• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Friends of Bill W.

Storyteller Matt

Storyteller Matt
Time of past OR future Camino
I am in recovery and have been sober for 24 years. I'm not too concerned about the urge to take a drink while on the Camino, but I was wondering if there were any people here experienced with the Camino who were also in the Program. Are there meeting options at albergues or in villages?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Likewise, 2 Caminos and I believe everyone would grow their spiritual recovery exponentially by walking some type of Camino. I was fortunate to meet a long timer the second day of my first Camino and it was an extra special connection and dual fellowship. I openly share my experience, strength and hope on my Camino especially with younger pilgrims.

Likewise, 2 Caminos and I believe everyone would grow their spiritual recovery exponentially by walking some type of Camino. I was fortunate to meet a long timer the second day of my first Camino and it was an extra special connection and dual fellowship. I openly share my experience, strength and hope on my Camino especially with younger pilgrims.
That bit about "growing our spiritual recovery exponentially" rings true for me. I've not been to any meetings on my Caminos but I've met very genuine listening, very little judging, unlimited love and deep wisdom from young and old alike. I'm on the Camino Frances just now and every day's brings growth.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That bit about "growing our spiritual recovery exponentially" rings true for me. I've not been to any meetings on my Caminos but I've met very genuine listening, very little judging, unlimited love and deep wisdom from young and old alike. I'm on the Camino Frances just now and every day's brings growth.

Buen camino , I walked El Norte completely alone in March this year and my feet are itching already. Not sure I can wait until November to lace up again.

I am in recovery and have been sober for 24 years. I'm not too concerned about the urge to take a drink while on the Camino, but I was wondering if there were any people here experienced with the Camino who were also in the Program. Are there meeting options at albergues or in villages?
Hi Matt
I recently walked half of the VDLP and in Salamanca attended a Spanish speaking meeting and was given a list of meetings for the Castilla Y Leon area. There are 3 in Burgos, 2 in Leon, Zamora and other places. If you are looking for English speaking ones they are not so easy to find. There is the AA Loners list that shows English speaking meetings in Santiago and contact details; http://www.aaspain.org/meetings/loners_list.html
The Camino offers a great way to meditate as you walk. I have maintained the daily prayers and meditation routine for 37 years and on 5 Caminos haven't had a problem.
Buen Camino
happymark

No advice on English language meetings; between the French, Portuguese, and Primitivo I found a total of one—in Porto—and no one else showed up that day. But I did discover, thanks to a friend on the French Camino, a way to connect with other pilgrims in the program. The circle and triangle patch on my backpack has been recognized by AA, AlAnon, and NA members and has lead to some great “meetings” while walking. Buen Camino.

Attachments

• 8E90FA36-730D-48CE-96D3-2A786B065DB7.jpeg
    8E90FA36-730D-48CE-96D3-2A786B065DB7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am 39 years in recovery and have walked 3 Caminos. I’ve not sought out a meeting while walking instead focusing on the peace & serenity the path brings and quiet reverence of Cathedrals (I’m not religious, but deeply spiritual). And the nice part is I never felt any drinking pressure from others. In fact, my Camino friends lived having me at their Albergue table - more wine from them. I suspect there’s an international directory out there? I’ve not looked.

Wow. I've been experiencing many hesitations about doing the Camino -- my advanced age, my finances, my feet, etc. But reading this thread about meetings, recovery, etc., makes me feel far more positive about going. I'm in Al Anon and often feel the need for a meeting is imperative. Just nice to see this thread!

You'll find a few people there to party but they usually already have their buddies with them. The rest you will find to be very inclusive, welcoming people and after taking your first few steps you'll be just another pilgrim. There are all different kinds of people from all over the world united for a common purpose. I think we were all nervous for lots of different reasons before setting out but I have heard very few regrets. The hardest part is getting comfortable with less planning and less stuff in your pack. Walk at your pace and enjoy - there is no wrong way to walk the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I found the spanish web and for english speakers there's an option (clicking the British flag) for get some info

Hope is useful

Buen Camino!
K.

Yes but English meetings are mostly in large cities like Madrid, Barcelona and a new meeting in Santiago. I attended some Spanish meetings as I speak Spanish however coordinating your pilgrim stages with the odd meeting is not easy. I have sought out and attended many meetings in Europe through my work and travels. AlAnon is not common but you know you will be welcomed at any AA meeting. My 18year+ recovery has grown exponentially with every Camino. Buen Camino !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, Matt. There are a number of us out doing the Caminos, and it's remarkable how quickly the common ground is found with those other hikers - like radar:0)). I'm guessing that you checked the international directory for the meetings in whatever language you need them in - larger cities like Leon have them in English. And if you run into others, you can always suggest doing your own meetings.

Ooops, edit - Matt's Camino was probably done 3 or 4 months ago. Maybe this will help others anyway.

I haven't found being among drinkers problematic over 4 Caminos, but I don't ever sit around in the evenings among others who are drinking beyond that which is a part of the communal evening meal, and always find that there are plenty of chores to be done to stay busy in the evenings, even in the smaller villages. It seems that on the less traveled routes I've been on (Portuguese, Le Puy, Norte, Primitivo), the avid drinking found on the Frances is much less, and I like the solitude and being among more "serious hikers" anyway, so that works out well for me. My guess is that making occasional bonds with other non-drinkers and staying busy seeing sights in towns and doing chores in the evenings will help. You will be in good company.

Last edited:
Yes but English meetings are mostly in large cities like Madrid, Barcelona and a new meeting in Santiago. I attended some Spanish meetings as I speak Spanish however coordinating your pilgrim stages with the odd meeting is not easy. I have sought out and attended many meetings in Europe through my work and travels. AlAnon is not common but you know you will be welcomed at any AA meeting. My 18year+ recovery has grown exponentially with every Camino. Buen Camino !
Hi Colette and others
I also have the Joe and Charlie tapes on my iPhone as well as lots of other fellowship literature including Daily Reflections. I listen to J&C at night before sleeping and in the morning read the DF and also the 24 Hour Book also on my phone. Almost everyone who asks why I don't drink reply with the statement that they have now or have had problem drinkers in their lives and it is an opportunity to talk about the Fellowship.
Buen Camino

That’s great. I to am open about my recovery on the Camino so have no hesitation to say why I don’t drink, amazingly I always meet with some fairly good recovery discussion. At my 18th year celebration last year I shared that for me the Camino takes the 12 steps to an entirely new level. I’m grateful to the Camino for a new level of spiritual recovery. Plus it helps to,walk less touristy Caminos (Norte, VDLP, Primitivo).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back