• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French trains strike

long trails

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Finding information is not easy as to whether trains are running today to SJPdP from Bayonne. According to Google maps info they are not running due to strike action but the BBC suggests otherwise (see below).

Guess I will find out soon enough.

_100671951_map.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The calendar of potential strike days posted above shows what DATE strikes may occur but WHERE they will occur ie on which lines is not posted until the day before at 17:00 ; all lines will not be striking each day. Be sure to check on www. Oui.sncf for that info.

Finding information is not easy as to whether trains are running today to SJPdP from Bayonne. According to Google maps info they are not running due to strike action but the BBC suggests otherwise (see below).

Guess I will find out soon enough.

View attachment 40888
My first encounter with the annual French rail strikes occurred just prior to my first camino in 2012. I was quite nervous and apprehensive about the whole thing to begin with. I had my pre-purchased a TGV ticket from Bordeaux to Bayonne, and another rail ticket from there to SJPP, and arrived at the Bordeaux station early that morning to claim my seat and begin my journey. But could not find any mention of which platform to board my train on the big information board, and no one to ask. As the time for departure crept closer, I got more and more panicky about what to do. The ticket and information line snaked on forever, so I apologized with my best broken French and butted into the front of the line to the loud jeers and reprimands of all behind me! The clerk abruptly and dismissively informed me that there was no train. No train? I have a ticket, I pleaded! 'Pas de train ce matin', she confirmed, and tried to wave me away. But why? I protested in my bewilderment. 'Why?' She countered. "Because it is Tuesday!' I'm not sure I really understood that explanation, but it was my first step in taking what comes in stride. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They were on strike the day I travelled. There was a replacement bus, just took a little longer as we had to go to the intermediate stops for nobody to get on or off.

Having never tried BlaBlaCar, is it possible to arrange a lift from Paris to LePuy months in advance?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having never tried BlaBlaCar, is it possible to arrange a lift from Paris to LePuy months in advance?
I'm heading to Le Puy from CDG end of May. I have my train ticket for a non-strike day, but I did try to check the Blablacar website and it didn't offer anything for two months in advance and for such a long (9 hr trip).

Yes, should probably rethink this as 9 hours is a long time to be in a car with someone.

So trains were running on the 5th but the service to St Jean was on a bus.

The bus was packed with pilgrims. It was the 2.45pm service.

Finding a bed in St Jean was not as easy as I expected.

I have seen more rain these last two days than the whole 33 days of my first CF! It's very cold too.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back