• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Freaking out about pack weights

Doug, good morning.
I didn't form the acronym: it seems to have been accepted usage from 1907. The source: adolescent memory assisted by Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Aid_Nursing_Yeomanry

Viravani, good morning to you also.
Lambing was two or three months ago in this part of the world. And as shearing is still some way away, the sheep, young and old, are left pretty much to their own devices. In most paddocks I walk past when training it is quite common to see the ewes heavily encrusted with dags. So, the expression you easily quote could also be a very friendly suggestion that the mate hasn't had a wash/bath/shower for a long time.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I found the human body (or at least mine) gets used to the heavy pack within one to two weeks.

Thomas, greetings and I absolutely agree the human body can adjust to many things.

My choice is to enjoy my ara tapu Hemi (way/path/road of holy James) from the first step.
With that in mind, after many many months of trial and error, my pack comes in at 4.3 kg (9.5 lb) with water (up to 2.5 litres) additional. That includes changes of clothes and hose (socks) as well as my 250 mm (10 inch) tablet (for guides, maps, skype) and a kite, medical and personal care. Maximum weight is about 6.5 kg (14 lb).

All to support me for the six months or so I will be in the northern hemisphere and away from home. Thus carry-on luggage requirements are a big consideration.

Doug, good morning.
I didn't form the acronym: it seems to have been accepted usage from 1907. The source: adolescent memory assisted by Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Aid_Nursing_Yeomanry
My point is that, in polite company at least, it is more likely to be used merely as an abbreviation, and when spoken formed by its individual letters, not as an acronym and spoken as a word. Not all abbreviations are acronyms.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, speaking as another American, I would never consider the word fanny to be vulgar. A**, bu**, yes, but fanny? No. I do like "hip pack" better, especially since I wear mine in front.

Two countries divided by a common a language as GBS,Oscar Wilde or Churchill once said, depending on which source you believe.

Most English speakers are pretty familiar with the seeming howlers perpetrated in other versions of the tongue through films, books and TV and the odd unintentional vulgarity can be the start of many a mile's worth of conversation and companionship.

I doubt if many in the US have actually referred to the human backside as a "fanny" in many, many years. It's kind of a quaint, old fashioned term. Certainly not an offensive one. I've heard the terms "fanny pack, waist pack, hip pack", even "bum bag" in various parts of the world and as long as we know what we are referring to, who cares? I find the subtle differences charming rather than distasteful. To each their own.

I doubt if many in the US have actually referred to the human backside as a "fanny" in many, many years. It's kind of a quaint, old fashioned term. Certainly not an offensive one. I've heard the terms "fanny pack, waist pack, hip pack", even "bum bag" in various parts of the world and as long as we know what we are referring to, who cares? I find the subtle differences charming rather than distasteful. To each their own.
Jeesh, I just looked up what the term refers to in England -- and entirely different part of the anatomy. No wonder there was some consternation!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jeesh, I just looked up what the term refers to in England -- and entirely different part of the anatomy. No wonder there was some consternation!

I wouldn't worry about it. You can get away with "fannying around" and the venerable "Sweet Fanny Adams" from Dover to Berwick even though the first is demonstrably sexist and the second an obvious euphemism for something naughtier. The English used to get quite a laugh from "pants" for "trousers" and still do from "suspenders" for "braces" rather than the slightly racier British usage. I don't see that as being a reason for changing the US lexicon, so stick with your innocent fanny and ignore the English titters.

So, the expression you easily quote could also be a very friendly suggestion that the mate hasn't had a wash/bath/shower for a long time.
Ha ha, Alwyn...a usage that's all too appropriate for the Camino context!
Your pack weight is brilliant; I'd love to get mine down to that but in March the weather won't allow it.
Happy training, now that spring is here!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can get away with "fannying around" and the venerable "Sweet Fanny Adams" from Dover to Berwick even though the first is demonstrably sexist and the second an obvious euphemism for something naughtier.
You are right - the context in which these phrases get used would indicate a quite different meaning to using fanny as a reference to part of the human body.

I had always understood the phrase 'sweet Fanny Adams' and its variants was a reference the murder of a girl by that name, and the suggestion that some rather unpalatable tinned meat supplied to the Royal Navy might have contained some of her remains. I'm not sure what else it might be a euphemism for, other than its conventional meaning of 'nothing'!

You are right - the context in which these phrases get used would indicate a quite different meaning to using fanny as a reference to part of the human body.

I had always understood the phrase 'sweet Fanny Adams' and its variants was a reference the murder of a girl by that name, and the suggestion that some rather unpalatable tinned meat supplied to the Royal Navy might have contained some of her remains. I'm not sure what else it might be a euphemism for, other than its conventional meaning of 'nothing'!

"Sweet F A". The tinned meat is right but in my experience and according to impeccable internet sources,Miss Adams's name or initials are called into use as a euphemism for "f... all" more often than not.

It's sad that a young girl savagely murdered should have her name memorialised at least obliquely in this way but that's the reality.

"Sweet F A". The tinned meat is right but in my experience and according to impeccable internet sources,Miss Adams's name or initials are called into use as a euphemism for "f... all" more often than not.
I see where you are coming from. I had always taken the two phrases to be alternatives, one less vulgar than the other, for saying one was doing nothing, etc. Is the third alternative, 'Sweet FA', then an euphemism for both?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I see where you are coming from. I had always taken the two phrases to be alternatives, one less vulgar than the other, for saying one was doing nothing, etc. Is the third alternative, 'Sweet FA', then an euphemism for both?

Yes, that's probably the best way of putting it.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.