• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free wi fi

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Last year there was a report on this forum about free wi fi along the whole of the Camino Frances. Does anyone have experience of this? What exactly is the extent of the coverage? Is it just in bars and other establishments along the way?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Free wi-fi is common all along the CF from SJPdP all the way to Santiago. In albergues both municipal and private. Hotels, pensiones and hostels. In the cafes, bars and restaurants.
I had no problem at all finding somewhere that had free wi-fi on both my CF's.
You didn't notice it when you did the CF?

Free wi-fi is common ...I had no problem at all finding somewhere that had free wi-fi on both my CF's...

It is common but NOT universal! Furthermore you generally need to ask for the password or 'contrasenda' in order to log on. Many places do promenently advertise the fact that they have WiFi.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is common but NOT universal! Furthermore you generally need to ask for the password or 'contrasenda' in order to log on. Many places do promenently advertise the fact that they have WiFi.
well, yeah of course, but it's still free.....
I would hope that is pretty much understood by anyone walking the Camino and looking to log on at any establishment.

Might correct you, it's "contraseña" ;)

And for all the rest - ask whether it is in "majuscula" or "minuscula"...

Free wi-fi is common all along the CF from SJPdP all the way to Santiago. In albergues both municipal and private. Hotels, pensiones and hostels. In the cafes, bars and restaurants.
I had no problem at all finding somewhere that had free wi-fi on both my CF's.
You didn't notice it when you did the CF?
I beg to differ. Wifi is available in bars and albergues, but rare are the towns and villages that offer it. The one spot that comes to mind is the village at the end of the 17km stretch along the meseta. There's a WIFI available to all villagers and transients, but otherwise it's private access for patrons only. And just brace yourself to see the complexity of the passwords.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, nitpicking aside, I was pretty much able to log in to the internet everyday for free on both my CF's.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, Sheesh, that's what I was thinking of. It almost seemed to suggest that there was wi fi all along the route, just as there is on many streets in town centres here in Australia. I half hoped/believed that it was an initiative to help pilgrims, given that there are so many of them!

Of course, I observed the free wi fi available last year in many bars and hostels, but then I didn't have a mobile phone at that time. I was relying on coin-in-the-slot internet access, which seems to be becoming less available and less efficient, now that many people are carrying their own devices.

Our experience in 2013 was that yes, wifi is available in many places, bandwidth was limited in most locations. This meant slow connections and drops most of the time. Be patient, and try to limit bandwidth-hogging connections such as uploading photos and VOIP sessions such as Skype. Your fellow pilgrims will thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had no trouble connecting anywhere on the CF in 2012. And I bet it has improved since then.

I only walked the CF in 2012 and I couldn't find wifi in about a half dozen towns where I stopped for the night. I tended to avoid stopping in bigger cities. As I recall though, I could probably find at least one bar / restaurant each day that had it.

Thanks to all who responded about how they were able to find free wi fi SOMEWHERE. I was really more interested in how pervasive the coverage actually was, since the news article quoted appeared to suggest it was EVERYWHERE!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I beg to differ. Wifi is available in bars and albergues, but rare are the towns and villages that offer it. The one spot that comes to mind is the village at the end of the 17km stretch along the meseta. There's a WIFI available to all villagers and transients, but otherwise it's private access for patrons only. And just brace yourself to see the complexity of the passwords.
Isn't being WiFi free wonderful? ;)

There is free wifi available in the Burgos. Just go to the tourist office and asked for a code. It is not always the best, but hey...its free, right :)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back