• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French way: Paved sections to skip

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure what percentage of the Frances is paved/improved path, but it's a lot and quite often you transition from different surfaces on the same day. So to narrow it down to a paved section is a bit problematic.
How many days do you have to walk the Frances? Perhaps that could help answer. Also I recommend getting a guidebook and researching the route and on the maps you see what is paved and what is not and can make your own decisions.
ultreia

Hello, I don't have enough time to walk the entire Camino Frances. Which paved sections could be avoided to save time? Thanks.
I hiked the first three stages into Pamplona in 2016.

In 2017, I hiked from Pamplona to Burgos...took a train to Astorga. (7 days) I hiked Astorga to el Acebo (1 day), took a taxi to Vega de la Valcarce and then hiked that into Santiago. (5 days).

I had a time constraint that kept me from hiking (or biking) the Bugos to Astorga stages. I'll be back to do that someday soon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, I don't have enough time to walk the entire Camino Frances. Which paved sections could be avoided to save time? Thanks.
Hello. I realize there is not one answer to this question. I have 25 days and I am not fast. I may just cut a section and move on. I have watched many videos from previous pilgrims and, unlike other routes that cross industrial areas o have long sections on paved roads, I haven't seen any section on the CF that are particularly like that. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
as a rough guide......
according to the John Brierley Guide.
I have added up the sections.

He categorises the paths on each section into 3 types.

1. Natural paths. Including gravel 'senda'.
  2. Secondary roads
  3. Main roads.
If I add up all the natural path distances it comes out to 538.1 kms. (69% of the distance).
So about 240 kms of asphalt/concrete.

Though some of those 'natural' paths might also include old roman roads, that can be hard on the feet too!

But as others have said, most sections are a combination of surfaces, or maybe a paved section amongst lots of mixed sections.

As Robo points out in the Brierly guide, there are details as to how much of each stage is paved versus natural on every profile diagram.

Last edited:
Hello. I realize there is not one answer to this question. I have 25 days and I am not fast. I may just cut a section and move on. I have watched many videos from previous pilgrims and, unlike other routes that cross industrial areas o have long sections on paved roads, I haven't seen any section on the CF that are particularly like that. Thank you!
A couple of questions before I offer my advice.
1) How many km can you realistically walk day after day? Have you trained for ascents and descents?
2) What time of year are you planning to go?
3) Does the 25 days include your travel time to get to/from the Camino? Where are you coming from?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Don't skip anything. Just walk as far as you can :)

Exactly, pick a place to start. If you want to get to Santiago pick a place where you think you can make it and just walk. Why make things complicated? One of the biggest joys of pilgrimage is uncomplicating and stripping down to the bare minimum in every respect. Believe me you will waste a lot of time and energy skipping.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My wife and I have been on the route sonce June 13. Arrived in Sarria today (super hot weather and many pilgrims). Everyone answering your question will have an opinion, so here's mine: Take the bus from Los Arcos to Logrono. It's easy to find and saves you a stage. Walking in and out of Leon is a slog. I'd accelerate through Leon to Hospital de Orbigo. Leon is beautiful, but if you stay in Burgos, you'll get your "city fix" and needn't do both if pressed. The section from Rabanal into Molinaseca is really tough on the legs, with a good 3 hour descent on either rock or roadway as well, and the adjoining walk from Molinasecca into Ponferrada is totally urban. So right there, you could shave 4 -5 days off your trip with little regret. Lastly, if you are really tight for time, there is no shame in starting from a town other than St. Jean. Pamplona is an excellent start point and saves you another 3-4 days. I would NOT skip the meseta! So peaceful and full of quinessential Spanish villages and churches. Have a great Camino...we are!!

In my opinion it might feel better, as noted above, to pick a stretch say from Leon and walk all of from there. You will be in a flow of pilgrims; you will feel that sense of community and meeting people again and getting to know them. Skipping sections might feel disruptive and you are then picking and choosing. Take the head stuff out of it, let the heart feel. I am fairly certain this would feel more satisfying. Galicia is just outrageously beautiful; I probably breezed through too fast. Take your time and absorb. I’d go back to Leon tomorrow if I could and I only home 3 weeks from Santiago. Let yourself feel, enjoy and love it !!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I have been on the route sonce June 13. Arrived in Sarria today (super hot weather and many pilgrims). Everyone answering your question will have an opinion, so here's mine: Take the bus from Los Arcos to Logrono. It's easy to find and saves you a stage. Walking in and out of Leon is a slog. I'd accelerate through Leon to Hospital de Orbigo. Leon is beautiful, but if you stay in Burgos, you'll get your "city fix" and needn't do both if pressed. The section from Rabanal into Molinaseca is really tough on the legs, with a good 3 hour descent on either rock or roadway as well, and the adjoining walk from Molinasecca into Ponferrada is totally urban. So right there, you could shave 4 -5 days off your trip with little regret. Lastly, if you are really tight for time, there is no shame in starting from a town other than St. Jean. Pamplona is an excellent start point and saves you another 3-4 days. I would NOT skip the meseta! So peaceful and full of quinessential Spanish villages and churches. Have a great Camino...we are!!
Thank you! I want to cross the Pyrenees so I will start in SJPDP, I definitely want to walk the meseta,quick visit Burgosand walk from Sarria to Santiago. My focus is the walk, and with such little time I don't expect to do a lot of sightseeing. I leave for Spain next week. Buen Camino!

A couple of questions before I offer my advice.
1) How many km can you realistically walk day after day? Have you trained for ascents and descents?
2) What time of year are you planning to go?
3) Does the 25 days include your travel time to get to/from the Camino? Where are you coming from?
I am leaving next week and my start point is SJPDP. Twenty five days will be my walking time. I am not in great shape ( long story) therefore I am planning to carry the bare minimum which I have tested on a few walks and it is not too hard on my body. I want to walk the meseta and the last stretch to Santiago

How exciting! I like your plan of starting in SJPP. Both times that I have crossed the Pyrenees were extra special! Navarra and Rioja provinces are favorites of mine. I, too, found the Meseta a great part of the walk and a part of the Camino that I would not have wanted to miss. So, with only 25 days, you’ll have to do some picking and choosing, but there are no “bad” days on the CF. Different stages simply offer different challenges. I understand walking the last 100 kms into Santiago, but I don’t think you’ll find it the most satisfying part of your Camino after having been on earlier sections. Nonetheless, after that much time walking, your arrival in Santiago will be very special and you will certainly understand the meaning of the pilgrimage. Starts in a week! Wow! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I dislike the pavement and cement but sometimes the pavement is easier than the path! Occasionally one experiences downhills, where paths are full of rocks and very steep, making the walk slow and slippery.

Pavement areas
How exciting! I like your plan of starting in SJPP. Both times that I have crossed the Pyrenees were extra special! Navarra and Rioja provinces are favorites of mine. I, too, found the Meseta a great part of the walk and a part of the Camino that I would not have wanted to miss. So, with only 25 days, you’ll have to do some picking and choosing, but there are no “bad” days on the CF. Different stages simply offer different challenges. I understand walking the last 100 kms into Santiago, but I don’t think you’ll find it the most satisfying part of your Camino after having been on earlier sections. Nonetheless, after that much time walking, your arrival in Santiago will be very special and you will certainly understand the meaning of the pilgrimage. Starts in a week! Wow! Buen Camino
I am leaving next week and my start point is SJPDP. Twenty five days will be my walking time. I am not in great shape ( long story) therefore I am planning to carry the bare minimum which I have tested on a few walks and it is not too hard on my body. I want to walk the meseta and the last stretch to Santiago
The walk up and down to Roncevalles is mostly on a paved road! And do monitor the weather! Currently expecting another heatwave. Of course weather can change quickly In the mountains.

I usually don't recommend that pilgrims skip around, as you won't make the friendships that are important to MY Camino, but given your desires and physical fitness below are some of my suggestions.
1) Given your physical fitness, I would definitely not go to Roncesvalles in one day. In fact, I personally rarely recommend to do it in one day. Stay at Orisson or Borda. You will need a reservation!
2) Given your short time frame, you might be tempted to push yourself too hard in the beginning. This could put your entire Camino at risk due to injury. Keep your distances short to moderate the first week and build your strength.
3) You may want to consider using the bag service. I know you have packed light and it feels good now. Someone it always feels much heavier day after day. I would take a foldable duffle to send things ahead if desired and carry your backpack. Not carrying this weight will allow you to cover more distance.
4) Keep in mind that it could be very hot and this will impact your ability to cover as much ground. The summer is one of the few times I take a headlamp so that I can start very early and be done by the time it gets too hot. The mornings are still nice in Spain.
5) These are some sections I would consider skipping. I feel that they have good transportation options there is a lot of road walking most often in suburbs or industrial sections.

* Catch the bus in Belorado and go on to Burgos. If you catch the morning bus, you could spend half a day in Burgos and then taxi or bus out to Rabe de las Calzadas and be ready to walk the next morning. This will save you about 2.5-3 days. The walking into and out of Burgos will not be missed. There is a nice climb through the forrest after Villafranca but it doesn't rank with some of the other not to miss areas.
* Get a train from Sahagun to Leon. If you spend the night in Sahagun, you could catch the early train and have the day to see Leon. Check the bus schedule and see if you could get to Hospital de Orbigo later that day and be ready to walk the next morning. This would save about 2.5 days. You could go on to Astorga to save a little more time and you could catch the train.
* You could arrange for a taxi to pick you up at Cruz de Fero or Manjarin. The downhill from here to Molineseca is where I have seen the most injuries. The rocks are difficult and the alternative is walking the road.
* Molineseca to Camponaraya can definitely be skipped. You may want to taxi to Ponferrada, visit the castle (closed on Mondays) and then continue on to Camponaraya to continue walking. If you take the cab from Cruz de Fero you will save about 2 days
* Now for your desire to walk the Meseta. I love the Meseta in the spring and early summer. However, later in the summer it can be very hot and very brown. I was through there a couple of weeks ago and due to the intense heat it was drying up fast. The wheat was golden and had not been harvested. Once it is harvested, it is just a lot of brown dirt. So I don't know your desire, but at this time of year I would consider skipping more of it in order to enjoy other areas. I would never consider skipping it in spring or early summer.
Hopefully, this will be helpful. Skipping around it a different kind of Camino, but its your Camino.
Ultreia Y Susia

Last edited:
Get yourself a Brierley guidebook for the Frances. Plan your route accordingly using that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I usually don't recommend that pilgrims skip around, as you won't make the friendships that are important to MY Camino, but given your desires and physical fitness below are some of my suggestions.
1) Given your physical fitness, I would definitely not go to Roncesvalles in one day. In fact, I personally rarely recommend to do it in one day. Stay at Orisson or Borda. You will need a reservation!
2) Given your short time frame, you might be tempted to push yourself too hard in the beginning. This could put your entire Camino at risk due to injury. Keep your distances short to moderate the first week and build your strength.
3) You may want to consider using the bag service. I know you have packed light and it feels good now. Someone it always feels much heavier day after day. I would take a foldable duffle to send things ahead if desired and carry your backpack. Not carrying this weight will allow you to cover more distance.
4) Keep in mind that it could be very hot and this will impact your ability to cover as much ground. The summer is one of the few times I take a headlamp so that I can start very early and be done by the time it gets too hot. The mornings are still nice in Spain.
5) These are some sections I would consider skipping. I feel that they have good transportation options there is a lot of road walking most often in suburbs or industrial sections.

* Catch the bus in Belorado and go on to Burgos. If you catch the morning bus, you could spend half a day in Burgos and then taxi or bus out to Rabe de las Calzadas and be ready to walk the next morning. This will save you about 2.5-3 days. The walking into and out of Burgos will not be missed. There is a nice climb through the forrest after Villafranca but it doesn't rank with some of the other not to miss areas.
* Get a train from Sahagun to Leon. If you spend the night in Sahagun, you could catch the early train and have the day to see Leon. Check the bus schedule and see if you could get to Hospital de Orbigo later that day and be ready to walk the next morning. This would save about 2.5 days. You could go on to Astorga to save a little more time and you could catch the train.
* You could arrange for a taxi to pick you up at Cruz de Fero or Manjarin. The downhill from here to Molineseca is where I have seen the most injuries. The rocks are difficult and the alternative is walking the road.
* Molineseca to Camponaraya can definitely be skipped. You may want to taxi to Ponferrada, visit the castle (closed on Mondays) and then continue on to Camponaraya to continue walking. If you take the cab from Cruz de Fero you will save about 2 days
* Now for your desire to walk the Meseta. I love the Meseta in the spring and early summer. However, later in the summer it can be very hot and very brown. I was through there a couple of weeks ago and due to the intense heat it was drying up fast. The wheat was golden and had not been harvested. Once it is harvested, it is just a lot of brown dirt. So I don't know your desire, but at this time of year I would consider skipping more of it in order to enjoy other areas. I would never consider skipping it in spring or early summer.
Hopefully, this will be helpful. Skipping around it a different kind of Camino, but its your Camino.
Ultreia Y Susia
Thanks very much for the detailed answer. Considering the heatwave currently happening in Europe , and your comment about it being brown, I am thinking of skipping it . I want to enjoy my walk, not suffer through it unnecessarily.

Thanks very much for the detailed answer. Considering the heatwave currently happening in Europe , and your comment about it being brown, I am thinking of skipping it . I want to enjoy my walk, not suffer through it unnecessarily.
Buen Camino.....and don't forget to stay off of the book stages in the last 100km to avoid the crowds. I also make sure that I am not walking through one of the stage towns before 9:00 a.m. Otherwise, you might get caught in the crowds departing in the morning.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back