A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

French camino wall map

MichaelC

Camino(s) past & future
August 2017: Le Puy to Santiago
July 2019: Cammino di Assisi (La Verna to Assisi)
I'm trying to locate a large wall map of the Camino that I saw at a lot of the gites in France. It was so common that I thought it would be easy to find when I got back - but so far I've had no luck. I've tried all sorts of internet searches, and keep hitting a dead end. I'm hoping that someone on here has seen it, or has a photo of it with the name of the association that put it out!

What stood out for me on this map was that the left hand side had a long history of the camino, with dates. This is the part that intrigues me the most, as it had information from a different perspective than a lot of the English histories. It noted events like Godelsco's pilgrimage, but also talked about the impact of the plague, the French-English wars, periods when the Catholic church encouraged pilgrimages, periods when they opposed pilgrimages, and something I vaguely recall as a 400-year period they called ... maybe ... Les chemins d'étoiles.

The map itself had icons for all the important medieval stops en route: Le Puy, Conques, Moissac, Saint Jean, etc. I can't actually remember if it had all four of the routes in France, or just the Le Puy route.

I'd love to find this again, partly for the history, partly because it was a beautiful map. And I realize this isn't much to go on, but I'm hoping someone might have some leads!

Advertisment

Landon Ricketts

Smile, you are alive. You've got options :-)
Camino(s) past & future
Past - May 2018, Future - May 2019
Just an idea, but how about emailing the accommodation that you stayed at. It is likely they have had similar enquires in the past, and you never know they may even have a spare one lying around :)

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Hola @MichaelC - I have one of those maps - mind is about 1200mmx 450mm (or if you think in feet/inches about 4ft x 1ft,3 inc). Go to Ivar's Resources tab up the top and search for one there. I think that's where i obtained mine. I had it framed and now sits beside my two compostelas and my passports. Cheers

Correction - my map is just a two dimensional one, without all that history. But a google search might bring success!!

MichaelC

Camino(s) past & future
August 2017: Le Puy to Santiago
July 2019: Cammino di Assisi (La Verna to Assisi)
Do you remember in which language it was written? Was it an old or modern style?

Your description reminded me of the Carte Historique Le Chemins de Monseigneur St Jacques, but it does not match exactly...

http://www.torep.fr/amisdelabasilique/compostelle/chemins.jpg
What a cool map. The one I'm thinking of was in modern French. And I don't remember it being that artistic ... it was the history that jumped out at me.

And if I ever do find it, I'll make sure and transcribe it on the forums, because there were little things that I found fascinating - and that I've never seen in other accounts.

Hola @MichaelC Correction - my map is just a two dimensional one, without all that history. But a google search might bring success!!
Every couple months I'll give google another try, thinking that I might finally have the right combination of phrases that will work!

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%