• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free calls, text and picture sharing with anyone, anywhere!

Bannerman

Time of past OR future Camino
(2006)Sarria-SDC,(2007)Leon-Sarria,(2008)Burgos-Leon,(2009)SJPP-Burgos,(2010)Sarria-SDC,(2013)SJPP-SDC.
Hola,
I use the following facility on my phone http://www.viber.com I find it extremely useful and it's FREE.
The younger members of my family keep in touch with their friends in USA, Australia,Oz and elsewhere with Viber. Check it out and see if it suits you and your phone, you must have wi-fi access for system to work. Let me know how you get on.
Slán go fóill.
Buen Camino.
Des. :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Des, My children introduced me to Viber. I've found it good for texts. Not made many voice calls but wouldn't be a converted fan, possibly due to connection speed? You can't see if recipient is on-line whereas this is possible with skype.
Recently they've suggested http://www.whatsapp.com/ as more people in their circles use it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Diegomartine said:
I recommend http://www.whatsapp.com/ is great! the service is completely free and you can chat with anyone on the world.
Hola Diegomartine,
When you say "you can chat with anyone in the world" do you mean chat via text or actually speak as the following is on the whatapp website "WhatsApp does not provide a "calling" feature. If you see a [ Call ] button within WhatsApp, it is the same as using the [Call] button on your phone. Thus, mobile provider calling rates apply for phone calls made using the [ Call ] button within WhatsApp" Look forward to hearing from you.
Buen Camino.
Des :lol:

Hi,

Is just for texting. You can also send photos, videos, voice recording on the app.

To actually talk you can use skype.

:)

All the apps mentioned are a family of very useful tools but Viber, Skype and Whatsapp requires, (a) a wifi connection to work and (b) your circle of contacts must be using the same apps otherwise they cannot be connected. Skype is the original and very good apps which has video calling. Facetime is the video-calling apps used for iPhone to Iphone/iPad video calling, although excellent it cannot be used to call non-Apple appliances. All can send pictures and videos.
Other apps which can be used is wechat, it can be used with wifi or with data when there is no internet connection. There is a raft of other apps such as Tango and Line, they are free and you can test it out to see if it suits your needs, you keep the apps even if you do not need it, otherwise delete it. Only proviso is that your circle of contacts must be on the same platform.
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
JALAN JAUH said:
All the apps mentioned are a family of very useful tools but Viber, Skype and Whatsapp requires, (a) a wifi connection to work and (b) your circle of contacts must be using the same apps otherwise they cannot be connected. Skype is the original and very good apps which has video calling. Facetime is the video-calling apps used for iPhone to Iphone/iPad video calling, although excellent it cannot be used to call non-Apple appliances. All can send pictures and videos.
Other apps which can be used is wechat, it can be used with wifi or with data when there is no internet connection. There is a raft of other apps such as Tango and Line, they are free and you can test it out to see if it suits your needs, you keep the apps even if you do not need it, otherwise delete it. Only proviso is that your circle of contacts must be on the same platform.
Joe

I use Skype and Whatsapp every day on 3G, the wi-fi is not required, you can still use it on wi-fi, but YES, you can use it on 3g as well, no problem.

Meaning that if you are walking the camino with a Vodafone 3g SIM card, you should be able to use skype and whatsapp :)

The technical and cost aspects of 3G for US phones is covered very well by everyday users on this forum:

3G/4G coverge

Postby mustbjones on 11 Feb 2013, 22:18
Is the 3G/4G coverage very good on the Camino, or is France/Spain all gone LTE?

The title of this thread is "Free calls", using 3G and data plans are not free but if planned carefully as advised in the forum it does not constitute a large proportion of the overall cost of the Camino. If prepared to use 3G then Skype is the best option for cross-platform use, Facetime is the most convenient for iOS to iOS users.

A bit out of context but 3G in this day and age with a smartphone opens out a vast opportunity to have, to just name a few, GPS, geo-tagging. live blogging, weather conditions, etc for those who wishes to follow this path. To each his or her own.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have to admit that I am still confused. I have an unlocked IPad Mini (wi-fi and 3G) that I plan to take on the Camino. I have "Skype" installed on the device. Everyone that I would like to speak to have Apple devices and all have "Skype" installed as well. They all have access to IPads as well. What is the most cost-effective way to speak to them from my Camino journey.
Are there special steps that I must take?
Thanks in advance for any help.....

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
Brendan

I use an app called Voxer. It allows messaging and voice - talk back and forth like a walkie-talkie, you can also send pictures. There is no video, but I find it an effective way to communicate. It can be used on a data network (3G 4G LTE,) and wifi. It is compatible between Apple and Microsoft Products. And it's a Free App!

I have to admit that I am still confused. I have an unlocked IPad Mini (wi-fi and 3G) that I plan to take on the Camino. I have "Skype" installed on the device. Everyone that I would like to speak to have Apple devices and all have "Skype" installed as well. They all have access to IPads as well. What is the most cost-effective way to speak to them from my Camino journey.
Are there special steps that I must take?
Thanks in advance for any help.....

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app
Brendan

I think you're fine, Brenden.
I have Skype also and have used it and Facetime from Spain with no charges in places where there was free wifi.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Downloaded Viber as we'll......free and adds one more option.

It does feel as if Skype should handle my load nicely, though!

Appreciate your thoughts folks...

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum
Walkdontrun

Funny just downloaded Viber to talk to family on a vacation overseas and am happy with it! Another excellent option for keeping In touch when it's needed. For me I don't want to be on it all the time but it will be nice to be able to contact home if we really must.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.