• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I keep all the credentials from my previous walks, one framed on the wall the others are safe in a japanned box. I use them as a photo album to recall places visited, friends met along the way, and particularly pleasant evenings we spent together. The sellos are often real works of art and I enjoy just looking too. My question, how do you say sello in French, and more, something I haven’t found in the more accessible phrase books, what is the correct way to request one?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
English = Stamp
Spanish = Sello
French = Tampon
German = Pilgerstempel

Je voudrais s'il vous plaît un tampon. (Zhuh voo-DRAY see voo PLAY un tam -POHN).

Ich mochte ein Pilgerstempel bitte. (ich MERSH-tuh eye-n pilger-schtempel bitt-uh.)

In lodgings, the custom in France is to get your stamp when you pay up, which is often after dinner at the demi-pension gites. One pays upon arrival at the municipals, and sometimes on departure at the hotels. Churches will very often have stamps, generally self-serve, somewhere near the entry (you'll have to look around a bit). Some churches have special times and a special person with the stamp - and their schedule may not coincide with yours. If a church advertises an afternoon pilgrim reception, there will be a stamp available (along with a lecture in French and perhaps some snacks). Also, all French town halls (Mairies) have stamps (so I'm told), as well as restrooms.

Thank you! Everything I needed to know.
Miki

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
French churches will have stamps handy, although they will sometimes have to look for them. As well as mairies, tourism offices sometimes have good stamps, and historic sites along the way can give you some very dramatic ones.

Following the evening church service is an excellent time to obtain the stamp.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back