• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French Way 2016

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
Yes. Friend Craig and I now have our plane tickets in hand. Arrive in Madrid on April 12th at 0800 giving us plenty of time to get a train or bus to Pamplona and spend the night. Cab to SJPD on the 13th, spend 1 or 2 nights then start our Camino on the 14th or 15th taking 2 days to get to Roncesvalles. We have to fly back to the Colonies on May 25th which gives us 6 weeks to walk the French Camino and on to Fisterra.
We are open to advice on train/bus schedules to Pamplona as well as over night accommodations. Buen Camino

Happy Happy Trails

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes. Friend Craig and I now have our plane tickets in hand. Arrive in Madrid on April 12th at 0800 giving us plenty of time to get a train or bus to Pamplona and spend the night. Cab to SJPD on the 13th, spend 1 or 2 nights then start our Camino on the 14th or 15th taking 2 days to get to Roncesvalles. We have to fly back to the Colonies on May 25th which gives us 6 weeks to walk the French Camino and on to Fisterra.
We are open to advice on train/bus schedules to Pamplona as well as over night accommodations. Buen Camino

Happy Happy Trails
Hi, can't help you with the questions you ask but what I can do is to wish you both well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can catch a bus to Pampalona direct from the Madrid Airport (Madrid Aeropuerto Bargas) without ever going into Madrid proper. It leaves from Terminal T-4 where the international arrivals usually land. As soon as you walk out of the customs area you will see an information booth straigh ahead. They can point out where the bus leaves from. All the busses leave from the outer bus lane furtherest from the terminal but still under the awning. You can even buy your tickets ahead at https://www.movelia.es/en/ It is a Conda bus (very nice) line and is about a 5-6 hour trip. We did the same thing last year and stayed at Hostal Arriazu, Calle de las Comedias, 14, just a half block off the main square. But there may be options closer to the bus station. The main bus station is actually underground and located under the park a little southwest of the main city area. There is also a post office nearby where you can ship junk to Ivar.

Hope this helps.

Marlin

Attachments

• Pamplona.jpg
    Pamplona.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 1
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If I read your plans correct, you are planning to take two days to get to Roncesvalles from SJPP(?) If that means sleeping on the trail, keep in mind April is rainy. Otherwise, SJPP to Roncesvalles is a single day walk. Leave at day break from SJPP and enjoy walking in the sunrise. That way you have plenty of time to get to Roncevalles. BTW, get Breakfast @ the Orrison. As far as the train. I flew into Madrid and take the high speed train to Pamplona. The train terminal connection is at the airport in Madrid. When I get to Pamplona I taxi to SJPP. Split the taxi with other peregrinos.

You can reserve a bed at Orisson or Huntos to break the walk to Roncevalles.
If you walk the other route there are several bed options available.
No need to walk it in one day unless you want to.
I have done it several times on both routes.
I Stopped once in Orisson once for the experience.

Walking from SJPdP to Roncevalles in one day is not the horror ordeal often described here. :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back