• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French route and Arles route - connection?

N

norse pilgrim

I'm flying to Montpellier in June. I'm considering walking the Arles route as Montpellier is located right on the track. But I'm wondering, is this route still in use? Would I easily get lost without a map? Any yellow signs on the way helping me out? I'll be walking alone, so I'm hoping to get in touch with other pilgrims on the way. Should I thus stick to the more travelled route from Saint Jean Pied du Port?

I would still like to take the Napoleon Route across the Pyrenees, though,
because it's supposed to be the most beautiful pilgrim's road across the Pyrenees..... Correct me if I'm wrong!
Any suggestions on how to connect to Saint Jean Pied du Port (train/bus is no hinderance) from the Arles route just before entering the Spanish border will be appreciated.

Have a great summer everyone and enjoy this great site!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
norse pilgrim said:
I'm considering walking the Arles route as Montpellier is located right on the track. But I'm wondering, is this route still in use? Would I easily get lost without a map? Any yellow signs on the way helping me out? I'll be walking alone, so I'm hoping to get in touch with other pilgrims on the way.

Yes, the GR653 - generally called the 'Arles route' though it does not entirely correspond to the route in the Codex Calixtinus - is marked right through the city centre as the Camin Romieu, and then on with red/white stripes, not yellow arrows, to Toulouse and the Somport, where the yellow arrows start. It's one of the lesser-travelled routes though.

norse pilgrim said:
I would still like to take the Napoleon Route across the Pyrenees, though, because it's supposed to be the most beautiful pilgrim's road across the Pyrenees..... Correct me if I'm wrong!

Depends on what you mean by beautiful, I suppose. As Pyrenean crossings go, it's rather dull, as it's on tarmac for most of the way up. If you want mountain scenery, you'd be better taking one of the central Pyrenean traverses, though they are all high and so aren't really pilgrims' roads.

norse pilgrim said:
Any suggestions on how to connect to Saint Jean Pied du Port (train/bus is no hinderance) from the Arles route just before entering the Spanish border will be appreciated.

From Oloron, you can use the Chemin du Piemont to connect with SJPdP, which is also shorter than going via the Somport and the Camino Aragones.

See my website for some links for further info.
peterrobins.co.uk/camino/
If you're interested in some of the other Pyrenean passes, use web search for more info; there are some excellent sites with photos of the Pyrenees. I would though stress that the high passes should only be attempted in good weather. They're snow-bound in winter, and in summer electrical storms can be ferocious.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arles Route

The route from Montpellier is the GR653, it is completely marked to
Oloron -Sainte-Marie (south of Pau) in standard FFRP balises. You
can walk to SJPdP from Orloron on the GR10. I am planning to go
from Arles to Santiago via the Somport.
I have done both routes before, I prefer the Somport imho the
actual high level route from SJPdP is probably more scenic but lower
than the Somport however I prefer the route from the Somport to
Puente la Reina to that from Roncesvalles to PlR.
There is also considerably less traffic on this route so the refugios
are not as full.
I would suggest you obtain the guide book "Le Chemin d'Arles"
which even in French is understandable as far as route and
accomodation.
There is also another possibility of getting to SJPdP from
Le Chemin d'Arles, at Maubourget (3 days after Auch) you
are close to Condom on the GR65 (Le Puy route). Alternatively
you could catch the bus from Auch to Lectoure (60 kilometers)
and continue on the Le Puy route from there.
If you have any recent information on the actual trail at
the Somport please pass it on the FFRP no longer supports
the trail from Bedous to the Somport and I am planning on
walking it again in late summer.
Have a good walk.
CU

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back