• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Friend needs help

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
Hi
A person I've been walking with has a serious issue with his feet. He needs a clinic he thinks. He is taking a cab to Astoria in the morning. Does anyone know of a clinic there or around there?
Thanks for any advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi
A person I've been walking with has a serious issue with his feet. He needs a clinic he thinks. He is taking a cab to Astoria in the morning. Does anyone know of a clinic there or around there?
Thanks for any advice.

Wherever you are staying tonight ask your host/hospitalero for help in finding medical assistance. Ask in a nearby pharmacy also. Help may be closer than Astorga.

Good luck to both of you!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Peg got help at the Centro de Salud in Astorga. We arranged a wheelchair loan for a few days with the Red Cross. We gave them a donation. Beforehand I typed up what Peg's issue was and used Google to translate it and saved it as text and then fixed up the spots where my Spanish was better than Google's. It came in handy at the desk, with the nurse and then with the doctor as little English was spoken. There is a tourist office not far from the cathedral and they were helpful with everything through a 3 or 4 day stay in town recovering. Try to pay the bill before leaving town, it will be much easier than doing it from home (they likely still don't accept credit cards.)

• One of the hostels in astorga, I believe the municipal, have volunteer medical student overseen by a MD, who provide service within the albergue. It is the one near a cathedral. Wishing your friend the best!

I used the Centro de Salud in Astorga when I developed patellar tendonitis (thank goodness it flared after my partial Camino was done) and had wonderful care. English speaking doctor and check in administrators and nurses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As Rick suggested, do attempt to pay your bill there. For me, there was no place to pay cash, but my Spanish is limited, so I knew they would be sending me a bill. It arrived a month after I had returned home to Canada, but with translation of paperwork, not sufficient bank info on their part (to satisfy my local bank) and much faxing and emailing back and forth, the process took a month and a half to get settled. I chose this option rather than fill out 26 pages of an insurance form from my travel ins company, as I knew I could write it off on my tax return.

I guess it all depends on the amount you are being asked to pay but I have found in France and Spain it is so much easier to pay cash for the bill and deal with it later. The medical expenses in those countries are minuscule compared to the costs in north America. So why leave the service provider with the feeling that you were just passing through requiring medical care and then "good luck" if they ever get paid.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back