• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free house-sitting

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Walking the CA and the CF this year made me want to give back, but how? Perhaps my wife and I can help other pilgrims make the journey by offering free housesitting?

Just retired from 23 years as a firefighter and wife ran a Catholic day shelter for homeless women and children - in short, we have more references than day-trippers leaving Sarria! . Love cats, like dogs, and live in a century-old house that requires regular TLC to keep functional. More importantly, we just retired and have plenty of time to travel if you need someone to house/pet sit during your Camino.

PM me if we can be of service to you. Maybe this is a need that we can fulfill to honor the pilgrimage.9D7CC8B0-F717-4151-8176-71CA9B82AEA4.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walking the CA and the CF this year made me want to give back, but how? Perhaps my wife and I can help other pilgrims make the journey by offering free housesitting?

Just retired from 23 years as a firefighter and wife ran a Catholic day shelter for homeless women and children - in short, we have more references than day-trippers leaving Sarria! . Love cats, like dogs, and live in a century-old house that requires regular TLC to keep functional. More importantly, we just retired and have plenty of time to travel if you need someone to house/pet sit during your Camino.

PM me if we can be of service to you. Maybe this is a need that we can fulfill to honor the pilgrimage.View attachment 44010
What country are you in?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My bad - I live in Northern California, but don’t mind traveling. I figure folks get someone to watch their house while I get to spend time like a local in a new locale.

Will definitely look at that for our "next" Camino! We had house sitters for our first on the Frances, but couldn't find anyone for the second (Portuguese). We use an online house sitter site.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Too funny! Please PM me if you are serious, however. The caveat, of course, is that there are only 52 weeks in the year and I’d like to be home for a few of them!

PM me if we can be of service to you. Maybe this is a need that we can fulfill to honor the pilgrimage.View attachment 44010
Good morning vacajoe, I think perhaps I would rather house sit for you in California , if your picture is anything to go bye, it looks beautiful. great idea you have.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually, that photo is from Madeira where we went after the Camino. I live in Sacramento which is much hotter and much less green (but I live in a beautiful bungalow!!!)
View attachment 44052
It’s certainly beautiful, picture post card. Good luck with you idea, and enjoy your retirement.

To be serious about this for a minute, maybe Ivar should start a new section of the Forum for this.
I for one would be delighted to find a fellow Pilgrim as a House sitter.
It's a real problem for us. Fish to be fed, plants to be watered, new Dog soon....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, if you hover your cursor over Vacajoe's avatar, you will see that he is from Northern California.
Jill
Hi, if you hover your cursor over Vacajoe's avatar, you will see that he is from Northern California.
Jill
Thank you! I didn't know you could do that!

I'll raise that with 2 months in Sydney, with contribution to airfares ;)

Eeeek! This is a high stakes game! I'll see your airfare contribution with a 10-hour drive, and raise you Zero Jetlag.........

Either that Rob, or we can just agree to swap house sitting. Wait. Then neither of us will get to Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To be serious about this for a minute, maybe Ivar should start a new section of the Forum for this.
It's a real problem for us. Fish to be fed, plants to be watered, new Dog soon....
Well, this is an idea I could get behind!

Just got say folks, I’m hoping to be on Camino Portugues May 2019, after that I’ll certainly free up my diary, “ little California would be nice” “a lttile Syndney would delight” “ Canada and the falls” Hawaii for the winter here I come” so where to for 2020. ;);)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wish this post had been a bit earlier in the year, we located a house sitter for the time we will be on the Camino in October. It would be nice to be able to ask those last minute questions from a veteran peligrino just as you are leaving.

To me, it’s a win-win solution - less cost for the traveler, a new experience for me.

After walking the Camino, I value how the experience can affect folks and having a fellow pilgrim watch over the homefront just makes sense (plus it makes getting to and from the airport easier!)

I do loads of housesitting for friends when they take holiday and think this is a fantastic idea! Am an Aussie living on the Gold Coast and would love to see this take off. I plan on doing three months each year in the UK to spend time near family using a house sitting website from 2019 but would prefer helping fellow pilgrims where possible.

This is a great idea. Thank you Vacajoe. I agree with comment that Ivar should start separate page for house sitting. And count me in. I have a 2 bedroom apt in Vancouver (competition for Rick so he’s gonna have to raise the stakes). I will do 2 caminos in 2019, possible a short one (3 weeks) this October.

Great idea VacaJoe! If i ever save enough money to walk again, I will definitely be in touch. My dream is the CP from Porto! Have you ever been to KY?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, but would love to see it!

I live in Sacramento, California but have no issues with traveling (even abroad) to help out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, but would love to see it!
A great time to come is the end of April/beginning of May. That is when all the Derby festivities and the Kentucky Derby happen! Its a 2 week party for a 2 minute race! :D

I would do this also IN the western USA.
I love the idea of a section for this.

I’d include deep housecleaning and pet sitting in my services.

I learned that little trick, but have often noticed many forum members do not share what country or province they live in.
Before the last update of the Forum features that info was available if you have put it in. Now it isn't. I'm missing it. So useful, especially when someone isn't a native English speaker and all the other members could've seen that info and gave some credit for possible mistakes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One more vote for the House Sitting section of the forum! With a cat to be fed at home, it would really be wonderful to have that resource :)

Please be careful to keep all personal information out of the open forum.
Please use PMs for email addresses or phone numbers.
Please do not disclose your address to anyone you have not personally vetted and checked out.

The forum cannot and does not vouch for or recommend anyone posting on this thread. Please do your due diligence before coming to any agreement.

Before the last update of the Forum features that info was available if you have put it in. Now it isn't. I'm missing it. So useful, especially when someone isn't a native English speaker and all the other members could've seen that info and gave some credit for possible mistakes.
I wasn't aware that the ability to add in where a person lives has been removed on the newer format. Maybe Ivar can put that feature back in.

I would be a bit worried about this... what if something goes horribly wrong with the house/the house-sitter does not behave... I would not want to get in the middle of this.. and also, it is a bit outside of the scope of this forum. Sorry!

Recently back from providing two weeks of FREE house and pet sitting for a new pilgrim friend who walked the CP. Everything went great!

Happy to help out others for FREE as my way of giving back to the Camino community. If you are interested, contact me directly so we can discuss the details, I can provide references, etc. It’s my hope that this will help other pilgrims to experience the Camino with one less worry about their home, pets, or the cost of a housesitter.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Recently back from providing two weeks of FREE house and pet sitting for a new pilgrim friend who walked the CP. Everything went great!

Happy to help out others for FREE as my way of giving back to the Camino community. If you are interested, contact me directly so we can discuss the details, I can provide references, etc. It’s my hope that this will help other pilgrims to experience the Camino with one less worry about their home, pets, or the cost of a housesitter.

Buen Camino!
Delighted to see that your generosity is reaping benefits, mutually. A great idea.

Someone just liked this post, so thought I would update it! I’ve housesat now five times and have a sixth next month. My offer still stands if folks are interested in it. I have the time and the desire to make YOUR Camino a possibility; it sounds too good to be true, but it’s not. Drop me a line if you are interested.

Peace to all and Buen Camino!

EF11C540-BCA0-4B70-8C08-C258C0C57813.jpeg6D8F7F4B-C622-4CD2-A62F-406DE9FB322B.jpeg

Vacajoe if you get inundated pass any my way I'm more than happy to help out.

Am busy all February and then May to August!!

Let's help people to help themselves!

Lindy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Someone just liked this post, so thought I would update it! I’ve housesat now five times and have a sixth next month. My offer still stands if folks are interested in it. I have the time and the desire to make YOUR Camino a possibility; it sounds too good to be true, but it’s not. Drop me a line if you are interested.

You are good with dogs and cats. . . how are you with large aquariums and parrots?

Hah, honestly I have ZERO experience with either of those! While I could learn, I’m completely, 100% NOT familiar with them. Sorry.

Peace to all and Buen Camino!

Joe,

What in heaven’s name do you feed that massive cat on?

View attachment 68391View attachment 68392

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The cat belongs to one of the folks where I house-sit, but couldn’t resist taking a photo with him. Oddly enough, he eats pretty normally but has ZERO activity. 😹

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Please be careful to keep all personal information out of the open forum.
Please use PMs for email addresses or phone numbers.
Please do not disclose your address to anyone you have not personally vetted and checked out.

The forum cannot and does not vouch for or recommend anyone posting on this thread. Please do your due diligence before coming to any agreement.

This warning is re-posted since this thread has been bumped.
The warning is meant to be cautionary only and is not a reflection on any poster or member.
Be cautious as always.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back