• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Francigena

Gretel Schuck

Time of past OR future Camino
Francigena
To 11 days
You may want to try VF, it is really quite beautiful. One of the feeder routes starts in Spain. I started in Lausanne and went to Rome. There are several days that are flat, along canals - quite beautiful. Most of VF is out of the woods with stunning views
Feel free to contact me.
lots of monasteries along the route with reasonable lodging rates. And the “Via Francigena “ app has daily routes with lodging, difficulty notes etc
Gretel
Vermont, USA

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Gretel.... Thank you for sharing this. The VF sounds like a wonderful walk and I have been following a couple of YouTube videos about it, especially the one series by Efren

For those who are interested in this Pilgrimage route, there is a sub-Forum here on the Via Francigena which will provide a good resource for those who are thinking and planning on pursuing it.
Thanks @davebugg for the link to Efrens YouTube posts. I’ve viewed one or two of his minute videos before but have settled down in my Sunday morning chair (lol) to watch this series. He gives a lot of detail in one minute snippets but so uplifting/inspiring.. I think I’ll have to be content with watching though.

And @Gretel Schuck - good to read positive input on accommodation and possibilities for a short version in Italy. Thankyou.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Gretel.... Thank you for sharing this. The VF sounds like a wonderful walk and I have been following a couple of YouTube videos about it, especially the one series by Efren
Thanks, Dave for the link. I've been wondering what's up with Efren--loved his Camino video series.

Efren's vlog on the VF is fantastic - a very different approach to many vlogs and compelling viewing IMO.

The 31km section of the VF along the lake from Lausanne to Villeneuve is very beautiful - and FLAT if you choose to follow the lake! The actual VF route takes you through vineyards along the hills above the lake in a couple of places, with goosebump views across the lake to the mountains.

You can also take a ferry from town to town along the lake, and also across it as far as Geneva. I never took the ferry, but it would make a great excursion on a day off.

Speaking of ferries, try to arrange to cross the Po River in Italy with Danilo - if his private service is still running. Danilo is an institution on the VF and has been ferrying pilgrims across the Po River for many years. He has records of all his passengers in a big book that you can see in his house.

Bob M

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.