• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Freaking out about pack weights

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I've been seeing posts about people weighing everything and totaling grams and finding lighter options. This seems to make me anxious. Is it really necessary to travel with a tiny pack and bring hardly anything to be a "true Pilgrim'? Can I hear from people who took a few "extras" and were glad they did? I wont be leaving until next September, but I feel my competitive nature kicking in, and I just want to kick my own bum. (my mom wouldn't let me say "butt")I just don't want to compete or race in any way. opinions please??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's not being a 'true Pilgrim' you need to worry about, it's carrying the dashed stuff that becomes the problem. I packed as lightly as possible, but being a worrier couldn't resist packing for heat, cold, night, day, and everything and anything in between. In addition I couldn't do without the hair products I live by, etc, etc. The further I walked, the heavier and heavier the pack seemed to become, until I accused my friends of loading me down with their sins, and begged them to take them back!

I ended up giving away a pile of stuff and spent about E30 posting extra stuff from Post Office to Post Office. In a way I'm glad I did, as even though the junk I posted ahead could undoubtedly have been bought cheaper in Spain (IF I could have found a shop that sold what I wanted) it at least gave me some reassurance.

With regard to the hair products, I ended up not washing my (very difficult) hair for a week at a time, and used the shampoo mostly for washing clothes. One of the best things I did though was go to a hairdresser each time I came to a big city and that was just amazing! (Cost was around E20 for a shampoo and straightening irons). That was the best investment of the entire Camino!

By the way, I also walked in September, and if you would like to know what I would take if I was going now, feel free to private message me.

I'm not sure how to PM you on this forum. Maybe this is it. I was just wondering if there was something you really wished you'd taken with you. Did you go with low hiking shoes? I have some wonderful mid height, waterproof Keen leather boots that feel wonderful, even after some practice hikes. Would you leave them behind or take them for walking in September/October? Thanks for your help. I'm so excited. I need to settle down, or i'll implode long before my Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Joodle to PM someone go to your name at the top right of the page and hover over, or select, the "inbox". Then "start a new conversation".

But your post is fine in the open forum, I'm sure you will get lots of responses.

I've been seeing posts about people weighing everything and totaling grams and finding lighter options. This seems to make me anxious. Is it really necessary to travel with a tiny pack and bring hardly anything to be a "true Pilgrim'? Can I hear from people who took a few "extras" and were glad they did? I wont be leaving until next September, but I feel my competitive nature kicking in, and I just want to kick my own bum. (my mom wouldn't let me say "butt")I just don't want to compete or race in any way. opinions please??
Please don't freak out, like I said in another post if you're comfortable with it you'll be fine. I weighed everything separately (& again together) because that's the type of person I am. I also kept a detailed training log that included where I walked, the distance, how long it took, who I was with, if I took my dogs, if there was rain, sun, or snow. It's just my personality, if it's not yours, take what looks right, hike with it for a few days at home and then decide. There is no reason to obsess over a couple pounds.

For your other question I took some luxuries for sure. My Leatherman multi-tool, a knife sharpener, phone/charger, a jacket I didn't need but really like, and a pollo shirt. While on the Camino some luxuries I bought included a bottle of olive oil, a kitchen knife, olives, cheese, jamon, and chorizo. Then there was the bottle of wine I was given as a gift...

Not everyone weighs and measures everything- I didn't. When you are on the Camino you will see people with all sorts of packs and sizes of packs, just like you will see infinite variety in types of footwear and socks.

The amount/kind of clothing you need depends on what season you walk in, and layers work well. If you are petite you are likely to need a lighter pack than someone with a sturdier build, but it's certainly not necessary to buy all the latest hi-tech light gear. (It's amazing what options are available in cheaper shops if you do need new gear.)

September should still be reasonably warm, but you do reach high altitude in a few places where it can be cold any time.

I didn't weigh and measure my gear- and I did take too much. So I discarded some items, left others behind, posted some on/home. And that was all part of my Camino experience. I don't regret it. There was something very illuminating about walking along feeling my pack was too heavy, and deciding on just what items I would get rid of at the next stop! By the end I truly knew just how little I really needed.

When I started walking I thought that other people were 'true' pilgrims but that I was a fraud. About a week in I saw a man who seemed to be to epitomise a 'true pilgrim'- maybe it was his beard. But lo and behold, he was the very one I saw phoning for a taxi later that day when it rained too hard! (Maybe I would have been wise to have done the same!!) Anyhow, I don't think you need to angst that you are not being a 'true pilgrim': just work out what seems like 'you' and go for it!

Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As kiwi d said, it's not about who has the lightest pack, but rather how much weight can you comfortably carry. Bigger folks can carry more (but smaller folks' clothes weigh less...it often evens out.

I worked very hard to pare my weight down bc it would be carried on a 110# body with one bad arm. Complicated by the fact (as I've said on other posts) that I need warm clothes. and I was planning to walk long stretches without infrastructure/support for pilgrims. So I adjusted, weighed, evaluated, and re packed several times. I'd just left an organization that had me carry more than half my weight in a pack on marches, I wasn't going to do the same thing to myself. Still, I took an iphone, Spanish cell phone, chargers, rosary, talismans from friends and family etc. ---you figure out what's important to you as you carry it.

It is simple to decide what to bring....does the item bring me more comfort than the discomfort of carrying it?

There are people here with a lot of experience in making that call, but everyone is different, and being a "true pilgrim" has nothing to do with it. If a nice thick sleeping bag, or extra clothes, or even a hairdryer makes you happy and is worth hauling, do it!

Last edited:
Please don't freak out, like I said in another post if you're comfortable with it you'll be fine. I weighed everything separately (& again together) because that's the type of person I am. I also kept a detailed training log that included where I walked, the distance, how long it took, who I was with, if I took my dogs, if there was rain, sun, or snow. It's just my personality, if it's not yours, take what looks right, hike with it for a few days at home and then decide. There is no reason to obsess over a couple pounds.

For your other question I took some luxuries for sure. My Leatherman multi-tool, a knife sharpener, phone/charger, a jacket I didn't need but really like, and a pollo shirt. While on the Camino some luxuries I bought included a bottle of olive oil, a kitchen knife, olives, cheese, jamon, and chorizo. Then there was the bottle of wine I was given as a gift...
Your logs remind me of my marathon coach, who can tell you exactly what he wore/the weather/etc of any of his marathons (and mine as well, usually with footnotes about his opinion of my choices) :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is simple to decide what to bring....does the item bring me more comfort than the discomfort of carrying it?

There are people here with a lot of experience in making that call, bur everyone is different, and being a "true pilgrim" has nothing to do with it. If a nice thick sleeping bag, or extra clothes, or even a hairdryer makes you happy and is worth hauling, do it!
Hey, after either being rained or snowed upon for many, many days I happily bought a hair dryer in Bilbao--how else would my socks ever get dry in the cold, wet albergues :D

You have 10 months to prepare. Perhaps you should pack your pack and take it for a walk. See how it feels. U- tube has a lot of information regarding how to wear your pack. You might want to check that out too.

They say that you pack your fears in your backpack . A poncho in case it rains, a coat in case you are cold and the list goes on from there. Many suggest that you pack what you need and go from there.

Some "real pilgrims" use the service to send their pack ahead. Not every day perhaps, just on the more difficult legs. That option is available for you too.

I have no idea what a real Pilgrim is. We mostly are folks just doing out best regardless of our strength and weakness's. There is no grading system that I am aware of. It all comes from within. I have never heard anyone say to another Pilgrim, "I walk faster or longer that you, etc...." Because it doesn't matter. What is important, in my opinion, is to enjoy the experience, do your best, relax and most importantly, have fun.

It is my view that a successful Camino is very dependent on how your feet handle it all. There is a lot of information regarding foot care on this forum too. I would encourage you to check that out. You can always lighten your load from your pack but blisters can be a bigger problem and take longer to cure.

The good news is that you are not the first one to do this. Millions have done it before you and millions will follow. So relax, do your best and have a Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The first time I had any idea of how heavy my pack was was at the airport, checking in for my flight. It turned out I took little that I didn't use--mostly too much first-aid stuff.
I mailed some warm clothes to SdC from Pamplona and was very glad of that. On the advice of those here, though, I kept my Keen boots. Even though I only used them once after that, that once was a day that would have been more awful than it was without them. So on the shoulder seasons, it's a good idea to keep the boots even if mostly you won't need them. I walked in March--the September crowd would be better able to advise you about specific weather conditions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The weight of your pack has nothing to do with "true pilgrimness." If it did, probably one would say that the heavier, the better!

I am on the Camino now, carrying about 6.5 kg. I am a 125 lb 67-year-old and I can carry it all day without discomfort. I have seen many people much younger and stronger who are struggling with their packs. One day I had to help a strapping 22 year old who got a bad knee because of his ridiculous load. Whatever weight you decide on, take it out for at least one 20 km walk before you leave home! Include a good hill in the test walk.

I feel my competitive nature kicking in, and I just want to kick my own bum. (my mom wouldn't let me say "butt")I just don't want to compete or race in any way. opinions please??

I think your on the right track about this as so many times people would breeze by us - only later to be sitting on the side of the trail with their shoes off as we walked (same slow pace) by.

Since you have about a year you might want to try this. Walk one day with 25lbs in your pack about 25 km - most guides seem to average this as the recommended daily distance. Wait a week and walk with 12 lbs the same distance and you tell us what the difference is. If you feel like you can handle the heavier weight with no issues then you answered your own question. If your young and in good condition then most of this may not impact you the same as others. Just keep in mind that the impact the extra weight will have on your feet by way of blisters which even a person in good condition will be contending with.

Buen Camino

Mark

I'm not sure how to PM you on this forum. Maybe this is it. I was just wondering if there was something you really wished you'd taken with you. Did you go with low hiking shoes? I have some wonderful mid height, waterproof Keen leather boots that feel wonderful, even after some practice hikes. Would you leave them behind or take them for walking in September/October? Thanks for your help. I'm so excited. I need to settle down, or i'll implode long before my Camino!!
I wore waterproof boots, and loved them, but they were fairly light ones, not leather, so can't really comment on your Keens. If they feel really comfortable though, then you're probably on the right track. The other pair I took for after walking were Sketchers Go Walk and they were brilliant, and very light.

One very good suggestion from here was to test everything before you leave home, even if it means wearing your rain gear in the shower - that's how I found the rain jacket I'd planned to take made me wetter on the inside than it was outside! And another suggestion is to take practice walks wearing your loaded backpack and boots (I used library books and my son's dive weights). I felt an idiot walking around city suburbia looking like a bag lady, but I got over it and it did help me work out my limit.

Good post, Joodle - and welcome to the forum. All of the replies, the brilliant replies, are true.

The particular phrase that caught me was Dennis D's "They say that you pack your fears in your backpack" - how perfect an explanation is that for overloading!!

The thing about carrying too much or extra stuff is that it increases the stress on your body - not a good thing. To pack for every possible eventuality would necessitate you taking at least three sherpas or donkeys along to carry it all so you trim it down. "Is it what I might need or is it what I do need" is a good way to go - and there are shops in Spain, just like home :).
For me it really comes down to ones relationship with possessions. The given is that we own things but the opposite is actually true, they own us, they possess us. We store them, clean them, insure them, dust them, worry about their condition .... and so much of our stuff we just don't use, they just clutter up our lives and where we live. Try this - go through your bedroom and make a pile of every single thing that you haven't worn or used for, say, a year. If it is a big pile then you are the sort of person who is likely to overload their packing too.

Regardless of what you may hear there is no such thing as a 'true' pilgrim, as long as the intent is to go to the cathedral at Santiago - pilgrimage is about intent not really about how one does it.

Enjoy all of your planning - it is very much part of your pilgrimage!!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Good post, Joodle - and welcome to the forum. All of the replies, the brilliant replies, are true.

The particular phrase that caught me was Denis D's "They say that you pack your fears in your backpack" - how perfect and explanation is that for overloading!!

The thing about carrying too much or extra stuff is that it increases the stress on your body - not a good thing. To pack for every possible eventuality would necessitate you taking at least three sherpas or donkeys along to carry it all so you trim it down. "Is it what I might need or is it what I do need" is a good way to go - and there are shops in Spain, just like home :).
For me it really comes down to ones relationship with possessions. The given is that we own things but the opposite is actually true, they own us, they possess us. We store them, clean them, insure them, dust them, worry about their condition .... and so much of our stuff we just don't use, they just clutter up our lives and where we live. Try this - go through your bedroom and make a pile of every single thing that you haven't worn or used for, say, a year. If it is a big pile then you are the sort of person who is likely to overload their packing too.

Regardless of what you may hear there is no such thing as a 'true' pilgrim, as long as the intent is to go to the cathedral at Santiago - pilgrimage is about intent not really about how one does it.

Buen Camino![/QU

The particular phrase that caught me was Denis D's "They say that you pack your fears in your backpack" - how perfect and explanation is that for overloading!!

Buen Camino!
Thanks David and everyone who gave suggestions and imparted of their wisdom. I will take everything into advisement and pack accordingly. I have simple needs and have never been a "pretty princess" so I think I will be a light packer too. My goals are to stay warm and not starve. Pretty simple!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't freak out about pack weights. Go as light as you feel comfortable with and remember that you will need a bit less than you think. We walked in Sept. and I found that two t shirts, one light weight long sleeve shirt, three underwear and two pairs of convertables, one pair and one a bit heavier, a raincoat and a down vest, and three pairs of wool socks and three pairs liners were adequate. That being said I also brought along a light weight backpacking stove with a coffee press to make coffee with in the morning and on a break some days. It was worth the weight and I was glad I took it. We used silk mummy style liners that we had expanded with large darts to increase interior volume and we carried a pillow case and very light weight sleeping quilts from Odyssey in Minnesota I believe. The light weight towel, wash cloth combination packs work well enough and bronners bar soap worked for showers and laundry. We didn't bring sleeping pads, but I also carry a CPAP machine and all the plugs etc. to keep electronics going. A good cell phone takes nice pictures and there is wifi along the route as well as cell service. Just relax and do your own thing. After all it is just a walk in the park, so to speak.

Don't fret about it, it's an excercise betweencomfort when walking and comfort when in need. For example: sleeping bag? Type of shoe for evenings and shower. Raingear? Nappy pins vs cloaths pins for hanging laundry. Soap, shampoo, landry soap, or 1 that can do it all.

After 5 Caminos I like my choices: sleeping bag, rain pants, jacket, umbrella and Altus. Too much for many, certainly, but I have been wet and cold and do not ever want to find myself in that situation again. I also carry iphone and ipad mini. But to be able to carry that I shop for the lightest pants, shirts, shoes, etc.

It's a process, but one we love to help with here. Post your lost of itemsand weights and you will get lots of advice, often contradictry :D

Hi. Spain is a sophisticated country and there are opertunities to change things. You will be surprised at how little you need, I made friends and we shared stuff. A few luxuries are good for example a cork screw for those picnic lunches and take some bubble wrap to sit on, a plug for sinks a length of cord and a few nappy pins not safety pins as some times you need a washing line It's not an ordeal but so much fun. My luxury was a Kindle

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I replied earlier but left something out that I would have liked to have known before hand. There are excellent and reasonably priced equipment stores starting in Ste. Jean and found in every major town thereafter. You could outfit completely after arrival and not bring anything with you if you wanted.

Hi. Spain is a sophisticated country and there are opertunities to change things. You will be surprised at how little you need, I made friends and we shared stuff. A few luxuries are good for example a cork screw for those picnic lunches and take some bubble wrap to sit on, a plug for sinks a length of cord and a few nappy pins not safety pins as some times you need a washing line It's not an ordeal but so much fun. My luxury was a Kindle
I think my luxury will be a Kindle too. I'd rather leave makeup than my kindle!

I think my luxury will be a Kindle too. I'd rather leave makeup than my kindle!
Your kindle can be loaded with guide books etc. I have a large men's silk square the type worn around the waist in Galicia by men. I used it as a neck scarf, head scarf to keep sun off. Over my torso when having an afternoon siesta it was very useful. I met some girls who had silk shift dresses which they walked in, warm and cool. Plus they added a scarf for the evening. It's not all about trekking clothes sometimes alternatives are better. I hated my poncho just as wet inside as out on a warm wet day. I'm taking an umbrella next time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did weigh items individually and even had a spread sheet. The value of this is that it immediately showed me what things actually weighed. It was very useful when it came to making a choice...... this tee shirt or that one, which jacket, and so on. It made it much easier to leave things out. And yes I might take my Kindle next year, but it does weigh 300 grams. Hmmmm.

Your kindle can be loaded with guide books etc. I have a large men's silk square the type worn around the waist in Galicia by men. I used it as a neck scarf, head scarf to keep sun off. Over my torso when having an afternoon siesta it was very useful. I met some girls who had silk shift dresses which they walked in, warm and cool. Plus they added a scarf for the evening. It's not all about trekking clothes sometimes alternatives are better. I hated my poncho just as wet inside as out on a warm wet day. I'm taking an umbrella next time
Thanks for the tips. I have already decided to take an umbrella after reading lots of posts about underachieving rain gear.

Good post, by the way - and lots of good answers.

I don't think you need a spreadsheet - but you might want to post your packing list and get feedback.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That being said I also brought along a light weight backpacking stove with a coffee press to make coffee with in the morning and on a break some days. It was worth the weight and I was glad I took it.

At the risk of upsetting Al and others, surely "light weight backpacking stove" is either an oxymoron or possibly a typo (backbreaking?) - you can tell that I'm not a coffee drinker

And, just to confirm that our aim of saving weight is not to be any more of a true pilgrim - instead it is merely to make our passage to Santiago as easy as possible - excess weight does not magically disappear merely by carrying it in a heavy rucksack - any extra weight has to be carried up hills and down for some 200/300 hours

Hi.
Good post, by the way - and lots of good answers.

I don't think you need a spreadsheet - but you might want to post your packing list and get feedback.
Hi I walked a total of 65 days and managed with one change of clothes. I tested stuff and worked out what was good for me. Example wool underwear keeps you warm when it's cold cool when hot doesn't get clammy and dries over night. I had a uniglo feather light down jacket and a buffalo wind shirt, one thermal long sleeved Rohan top and two shirts. The number of combinations meant u was never cold on frosty mornings nor hot in 35degrres of sun. Whatever decisions you make are right everyone is different. My pack was 25 litres and quite sufficient for me. I took two pairs of thick 1000 mile socks but gave a pair away. I washed them out every night and they where dry by morning. It's the extras which add up. The kindle was a must though

Good stuff, keep it coming! We Camino babies rely on you "Old timers" (wisdom wise, not age wise) to help prepare us to go from embryos, to full fledged Pilgrims. I thank you in advance for any sage advice, even from a teenager or younger!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi.

Hi I walked a total of 65 days and managed with one change of clothes. I tested stuff and worked out what was good for me. Example wool underwear keeps you warm when it's cold cool when hot doesn't get clammy and dries over night. I had a uniglo feather light down jacket and a buffalo wind shirt, one thermal long sleeved Rohan top and two shirts. The number of combinations meant u was never cold on frosty mornings nor hot in 35degrres of sun. Whatever decisions you make are right everyone is different. My pack was 25 litres and quite sufficient for me. I took two pairs of thick 1000 mile socks but gave a pair away. I washed them out every night and they where dry by morning. It's the extras which add up. The kindle was a must though
Did you take a good cover for your kindle or was it naked? I'm concerned about stuffing a naked Kindle into a backpack Gotta save weight. See? I'm learning, I can be taught ! lol

Did you take a good cover for your kindle or was it naked? I'm concerned about stuffing a naked Kindle into a backpack Gotta save weight. See? I'm learning, I can be taught ! lol
I had a lovely leather cover which I took. And when I got a stamp in a Portuguse fire station on Camino Portuguese costal I left it behind with all my documents An hour later still not knowing a motorcycle roared up and a fireman jumped off and gave it all to me. I didn't even know it was missing. The Portuguese Camino costal was a wonderful experience with only 500 doing it in 2014. The people are so kind. I asked a lady for some water who was doing her garden and she filled my bottles with ice first. And I can give you lots more examples of acts of random kindness.

You are getting such wonderful advice, hints and tips! I hope to benefit from some of these when I set out on the second stage of my camino next year.

Kindle - I got a clear plastic screen cover for mine so I wasn't too bothered about it knocking around in my backpack, but I then found just before I left a cosmetic bag just big enough to squeeze it into, so I did carry it in that for extra protection. A couple of days when I sent my backpack ahead, I just stuffed the kindle into the drysack with my change of clothes for extra security/protection.

And I wore leather boots. Heavy, yes, but it was all about comfort as far as I was concerned, as I suffer from plantar fasciitis. Wearing them was like a splint, and helped my sore achilles tendons as well. I have Merrell goretex boots, but don't find them nearly as comfortable as the leather boots.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At the risk of upsetting Al and others, surely "light weight backpacking stove" is either an oxymoron or possibly a typo (backbreaking?) - you can tell that I'm not a coffee drinker

And, just to confirm that our aim of saving weight is not to be any more of a true pilgrim - instead it is merely to make our passage to Santiago as easy as possible - excess weight does not magically disappear merely by carrying it in a heavy rucksack - any extra weight has to be carried up hills and down for some 200/300 hours
To each his own. I would never carry a kindle and the stove and coffee weighed about the same. I just wouldn't impose by implying an oxymoron on something I obviously knew nothing about. I have met some people that carried a heavier load of, to be polite, horse dung.

I was thinking of taking my kindle, but I just got an iPhone with a larger screen. Now thinking to put guidebooks, etc on phone, have one less thing to carry, charge, etc.

I had a lovely leather cover which I took. And when I got a stamp in a Portuguse fire station on Camino Portuguese costal I left it behind with all my documents An hour later still not knowing a motorcycle roared up and a fireman jumped off and gave it all to me. I didn't even know it was missing. The Portuguese Camino costal was a wonderful experience with only 500 doing it in 2014. The people are so kind. I asked a lady for some water who was doing her garden and she filled my bottles with ice first. And I can give you lots more examples of acts of random kindness.
One more thin
You are getting such wonderful advice, hints and tips! I hope to benefit from some of these when I set out on the second stage of my camino next year.

Kindle - I got a clear plastic screen cover for mine so I wasn't too bothered about it knocking around in my backpack, but I then found just before I left a cosmetic bag just big enough to squeeze it into, so I did carry it in that for extra protection. A couple of days when I sent my backpack ahead, I just stuffed the kindle into the drysack with my change of clothes for extra security/protection.

And I wore leather boots. Heavy, yes, but it was all about comfort as far as I was concerned, as I suffer from plantar fasciitis. Wearing them was like a splint, and helped my sore achilles tendons as well. I have Merrell goretex boots, but don't find them nearly as comfortable as the leather boots.
Hi. I wore Mindel Lugano leather trail shoes not water proff so my feet never sweated Never had a blister or trouble. Wore heavy weight 1000 mile socks. Can't recommend them enough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stopped considering myself a 'true pilgrim' the day I packed that third pair of undies. :eek: To make myself more of a fraud I also packed a third pair of socks, despite having no intention of doubling up to prevent blisters. And a torch. Don't tell anyone or I'll be banned from every albergue in Christendom.

@Joodle, my view is that there are true pilgrims, and you too may be one. But what you wear, how much you carry, how you travel and where you sleep won't be the things that make you one - they are mere externalities. They say nothing about your intent, and as @David does say, that and your attitude will mark you out to your fellow pilgrims and others, not the size of your physical load.

And on your original question, I have walked twice in the early spring, and both times have carried more than what might have been considered the minimum necessary. If you do carry more, you will be slower than you might otherwise have been, and perhaps a little more tired at the end of each day. I quickly learnt what I thought was unnecessary, and posted those things forward to collect when I had finished. Others don't bother posting it but leave it in albergues, perhaps thinking that another pilgrim might find it useful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did weigh all stuff separately and together in a backpack, more than once. Did change a lot and kept all in a spreadsheet (yes with categories, sums, colours and place in the backpack) - the ones I used and other left at home. But I just like to keep it in order and with numbers, and kept a walk log too. It also shows what I have now, what I had and removed etc.
Used Keen boots, heavy and super comfortable - then again walked in those (with intentionally heavier backpack) before more than during the Camino (and switched to lighter speed hiking shoes next year).

My luxury items were Kindle and compact camera although smartphone could do both, to some degree. About Kindle - for me it's just much more comfortable to read using Kindle than smartphone. Also battery life makes a difference. I used Paperwhite II which was great in low light conditions or after ligths off. Left the cover at home and used plastic adhesive screen shield/cover. It was always in the zip lock bag with thin notebook for my spanish (which worked as a screen cover) and put in inner lid pocket. Worked great.

In my opinion, do not freak about backpack weight, rather think of it as a way to make the Way easier.

Ahh and forum provides great source of hints and knowledge from experienced Pilgrims.

I did weigh all stuff separately and together in a backpack, more than once. Did change a lot and kept all in a spreadsheet (yes with categories, sums, colours and place in the backpack) - the ones I used and other left at home. But I just like to keep it in order and with numbers, and kept a walk log too. It also shows what I have now, what I had and removed etc.
Used Keen boots, heavy and super comfortable - then again walked in those (with intentionally heavier backpack) before more than during the Camino (and switched to lighter speed hiking shoes next year).

My luxury items were Kindle and compact camera although smartphone could do both, to some degree. About Kindle - for me it's just much more comfortable to read using Kindle than smartphone. Also battery life makes a difference. I used Paperwhite II which was great in low light conditions or after ligths off. Left the cover at home and used plastic adhesive screen shield/cover. It was always in the zip lock bag with thin notebook for my spanish (which worked as a screen cover) and put in inner lid pocket. Worked great.

In my opinion, do not freak about backpack weight, rather think of it as a way to make the Way easier.

Ahh and forum provides great source of hints and knowledge from experienced Pilgrims.
your observations on Kindle v Smart phone are spot on. Sometimes I read in the small hours when my phone was on charge somewhere else. But most of all reading from a kindle is so much nicer. It's a luxury I won't be without. It's all so personnel what we take, think we need but don't really. For me a 25 l rucksack with a daily food bag hanging off is plenty. But I felt liberated by having so little and embracing the unknown. As a travelling companion said. Trust in our Lord and be sensible all will be well, it was.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Light roll top dry sacks, comes in various sizes and great at keeping your stuff dry and organized.
I use three of them, I trust these better than trash bags or zip lock bags.
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/range/dri-saks/dri-sak

How long is the Portuguese Camino? Is there good infrastructure or is it a little more primitive. I'm not afraid of roughing it, just about safety for women.

How long is the Portuguese Camino? Is there good infrastructure or is it a little more primitive. I'm not afraid of roughing it, just about safety for women.
Very good question. My honest answer is that some of it was in remote euculaptus woods with the arrows on trees and though there were rocks painted to it was occasionally a little hard to follow. I made a consoles effort to always remember the last arrow. I met a Spanish pilgrim she was about 35 with two Portuguse pilgrims who had made alternative arrangements for three days. The Spanish lady a journalist who had walked all the Camino's suggested we walk together for safety. Otherwise the marking was excellent and I really mean excellent. As for places to stay there was only one in each town which were at the end of the stages. But saying that I spent two nights alone in 30 bed hostels and several with only half a dozen at other large hostel. No hostel was more than half full so accommodation in May was not an issue There is a guide book 'the Portuguse way to Santiago de composter a by objectivo anoimo. Isbn 978-989-8256-46-1. Email info@objectoanonimo.com. I bumped into them and was given a copy. Long story

Although I love to read, I'm a bit of a Luddite and settled (probably the wrong word!) on good conversation instead of a Kindle or my heavy books. Instead my bit of extra weight went on a short sarong - makes for versatile skirt, scarf, beach towel, etc. Oh, and those 1000 mile socks are an absolute winner! I understand the imploding with excitement phase. I literally skip with excitement when I think about going off on Camino! Enjoy it all!

You have already received much good advice from people who have already completed the Camino, even multiple times. My advice is from one who is also in the planning process. So, here goes:

1. Enjoy the process. Look at each decision as a chance to learn about your needs, your desires. There is nothing you decide that can't be altered on the way.
2. Walk away when you are feeling anxious. One night, I was feverishly reading/research something as the time slipped by. I felt that same anxiety you're feeling now. I resolved to not descend into that pit again. So, put it all away -- you have plenty of time to come back to it.
3. Make your decisions in the manner you make any other decisions. If you are a data nerd, weigh everything. If not, stuff it into your backpack and see how it feels. (I am a nerd, so weighed everything, but my husband would never have bothered.)
4. Take a deep breath -- you have much support here, and I know there will be much support on The Way.

Utreya!

Hola Joodle - well we talk about a post "going viral" and this is one - 45 responses (now 46) in less than two days and I doubt I have seen a group of more practical responses. (Mods maybe it should be a sticky for a month or so!!).
About the only extra advice I could offer - on top of the great one (by Dennis D. I think) about doing trial walks with the pack at walking weight - is that if you are starting in St Jean then you have between 3 and 5 days (depending on whether you follow Brierley - I wouldn't - I would take at least 5) to reach Pamplona. At Pamplona you can do a check of the stuff you have not used and then determine if you need it and "have to carry it"! The non-essential luxuries you can send to Ivar (our Forum Master) who operates a "left luggage" service in Santiago. As you are walking in September I would definitely keep a mid-level fleece; a good quality rain coat and a waterproof cover for you pack. Buen Camino.:):rolleyes:

I (personally) do not see the need for a stove on the CF, but they are not that heavy. Most are between 300-400 grams. Mine is on the low end of that. Then you also need to add the fuel weight as well, but they still are not bad.

Another suggestion, though it may not work for people limited by time is that I walked very short distances for the first three days (I left from Pamplona) - 11.5km, 12.5km, then 14km then after that stepped it up to around 20km - 30km. I knew from my practice walks that I could do the shorter distances easily, but it enabled me to see what worked and what didn't i.e. how the back weight needed to be distributed, which socks worked best etc.

I knew I couldn't live without something to read, as I get through a book per day at home, so I took a Samsung S3 phone, as that had the biggest screen, and loaded it up with books. I emailed almost every day, and this became my diary. I used the app Map My Walk and posted where I'd walked online so my family could keep track of where I was. With Samsung I could drop in a Spanish sim as I wanted to be able to phone to book ahead if necessary but free Wifi was everywhere if you don't need to do that. The Wise Pilgrim app was great for looking up albergues and I also used a translation app which came in very handy - they understood me even though I didn't have a clue what they answered! I just said 'vale, vale (okay, okay) to everything and it all worked out fine. The other luxury I took was a portable battery with an extra phone cable.

I didn't find there was anything I needed that I hadn't included, but then, I took everything including the sink plug, which was one of the items that ended up getting posted ahead, so on the one occasion when I could have done with it, I didn't have it. I agree about drybags and I think I ended up with pretty similar clothing mentioned by Hugh (though cheaper brands) in his post above, however 1000 mile socks were far too hot for me, so I used thin Nike Coolmax socks instead. Be careful about socks with a seam running across the top of the toes, I had to avoid these as I found they rubbed.

Do I prefer my Kindle to the Kindle phone app? Of course! So much that I would carry it? Ummm, no. I've read a lot of books on an iPhone. You need to give it a few days, but you get very used to the smaller format.

Do I prefer my Kindle to the Kindle phone app? Of course! So much that I would carry it? Ummm, no. I've read a lot of books on an iPhone. You need to give it a few days, but you get very used to the smaller format.
I carried both an old iPhone4 and a new iPad-Air2. Next time I will have upgraded to an iPhone6S or whatever is newest available and with the larger screen I doubt I will need the iPad. Also even for a month a Spanish SIM is helpful (especially for internal calls). Of course there are those who prefer to be "cut off" whilst on Camino - I can understand, but have an alternative view.
Cheers

Another suggestion, though it may not work for people limited by time is that I walked very short distances for the first three days (I left from Pamplona) - 11.5km, 12.5km, then 14km then after that stepped it up to around 20km - 30km. I knew from my practice walks that I could do the shorter distances easily, but it enabled me to see what worked and what didn't i.e. how the back weight needed to be distributed, which socks worked best etc.

I knew I couldn't live without something to read, as I get through a book per day at home, so I took a Samsung S3 phone, as that had the biggest screen, and loaded it up with books. I emailed almost every day, and this became my diary. I used the app Map My Walk and posted where I'd walked online so my family could keep track of where I was. With Samsung I could drop in a Spanish sim as I wanted to be able to phone to book ahead if necessary but free Wifi was everywhere if you don't need to do that. The Wise Pilgrim app was great for looking up albergues and I also used a translation app which came in very handy - they understood me even though I didn't have a clue what they answered! I just said 'vale, vale (okay, okay) to everything and it all worked out fine. The other luxury I took was a portable battery with an extra phone cable.

I didn't find there was anything I needed that I hadn't included, but then, I took everything including the sink plug, which was one of the items that ended up getting posted ahead, so on the one occasion when I could have done with it, I didn't have it. I agree about drybags and I think I ended up with pretty similar clothing mentioned by Hugh (though cheaper brands) in his post above, however 1000 mile socks were far too hot for me, so I used thin Nike Coolmax socks instead. Be careful about socks with a seam running across the top of the toes, I had to avoid these as I found they rubbed.
Thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me. I appreciate it so much in this exciting, planning stage.

This is what I took with me and what I paid for all this gear. I know it looks like it is a lot, but my back pack only weighed about 7.5 kg. including water. (at the beginning. It weighed less at the end as I dumped a few things along the way) Most days I only filled my bottles half way full, exceptions were days when I knew it would be very hot or there would be long distances without access to drinks.

Deuter Back Pack ACT LITE 35+10L, 1580 gr. 139.95€
Meindl Hiking Boots w/Gore-tex Vakuum Lady Ulra, 199.95€
Meru goa comfort Sleeping Bag, 830gr, 39.95€
Komperdell Trekking Poles, 39.95€
Meru knee length fleece jacket, 69.95€
Anzoni Poncho, 520 gr. 59.99€
Moorhead black hiking pants, 39.00€
Mammut brown hiking pants, 54.95€
OCK long sleeve hiking blouse, 19.95 €
OCK short sleeve hiking blouse, 29.95€
Eagle Creek black silk money belt, 24.95€
Hip pouch, 8.50€
2 wide mouth plastic bottles, total 5.90€
sunglasses, 19.95
4 pair wool socks, 40.00€
mini solar light, 9.95€
mini whistle, 4.95€
karibiner clip, 1.99€
German guide book, Jakobweg, 14.90€
2 pair REI sock liners, total, 12.00€
Canon Ixus camera, 139.00€
Swiss Army Knife

Knee length sleeveless night gown
Long sleeve turtle neck t-shirt
Short sleeve t-shirt
Cuddle Duds long underwear (wore at night or while doing laundry)
2 bras
3 pair underwear
10 plastic clothespins
10 large safety pins
2 shoelaces (used for sleeping bag instead of stuff sack)
Baseball cap
Pillow case
Pashmina scarf
Cheap flip flops, 1.00€
Sketcher slip on shoes, very light (wore evenings and for walking around towns)
Travel toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, shower gel, hair brush) in zip-lock bag
Rick Steves quick dry travel towel, 77x128 cm
Laundry soap in a tube, 10 plastic clothes pins
First aid kit (bandaid strip, corn patches, 60 aspirin, Immodium, Benadryl, antiseptic cream, bug-bite cream) in zip-lock bag
very light fleece gloves
Bandanna cut into 1/4ths, in a zip lock bag to use as TP while walking
4 light mesh packing bags, 2 €
2 pens
Pilgrim Credential, 2.50€
Camino Passport/Credential Cover, 2.00€
* "Just Enough Spanish" book
* "Maps Only Guide" John Brierly, 11.90€
* Plastic Travel bag for Back Pack, 6.95€
* Bathing Suit

* items that I left behind along the way

What items didn't I use?
Long sleeve t-shirt, bathing suit, plastic travel bag, sunglasses, solar light, karibiner clip, Maps Only guide, Just Enough Spanish book, Gloves, travel utensils, Swiss Army Knife

What should I have brought?
Another long sleeve hiking blouse instead of the 2 t-shirts, a fitted sheet treated with bed-bug spray, smaller laundry soap tube, travel deo, a water proof hip pack, small embroidery scissors

Loved my Anzoni poncho and nothing got wet. Similar to an Altus or Tatonka poncho with the pocket on the back for your pack.

Joodle, regardless of what the weight is on your backpack will not make you a "true pilgrims", its what you carry in your heart the counts :)

Buen Camino
Zzotte

I think of it as: conversation, talks, socialising and reading. Not as conversation or reading. There is so much time for both.
As always, to each his own :).

... Is it really necessary to travel with a tiny pack and bring hardly anything to be a "true Pilgrim'? ...

It is not about being a 'true pilgrim' it is simply about walking the way without any unnecessary external burdens. The less you carry the lighter your walk will be. Just try it out. Pack your bag with 10kg and go for a long walk and pack it with 5 kg and go for the same walk. Which one did you enjoy more? If you pack too much of what you really don't need you will be mostly focused on the weight on your back, less being able to expand to the experiences around you. Buen Camino, SY

I am loving this thread! See what you have done Joodle! :)
I'm a hybrid realist/dreamer type person. I wanted to know what i was really getting into. It was just sounding too good and I needed the truth. And we are getting the truth, aren't we? I love it. I just want to have the facts so I can know how to arm myself with proper proportion of courage and idiocy to have a Buen Camino!!

There's so much angst about what to take how to prepare. To go alone or with a friend. We're all different, what ever you decide it can be changed whenever you want. I started with a great friend but he had to go back to work after ten days. I then met eight random people all travelling separately and we became true Camino friends and still very much in contact. It's what's inside you that really counts

The thing is, as mentioned above, some of us are packing our fears in our backpacks while others seem to be able to manage with only a loincloth, two sticking plasters and a strip of floss! These lucky people don't seem to need contacts, hearing aid batteries, medications, chargers, pens, rain gear, clothes in case it's warm, clothes in case it's cold....

I probably carried about 9kg, rather than the 6kg that would have been much more appropriate to my weight. Would I do that again? Good grief no, now I know better! But would I have been content to go into the unknown without the items to comfort my mind? No again. It would have added too much stress to the preparation of the journey, and the journey itself.

As everyone will tell you, try to prune what you're going to take as viciously as possible, knowing that you are so going to regret taking whatever you thought you really couldn't do without. It's not called being wise after the event for no reason... o_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great thread and very helpful. All I can say is that after nine caminos, most over 600 km in length, I am still fine-tuning. So don't stress too much about making "perfect" choices. If you take too much you can post things to Ivar, if you take too little there are shops along the way. Plus wagons of discards in the back rooms of albergues.

The more you plan, the more you think you'll need.

Remember, you can buy just about anything in Spain. When in doubt, leave it out.

Also, be creative. We have used the extra socks as gloves, the spare inner tube as a compression bandage, and duct tape for..... well, just about everything.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Start packing, take what you want and than weigh it. If it is too much, take some stuff out.

I carry about 9-10kg excl food and i bring wayyyy too much, but hey..it does not bother me.

3-4 pairs of socks
4 tshirts
4 boxers
2 trousers
2 towels
1 portable bluetooth radio to go with my music on iphone
1 e-reader
Flashlight
Battery pack for phone/flashlight
All chargers needed for above items
And than some......

Could i bring less? Yep. Do i want to? Nope. I like my music and ereader alot and i dont like to wash clothes every day.

10% "rule"? Forget about it. Just make sure the weight you bring is still comfortable enough for you to carry. Thats all that matters.

If you want to race is who has the lightest? Again, forget about it....there is always someone lighter.

Lol, please allow me. I can't resist, see my post in the thread about annoying habits. First numbers are for a summer camino, second for a colder one.

2-3 pairs of socks
2-3 tshirts
2-3 boxers
2 trousers
1 towels
1 portable bluetooth radio to go with my music on iphone - NO! Sadly the editor in this forum has no strike-thru option ...
1 e-reader - use app on phone instead
Flashlight - no
Battery pack for phone/flashlight, All chargers needed for above items - either or
And than some...... - that are the truly dangerous ones ...

Could i bring less? Yep. Do i want to? Nope. I like my music and ereader alot and i dont like to wash clothes every day. - And do you like carrying more weight than necessary???

10% "rule"? Forget about it. Just make sure the weight you bring is still comfortable enough for you to carry. Thats all that matters. - I agree, to a certain extend ...

If you want to race is who has the lightest? Again, forget about it....there is always someone lighter.
And we can learn of those.

*Ducks and hides and wishes Buen Camino* SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you can buy just about anything in Spain

That's a very important thing to remember. I'm on the "I measure everything" team, as I'm quite small and do not handle much weight (1,52m and 50kg).

Anything extra I needed along the way, I bought over there. Like an extra pair of socks when ours got swamped after a long day in the rain.
It's very easy to buy clothes in Spain, so I would not bother to be prepared for all hot, cold, rain, snow, hurricane and meteor shower condition that could come by. Take the basics and adjust over there if you need to.

@SYates and do i like carrying more weight than necesseray? Eh, no, i hate it.
Like i said, i love all my "unnecessary" stuff and use it every day, so for me there is nothing unnecessary about it.
Except for my small flashlight. I dont use it every day, but this thing can shine like an 18 wheeler and therefor it is the coolest thing ever haha (imho) ;)

As for the clothes? If this keeps me from daily spending (read; waisting) time washing my clothes, yep!

I most certainly learn from the people who hardly bring anything. The extreme lightweight travellers.
I learn that i dont want to wear my boxers for 3 days in a row, i dont like to use a thirt for more than one day ect ect 'cause apparently i am not the only one who does not want to wash clothes every day.

I guess 'unnecessary' is in the eye of the......carrier.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...I'm definitely on the "weigh / measure everything' team too - with rheumatoid arthritis, lack of cartilage in my knees, collapsed arches and pronate feet ... what I carried on my back was important - for my first Camino May-June 2014, I set out all the things I thought I would need (for every 'maybe / just in case') then weighed it the first time - 11kg - made me pack, weight, repack, weigh - and each time really looking at what had to stay and what I could do without / buy in Spain. Having a excel spreadsheet helped a lot for this exercise. For my Camino this year May-June, I hauled out the list - and largely used the same items again - what I changed for this year - I swapped those zip off hike pants for First Ascent running leggings (a) they're much lighter - 2 pairs weight the same as one pair of the zip offs (b) they dry much faster. The 'luxury' but very multi purpose item I took along, and definitely worth the weight - a sarong: used for privacy curtain in cramped packed albergues; as a bottom sheet; as a top sheet; as a wraparound dress when everything was being washed in a washing machine; a side of the road picnic blanket; a skirt; a spare towel; a pillow; a wrap; a shade cloth during hot sunny day rest breaks etc ... my spreadsheet included - 1st column: total pack weight with backpack but without water and food 5,301kg - 2nd column: waist bag (bum bag / fanny pack in the US) to carry cash, card, passports 3rd column: items on my body or in my hands. Even with a pack weight of 5301 (or less on days where I was wearing more clothing and the poncho) there were days when it felt a LOT heavier... this year I swapped out the Kindle, phone etc for a mini iPad and iPod. I'm walking the Italian section of the Via Francigena and the Camino Portugese May-July 2016 and will take the exact same items. happy planning ....

Attachments

• Camino Packing list 2014.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 23
I used my sarong last year for everything you mentioned but the dress. Most appreciated it the night in Najera at the muni where the guy in the other bottom bunk slept on his side all night, facing my direction. Just not in the mood to see that every time I awoke!!! (not that his face was unpleasant, just that it was soooo dang close!)

I find it helpful to limit my 'extras' to inexpensive or not-my-style items that I won't feel badly about ditching. That extra shirt or sweater that I might be glad to have, especially in transit to my starting point, usually gets purchased at a charity shop or has been in my closet unused for years. I used a phone for my reading and camera the first camino. I traded up to an ipad mini, but it's not a good replacement as a camera in the rain or for use as a flashlight in the alburgue. I may buy a new larger screen phone to replace the ipad mini.

I just finished reading "Wild", the book behind the movie. That walk took place about 20 years ago, through wilderness. She pre-arranged boxes of food supplies and 1 new t-shirt and socks to be mailed to her at about 150 miles apart to remote lodges and ranger stations. She had her walking clothes, and evening/sleeping combo clothes and rain coat/pants; that was it for clothing.

On the Frances, we are so spoiled for choice. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

You already had very good replies but I can't help it, it is such a 'pilgrim thing' to talk about packing lists lolol
First, I ignore the 'true' pilgrim thing cos I don't know what it means... Tiny pack, yes, that means something to me: you have to carry the whole thing for 800+ kilometres....
So I weigh everything and take the things that weigh less ... I do without the ipad and make do with the iphone instead (for safety reasons now, I didn't even want to take it on my first camino).
I always take a pair of old trekking trousers because they are so light as they are so worn....(not elegant, mind!) My new ones weigh twice as much.
Few extras? Yes. A swimsuit on my 2nd camino because we were walking with a 12 yr old and I knew I would be the one to go to the pool with him....
A long dress (again, light because now old, the type I would only wear in my garden alone lol). But very comfy in the heat.

A sarong. Not strictly necessary but so useful.
A buff...I didn't have any head covering the first time and nearly froze, cursing myself ... It was the height of Summer and a heatwave but in the mountains it was VERY cold. Now the buff always travels with me.
A swiss-type knife. Has a corkscrew :) not strictly necessary again but I'm a sailor and find it difficult not to have a knife handy...
And that's it. If I was walking in Winter, I'd carry a a coil to boil water, had one when I was a student and I loved it.

Hope this helps :) Buen Camino

...I'm definitely on the "weigh / measure everything' team too - with rheumatoid arthritis, lack of cartilage in my knees, collapsed arches and pronate feet ... what I carried on my back was important - for my first Camino May-June 2014, I set out all the things I thought I would need (for every 'maybe / just in case') then weighed it the first time - 11kg - made me pack, weight, repack, weigh - and each time really looking at what had to stay and what I could do without / buy in Spain. Having a excel spreadsheet helped a lot for this exercise. For my Camino this year May-June, I hauled out the list - and largely used the same items again - what I changed for this year - I swapped those zip off hike pants for First Ascent running leggings (a) they're much lighter - 2 pairs weight the same as one pair of the zip offs (b) they dry much faster. The 'luxury' but very multi purpose item I took along, and definitely worth the weight - a sarong: used for privacy curtain in cramped packed albergues; as a bottom sheet; as a top sheet; as a wraparound dress when everything was being washed in a washing machine; a side of the road picnic blanket; a skirt; a spare towel; a pillow; a wrap; a shade cloth during hot sunny day rest breaks etc ... my spreadsheet included - 1st column: total pack weight with backpack but without water and food 5,301kg - 2nd column: waist bag (bum bag / fanny pack in the US) to carry cash, card, passports 3rd column: items on my body or in my hands. Even with a pack weight of 5301 (or less on days where I was wearing more clothing and the poncho) there were days when it felt a LOT heavier... this year I swapped out the Kindle, phone etc for a mini iPad and iPod. I'm walking the Italian section of the Via Francigena and the Camino Portugese May-July 2016 and will take the exact same items. happy planning ....
Wow, thanks for all the info. That sounds like good planning. This will be very helpful to many people.

I've been seeing posts about people weighing everything and totaling grams and finding lighter options. This seems to make me anxious. Is it really necessary to travel with a tiny pack and bring hardly anything to be a "true Pilgrim'? Can I hear from people who took a few "extras" and were glad they did? I just don't want to compete or race in any way. opinions please??

Joodle, I'm one of those who weigh everything: one of my wife's friends (who completed CF in 2011) says I will do the most planned Camino ever.

My explanation (or is it excuse) is this: I did a short Camino in mid 2010 and was hooked, but realized I was carrying too much weight even though not that many items. With my wife's blessing I began preparation to find the lightest of everything I would need while keeping performance/durability high on the requirements. The first purchase was a silk sleeping bag liner (300+ grams for cotton cf 90 grams) and so on. Now I've got my kit weighing in at 4.3 kg including a Samsung tablet and keyboard (with guides etc scanned), and a kite: water is additional. With the usual health issues of a 70+ male and dodgy toes on the right foot I've trialed my gear by doing around 150 go outs averaging more than 20 km each. If I don't make a good fist of this adventure I may not be able to go again.

But that's me and some of my circumstances/preferences.

Joodle, you (and others) will have different drivers. I wish you all well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joodle, I'm one of those who weigh everything: one of my wife's friends (who completed CF in 2011) says I will do the most planned Camino ever.

My explanation (or is it excuse) is this: I did a short Camino in mid 2010 and was hooked, but realized I was carrying too much weight even though not that many items. With my wife's blessing I began preparation to find the lightest of everything I would need while keeping performance/durability high on the requirements. The first purchase was a silk sleeping bag liner (300+ grams for cotton cf 90 grams) and so on. Now I've got my kit weighing in at 4.3 kg including a Samsung tablet and keyboard (with guides etc scanned), and a kite: water is additional. With the usual health issues of a 70+ male and dodgy toes on the right foot I've trialed my gear by doing around 150 go outs averaging more than 20 km each. If I don't make a good fist of this adventure I may not be able to go again.

But that's me and some of my circumstances/preferences.

Joodle, you (and others) will have different drivers. I wish you all well.
Being a little intense at times I planned my pack for ages, tinkering with this or that trying to get it down. Then a mate said why don't you lose a bit of weight instead !!! He was of course right I was carrying quite a few extra pounds, which fell away as I walked on and on. On reflection I spent far to much time getting everything sorted and didn't see the bigger picture. Now I'm more relaxed, with the right frame of mind it's not an ordeal, stages can on The Frances can be broken, days adjusted, packs sent ahead, taxis caught to catch up with friends. It's a pilgrimage of fellowship, not an endurance test. My pack for the VDLP is now packed and shoved in a cupboard ready for next spring !!

Then a mate said why don't you lose a bit of weight instead !!!

Hugh has picked up, in part, why I did more than 150 go outs over three and a half years. Being intense about that I charted my weight loss with infinite precision.

Weight loss, getting fit, and a light pack are all important components of my preparation.

But others will be different.

Although the planning is part of the whole experience and can be fun, we do tend to make it much more complicated than necessary. If you just took an extra set of (light weight) clothes, rain gear, a very few toiletries, and something to sleep in you'll be fine. Whatever you find that you need that you didn't bring (and there won't be much) you can find along the way. There is no shortage of cafes for breaks and meals and shops for supplies on the Frances.

I just took my iPhone for all my tech needs. It took great photos, was used for email and calls back home, reading, and any notes. I left the iPad at home partly because I didn't want to carry it or worry about the security of where I was leaving it. But mainly there were other things to do in the evening like socializing or washing socks or exploring the towns.

You won't be "backpacking" as in the movie "Wild". You will be sleeping in beds at night and eating indoors for the most part. No need for camping or cooking equipment.

Personal preferences for the specific items will vary wildly and what works best for you is what's best. Test walks are great. For me, keeping it simple made the constant packing and unpacking much easier as well as lighter. There was a certain freedom about not having to sort through lots of "stuff" and having just a few choices.

You've heard it a million times here and it's all really true. Don't pack extra, just in case, "maybe" items. Really. You're not moving there. It's a wonderful walk in a lovely country with lots of great people. It's not about the "stuff". Relax and enjoy.

Buen Camino!

A year from now, you are going to wake up one morning instantly weighing 10-20% more than you did the day before and exercise for seven hours. If you did this for one or two days in a row, your body may forgive you during its recovery time, but you aren't going to let it recover for many weeks. My body rebelled in the form of Achilles tendinitis at day 7, everyone I met had some level of physical discomfort beyond basic fatigue, it's probably just a question of degree.

I think this question is primary: is it important to you to carry your pack every step?

If not, don't worry about what you carry, it is a cheap option to ship your pack between albergues. Very cheap.

If it is, then it is time to consider your needs and wants. You need to be protected from the sun, kind to your feet, warm when it's cold, and dry when it's wet. That's it.

Everything else is a want that is going to take a toll on your body. Do you want to do laundry every day? Then bring one/two set of clothes focused on layering options. If not, bring more. Do you want to plan each day? Then bring a guide book. If not, peek at other's. Do you want to wear non-walking clothes to dinner? Do you want to sleep in pajamas? Do you want to type on something bigger than a 4" screen? Do you want to not ever worry about being smelly, ever? Do you want to not have to choose between outfits in the morning? Do you want a special protected pair of cozy socks for the evening that never touched your boots (this was my want!)

I met several people who would not consider ditching things because of how much they paid for them. That made me really sad for them, and really glad that my planning included frugality as much as weight. I did not weigh individual items, but kept my pack weight at about 8 kg (Oct CF) to allow for carrying picnic lunch and the inevitable bits of stuff I picked up along the way.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I had a fairly large fanny pack and it made it easier not just to reach for frequently used items but also to carry the overall load.

On my first Camino, my first-aid bag was too large. I ended up never using certain items but was reluctant to get rid of them. On my second Camino, I will not bring them with me and buy whatever I may need.

On my first Camino, I did not carry any electronics. I had a large notebook, where I made a lot of notes along the way. I was planning to read my own notes as reading, but ended up buying a real book in Leon. For my second Camino, I will (probably) bring a camera.

Victoria

Although the planning is part of the whole experience and can be fun, we do tend to make it much more complicated than necessary.

Good points.

With all my planning and preparation and gear testing etc now done I am now getting into countdown mode before leaving home in the first half of March (four months away) and arriving in Le Puy very early in April.

And, now that our winter is done, looking for new, multi day, routes to alleviate what might otherwise become the boredom of these four months and to help me leave in a relaxed state of mind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the delights of the camino is realising how little you actually need to have an enjoyable life. The discipline of carrying a pack does that, because you quickly work out how much you can discard. With very little, you have few decisions to be made. You don't need to plan your stops but can let the day decide. If you get your pack carried you will miss one of the major joys of the camino. Pack light, go slow, wear the right shoes.

Two caminos, both times brought a few extras, both times had to post about 3kg once to Santiago and once home. Ended off carrying around 9kg (backpack weighed almost half that on its own). Dont be competitive in anything about the camino, it only leads to pain. The weight is nothing to do with being a pilgrim (they are all 'true' no matter how much they carry or how far or fast they walk), its about how much heavier a pack is at the end of the day as opposed to the start. The lighter it is, the more chance you give yourself to finish. If you run out of anything or feel there is something you must have, buy it along the way. Spain is full of shops, it is not in the stone age :)

Domigee, sounds like he only needs one. On the Norte my husband really did only have one - which was a bit tricky when it was being washed. So at a local market he bought a lightweight nylon soccer shirt that dried instantly. Bit of a problem; a Real Madrid t-shirt, when you are passing through Bilbao....

I had a fairly large fanny pack and it made it easier not just to reach for frequently used items but also to carry the overall load. (emphasis added)
@Victoria_Peregrina, welcome to a world where many of us think you are being vulgar, rather than merely informal, when you refer to a waist bag this way. You might find the entry here in the Urban dictionary illuminating!

@Victoria_Peregrina, welcome to a world where many of us think you are being vulgar, rather than merely informal, when you refer to a waist bag this way. You might find the entry here in the Urban dictionary illuminating!
This is funny! I did not even know that I was informal, I have been assuming that f----pack was a legitimate term. From now on, it will be a hip pack, unless someone tells me that hips are vulgar.

Victoria

I had a fairly large fanny pack ...
... welcome to a world where many of us think you are being vulgar, rather than merely informal ...

Victoria_Peregrina, my guess is you are from the United States of America while dougfitz (I suspect) and I are from the rest of the English speaking world.

Other examples of these terminological differences include boot-trunk, bonnet-hood, petrol-gas (and that's just about cars).

I hasten to add, to prevent Kanga or another moderator jumping in too quickly, we are all focussed on (paraphrasing Albert Einstein) making our respective caminos as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Victoria_Peregrina, my guess is you are from the United States of America while dougfitz (I suspect) and I are from the rest of the English speaking world.

dougfitz, AlwynWellington,

Yes, I am from the United States. Thank you for rescuing me from embarrassing myself on the Camino; being embarrassed here in a public forum is bad enough.

Victoria

Victoria, don't worry, the foot is on the other foot when we are in the US. I can't start to tell you the clangers some of our Aussie AFS students make.

dougfitz, AlwynWellington,

Yes, I am from the United States. Thank you for rescuing me from embarrassing myself on the Camino; being embarrassed here in a public forum is bad enough.

Victoria
Well, speaking as another American, I would never consider the word fanny to be vulgar. A**, bu**, yes, but fanny? No. I do like "hip pack" better, especially since I wear mine in front.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't start to tell you the clangers some of our Aussie AFS students make.

A local mother told me her AFS daughter asked in class for a rubber and didn't understand why the laughter.

Seabird, I have always liked alliteration: does waist wallet take your fancy.

Dougfitz, but what about FANY as the well known acronym for First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, an entirely womens' affair established in 1907 and said to be still going strong in the UK as a volunteer service.

What a nice diversion. Tea/coffee/water breaks over. Back to the grindstone!!!???

Exactly, so its worth knowing that English speakers from the UK, NZ & Australia think it is.
We call it 'English' but there are countless 'false friends'...Doug's advice is very good. Besides, the colloquialisms from Downunder are much more inventive than anything in US English.
As in: "Rattle your dags, mate. You can sit here in the bar and pack a sad all you like...but if we get going we'll home and hosed in no time ."

As rather an authority in the field of travelling with a pack that's way too heavy (40/44 pounds without and with water), I am in no way a very trustworthy giver of advice. As I see it though, and as I noticed on my way, it is much better to bring a little extra stuff. As said, you can send some of it back if needs be. Personally I did have some stuff I could and should have sent back, I just couldn't do it (sentimentalism). I started with the 40+ pound pack and I finished with it, but it really is a personal thing. Also, I found the human body (or at least mine) gets used to the heavy pack within one to two weeks.
Good luck from the Netherlands!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dougfitz, but what about FANY as the well known acronym for First Aid Nursing Yeomanry, an entirely womens' affair established in 1907 and said to be still going strong in the UK as a volunteer service.
Well, I suspect that in polite company the abbreviation is not used as an acronym. So much like UNESCO and RADAR are acronyms, whereas UN and GPS are not. My experience, having worked with British Army officers, is that many abbreviations that might be amenable to ribald barrack room humour when used as acronyms are spelt out in more formal use. Referring to a member of the WRAC as a 'rack' would quickly be challenged, as I expect would be forming an acronym of FANY.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.