• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French gite looking for hospitalieros

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy (2010; 2016), Norte, Primitivo, Muxia/Fisterra (2010), Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, Sanabres (2011), Arles, Aragones, Frances (2015)
I'm sharing this facebook announcement, not knowing more than what it says...
Although, I guess one has to speak French! And I know some here do ;)
If you're interested, why not give it a try? :)
I've "translated" the phone number from French to international in the translated announcement.

---
Dear pilgrim friends,
Our member from Tours, Armand Couratin, just took charge of the management of the gite du Carmel in Figeac. He's looking for hospitalieros for 2017 who can assume this gite in full independance for 1 or 2 weeks among the following ones: 16, 17, 18, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30 31, 32,33, 38 et 39.
The task are to welcome pilgrims, manage food (groceries and meals), clean up.
For more information, please contact Armand: [0033] 6 13 18 70 16 or armand.couratin@gmail.com
I hope you'll be tempted by this adventure!
Cheers,
FN
---
Chers Amis pèlerins,
Notre adhérent de Tours, Armand Couratin vient de prendre en charge la gestion du gîte du Carmel de Figeac.
Il recherche des hospitaliers pour 2017 qui puissent prendre en charge, en pleine autonomie, ce gîte pour une ou deux semaines, sur les semaines 16, 17, 18, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30 31, 32,33, 38 et 39.
Cela consiste à faire l'accueil, la gestion alimentaire : courses et repas, le ménage.
Pour plus d'informations vous pouvez prendre contact avec Armand au 06 13 18 70 16, ou armand.couratin@gmail.com
J'espère que cette aventure vous tentera !
Bien amicalement,
FN

full

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my, I wish my schoolgirl French was better, and I wish this opportunity would come in a few years time when I will no longer be working and would be able to offer my services and time. I have visited Figeac and love that part of France, it is beautiful.

Tempting but I imagine the cooking, cleaning and shopping are time and energy consuming.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you for sharing! I may be interested, but I don't understand the dates he posted... I'll have to send an email :) Merci beaucoup!

Yes.... what is the problem? I think that is what a hospitalero does, no? There must be a reason why there is a hospy training course, and why one wouls hope we show them our gratitude.
Of course it's what the hospitalero does. I was just emphasising the fact that it shouldn't be looked upon as an easy holiday.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OMG! I just wrote to Armand and volunteered to help at his gite for weeks 25 and 26. I told him I don't speak much French and that it was OK if he said no, I would understand. However, he said YES!!!!! OMG! Any advice would be most welcome. I have stayed at 20 or 25 albergues in Spain, but have never run one. This one only holds eight pilgrims at a time, which should be quite pleasant I'm imagining. How exciting!!!

Bravo et bon courage.

Tempting but I imagine the cooking, cleaning and shopping are time and energy consuming.
I was a hospitalière for 16 days at Sorges on the Voie de Vézelay two years ago. The duties were the same as described above. Each day was free between 10am and 4pm (though shopping was done in the spare time). I shared my duties with a French friend whom I'd met three years before in that very gîte. It was perfectly manageable and great fun. I absolutely recommend it. Yes - you have to speak French well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OMG! I just wrote to Armand and volunteered to help at his gite for weeks 25 and 26. I told him I don't speak much French and that it was OK if he said no, I would understand. However, he said YES!!!!! OMG! Any advice would be most welcome. I have stayed at 20 or 25 albergues in Spain, but have never run one. This one only holds eight pilgrims at a time, which should be quite pleasant I'm imagining. How exciting!!!
Take it...opportunity arised. An entire new world openned up.
I usually walk 4 weeks and volunteer hospitalera for 2 weeks. I've been hospitalera now 4 times in Spain and Italy, and am already booked for 2017 walking and hospitalera on three different pilgrimages. I'll consider adding France to my walks and hospitalera for following season.

How nice!!! Congratulations!!! I'm really happy for you!!! :)
First, serve with heart and smile. Then, still improve your French ;) Finally, do your best!
Enjoy! :)

full

I usually walk 4 weeks and volunteer hospitalera for 2 weeks. I've been hospitalera now 4 times in Spain and Italy, and am already booked for 2017 walking and hospitalera on three different pilgrimages. I'll consider adding France to my walks and hospitalera for following season.
Rosa, any advice you can share to make the experience successful?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you have the time, I suggest that you sign up for an hospitalero training class near you. Below, I am copying several links I recently shared to get training. It is a fun course and you'll be with others with the Camino hospitality spirit.
Also, to see a bit of my personal experience, you can see my fb page, Rosa's Journey, for posts while I was hospitalera around June 1 to 17 2015 and 2016, April 25 to May 1, 2016 and Sept 14 to Oct 1, 2016.
Try to learn Camino related phrases and basic conversation. The training classes give you basic phrases in Spanish, French, Italian, German, and there's always Google Translate.
http://voluntarioshospitaleros.blogspot.com/p/sea-un-voluntari.html?m=1
http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/cursos.asp
Have fun. It's hard work, but very gratifying.

We are doing France in 2018 - meeting with you in Spain though?

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back