• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Free Covid insurance from the Xunta in Galicia

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I know that this has been mentioned on the forum before, but thought that it could use its own thread.
As part of its "Galicia Safe Destination" tourism campaign, the Xunta is providing free Covid insurance for travelers who stay at regulated establishments in Galicia. You automatically qualify for the insurance by staying in these accommodations.

From the website:

If you come to Galicia, you’ll be safe for sure! During your holiday in Galicia, you’ll be covered by the new COVID-19 travel insurance.
A destination is much more ...
Much more than just a holiday, than a beautiful place, and than incredible food.
Galicia, a safe destination we welcome you to visit.
Tourists and pilgrims have extra protection. Galicia is the safe choice for your holidays.
Who can use it?

This initiative is free for visitors and pilgrims both from Spain and abroad who are not resident in Galicia.
Extra protection!
To benefit from this insurance, you don’t need to apply, you only have to be staying at a regulated establishment in Galicia. The insurance is activated automatically.
Complementary coverage and services
  • Medical, surgical, pharmaceutical and hospitalisation expenses due to COVID-19.
  • Medical repatriation and repatriation in the event of death due to COVID-19.
  • Extended stay on account of COVID-19 quarantine.

The affected party will have to report the disease by calling +34 915 149 959

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you! This is invaluable information for those of us planning to be in Galicia in the next few months!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm wondering if there is any small print about what "regulated establishments" are.
Since they specifically say that Tourists and pilgrims have extra protection, I would think that albergues would be considered "regulated establishments." Perhaps someone in Galicia, such as @natefaith @MariaSP or @ivar could clarify for us?

One might have some difficulty in meeting the reporting requirements if affected as in clause 2 of bullet 2.

Insurance - always read the schedule.

(Edited: sorry, I’m verbose. Simply: if you’re dead you can hardly be expected to telephone the claims line; but for the claim to be valid you have to follow the procedure. Catch-22 was a documentary not a novel).

Last edited:
Since they specifically say that Tourists and pilgrims have extra protection, I would think that albergues would be considered "regulated establishments." Perhaps someone in Galicia, such as @natefaith @MariaSP or @ivar could clarify for us?
Has anyone been able to get a definitive answer as to what are deemed to be "acceptable establishments"? I would very much like to find out before I go.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well if pilgrims are covered when in Galicia, it would certainly be an incentive to get tested in SdC rather than Madrid.

Last edited:
This Website is worth exploring....

It references what will happen if you get Covid-19 in Spain and critically you can explore by autonomous Region.

Some Regions (as per this thread) have a travel insurance policy to cover Covid.

The devil is in the detail and as we all know, circumstances change, both in our home nation and in Spain.Screenshot_20220101-210853_Google.jpg

This Website is worth exploring....

It references what will happen if you get Covid-19 in Spain and critically you can explore by autonomous Region.

Some Regions (as per this thread) have a travel insurance policy to cover Covid.

The devil is in the detail and as we all know, circumstances change, both in our home nation and in Spain.
This page from the same site has links to the Autonomous Communities that have Covid insurance in place for travelers to their region.

The regions offering it are
– Andalusia
– Canary Islands
– Region of Murcia
– Balearic Islands
– Galicia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last summer, the Voz de Galicia reported that the Xunta was going to use two albergues, one in Samos and the San Lázaro albergue on the edge of town, for pilgrim quarantine spots. It was part of an article in which the paper announced the Xunta’s decision to increase sleeping capacity in albergues.

Has anyone heard anything about these quarantine albergues?

Last summer, the Voz de Galicia reported that the Xunta was going to use two albergues, one in Samos and the San Lázaro albergue on the edge of town, for pilgrim quarantine spots. It was part of an article in which the paper announced the Xunta’s decision to increase sleeping capacity in albergues.

New to the forum - thank you! Hopefully someone has a reply on this. Would be helpful to have this information for those of us who are still hoping to walk in the spring.

I copied this from the article you posted (English Translation).

“In addition, there are councils who are also acting on their own. This is the case of Portomarín , Lugo municipality on the French Way where an old school was set up , located in the center of the town, to respond to situations of this type. A case discovered this week in the town, with 52 pilgrims forced to return to Madrid after two of them tested positive for covid , has uncovered the importance of having facilities enabled for quarantines and isolation in case of contagion or close contact with someone infected. The position of this city council is for now an isolated case in the autonomous panorama.”

Not sure I would want to isolate in an old school building…so don’t think I would be planning on testing near there?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.