• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French Way - Sleeping bag or Liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chignome

Keeping the Faith
Time of past OR future Camino
4-25-23
I'll be starting my Camino 4/25 - I'm trying to decide on my sleeping bag sit. I plan on 85% Hostel sleeps and wonder if a Thermolite Reactor Extreme LINER (+15degrees to normal sleeping bag) is adequate for this time of year? Some have said a silk liner is adequate, but I'm not sure they were walking at this time of year. (less than 4 days! scream! :) )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be starting my Camino 4/25 - I'm trying to decide on my sleeping bag sit. I plan on 85% Hostel sleeps and wonder if a Thermolite Reactor Extreme LINER (+15degrees to normal sleeping bag) is adequate for this time of year? Some have said a silk liner is adequate, but I'm not sure they were walking at this time of year. (less than 4 days! scream! :) )
I always carry a light down sleeping bag if I am planning on sleeping in Albergues. If I am planning on staying in Hostals, Hotels & the ilk I see no need

I always carry a light down sleeping bag if I am planning on sleeping in Albergues. If I am planning on staying in Hostals, Hotels & the ilk I see no need
uh oh....I didn't know there was a diff btwn Albergues and Hostals (thanks for spelling correct!)...I am planning on Albergues...i think...what is the difference - I'm fluent in 2 languages, but Spanish or French are not one of them {:-/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Spain a hostal is a cheap hotel, not what you'd call a hostel in English. So hostales have all private rooms, not dormitories.

In Spain a hostal is a cheap hotel, not what you'd call a hostel in English. So hostales have all private rooms, not dormitories.
Thank you! I plan on Albergues, for the most part, then. Are you out there now? How are those at night temperature-wise? Anyone?

My husband used a Thermolite Reactor liner our first Camino. You may need to wear some of your clothes during the first few weeks to sleep in as April and May can have variable weather. It was too hot for him later in the year and we now carry just silk liner bags for the warm months. Albergues are rooms with bunk beds usually for several people although they can also have private rooms.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergues are the basic, usually dormitory style, accommodations serving the pilgrim paths. Hostals are generally small, family run, Hotels.

Albergues will usually provide some sort of disposable bottom sheet and pillow cover and some, very variably, will provide blankets. I'm never prepared to risk my own comfort / nights sleep. That's why I carry the sack. And it means I'll likely survive a night in a church porch if things go awry

Thank you! I plan on Albergues, for the most part, then. Are you out there now? How are those at night temperature-wise? Anyone?
I'm currently living in northern Spain. Inside my house (without heating) it is more than 10ÂşC all the time (usually more like 13-15). The outdoor temperature has been as low as 3ÂşC in the last week, but it won't be that cold in a dorm with other people.

Albergues are the basic, usually dormitory style, accommodations serving the pilgrim paths. Hostals are generally small, family run, Hotels.

Albergues will usually provide some sort of disposable bottom sheet and pillow cover and some, very variably, will provide blankets. I'm never prepared to risk my own comfort / nights sleep. That's why I carry the sack. And it means I'll likely survive a night in a church porch if things go awry
And the questions keep coming... PILLOWs! to bring or not bring? Wadding up my clothes is what I was planning - but in the interest of a good nights rest... what say you? If you can't tell, I am highly interested in keeping my pack as light as possible (have some back limitations I need to be vigilant about in order to be able to complete my pilgrimage).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And the questions keep coming... PILLOWs! to bring or not bring? Wadding up my clothes is what I was planning - but in the interest of a good nights rest... what say you? If you can't tell, I am highly interested in keeping my pack as light as possible (have some back limitations I need to be vigilant about in order to be able to complete my pilgrimage).
Most albergues have pillows. I bring a lightweight sarong as a pillow cover, also doubles as a wrap coming out of the shower.

Most albergues have pillows, but not all. I also use a scarf as a pillow cover. Some albergues that don't have pillows include the parroquial ones at Granon and Viana where you are sleeping on a "gym mat" on the floor.

I have done 3 Caminos, 2 on Frances and have not seen a single ablergue that does not have pillows. Worst case scenario I could use a shirt or backpack under my head for one night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When it comes to a sleeping setup, then just concider what is the least you would be comfortable with. Also, of it will all fit well in your backpack. You can alwys add a layer of clothing or two on yourself for those colder nights. Besides most albegues have basic blankets you can use for those chilly nights.

I personally would do the liner right about now. Unless you have a very lightweight sleeping bag. The days are getting warmer as we move west. I have a sleeping bag and I’ve used it a few times, more like a blanket though.

I am day 4 now into the camino frances. The nights are cold. Not all albergues have blankets. The main albergues in roncesvalles and in zubiri have no blankets. My friend in her silk liner was freezing. She did not sleep. I had my lightweight sleeping bag and was toasty warm I saw that most of the people from around the world have a sleeping bag with them . Take a sleeping bag .
Everywhere has pillows so far but it’s only day 4 for me

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will combine a silk liner with a merino wool travel blanket from coccoon.
Their combined weight is 580gr (190+390), they pack small and that way you have both options.

agree with @MadisV
On top of everything else DO REMEMBER - anything you bring with you have to carry... 500 miles
So lest you want to recreate Napoleon retreat after crossing Berezina in 1812 consider the weight and ramifications
I did not travel during this time of the year but for staying in Albergues all the time (4 times I did have a private room but all others instances were in communal dorm) I had a light liner and pretty much all but ONE Albergue provided pillow covers

This thread has inspired me to start a poll here. I think it is safe to say that the advice from experienced pilgrims will be very similar for any of the months that are not mid-summer or winter, and for any of the routes in Spain and Portugal.

I will close this thread, since the OP has received some good specific replies, and it would be nice to collect the future advice on a single general thread.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.