• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free online course about the camino (in Spanish)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
The University of Santiago de Compostela is offering a course about the camino in Spanish through the Iberian MOOC (massive open online courses) platform MiríadaX, starting on March 22, 2021.

The course is called El Camino de Santiago: Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global (The Camino de Santiago: Heritage of Humanity for a global world). It consists of four modules: the history of the camino, the historical and cultural heritage of the camino, literature of the camino and social, economic and environmental aspects of the camino.

As I understand it, the first three modules are free and there are two payment options, priced at €40 and €80, for which you receive a certificate (the €80 one comes with identity verification) and I believe both give access to the fourth module. I have signed up and will probably opt for the €40 certificate option.

The platform itself can be accessed in English (or Portuguese, for that matter) in addition to Spanish. Here is the course trailer with subtitles in English and Galego (edit: @kirkie confirmed below that the course videos will also be subtitled in English):

Happy learning!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The University of Santiago de Compostela is offering a course about the camino in Spanish through the Iberian MOOC (massive open online courses) platform MiríadaX, starting on March 22, 2021.

The course is called El Camino de Santiago, Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global (Camino de Santiago, Heritage of Humanity for a global world). It consists of four modules: the history of the camino, the historical and cultural heritage of the camino, literature of the camino and social, economic and environmental aspects of the camino.

As I understand it, the first three modules are free and there are two payment options, priced at €40 and €80, for which you receive a certificate (the €80 one comes with identity verification) and I believe both give access to the fourth module. I have signed up and will probably opt for the €40 certificate option.

The platform itself can be accessed in English (or Portuguese, for that matter) in addition to Spanish. I'm not sure if the course videos contain English subtitles for non-Spanish speakers but the course trailer does have subtitles in English (and also Galego for @Wendy Werneth!):

Happy learning!
Thank you so much for this link. It is high time I followed another Mooc... and what better than on the Camino. I just need to put some bread in the oven, then I will register!

This looks really interesting. I'm not familiar with the Mooc platform. Is there any way to know if the sessions must be watched at specific times or be archived to access at convenience? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cannot remember exactly, as it is a few years since I did one. I think it is possible though. I seem to recall doing the work in my own time. The modules become accessible, and then you work away. I did it my way, meaning I more or less did all the steps. I didn't pay, as it is not necessary, especially as I am well past sell by date in terms of needing a certificate on my CV! I followed the intro, and see it is easy to select a speed of .75, which is not too bad, it does not slur the sound but makes it less of a race to keep up with the speed of delivery. I have registered. I have memory of needing to hold my nerve and not be bludgeoned into paying for a certificate. It is possible to register through English, by the way. Now, to enter all the dates into my calendar before I forget...
Once more, many thanks, @jungleboy.

It is high time I followed another Mooc... and what better than on the Camino.
Me too! I was a MOOC demon about 6-7 years ago and completed more than 50 courses (including one or two in Spanish). But in the last few years I have hardly done any.

This looks really interesting. I'm not familiar with the Mooc platform. Is there any way to know if the sessions must be watched at specific times or be archived to access at convenience? Thanks!
You can access them at your convenience within the course time but if you opt for the free option you might lose access after the six weeks is up on May 3. I've done some courses on MiríadaX before but I'm not as familiar with it as with the main international platforms (Coursera and EdX).

@jungleboy @kirkie[/USER] Thanks so much! I don't have any problem with finishing the sessions within the time period, I just don't want to have to get up in the middle of the night to sign in on Spanish time, lol! @kirkie , do I understand correctly, you can get it in English, or at least with English subtitles?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The intro video had subtitles. I would hope they would be available for the sessions... I will see later unless you find out before I get back to you, @Bala. I registered via English, and also had English subtitles. As I mentioned, I slowed down the Spanish and it was quite bearable, it did not distort the sound too much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great to see a few people joining! Maybe we can use this thread or a new one to form a little sub-community and share notes, ideas etc once the course begins (especially in helping each other out with Spanish if necessary).

@kirkie how did you slow the soundtrack?
Click the settings wheel at the bottom of the video, then click playback speed and adjust:

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 9.29.03 AM.png

The course is called El Camino de Santiago: Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global (The Camino de Santiago: Heritage of Humanity for a global world). It consists of four modules: the history of the camino, the historical and cultural heritage of the camino, literature of the camino and social, economic and environmental aspects of the camino.

The platform itself can be accessed in English (or Portuguese, for that matter) in addition to Spanish. I'm not sure if the course videos contain English subtitles for non-Spanish speakers but the course trailer does have subtitles in English (and also Galego for @Wendy Werneth!):

Happy learning!
Thx for sharing🙏🏼

When possible, could you share some hands on experience with modules, especially the English version??

Thx again in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks jungle boy for stepping in with screenshot. I emailed one of the people presenting the programme and when I get an answer I will be able to update on subtitles for the classes. A good idea about a separate thread for sharing on how it goes...

Yes! I quote: ‘
All the modules will have at least English subtitles, like the introduction
I am very happy that you are interested in our MOOC, and hope that you will enjoy it.
Go ahead, register!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just signed into the course but it looks like they want me to purchase either a 40€ certificate of completion or an 80€ certificate of achievement in order to enroll. I don't need or want either.

Am I missing something, or can I just log in on 3/22 and start watching? I, too, am well past my expiration date for certificates. I just want to learn more about the Camino. 😄

I just signed into the course but it looks like they want me to purchase either a 40€ certificate of completion or an 80€ certificate of achievement in order to enroll. I don't need or want either.

Am I missing something, or can I just log in on 3/22 and start watching? I, too, am well past my expiration date for certificates. I just want to learn more about the Camino. 😄
You should be able to log in and start watching for free on the 22nd. I enrolled without paying and it seemed to work. This is part of the email I received:

Te has inscrito correctamente en el curso: El Camino de Santiago: Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global.

Este curso tiene la posibilidad de optar por el Certificado de aprovechamiento expedido por la USC.

Como siempre, podrás acceder de manera gratuita al contenido y obtener el certificado de Superación de Miríadax si así lo deseas, pero si quieres obtener la Acreditación, deberás abonar los derechos de matrícula que te habilitarán un módulo específico de exámenes con tecnología biométrica.

(The bolded part: As always, you can access the content for free)

You should be able to log in and start watching for free on the 22nd. I enrolled without paying and it seemed to work. This is part of the email I received:

Te has inscrito correctamente en el curso: El Camino de Santiago: Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global.

Este curso tiene la posibilidad de optar por el Certificado de aprovechamiento expedido por la USC.

Como siempre, podrás acceder de manera gratuita al contenido y obtener el certificado de Superación de Miríadax si así lo deseas, pero si quieres obtener la Acreditación, deberás abonar los derechos de matrícula que te habilitarán un módulo específico de exámenes con tecnología biométrica.

(The bolded part: As always, you can access the content for free)
Thanks! My email just arrived. 👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I tried to sign in, but it was impossible. Eventually, I was informed that my email address does not exist.
It sounds like you tried to sign in without registering first, so when it says your email address doesn't exist, it just means that there is no account with that email address. If you haven't already, try the 'Register-In' button. ¡Suerte!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like you tried to sign in without registering first, so when it says your email address doesn't exist, it just means that there is no account with that email address. If you haven't already, try the 'Register-In' button. ¡Suerte!
I think you nailed it, @jungleboy. Hope it works for you, @Albertagirl. Sometimes I have to delete the first letter of my email address and change it back to a small letter, as some sites don't compensate for the capital letter that often insists on showing its face at the beginning of an email address.

I still don't know. I tried again, and this time I eventually received a message saying (in Spanish) that I had successfully registered and would be receiving an email shortly. That was some time ago, and there is no sign yet of the email. Maybe it will arrive eventually.

Thanks for your help - I do appreciate it. When I hit the three little dots this is what I get:
5118E101-1644-4F87-BF8E-72E4D6DDCCBA.png
no option to change payback speed

€46,-
I still don't know. I tried again, and this time I eventually received a message saying (in Spanish) that I had successfully registered and would be receiving an email shortly. That was some time ago, and there is no sign yet of the email. Maybe it will arrive eventually.
Might it be to do with time difference?

Might it be to do with time difference?
I don't know. There is still no email and I now suspect that I may have done something wrong at some point, as my skills with computers are minimal. I'll check again tomorrow, and possibly try to begin the whole procedure again.

I tried to sign in, but it was impossible.

Maybe we can use this thread or a new one to form a little sub-community and share notes, ideas etc once the course begins (especially in helping each other out with Spanish if necessary).
Excellent idea! But I am also having even trouble registering with Miriadax. I fill in the information (name and email, as I don't want to use Facebook or Google accounts), click OK, and nothing happens. I haven't created a password, so I can't sign in. I get no email.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try to change the language to English before registering. @jungleboy was correct, you have to register first before you sign in or the lovely computer doesn’t know what to do with you. I seem to remember a slight difference when I did the first step, and that let me advance to complete registration. Sorry, I did not record the actual stages of the process.

I don't know. There is still no email and I now suspect that I may have done something wrong at some point, as my skills with computers are minimal. I'll check again tomorrow, and possibly try to begin the whole procedure again.
If you still have no luck, I could pm you with the email, or you could find it yourself, of the person I wrote to. She replied in English, and invited me to continue the conversation in English. She sounded really pleased to have an interested troupe ready to follow the course... she would possibly be able to help. I just tried this and that on the contacts section till I found an email address attached to one of the staff involved.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have now succeeded. For some reason, using the English setting, the "Captcha" (I am not a robot) image did not appear so my registration could not go through. When I registered in Spanish, I saw the Captcha image, and was able to register. I got the email immediately, but it seems that I had to wait a few minutes before I could sign in.

The registration process was fast and problem-free for me: I registered in Spanish, by entering name and email address, I clicked on the box marked "I am not a robot" (I didn't even get an image with any squares to click), and I immediately received the conformation email with my password ("Contraseña"). I could log into the site right away.

Thank you, @jungleboy, for this information. I like the idea of forming a "little sub-community" here on the forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have finally succeeded in registering and signing in for this course. It began at once, with subtitles in English and a second Romance language, I assume, Portuguese, from @jungleboy 's comment above. Now I am afraid of turning off my computer for fear of losing it. I never did get a confirmation email. I wish I could turn off the Portuguese, as the text gets in the way of seeing the screen. I shall try to sign in again and watch more of it when I have the time.

I have finally succeeded in registering and signing in for this course. It began at once, with subtitles in English and a second Romance language, I assume, Portuguese, from @jungleboy 's comment above. Now I am afraid of turning off my computer for fear of losing it. I never did get a confirmation email. I wish I could turn off the Portuguese, as the text gets in the way of seeing the screen. I shall try to sign in again and watch more of it when I have the time.
When you say 'it began at once', do you mean the video trailer for the course? The other language subtitled in the trailer is Galician (Galego/Gallego), which is close to Portuguese and is actually the parent language of Portuguese.

FWIW, I don't see the course material, only the trailer. I subscribed to the calendar data for the course (for ical) but all I see in my calendar are a number of entries for the 3th of May (end date for the course). I assume that's ok for now and that the relevant information will be made available at a later date?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might have to be in YouTube itself rather than watching it as an embedded video on the course website. Here’s the direct link.
That’s perfect thank you! Can I ask how you found it? (So I can do the same again without bothering you!! I am determined to do this in Spanish and slowing it down a wee bit gives my brain time to keep up!

Interesting! When I go on the site I get the trailer, in Spanish with English subtitles only. And a start date of March 22. It seems like we're all getting something different.

I also like the idea of a subgroup here to discuss it.

Interesting! When I go on the site I get the trailer, in Spanish with English subtitles only. And a start date of March 22. It seems like we're all getting something different.

I also like the idea of a subgroup here to discuss it.
I am getting the same as you Bala

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It depends on the country of your server and on the link that you use for the trailer. There are two versions of the trailer: one with the commentary in Spanish and the subtitles in both Galician and English and another version with the commentary in Spanish and subtitles in English or Spanish.

Both trailers are on Youtube.

Click here to watch the trailer with English or Spanish subtitles. Use the "CC" button and the "Settings" button to toggle the language of the subtitles.

Click here to watch the trailer with Galician and English subtitles (same version of trailer as in the first post of the thread).

Last edited:
When you say 'it began at once', do you mean the video trailer for the course? The other language subtitled in the trailer is Galician (Galego/Gallego), which is close to Portuguese and is actually the parent language of Portuguese.
@jungleboy I don't really know whether it was the trailer or not, as I did not have time to spend on it then. I shall see. As for the second language of the subtitles, it seemed to me to be Gallego, but I thought that you had said it was Portuguese. I am still hoping to sort out whether I can access the video, when I have time to get back to it.

So I give up. I have somehow got into a loop and cannot make any progress in it. The screen shows that all my information has been entered, but I can't get any further.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So I give up. I have somehow got into a loop and cannot make any progress in it. The screen shows that all my information has been entered, but I can't get any further.
I couldn't register with the English system either - I entered the info, clicked Ok, and nothing happened. When I went to the Spanish registration, I saw that there was supposed to be a place where you click to indicate that you are not a robot. Then the registration went through. Have you tried this?

I have said that I am not a robot. I have found the information about the course, but any attempt to register in it just blanks all my information and sends me back to an earlier stage of registering, which I am apparently unable to complete. I am very stubborn and have now spent several hours going in circles with this, but it really is time for me to quit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I cannot visualise where the problem lies. This may not be obvious on small screens: There are two kinds of registering, as you must register for the website and you must register for the course.

Once you have registered for the website, you can sign in and out of the website. For signing into the website, you need your email address and the password you received by email. If you don't sign out of the website (which you can do in the top bottom right corner, drop down menu, or on the multiple choice menu top left corner, depending on which device you use), you will be signed in permanently.

There is nothing to do right now for the course.

If you sign in to the website and don't see the trailer for the course, you can search for it by clicking on the Courses button and by entering the words Camino de Santiago into the search field.

If you indicate what kind of device you are using, there may be users with the same device who can help.

I noticed that the interface for this website doesn't work so well on an iPhone but it is fine on iPad and iMac desktop computer. The course, will still doable, may not be geared to users who want to do the course on a phone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I noticed that the interface for this website doesn't work so well on an iPhone but it is fine on iPad and iMac desktop computer. The course, will still doable, may not be geared to users who want to do the course on a phone.
There is a MiríadaX app for iPhone. I can't confirm if it's available worldwide but since it's a Spanish-Portuguese platform, I was able to download it from my (Portuguese) app store. If others outside the Iberian peninsula could search for it and report back, that would be great.

Ok, I logged in to the app, from Ireland. It opens, using the details I used to register for the course. My phone is a bit elderly,( iPhone 5s), like myself. I want it to remain healthy as I hate the thought of having to get a new phone... I never use it for such things as following courses, that will be left to my MacBook Air.

I finally managed to register for the program and sign in for the course, with significant help from @jungleboy. I'm glad it's done and I'm looking forward to the course, with thanks to all who were willing to help. But I planned on signing up to get my vaccine today, and that still hasn't happened

I finally managed to register for the program and sign in for the course, with significant help from @jungleboy. I'm glad it's done and I'm looking forward to the course, with thanks to all who were willing to help. But I planned on signing up to get my vaccine today, and that still hasn't happened
One thing at a time! Congratulation for signing up, and thanks to @jungleboy !

Glad it finally worked! Some tips from Albertagirl's experience for those who would still like to register on the site and sign up for the course:

1. When you register on the site, it doesn't take you to a new screen with an obvious message saying that registration has been successful. It reloads the existing screen with a small message (that could be missed) saying registration has been successful.

2. The email confirming registration and sending you your password may go to your junk/spam folder, so remember to check that.

3. If you have registered but not received the email and you try to register again with the same email address, it will not work but instead of letting you know that that email address is already registered, it will just reload the page and/or wipe the fields where you entered your details without telling you why.

After some feedback here and having talked with a moderator, we will leave this thread for pre-course stuff like registration issues and I will create a new thread this weekend for discussion of the course material for when the course begins next Monday.

may go to your junk/spam folder
Good point. While I received the email with the confirmation of my registration on the website and with my password in my incoming mail folder, I have only now discovered that I had received a second email, confirming my subscription for the Camino de Santiago course. This second email did end up in my Junk folder which I check only every few days.

So the website sends two emails, one with the title ¡Bienvenido a Miríadax! and the other one with the title ¡Bienvenido/a a un nuevo curso de Miríadax!

While we are waiting for the course to start, here are links to all the trailers that I found on YouTube when searching for Miríadax "camino de Santiago". I am not sure whether they all belong to the same course or to three separate courses. In any case, the visual quality of the videoclips is a delight - even when you think that the topic in question may not interest you, the images are superb ☺️.

The commentary is in Spanish but you can switch to subtitling in English.

MOOC 1 - Presentación. El Camino de Santiago, Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global. 1 minute 36 seconds.
MOOC 1 - Módulo 0. El Camino de Santiago, Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global. 4 minutes 44 seconds. (This is the same as the videoclip in the first post but without Galician subtitles)
MOOC 2 - Presentación. El Camino de Santiago, enfoques didácticos multidisciplinares. 1 minutes 17 seconds.
MOOC 2 - Módulo 0. El Camino de Santiago, enfoques didácticos multidisciplinares. 4 minutes 41 seconds.
MOOC 3 - Presentación. El Camino de Santiago, en las redes sociales. 1 minute 26 seconds.
MOOC 3 - Módulo 0. El Camino de Santiago, en las redes sociales. 4 minutes 8 seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder about checking junk mail. My confirmation email came within minutes, but I had to retrieve it from the spam folder. This looks like fun!

Great to see a few people joining! Maybe we can use this thread or a new one to form a little sub-community and

Click the settings wheel at the bottom of the video, then click playback speed and adjust:

View attachment 95278
I didn't notice it at first, but you can see in @jungleboy's helpful photo above that not only can you choose from the preset playback speeds, but there is also a custom speed button (top right) that lets you set intermediate playback speeds. So if you would prefer to listen at 85% or 70% or whatever % of normal, you can do so. The Spanish is nice and clear, so I'm really looking forward to being immersed in the language.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, I have never done an online course, and have no idea how this will all work. What do we do?

What does it even mean, that it starts on March 22. Do we just independently go online and click on the link in the first post, and then all will become apparent? Do we just work along, following some instructions, at our own pace, and then submit assignments by the due day (May 3 for Module 1)? Do they tell us what to watch, what to read, and what to write or do? Are we going to "cheat" by helping each other with the assignments?
🤓 🤓

So, I have never done an online course, and have no idea how this will all work. What do we do?

What does it even mean, that it starts on March 22. Do we just independently go online and click on the link in the first post, and then all will become apparent? Do we just work along, following some instructions, at our own pace, and then submit assignments by the due day (May 3 for Module 1)? Do they tell us what to watch, what to read, and what to write or do? Are we going to "cheat" by helping each other with the assignments?
🤓 🤓
It is a long time since I did one, so I can’t remember clearly. Here is a link to one of the last ones I did. It gives a fairly comprehensive idea of how it works. If it is a new course, you have to wait for the start date, and complete the modules in your own time. I recall trying to do them without getting swamped by having to rush before the next one. If it is one in their bank of courses, you can do it at any time that suits you.
In fact, now that I think about it, I know my rhythm will probably not be helped by having to keep to the same pace as others, so I might not take part in the sharing thread. Now that I see this course again, I might well check in again for it. The great thing about my mind is it is capable of being surprised by previous material!

I hope this is helpful. I did not easily see a breakdown of the components in the modules of the Santiago MOOC, that is why I am sending the link to the one above.

€46,-
When you click on Syllabus and on Notas you can see how the four modules of our course are structured. No doubt all will be revealed on Monday. Since all the starting dates and the deadlines are the same, namely the start and the end date of the course, I guess that one can work through this course at one‘s own pace: watch videos, read some stuff, click here and there ☺️.

At the end of module I and II, a test is scheduled, perhaps to unlock the next module or to practice for the final test for those participants who want to get one of the certificates.

The four modules of the course:

A0D8B431-35AE-4629-9FE9-384206C7542E.jpeg

Last edited:
thank you
When you click on Syllabus and on Notes you can see how the four modules of our course are structured. No doubt all will be revealed on Monday. Since all the starting dates and the deadlines are the same, namely the start and the end date of the course, I guess that one can work through this course at one‘s one pace: watch videos, read some stuff, click here and there ☺️.

At the end of module I and II, a test is scheduled, perhaps to unlock the next module or to practice for the final test for those participants who want to get one of the certificates.

The four modules of the course:

View attachment 95649
Thank you for the above help. I had not noticed the syllabus link.

🤓 🤓

Yes to all except the last one! The material will be available from Monday (I assume Monday morning Spain time) and you can go at your own pace, doing as little or as much as you like at a time. My experience with MiríadaX in the past is that the assignments are fairly basic (more like quizzes rather than peer-graded papers) but maybe this will be different.

Since all the starting dates and the deadlines are the same, namely the start and the end date of the course, I guess that one can work through this course at one‘s own pace: watch videos, read some stuff, click here and there ☺️.
I also assumed that even though in my experience it's not that typical to release all the material at once.

How is this for an idea: if all the course material is indeed released at once on Monday, could we propose that forum members do one module per week? Of course, no one is bound to do that if they don't want to, but I thought it might help each of us with our pacing and with our engagement with each other if we are all at roughly the same stage of the course at the same time.

I was clearly not paying attention, since I had not seen this thread. Thanks, @jungleboy!

I was able to join, but did experience some of the same difficulties as other members with not being able to register. I thought I was home free when I realized that when you click on the link in the first post, it takes you to the log-in page, NOT to the signup/registration page. But even when I was squarely on the sign-up page, I was unable to register. So I caved in and did it through google/gmail, just giving google one more bit of information about me, my tastes, and my whereabouts. But it worked like a charm, so I am happy to have access to the course.

Do I understand correctly that there are a few segments that will only be available to those who sign up for the course? For those who are more familiar with how this works, would you recommend that we pay and sign up?

Do I understand correctly that there are a few segments that will only be available to those who sign up for the course? For those who are more familiar with how this works, would you recommend that we pay and sign up?
Welcome aboard! It looks like the fourth module (which is marked as premium) is only for those who pay for a certificate but that all others are available for anyone who signs up for free. Typically with these courses you can still upgrade from free to paid as the course is going, so you can see if you like the course first before committing. It's been a while since I've done a course on MiríadaX though, and I've never paid for one on their platform, so don't quote me on that! I might try to confirm via the course forums in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Are we going to "cheat" by helping each other with the assignments? [The last one]

Yes to all except the last one!

I don't know if it is cheating, but I can certainly see this thread turning into a study/discussion group for the lessons/assignments. Back when I was an undergrad, such groups were helpful and as long as we weren't actually writing each others assignments I don't think it was considered cheating.

(Actually, if I remember correctly, only 10-25% of the time spent in such study groups was actually spent studying, but it was a great way to form lasting friendships.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All these concerns about cheating. I'm only interested in learning about the camino, not in passing the course. I'm in my sixties and have no desire to get another degree. I'm hoping the information in the course will give us a chance to discuss something more than the weight of our packs or when we can walk again.

All these concerns about cheating.
I am confident there are no concerns. I put the word in quotation marks to show I wasn't serious.

I was wondering how the assignments would be presented, whether in a way that we can interact before or during completion, etc. Do we need to complete an online quiz before getting to the next material? I don't care about my score but want to move through. And I really look forward to discussions of our own creation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, I’m really late seeing this but I have registered for the course just in time! I have done MOOC’s on other websites, mostly Coursera. Thanks, @jungleboy, it does sound interesting.

With help from many above, I finally, after numerous attempts have managed to get registered with Miriadax. I have received my welcome email with password. But I don't think I have registered for this course. I searched for it under courses, and clicked on it, which got me back to the trailer page, but I don't see how to indicate that this is the course I want to take. So I have not gotten my welcome to this specific course email. Any advice?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Clarification in the course forum about the fourth module:

El módulo IV y la biometría están cerrados porque no son gratuitos, para acceder a ellos hay que superar los primeros tres módulos, que sin son gratis, y después pagar la certificación para acceder, bien a través del certificado de superación, bien el de adreditación, que es el que lleva aparejado el examen biométrico y el crédito universitario. Cualquier duda técnica puedes remitirla a soporte@miriadax.net.
Summary: to access the fourth module you have to pass the first three and then pay for either certificate.

The platform itself can be accessed in English (or Portuguese, for that matter) in addition to Spanish. Here is the course trailer with subtitles in English and Galego (edit: @kirkie confirmed below that the course videos will also be subtitled in English):

Happy learning!
Thank you soooo much for this unfo. I signed up immediately for the 40 Euros

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Clarification in the course forum about the fourth module:

Summary: to access the fourth module you have to pass the first three and then pay for either certificate.
I paid and now can't get on!!! I try to get a new password and although they send me a temporary one to my email they then say the email is incorrect! And I paid. This is very frustrating

I paid and now can't get on!!! I try to get a new password and although they send me a temporary one to my email they then say the email is incorrect! And I paid. This is very frustrating
I had a similar problem the other day. I looked in my browsing history and used one of the old links and it worked fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a similar problem the other day. I looked in my browsing history and used one of the old links and it worked fine.
It happened to me earlier today. It wasn't accepting my details even though they were autofilled through keychain so it wasn't a case of me forgetting my password or anything like that. I then tried the bookmark link that I have for the course rather than just the front page of the website and that worked.

This is the link that worked for me.

Wow! I got in. Muchísimas gracias but on my phone do print is very very small. Afraid to go do it on the computer. But thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Happy learning!
I signed up for this course but find it difficult to follow although I am fluent i Spanish. It is also pertty boring. It's just difficult to understand articles rom books or am I looking at the wrong thing? Now I'm sorry I paid for certification.

I signed up for this course but find it difficult to follow although I am fluent i Spanish. It is also pertty boring. It's just difficult to understand articles rom books or am I looking at the wrong thing? Now I'm sorry I paid for certification.
Sorry to hear that. It's hard to tell from here if you're looking at the wrong thing. Which parts are you finding difficult to follow and boring? You can check our individual module threads for more specific discussion:

Módulo I: La Historia del Camino
Módulo II: El Patrimonio Histórico del Camino
Módulo III: La Literatura del Camino

The intro video had subtitles. I would hope they would be available for the sessions... I will see later unless you find out before I get back to you, @Bala. I registered via English, and also had English subtitles. As I mentioned, I slowed down the Spanish and it was quite bearable, it did not distort the sound too much.
I don't see any other videos

This course - El Camino de Santiago: Patrimonio de la Humanidad para un mundo global (The Camino de Santiago: Heritage of Humanity for a global world) - consists of four modules and a test that they call a biometric exam.

Modules 1-3 are free and open to anyone. Module 4 is locked. It is only open to those who want to obtain, and pay for, the Certificado de Aprovechamiento which costs 80 €. This certificate is linked to the biometric exam, which carries one ECTS credit. The Certificado de Superación, which costs 40 €, does not give access to module 4.

I‘ve started the second MOOC offered by the University of Santiago. The (translated) title is "The Camino de Santiago: multidisciplinary didactic approaches". It puts the focus on the cultural and natural richness of the Camino de Santiago and will show the didactic possibilities that studies of the pilgrimage, the culture and heritage of St. James offer for teaching in the areas of the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Similar to the first MOOC, it consists of 4 modules, dedicated to the topics of History of Art, Geography, Tourism and Music. The first three modules are freely accessible, the last one only against payment of 80 €, which includes also a final test and the possibility of obtaining 1 ECTS credit.

I had a quick look. There is only one tarea to be submitted and, as in the first MOOC, it is optional !!! Although there is an emphasis on teaching in the description of the course, the course seems to be more geared towards learning what could be taught than towards learning how to teach it.

The course material is accessible as of 10 May 2021 and the course runs until 14 June 2021.

Last edited:

€46,-
Well done! Being on camino at the moment means I can’t even look at it, but the first three topics would likely all contain some interest for me. Let us know how you go!
Being on Camino beats doing MOOCs about Camino.

I finished modules I-III a while ago. I have already forgotten much of it. The setup is similar to the first MOOC but this time with fewer videos and fewer documents and fewer tareas. The videos are shorter, the documents are less tedious to work through, and I skipped the one and only tarea because I didn't expect to get anything out of it for myself. A lot less activity on the MOOC's forum. Module IV about pilgrim songs and music sounds interesting but my desire to hold on to my €80 is much stronger than my curiosity and my thirst for knowledge so I won't be purchasing access to it.

On the forum of the first MOOC, USC said that subscribers would have continued access to the course content. It turned out to be a misinformation. Access is blocked now. The videos of the first MOOC continue to be on YouTube but they are unlisted. There is no way to find them or view them unless you had saved the link earlier.

This sums up my experience, more or less. 😎

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back