• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French camino wall map

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
I'm trying to locate a large wall map of the Camino that I saw at a lot of the gites in France. It was so common that I thought it would be easy to find when I got back - but so far I've had no luck. I've tried all sorts of internet searches, and keep hitting a dead end. I'm hoping that someone on here has seen it, or has a photo of it with the name of the association that put it out!

What stood out for me on this map was that the left hand side had a long history of the camino, with dates. This is the part that intrigues me the most, as it had information from a different perspective than a lot of the English histories. It noted events like Godelsco's pilgrimage, but also talked about the impact of the plague, the French-English wars, periods when the Catholic church encouraged pilgrimages, periods when they opposed pilgrimages, and something I vaguely recall as a 400-year period they called ... maybe ... Les chemins d'étoiles.

The map itself had icons for all the important medieval stops en route: Le Puy, Conques, Moissac, Saint Jean, etc. I can't actually remember if it had all four of the routes in France, or just the Le Puy route.

I'd love to find this again, partly for the history, partly because it was a beautiful map. And I realize this isn't much to go on, but I'm hoping someone might have some leads!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just an idea, but how about emailing the accommodation that you stayed at. It is likely they have had similar enquires in the past, and you never know they may even have a spare one lying around :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola @MichaelC - I have one of those maps - mind is about 1200mmx 450mm (or if you think in feet/inches about 4ft x 1ft,3 inc). Go to Ivar's Resources tab up the top and search for one there. I think that's where i obtained mine. I had it framed and now sits beside my two compostelas and my passports. Cheers

Correction - my map is just a two dimensional one, without all that history. But a google search might bring success!!

Do you remember in which language it was written? Was it an old or modern style?

Your description reminded me of the Carte Historique Le Chemins de Monseigneur St Jacques, but it does not match exactly...

http://www.torep.fr/amisdelabasilique/compostelle/chemins.jpg

What a cool map. The one I'm thinking of was in modern French. And I don't remember it being that artistic ... it was the history that jumped out at me.

And if I ever do find it, I'll make sure and transcribe it on the forums, because there were little things that I found fascinating - and that I've never seen in other accounts.

Hola @MichaelC Correction - my map is just a two dimensional one, without all that history. But a google search might bring success!!
Every couple months I'll give google another try, thinking that I might finally have the right combination of phrases that will work!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm trying to locate a large wall map of the Camino that I saw at a lot of the gites in France. It was so common that I thought it would be easy to find when I got back - but so far I've had no luck. I've tried all sorts of internet searches, and keep hitting a dead end. I'm hoping that someone on here has seen it, or has a photo of it with the name of the association that put it out!

What stood out for me on this map was that the left hand side had a long history of the camino, with dates. This is the part that intrigues me the most, as it had information from a different perspective than a lot of the English histories. It noted events like Godelsco's pilgrimage, but also talked about the impact of the plague, the French-English wars, periods when the Catholic church encouraged pilgrimages, periods when they opposed pilgrimages, and something I vaguely recall as a 400-year period they called ... maybe ... Les chemins d'étoiles.

The map itself had icons for all the important medieval stops en route: Le Puy, Conques, Moissac, Saint Jean, etc. I can't actually remember if it had all four of the routes in France, or just the Le Puy route.

I'd love to find this again, partly for the history, partly because it was a beautiful map. And I realize this isn't much to go on, but I'm hoping someone might have some leads!

I purchased this one from Amazon it came invisible framed. My husband makes my progress while I was walking to allow our 5 children and 6 grandchildren to follow my progress.

This is an older thread, but this is the Camino map I have at home. It shows most of the Camino routes in the North of Spain (Norte, Primitivo. Frances, etc). It also shows the Camino Aragones.

It is detailed enough that it even shows the small villages along the way, like Maneru to the west of Puenta la Reina. The lettering for the labels is easy to read, and it makes it easy for folks at home to mark progress with pins.

The map is a thick plastic and it is rigid. It is about 31" / 79 cm long x 9" / 22 cm tall. There is a similar smaller version in flexible vinyl that comes rolled in a tube. This bigger version does not roll up, or fold.

I mounted mine to a foam board which hangs on the wall. the foam board allows pins to be placed on the map without putting holes into the wall itself.

I picked up mine in Burgos at a souvenir shop in 2017, and it was used to follow my progress in 2018 when I returned to Camino Frances. I also saw one when I was in Santiago in October at a souvenir shop. Besides the link above, I have seen them on Pinterest and on Ebay as well. Just be aware if you want the larger size to look and make sure it matches the dimensions of this one. If you want the smaller vinyl version, it looks just as detailed, but in a smaller scale.

This is an older thread, but this is the Camino map I have at home. It shows most of the Camino routes in the North of Spain (Norte, Primitivo. Frances, etc). It also shows the Camino Aragones.

It is detailed enough that it even shows the small villages along the way, like Maneru to the west of Puenta la Reina. The lettering for the labels is easy to read, and it makes it easy for folks at home to mark progress with pins.

The map is a thick plastic and it is rigid. It is about 31" / 79 cm long x 9" / 22 cm tall. There is a similar smaller version in flexible vinyl that comes rolled in a tube. This bigger version does not roll up, or fold.

I mounted mine to a foam board which hangs on the wall. the foam board allows pins to be placed on the map without putting holes into the wall itself.

I picked up mine in Burgos at a souvenir shop in 2017, and it was used to follow my progress in 2018 when I returned to Camino Frances. I also saw one when I was in Santiago in October at a souvenir shop. Besides the link above, I have seen them on Pinterest and on Ebay as well. Just be aware if you want the larger size to look and make sure it matches the dimensions of this one. If you want the smaller vinyl version, it looks just as detailed, but in a smaller scale.
Checked it out ....beautiful map...thankyou

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back