• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free breakfast at the Parador in Santiago?

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
20 years ago on my first Camino a fellow pilgrim told me that the first six pilgrims queing at the staff entrance in the morning armed with their compostela certificates would be treated to a full breakfast. Anyone know or is it just folklore?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first dozen who queued in the morning. Breakfast. saw it in 2019 not sure now

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
20 years ago on my first Camino a fellow pilgrim told me that the first six pilgrims queing at the staff entrance in the morning armed with their compostela certificates would be treated to a full breakfast. Anyone know or is it just folklore?
I would check this---I remember it being the first 10 Pilgrims that get a Compostela that day. They then take their certificates and some proof of being one of the first 10 that day and they are treated to a lunch at the Parador---they have a special table for the 10 set up.

Both the Pilgrim breakfast and the Pilgrim dinner were stopped some years ago, sadly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can also confirm that the Parador provides breakfast for the first six pilgrims WITH Compostela.
After having looked enviously at it, I took my wife to stay in the Parador as a special treat for a couple of nights in early April 2023 to give her the chance to experience what waits for us at the end of a Camino. I took time to ask at Reception to get their inside view on the procedure.
We thought that our breakfast was excellent and would be well worth the effort.

2015 first 6 to wait in line, no Compostela needed, served in a back room away from regular guest, food was lousy. It was not a special meal or experience. Myself and two of my pilgrim family who waited in line for several hours thought is was a waste of time

I can also confirm that the Parador provides breakfast for the first six pilgrims WITH Compostela.
Wow !!

That's changed then since late last year, and is most welcome !!!

I did make a point of lodging a particular complaint to the Conciergerie against the loss of that specific tradition when I was there in October, the loss of the Pilgrim dinner is however less onerous, so it's brilliantly fantastic if they've reinstated it !!

The current system for the Pilgrim lunches is a sad but necessary consequence of some ghastly abuses of the previous system by some professional beggars.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Back in 2001 it was breakfast, lunch or dinner for tge first 10 pilgrims that showed up at tge entrance to the parking garage. You have to hand tge porter a photocopy of your compostela. They had a small dining room off the kitchen for pilgrims and you had to pick up your food from the kitchen. Not a luxury experience you might expect from a parador, but a nice tradition of hospitality.

I am curious about why people are disappointed that they are not receiving a Parador meal on the level of the full price menus in the formal dining rooms. The pilgrim meal is a generous gift, given out roughy 3600 times a year. It comes with soup, a main plate, wine, a dessert…
And it is given as part of a tradition of care, not given so that some can have a bargain experience of luxury.

Back in 2001 it was breakfast, lunch or dinner for tge first 10 pilgrims that showed up at tge entrance to the parking garage. You have to hand tge porter a photocopy of your compostela. They had a small dining room off the kitchen for pilgrims and you had to pick up your food from the kitchen. Not a luxury experience you might expect from a parador, but a nice tradition of hospitality.
It was brilliant.

I loved the one particular occasion, arriving late after IIRC a 65K into Santiago on my 2005 from home, penniless, no Compostela yet just my typical extra-large Credencial, getting approved by the gatekeeper and given my ticket for the Pilgrim dinner, receiving weird looks from one and all along the way up (thought it was just my scruffiness), to get into the dining room to find myself the 11th Pilgrim.

That was extraordinary and special.

€83,-
I was number 5 in queue on the 11th May this week. The lunch meal ticket still exists.
The meal was wine/water, savory bread as entree, soup and bread rolls, a risotto with calamari, and a trio of desserts.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We actually received a free breakfast coupon this March when we finished the Camino Portuguese and got in line early in the morning the next day to get our compestella. I almost didn't go cuz I thought it was too good to be true. But it was a wonderful lunch and we met some very interesting people

Hi I was a lucky one who DID get a coupon for a free lunch at a very nice restaurant near the parador in Santiago. It was at a seperate restaurant and NOT inside the parador. The “written certificates” were
given to the first 10 people in line. It was a great experience. I am not sure if it is still going on or not. PS. we grabbed a coffee then got in line at about 6:30 in the morning.

Hi I was a lucky one who DID get a coupon for a free lunch at a very nice restaurant near the parador in Santiago. It was at a seperate restaurant and NOT inside the parador. The “written certificates” were
given to the first 10 people in line. It was a great experience. I am not sure if it is still going on or not. PS. we grabbed a coffee then got in line at about 6:30 in the morning.
It was in 2018

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was lucky and got the Golden Ticket in early March this year. I didn’t know what it was and didn’t plan on going until at coffee with Camiño friends they told me how lucky I was to get it. And it is a lunch (1300 I think?)…. Not breakfast or dinner

I went to the lunch and very much enjoyed it. I’m a vegetarian and they met my needs.

Had the lunch today and it was all so very generous in portions and hospitality…. And saw a man unable to go who gave his ticket to the 11th person in line… it was a reminder that humans can be generous, and can find it easy to be generous… I still have my dessert because it was all too much and so the server did not mind at all to wrap my almost tarta for me to take away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back