• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French Camino movie - Saint Jacques la Mecque

• Thread starter Former member 31048
  • Start date
F

Former member 31048

I don't know why I thought of this today but ....

I'm guessing just about everyone on the forum knows of or has seen the movie The Way. I saw it after my second camino - enjoyed it very much and thought the Estevez / Sheen son and father captured quite a lot of the spirit of The Way.

But my favourite Camino movie - ok I only know of two - is a 2005 French film titled 'Saint Jacques la Mecque'. My French pilgrim husband told me about this movie in the first days after we met. And some years later he managed to find a digital copy online. I've watched it a few times - in French with English subtitles. While much of the movie takes place on the Le Puy way before crossing over the Pyrenees - the whole film could as easily be in Spain. This is very much about the lessons we can learn by walking The Way. I won't give away any of the characters or story - but if you can find a copy, and you have a couple of hours to spare - I highly recommend it.

Wonder if anyone else has seen this film?

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I'm guessing just about everyone on the forum knows of or has seen the movie The Way. I saw it after my second camino - enjoyed it very much and thought the Estevez / Sheen son and father captured quite a lot of the spirit of The Way.

But my favourite Camino movie - ok I only know of two - is a 2005 French film titled 'Saint Jacques la Mecque'. My French pilgrim husband told me about this movie in the first days after we met. And some years later he managed to find a digital copy online. I've watched it a few times - in French with English subtitles. While much of the movie takes place on the Le Puy way before crossing over the Pyrenees - the whole film could as easily be in Spain. This is very much about the lessons we can learn by walking The Way. I won't give away any of the characters or story - but if you can find a copy, and you have a couple of hours to spare - I highly recommend it.

Yes! I saw it several years ago, and I still have a DVD but no means with which to re-watch it.
I have looked online for a digital version, and have not had any success.
Does anyone happen to know of a current digital distributor.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Iā€™ve been searching for this for years!
itā€™s not on British Netflix or Amazon but Iā€™ll keep lookingā€¦
Maybe one day Iā€™ll get lucky.

Last edited:
Several French pilgrims on the Le Puy mentioned this film and a long time ago I saw it recommended. I too have searched on and off for several years, but have never found a way to watch it. Maybe someone on the forum can find a copy and the forum can host a viewing!

My favourite Camino movie as well...thoroughly enjoyed it...would also rate it higher than The Way which I also enjoyed. I also had a DVD copy however all DVD's were left behind in our move...so was the DVD player! Would really like to see this movie again...If someone can find it I would be most interested in seeing it again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I have the dvd but unfortunately,for me,without the English subtitles so didn't fully appreciate it.
Now that I've had a reminder I shall watch it again and hope that by some miracle my grasp of French has improved.;)

Iā€™ve been searching for it for years, since 2013. Iā€™ve heard itā€™s wonderful. I guess Iā€™ll find it at the right time, Camino time šŸ’Ÿ

I just finished the Le Puy last week, I'd really like to see it.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is the best! And our public library has a copy, so I have watched it many times.

Yes! I saw it several years ago, and I still have a DVD but no means with which to re-watch it.
Where do you live? I have a dvd drive still. Maybe I could borrow your dvd?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Faye, is there any way to get the English subtitled version formatted for US DVD players. I've seen it marketed on eBay but they're all European format with German subtitles. Unfortunately, Netflix has a listing for the film but not for US audiences. Thanks Bill

Where is your public library?
Sitka Alaska. But it is possible that many interlibrary loan systems in the United States could be used to get you a copy of this movie. I don't know how interlibrary loan systems work in other countries for accessing movies.

Hi Faye, is there any way to get the English subtitled version formatted for US DVD players. I've seen it marketed on eBay but they're all European format with German subtitles. Unfortunately, Netflix has a listing for the film but not for US audiences. Thanks Bill
Not that I am aware of. Mine is in French.

Sorry -- was rushing... now, to add: I will ask my sister if she knows of anywhere in Quebec perhaps that has copies for the bilingual market there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back