• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice on the Camino: Cost and Availability

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
This question is getting into the real minutiae I realize, but I'm curious so I thought I'd ask...

Am I correct that fresh squeezed orange juice is a thing on the Camino (Frances)? By that I mean it's available everywhere, and consumed at breakfast/lunch/anytime? Assuming yes, does anyone recall the average cost?

A silly question many of you may think, but where I live (western Canada), a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice is a real luxury, and can easily cost $6++ for a tiny glass.

It's one of my indulgences when I travel in countries where it's more affordable, and given that Spain is famous for at least one variety of orange I'm wondering if fresh squeezed juice is cheap there.

A cup of coffee and glass of fresh squeezed OJ would be a luxurious way to start each day on the Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not everywhere and always, but yes, Spain is traditionally big in orange production, so fresh OJ is not exactly a rare thing. But that does not always mean it is cheap, depending on how touristy your place is, but likely cheaper than in canada.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, you can find it in most places. It's more expensive than some other beverages, but not nearly as much as in the US. There was more than one day that I spent more on orange juice than on my bed though!
If you don't see one of those machines ask if they have zumo natural.

If you want it really cheap many of the larger grocery stores have a self serve machine and bottles that you can fill.

There was more than one day that I spent more on orange juice than on my bed though!
Been there done that, in places other than Spain!

Sounds like it may not be quite as cheap as I had hoped however. I was hoping it might be the same cost as a regular soft drink.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Been there done that, in places other than Spain!

Sounds like it may not be quite as cheap as I had hoped however. I was hoping it might be the same cost as a regular soft drink.
It often is, but regular soft drinks are often more expensive than coffee or wine!
I probably paid an average of 2 euros for a glass of fresh orange juice - a bigger glass than you get in the US for $6.

Another thing to look forward to on my future Camino! I absolutely love freshly squeezed OJ, it was my weekend treat during lockdown when the little shop/cafe round the corner could open. I brought my own 1L bottle (think they charged me for 4-5 drink portions), so definitely a luxury! (A few months later they started offering their own reusable glass bottles, copycat!)

When I was cycling around Italy, an espresso was €1 and with sugar it was my energy boost (espresso chosen for low volume+high energy boost). So if it’s similar in Spain too then all good!

It often is, but regular soft drinks are often more expensive than coffee or wine!
I probably paid an average of 2 euros for a glass of fresh orange juice - a bigger glass than you get in the US for $6.
OK 2 euros. That gives me a sense of the cost. Not Southeast Asia cheap, but less than half the cost of it in Canada, so not bad. Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Orange juice in Spain is wonderful, especially the further south you go.

Here’s a story I wrote about oranges (and orange juice) in the Mediterranean once for anyone interested. And for the record, fresh orange juice cost 30 US cents per glass in Morocco in 2007!

Travels in Orange Lands
Orange trees are ubiquitous in southern Spain and Portugal. But the story of how the fruit arrived in the lands of the Camino de Santiago – and why it’s called what it is in many languages – might surprise you.

Last edited:
Hi
I did the Francès in 2017, I think I paid almost the same amount as a soft drink can, 3 euros.. and I drank a lot of them.. so yes pretty available in bars.

And yes with conversion in Canadian dollars is an luxury item and they add up.: 2 by day x 35 days (55 days for me) x 3 euros x 1.5 ( for conversion). I think I drank a mortgage of orange Juice ! 😋

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Climbing to the top of Alto de Poio I saw to the right a heavenly vision: a host of pilgrims sitting on a large terrace relaxing and drinking what appeared to be buckets of orange juice.
I wanted that.
I went to the counter and asked for some and some food. The large glass of juice was surprisingly inexpensive, and when it came to my table I took my place among the Elect drinking big beer glasses full of juice, and marveling at how many of us there were, sitting with silly grins on our faces, the long hot climb a thing of the past. Magic.

All the best
Paul

Exactly my experience as well. I definitely had my share when I felt like it.
As a resident in Canada, longing for flavours of Spain, I did buy myself a hand-press (one of those giant cast iron ones), and I can buy a bag of juice oranges for about $6 (makes about 6 proper juice glasses, same size as in Spain) and I keep the oranges in the fridge so that the juice is nice and cold.
I do recommend it @JustJack. Your local grocer probably sells the oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Climbing to the top of Alto de Poio I saw to the right a heavenly vision: a host of pilgrims sitting on a large terrace relaxing and drinking what appeared to be buckets of orange juice.
I wanted that.
I went to the counter and asked for some and some food. The large glass of juice was surprisingly inexpensive, and when it came to my table I took my place among the Elect drinking big beer glasses full of juice, and marveling at how many of us there were, sitting with silly grins on our faces, the long hot climb a thing of the past. Magic.

All the best
Paul
A well earned refreshment!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first time up Alto de Perdón was a hot day in August, and there was a trailer at the top offering snacks and the most delicious orange juice that I have ever had, at least it was the most delicious to a hot and tired pilgrim.

I humbly suggest, perhaps, that one of the joys of travelling is to experience different, and often better, foods. Occasionally they become part of your normal life back at home.

In this case whole oranges are vastly superior to fruit juice.

Oh, the fresh orange juice! One of my favourite memories of the Camino! Expensive? Really? If someone from North America got a Starbucks coffee a few times a week it would cost more! As a non-coffee drinker, the orange juice was the biggest and best treat I looked forward to, and the biggest thing I missed after coming home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And it's not just bars and restaurants! You can also use a machine to freshly press your own bottle of OJ in some supermarkets. I know Mercadona shops have this in the fruit/veg section (I'm a regular!) and I'm sure I've seen them in other chains as well. More often found in the bigger shops so something to look for when you're in the larger cities.

I was fascinated by those machines as well. While early morning consumption doesn't work for my stomach, I did enjoy a glass occasionally later in the day.
As a retired microbiologist, I was most interested in this article from the US FDA. Just a thought of care for anyone who might be a bit more susceptible to bacterial upsets.
"What You Need to Know About Juice Safety | FDA" https://www.fda.gov/food/buy-store-serve-safe-food/what-you-need-know-about-juice-safety

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the Frances 3 months ago, fresh OJ averaged about 3-4€. There was a fruit stand after Hospital de Órbigo with a hand press. I loved it so much I bought my own hand press when I got home.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Fresh-squeezed orange juice is ubiquitous in Spain, even in bus and train station cafes, in my experience. Some hotel breakfast rooms have/had self-operated orange juicers which on the surface seems like a good idea. However, three years ago I stayed at a place in Portugal where they had that type of setup in the breakfast room. I was salivating as I walked to the buffet, eager to squeeze some fresh juice. To my dismay I saw another guest remove the part that had all the accumulated pulp, wipe it out with his finger, and then eat the pulp! Yech!! o_O And of course now with the pandemic it makes it even more gag-worthy. Since then my rule is to only have fresh o.j. that is squeezed by a staff member in front of me so I can see if they are observing proper hygiene. Here in Calgary it costs $6.00 for about 10 ounces at La Boulangerie, a pretty good value for our city. In Spain and Portugal I usually paid about $1 to $1.50CDN.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This question is getting into the real minutiae I realize, but I'm curious so I thought I'd ask...

Am I correct that fresh squeezed orange juice is a thing on the Camino (Frances)? By that I mean it's available everywhere, and consumed at breakfast/lunch/anytime? Assuming yes, does anyone recall the average cost?

A silly question many of you may think, but where I live (western Canada), a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice is a real luxury, and can easily cost $6++ for a tiny glass.

It's one of my indulgences when I travel in countries where it's more affordable, and given that Spain is famous for at least one variety of orange I'm wondering if fresh squeezed juice is cheap there.

A cup of coffee and glass of fresh squeezed OJ would be a luxurious way to start each day on the Camino!
Yes, it was certainly available of the French Way, AND IT WAS DELISCIUOS. But, I don't recall the price?

In 2015 near Mazarife a group- perhaps a local church- had set up a refreshment table for pilgrims. They had a sumo machine and pouring cups as fast as they could. When it was my turn to receive my juice, the fellow handing it to me smiled and said “This is the sunshine of Spain in a glass.”

Yes, the machines they use to make the juice is remarkable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Travels in Orange Lands
Orange trees are ubiquitous in southern Spain and Portugal. But the story of how the fruit arrived in the lands of the Camino de Santiago – and why it’s called what it is in many languages – might surprise you.
To add to something mentioned in the article, I saw this sign in a bar window in Lisbon this morning.

4D00FBA9-2316-4EF9-B9BA-7578466B0925.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Orange juice in Spain is wonderful, especially the further south you go.

Here’s a story I wrote about oranges (and orange juice) in the Mediterranean once for anyone interested. And for the record, fresh orange juice cost 30 US cents per glass in Morocco in 2007!

Travels in Orange Lands
What an interesting history of the orange! Thank you for sharing! 🍊

@JustJack Oh my favorite subject, Camino OJ freshly squeezed. Too many glasses to count. Yum. 😋 On my second Camino on the Frances I couldn’t wait to stop in Orrison for a glass and a cafe con letche and of course a bocadillo for the road. The large glass pictured was a steal. I don’t recall the price but OJ is cheap in Spain.
3EF68B71-C37A-441C-AF77-1114B4F7A675.jpeg
On my third Camino stopping during a days walk on the way to Sahagun for a refreshing glass of sunshine.
C14B468F-62E8-4132-8E75-ED29F40F7427.jpeg
Also on my third on del Norte a much needed break with an amazing orange.
111C7EFE-F7B0-4BC6-9D54-E5DA7D30D7F5.jpeg
Here’s a little story, true. After my second Camino I was in my hotel room in Madrid taking a nap. Before I feel asleep I had thoughts of failure, of disappointment regarding the Camino I just walked. I had a dream:
I’m a passenger in a car with a blonde lady driving. I see a bright, bright light ahead coming from the side of the road. I excitedly asked her to pull over. We walked into the light, so bright. I could see a silhouette, who was it? It was Jesus motioning to me with his arm, come, come. I ran faster than ever, saying, crying Jesus, Jesus! As I wrapped my arms around Him he disappeared like a vapor. I kept running beside the blonde lady, who said while smiling, “Come on let’s go get our treasure.” As we approached our treasure, mine was the most beautiful, perfect, excellent, delicious orange I had ever seen, held, tasted. True 🥰 🍊 It was such a powerful dream, just the mere thought of it had me in tears as I flew back home to the U.S. Now, over five years later it still gets to me. I think I’ll go eat/squeeze an orange. 😉

Last edited:
I live in Barcelona, a city that is known to be more expensive than most of Spain. Some cafés here do a breakfast special of a coffee plus a croissant or pastry for 2-3 euros. The addition of an orange juice can move it to around 4 euros. Camino cafés in larger towns and cities can have specials like these for the locals. I do not remember if cafés in villages catering mostly to pilgrims had these specials.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved, loved, loved the fresh squeezed orange juice along the Camino and if I saw one of those machines behind the bar, I always purchased one. The color of orange is sooo much brighter than fresh squeezed in my experiences in America on my travels. I typically think I paid approximately €1.20-1.60 in 2015-2019.
I took this photo where the bar owner had allowed me to take my OJ in its glass down the street to enjoy it in a pretty courtyard as he had no outdoor seating on a beatiful day.🙂
Screenshot_20220129-105757~2.png
Another time at a tienda in someone's home I enquired about fresh OJ. The lady went to the refrigerator, pulled out some oranges and hand squeezed them one at a time on a glass squeezer...a memory I do not forget.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.