• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD French Vaccination Pass ending on March 14th, 2022

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The French Vaccination Pass is ending on March 14th -- it will from that date be required only in Hospitals, and will be the less restrictive health pass.

The mask mandate is also ending indoors, though not in Hospitals or in public transport, local, short-, or long-distance.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The French Vaccination Pass is partially ending on March 14th -- it will from that date be required only in Hospitals and on long-distance travel such as the TGV or internal flights.

It is ending for bars and restaurants, cinemas, and other indoors settings.

The indoor mask mandate is also ending indoors, though not in Hospitals and in travel, local, short-, or long-distance.
I read this today, 3 March 2022:

European Union member countries are expected to eliminate pre-departure COVID-19 testing and quarantine procedures for travelers who are fully vaccinated.

Starting March 1, 2022, the European Council has recommended that people who received vaccines authorized in the EU should be allowed to enter without prior testing.

The new rule will apply to individuals who received the last dose of their primary vaccination series at least 14 days and no more than 270 days before arrival, or who have received a booster dose. Those who recovered from Covid-19 within 180 days of travel will also be able to skip testing.

The French Vaccination Pass is partially ending on March 14th -- it will from that date be required only in Hospitals and on long-distance travel such as the TGV or internal flights.

It is ending for bars and restaurants, cinemas, and other indoors settings.

The indoor mask mandate is also ending indoors, though not in Hospitals and in travel, local, short-, or long-distance.
Does this mean we will no longer have to attend a designated pharmacie to obtain the 'pass vaccinal,' pay €36 and use the TousAntiCovid app? (Except for Hospitals and TGV, etc)?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does this mean we will no longer have to attend a designated pharmacie to obtain the 'pass vaccinal,' pay €36 and use the TousAntiCovid app? (Except for Hospitals and TGV, etc)?
That's never technically been a requirement, given that paper documentation is sufficient.

That's never technically been a requirement, given that paper documentation is sufficient.
Surely, whether @Anna Cameron from Australia has to have her Australian vaccination document converted into a French/EU one in a pharmacy is the point of her question and not whether she shows the converted document and assorted QR code on a piece of paper or on her mobile phone when required?

@Anna Cameron, from all I know, and I listened to Jean Castex' TF1 interview yesterday and saw the headlines in the French media, the requirement to use the French pass vaccinal will be suspended as of Monday 14 March 2022. Everywhere. You, as a tourist, will not be required to show proof of your vaccination status as soon as you are out of the airport's security zones. Not even before boarding the TGV to Biarritz! They will continue to require the use of their pass sanitaire (ah, the fine differences) but that is for visits to hospitals and care homes.

Well yes, that was my point.
They will continue to require the use of their pass sanitaire (ah, the fine differences) but that is for visits to hospitals and care homes.
The pass sanitaire is currently only in use for children aged 12-15 ; all adults 16+ are using the pass vaccinal instead.

If you're going to hospital as a patient you need neither ; if you're accompanying or visiting someone there, you need the pass vaccinal, or if you're an adolescent the pass sanitaire, or if you're a child younger than 12 neither.

Paper proof of vaccination (or recovery or for the pass sanitaire a recent negative test) constitutes those documents ; the smartphone app version is for convenience and ease, but it's no requirement per se to use it, as you can use the relevant paper documents instead.

• Le passe sanitaire a été instauré par la loi du 31 mai 2021, étendu par la loi du 5 août 2021 à de nombreuses activités de la vie quotidienne et prolongé si nécessaire jusqu'au 31 juillet 2022 par la loi du 10 novembre 2021. Il est remplacé par un passe vaccinal pour les personnes de 16 ans et plus
The pass vaccinal replaces the pass sanitaire for most people.
  • Le passe vaccinal consiste à présenter, au format numérique (via « Mon carnet » de l'application TousAntiCovid ) ou papier, une preuve sanitaire
The pass vaccinal is either the smartphone version or paper proof of vaccination status.

If you're only going to be using it for one or two train journeys, it's clearly not going to be worth the extra expense to smartphonise it.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Anna Cameron I recall you are flying from Australia to France late April, well past the mid March date for these changes. All will be very clear by then. Everything is moving in a positive direction for we Australians travelling to France. Tout sera bien 🙏

Sigh. Against better knowledge, I should not continue to comment and ought to just let this go because such details are of zero zilch interest to the foreign tourist from far away who is anxious about their upcoming Camino trip that will start in France. BUT:

Since I listened, on purpose, several times to the interview that Jean Castex, French Prime Minister, gave yesterday at 13:00 to TF1 and that you, too, can listen to on YouTube: He explained that the pass vaccinal will cease to be required partout où il existe and that the pass sanitaire reste au vigeur. I am surprised that you are not aware of this. BTW, it helps understanding when you actually use TousAntiCovid and scan your vaccination certificates into it. I recommend it to any poster commenting on this topic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Kathar1na that's helpful -- what it means is that if you're inside France, from March 14th you will be able to travel long-distance without the pass. :cool:

I'll edit the first post -- which was made almost immediately after the announcement, and some news reports within that first hour were a little sketchy.

I'll edit the first post -- which was made almost immediately after the announcement, and some news reports within that first hour were a little sketchy.
Good to see that you corrected thread title and first post. Piece of advice: Don't use Schengenvisainfo news articles without checking the original source. In fact, don't use any news article without checking the original source. This is the internet, it's easy to do.

Good to see that you corrected thread title and first post. Piece of advice: Don't use Schengenvisainfo news articles without checking the original source. In fact, don't use any news article without checking the original source. This is the internet, it's easy to do.
It was Le Monde ... and the official Government statement hadn't been published yet.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Surely, whether @Anna Cameron from Australia has to have her Australian vaccination document converted into a French/EU one in a pharmacy is the point of her question and not whether she shows the converted document and assorted QR code on a piece of paper or on her mobile phone when required?

@Anna Cameron, from all I know, and I listened to Jean Castex' TF1 interview yesterday and saw the headlines in the French media, the requirement to use the French pass vaccinal will be suspended as of Monday 14 March 2022. Everywhere. You, as a tourist, will not be required to show proof of your vaccination status as soon as you are out of the airport's security zones. Not even before boarding the TGV to Biarritz! They will continue to require the use of their pass sanitaire (ah, the fine differences) but that is for visits to hospitals and care homes.
Thank you, Kathar1na

Thank you, that was indeed the point of my question and I checked several different French government sites again before posting earlier. The advice to visitors had not been updated on some pages (about 5 hours ago) but it may well be by now. I am actually flying into Nice this time, so no TGV to Biarritz, but a train to Toulon prior to the Chemin d'Arles - I have been puzzling over finding a designated pharmacie near the Aeroport Côte d'Azur, but it's good to learn that this requirement has been dropped.

@Anna Cameron I recall you are flying from Australia to France late April, well past the mid March date for these changes. All will be very clear by then. Everything is moving in a positive direction for we Australians travelling to France. Tout sera bien 🙏
Correct, anamcara, flying out on ANZAC Day. And, just as you have assured me previously, everything is moving in a positive direction for us. For you and your husband, too! Bonne route, bon Chemin! 👍

Thank goodness!! Finally!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The advice to visitors had not been updated on some pages (about 5 hours ago) but it may well be by now.
There may be an official announcement on those websites soon but it could also take some time. These government websites are often only updated on or just before the date when the changes in law are actually applicable.

The French Vaccination Pass is ending on March 14th -- it will from that date be required only in Hospitals, and will be the less restrictive health pass.

The mask mandate is also ending indoors, though not in Hospitals or in public transport, local, short-, or long-distance.
🤗 Great news!!! But I’m still going to wear a mask unless eating or sleeping. I’m asthmatic.

🤗 Great news!!! But I’m still going to wear a mask unless eating or sleeping. I’m asthmatic.
Yes! It's important to realize that government mandates, recommendations and suggestions are really just the minimum we need to do to protect ourselves from infection and others in the community. . . . and given the 'life or death' weight of what has been going on, who wants to do just the 'minimum'?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There may be an official announcement on those websites soon but it could also take some time. These government websites are often only updated on or just before the date when the changes in law are actually applicable.
Yes, and that's often a source of confusion for we humble pilgrims.

Spent the last couple of hours on various websites trying to figure out Covid requirements for spring Podiensis, flights in/out Paris. The United site is pretty clear that US citizens entering France if fully vaccinated no longer requires Covid testing before leaving the States. However, it seems it may still be required to get back home. I'm not sure what test to purchase ahead of time or how to do it, if it is still required in the next couple of months. Also, was planning to get the QR code in CDG airport pharmacy but am not clear if this is still required. I know, I know. There have been posts about this and many opinions. But if anyone can help with a simple solution, knowing things will likely change, I'd appreciate it. Covid requirements are way more challenging than any of the trails!

Also, was planning to get the QR code in CDG airport pharmacy but am not clear if this is still required. I know, I know. There have been posts about this and many opinions.
The French government, in French only I'm afraid and published on 4 March 2022, says that it is no longer required à compter du 14 mars, exactly as it says in the title of this thread: https://www.gouvernement.fr/actuali...nal-et-le-port-du-masque-a-compter-du-14-mars.

In addition to this official French government website, the French Prime Minister tweeted it on Twitter, said it in an interview on TV and stated it in an official press release. Surely this clears up any remaining doubts. No vaccination pass needed as of 14 March 2022 for travel within France: https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/d...olution_des_mesures_covid-19_-_03.03.2022.pdf

PS: I have edited several posts to make the thread more up to date in the hope that it will prevent further confusion and bring more clarity.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Social distancing rules and occupation gauges are also to come to an end in France, as announced this morning, which mainly concerns employees in businesses -- but it does mean that bars, and restaurants, public transport, and gîtes, pilgrim albergues, etc. will no longer have distancing rules nor occupancy limits from Monday onwards.

The French government, in French only I'm afraid and published on 4 March 2022, says that it is no longer required à compter du 14 mars, exactly as it says in the title of this thread: https://www.gouvernement.fr/actuali...nal-et-le-port-du-masque-a-compter-du-14-mars.

In addition to this official French government website, the French Prime Minister tweeted it on Twitter, said it in an interview on TV and stated it in an official press release. Surely this clears up any remaining doubts. No vaccination pass needed as of 14 March 2022 for travel within France: https://www.gouvernement.fr/sites/d...olution_des_mesures_covid-19_-_03.03.2022.pdf

PS: I have edited several posts to make the thread more up to date in the hope that it will prevent further confusion and bring more clarity.
@Kathar1na thanks once again for putting any lingering doubts to bed. I have been scampering around the French Govt. sites attempting to pin it down - especially as our Singapore Flight will now be diverting around Ukraine and arriving at CDG later, sufficiently later to give us panic attacks about making it to our pre-booked seats on the TGV down below. I've suspected from the outset that you might be a lawyer, because of your determination to get at the facts. No need to follow up on that. I'd just like you to know that your efforts are appreciated.
Dan

This thread has given me a lot more options, both for travel and for camino chosen, than I had previously anticipated. I have recently been attracted to the Le Puy route, thanks to the threads posted by Efren Gonzalez. But I found the thought of going through a whole additional set of covid regulations daunting. Of course, there may be a new variant circulating by the time I am heading for a camino in the fall, but I have at least set my imagination free to hope. And "Bon chemin" to all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread has given me a lot more options, both for travel and for camino chosen, than I had previously anticipated. I have recently been attracted to the Le Puy route, thanks to the threads posted by Efren Gonzalez. But I found the thought of going through a whole additional set of covid regulations daunting. Of course, there may be a new variant circulating by the time I am heading for a camino in the fall, but I have at least set my imagination free to hope. And "Bon chemin" to all.
Wonderful idea @Albertagirl I highly recommend the Le Puy route. And the quieter Arles Way. Both are glorious, in my view. We will be walking the even quieter Chemin du Piemont starting 1 April.

We fly from Sydney to Paris on 21 March. Travel to and within France has become progressively easier in recent months and quickly so in recent weeks as @Kathar1na has reported.

Whatever you choose - safe travels. And trust it will be a joyful camino for you. Buen camino. Bon chemin. ❤️🇫🇷🇪🇸❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
France has included the US in its list of "green" countries, meaning that travellers to France from that country now need either a vaccination certificate or just a negative test, or proof of a recent recovery from covid. Canada is also in the "green" list.

Australia and the UK remain in the "orange" list. The vaccinated may travel freely from those countries, with a completed form declaring no covid symptoms, and the unvaccinated only for "imperative reasons", and a negative test and a completed form declaring no covid symptoms.

No quarantine requirements exist in any case.

Last edited:
Australia and the UK remain in the "orange" list. The vaccinated may travel freely from those countries, with a negative test and a completed form declaring no covid symptoms, and the unvaccinated only for "imperative reasons", also with a negative test and a completed form declaring no covid symptoms.
We are flying from Sydney to Paris in a few days' time. My understanding is that, as a fully vaccinated person, the French government no longer requires me to have a test / negative result to enter the country. My source is

"No test is required to travel to mainland France from a country classified on the “orange” list for vaccinated travellers."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are flying from Sydney to Paris in a few days' time. My understanding is that, as a fully vaccinated person, the French government no longer requires me to have a negative result to enter the country. My source is

"No test is required to travel to mainland France from a country classified on the “orange” list for vaccinated travellers."
That is my understanding, as well (vaccinated Australians no longer required to have a test prior to entering France). I believe there may still be a declaration form we must complete and submit, along with proof of full vaccination status, but all French government sites indicate that (à partir de 14 mars) we don't have to be tested.

That is my understanding, as well (vaccinated Australians no longer required to have a test prior to entering France). I believe there may still be a declaration form we must complete and submit, along with proof of full vaccination status, but all French government sites indicate that (à partir de 14 mars) we don't have to be tested.
Exactly, and it was even before 14 March that the requirement of the test for entry into France was dropped for fully vaxxed people from orange countries - in fact some weeks ago. Bon voyage et bon chemin Anna!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
*Sigh*
I won't feel completely safe until I see the numbers 2/3 weeks after these mandates are dropped. If the numbers start to rise again, I think all bets will be off.
So, do we still need to bring proof of vaccination and masks when arriving in Europe from wherever??

We are flying from Sydney to Paris in a few days' time. My understanding is that, as a fully vaccinated person, the French government no longer requires me to have a test / negative result to enter the country. My source is

Not what I read on a French Government website earlier.

But, checking :

As I said, from a "green" country, "either a vaccination certificate or just a negative test, or proof of a recent recovery from covid".

But according to this, no test is necessary for the vaccinated.

I guess the other government site I consulted has some out-of-date information.

I'll correct my earlier post. So thanks !!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
*Sigh*
I won't feel completely safe until I see the numbers 2/3 weeks after these mandates are dropped. If the numbers start to rise again, I think all bets will be off.
So, do we still need to bring proof of vaccination and masks when arriving in Europe from wherever??
HI Kathy - I can understand the *Sigh* 😞 I can only really speak to our circumstances - flying from Sydney to Paris and travelling within France and across to Spain.

But, as others have said, definitely carry proof of vaccination (we will have digital and multiple printed copies). We need proof of vaccination to board our outgoing flight as well as entering France. And we will take a few of our own masks, including N95s, but no doubt you'll be able to buy them. We still wear masks in places where they are no longer mandated in our home State and we will do the same in France. As @C clearly says, proof of vaccination and masks will likely be with us for quite some time.

As for feeling 'completely safe' - we don't feel safe from COVID. We (my husband and I) are fully vaxxed and boostered and continue to be prudent in our day to day life. We have not yet had COVID but fully expect we will at some stage - somewhere, and very likely while we are in France, I'd imagine. When restrictions ease, cases rise - it's the same here in Australia. We have been self isolating for weeks so as not to get COVID and have to cancel or postpone our trip.

Everyone's risk / reward threshold is different. For us, we have family (adult daughters and their partners and 6 grandchildren) in France whom we haven't seen since before COVID. Spending time with them is the first priority for this trip ... and while we are there we will be taking the opportunity to walk as well. We could have gone as early as December 2021 and we could put it off until later ... but we have decided we don't want to put it off any longer. If we didn't have our family in France, maybe we would wait a while - but, somehow, I don't think so. For us, it's time ...

All the best for your future plans. You'll know when the time is right for you.🙏

*Sigh*
YES! The thing is - everything is constantly changing. Even when I walked last summer - the rules and restrictions were continually changing as I walked from SJPDP to Finisterre. Right not the trend around the world is that restrictions are starting to loosen (not everywhere) and countries are wanting to transition to pre-COVID life. But that doesn't mean it is over or that rules and restrictions won't be put back into place between now and whenever you complete your walk. If you have your vaccination record with you at all times, you will be ready in case you need it. Masks are easier to replace - but they are so small and light you may as well have one in your pack at all times - just in case. I think these are the only "just in case" item I highly recommend everyone bring!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
France has updated the list of "green" countries :

Most notably for pilgrims -- both Camino and Francigena -- the United Kingdom is now on the "green" list, so that the unvaccinated may now travel into France from that country for "non-essential" reasons, with a negative PCR test 72 hours, or a negative antigen test 48 hours. Australia remains on the "orange" list.

fb0a85d9712ddbf116db18efd914f1277805406144ae043a6ba8a2eefddf9dd1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.