• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Friends of Bill W walking the Camino Frances April, May?

happymarkos

HappyMark
Time of past OR future Camino
2023. Finish the VDLP. Zamora to Santiago.
Hi
I am planning to start from St Jean on the 25 April walking on my own and would love to catch up with Friends of Bill W along the way who are also "trudging the road of happy destiny".
There do not appear to be any English speaking meetings on the Spanish AA website; Spanish ones would do if I can find the towns, days of the week and times to hopefully catch a meeting
Mark O

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
theres a similar post under the general forum

not sure if this is a need to meet or a nice to meet post but if you feel the need to meet up along the way maybe join the loners group and see if anyone is in the vicinity...

if not the Camino can easily be done without drinking, tons of people don't and th conversations are often spiritual in nature so I think you won't be lacking :)

Starting on 26th April so bound to bump into you - doing it by myself, the short, fat Englishman Terry :) Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Terry
thank you for the post.
I plan to have the AA triangle on my pack so if you see it look forward to catching up.
I am a older Aussie about 5'7" and expect to celebrate my 32nd sober birthday in June so may still be on the walk
regards
Mark

Hi William,
thank you for the post
I did look for an earlier topic but did not have much luck finding it.
Hope to learn to navigate the site with practice
regards
Mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pieces,
thank you for your kind thoughts in response to my post.
Having been a sober person with the help of AA for many years I heed the advice of keeping in contact with other members and trying to attend meetings on a regular basis; hence my post.
I have no particularly worries however know it is a daily reprieve which I guard carefully.
best wishes
Mark

We will be in Saint Jean Pied de Port on the 27th and will leave Ronscevalles on that Monday. I have no idea who Bill W is but if you run into three people from Virginia, be sure to say hello.

Cant seem to stay away.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Mark and Terry: My partner, Will, just celebrated his 13th year of sobriety. We will be walking from SJPP mid-April. We do not have our plane tickets booked yet, so I don't have an exact arrival date yet. He will have his triangle medallion affixed to his backpack. Hope to see you along the Way! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If we all wear the Triangle symbol on our packs etc it will make it much easier to find each other.
From what I can see there are no scheduled meetings in English along the way.
I will be traveling slowly so a number of people starting after me will no doubt catch up.
happy to see you as I "trudge the road of happy destiny"! (trudge means to step out purposefully)
Happy Mark

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Terry
thank you for the post.
I plan to have the AA triangle on my pack so if you see it look forward to catching up.
I am a older Aussie about 5'7" and expect to celebrate my 32nd sober birthday in June so may still be on the walk
regards
Mark
What a great idea to put the symbol on your backpack. I’m doing the last 100kms in March and will do the same thing😀thanks. Allison

I too am walking the Camino Frances for the first time. I will be arriving Sept. 2020. I love your idea of the triangle patch on our backpack and hope that "friends of Bill W." will see it along the way. FYI for future meeting seekers, the local bar keep and the police stations usually can guide you to the nearest AA meeting. If I can't find a meeting , I can pray. Gods answers Knee mail! 🙏 Buen Camino! JoAnna

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked quite a few Caminos in the past 10 years and invariably meet other pilgrims who are also ex-drinkers. It's as if we smell each other out.
In Europe there are a range of different associations of mutual help groups for those in difficulty with alcohol often based around the whole family. Many pre-date AA in their origins. All are effective. In France the largest are Vie Libre ( A Free Life) and Alcohol Assistance. Meetings are, of course, in French. In Spain, groups can be found by searching for "alcoholicos rehabilitados" on Google - adding the region to narrow it down.
For me, though, AA and the Camino have much in common even beyond offering the possibility of a life-defining spiritual journey. Nobody speaks for you and, in itself, there is no cost for participation. It is the loosest structure I can imagine for social organisation - no money, no leaders, with full personal, individual freedom and authority. Yet they both touch people's lives and the overall health of society significantly everywhere on the Earth. They are both models for how we might all live together in Peace.
I am sure, Happy Mark, your Camino will be full of remarkable encounters and you will hear other people's stories and tell your own without judgement and with complete acceptance, filled with that Love which we know heals all things.
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
Hola!! In need of some ideas. I'm needing to fill in some time and was wondering, what city/town/village/small village would you spend an extra day/night in and why? Or, someplace special to stay...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back