• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Frank"

KenStrange

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal Camino July 2022
My wife (Rory) and I hiked the Camino last May from SJPDP to SdC--our first time. In Santo Domingo de Calzada, I met a wonderful person, a Basque man named Francisco who insisted I call him "Frank." Turns out we had something in common. I wrote this short story for him. Buen Camino

Ken Strange
Thousand Oaks, California

Frank

Rory and I discovered the Hospedería Cisterciense hostel, a renovated 17th century Cistercian abbey in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Nuns dressed in the old-style [1]habits manned the reception. The place was redolent of holiness and grace. Even the dining room was a place of monastic tranquility.Small groups of tourists and pilgrims checked in, with the nuns providing that soothing touch. I have never seen so many smiling guests in my life. Is this what checking in to heaven would be like?

"Sister?"

"Yes, my son."

"Sister, for tomorrow’s walk, could you help me find lodging in the next village?"

"By God's grace, we will try."

I mean, who doesn't like to hear these sanctifying words coming from a receptionist?

That's when I met Frank.

He was standing in the lobby in his cycling shorts and uniform, a worn helmet tucked under his elbow. His mountain bike looked sturdy but a part had broken off and was in need of repair. This was a fellow I just had to know. Frank did not disappoint.

The nun gently admonished Frank saying bicycles had their proper place in the back of the abbey.

We exchanged pleasantries, the cyclist asking me where I was from. When I told him, he smiled widely, put a strong hand on my shoulder and let me know he had once been married to an American woman and been a plumber in Brooklyn. His rugged face and craggy features made me think of my father. His head was large, his body taut and muscular. Dirt, grime and sweat suggested a difficult stage.

“My name is Francisco, but you can call me Frank.”

Frank was Basque and informed me that not only had he walked the Camino but he had biked it six times.

However, it appeared we had intersected at a time when cycling mortality was knocking on Frank's door.

He shared with me that this Camino trip was not going so well. He was “under the weather” and his bicycle in need of repair. If he could rest a day or two with the nuns, he might get better. He could possibly continue.

He confided in me, however, that doubts had begun creeping in about his ability to get all the way to Santiago. There were still hundreds of miles to go with some challenging mountain stages awaiting. I realized he was talking to himself, not to me.

"This was going to be my last Camino.”

With a sense of resignation, he added," if I can't finish it, at least I know I tried."

However, I could only muster a hollow cliché in reply," You did everything you could Frank...everything."

Standing before me was an 89-year-old pilgrim who was broken but not beaten. His spirit was heroic. I wanted to hug this man who projected strength and courage and was attempting to finish life on his own terms. I knew someone like Frank would never go gently into that good night. And in Frank, I saw much of my own father who had recently alluded to his own mortality in a golf metaphor, “Son, I’ve come to the point in my life where I can now see the eighteenth hole.”

The nun interrupted us to say Frank's room was ready and they would soon bring his soup.

As I continued the Camino, I found myself, from time to time, looking over my shoulder for this Basque cyclist, this pilgrim who called himself Frank and had lived in Brooklyn a long time ago.

[1]A religious habit is s a distinctive set of religious clothing worn by members of a religious order.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back