• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Friends of Planar Fascitis and Heel Spur

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leave it to you, Alan, to find the bright side. Are you putting people with these two ailments into the same group because they have the same symptoms and/or because they have the same treatment? I'm asking only because my doctor never mentioned stretching as being part of the recovery regime for the heel spur, all I had to do was stop walking on it for a few months to let it dissolve. I've never had plantar fasciitis, but people have told me stretching is essential for that, in fact my husband had it and found a little gizmo that helped a lot:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...5-eb79-de88-b3a3-000000fc51fe&kpid=sku5814527

Hoping your heel pain goes away pronto! Laurie

Laurie, my understanding is that PF is one of the major causes of heel Spurs. They form when the plantar tendon separates from the heel bone.

Al, I'm laughing but sending {{stretching vibes}} to you! I suffered for years and only got past PF when I lost my weight. In addition to stretching and resting your foot, I think shoes with good cushion really help! Liz

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, my understanding is that PF is one of the major causes of heel Spurs. They form when the plantar tendon separates from the heel bone. Liz

Well, that's very interesting -- I didn't know plantar fasciitis and heel spurs were closely connected. Thanks for that info, Liz. In my case, the doctor said he thought the cause was thinning of the fat pad on my heel, caused by 6 or 7 caminos with those hard plastic inserts. I haven't been able to get any of my other "fat pads" to thin, however. :)

So, Al, back to stretching!!! Laurie

Praying that it all improves very soon Al and you are able to make it onto the camino without problems. Vaya con Dios :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
Leave it to you, Alan, to find the bright side. Are you putting people with these two ailments into the same group because they have the same symptoms and/or because they have the same treatment? I'm asking only because my doctor never mentioned stretching as being part of the recovery regime for the heel spur, all I had to do was stop walking on it for a few months to let it dissolve. I've never had plantar fasciitis, but people have told me stretching is essential for that, in fact my husband had it and found a little gizmo that helped a lot:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...5-eb79-de88-b3a3-000000fc51fe&kpid=sku5814527

Hoping your heel pain goes away pronto! Laurie
Laurie, I am very curious about how to dissolve bone spurs. Was it rest alone or were there other things you did to dissolve the spur?

Laurie, I am very curious about how to dissolve bone spurs. Was it rest alone or were there other things you did to dissolve the spur?

Well, I hesitate to say anything here since I was obviously way off base when I thought that plantar fasciitis and bone spurs were unrelated. I stayed off my foot as much as I could for a couple of months. Unfortunately I was in Portugal and unable to get a walking cast, but I was careful, and after a cortisone shot and several months of reduced activity, the pain was gone. I actually don't know if the bone spur went away, because I've never had another xray on that heel but since I've been using my silicone orthotics I've never had another incident of heel pain. Many (more than 20, way before my camino days began) years ago I had a diagnosis of plantar fasciitis and I was able to get that under control without too much difficulty. It may be that I still have some lingering effects of that, because it was the same foot. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've had Plantar Fasciitis FOREVER...as long as I can remember... 10-20 years?? OMG it's horrible, I've tried stretches, custom made orthotics, ice, heat, special shoes, inserts, anti-inflammatories, foot soaks, massage, tennis balls, C-clamps to my feet even, taped frozen bagged rice to my feet at night. You name it, I've tried it! I am a nurse working 12 hours shifts on hard floors. Every intervention, helped A LittLe Bit, for A LittLe While. NOTHING has resolved the pain completely. But now for the AH-HA Moment... I have taken to wearing FOOT SPLINTS at night - ALL NIGHT that keep my feet at AT LEAST a 90 degree angle.. This has not cured my problem but I am here to testify my friends, I have shed tears some mornings with the realization that YES I CAN wake up and walk across the room without excruciating pain. Some mornings NO PAIN at ALL. I am determined to walk the Camino Francis in Sept/Oct 2015.. and I Will above ALL be packing my foot braces. I will be the lady in the alburque's with foot braces on at night!!! I'm so Happy. Buen Camino, Melanie

So, went to the podiatrist today to find out about my ultra sound results. Xray showed heel spur. No tear of the plantar fascia (yet!) on the heel spur but the poor thing is twice as thick as it should be. And the injury dates back to September. Or does it. Podiatrist thinks the injury happened before and "my walk" made it worse. (Have read that the heel spur starts when the ligament rips from the heel, but since I have no tearing then? As to how to disolve the spur: good old, and painful surgery, but I would also think lazer could do it).

But ... because of that pain I apparently misused other bits of me: the peroneous longus.

So I am now getting a second, and softer king of orthotic, alternating between this new one and the traditional one every few hours. The new one is a Vasilyi Hallux Limitux Danaberg orthotic. No Rx required, but adjustements could be. I will let you Google and readh the science behing it. Have not seen them, have not tried them. Just letting you know where I am at. Follow up appointment in 4 weeks, unless I get pain before.

Oh, and I am to freeze a small bottle of water and roll it under my foot when ever I get a chance, wear my Birkies at home and not a shoe with no support. As for day time, I may have to quit my job to wear my hicking runners all they day long ;0)Stetches were not mentioned by podiatrist but a colleague of mine who runs marathons swears but rubbing foot on ball.

May you find a way to get out there and enjoy yourself, without hurting yourself any further.

So, went to the podiatrist today to find out about my ultra sound results. Xray showed heel spur. No tear of the plantar fascia (yet!) on the heel spur but the poor thing is twice as thick as it should be. And the injury dates back to September. Or does it. Podiatrist thinks the injury happened before and "my walk" made it worse. (Have read that the heel spur starts when the ligament rips from the heel, but since I have no tearing then? As to how to disolve the spur: good old, and painful surgery, but I would also think lazer could do it).

But ... because of that pain I apparently misused other bits of me: the peroneous longus.

So I am now getting a second, and softer king of orthotic, alternating between this new one and the traditional one every few hours. The new one is a Vasilyi Hallux Limitux Danaberg orthotic. No Rx required, but adjustements could be. I will let you Google and readh the science behing it. Have not seen them, have not tried them. Just letting you know where I am at. Follow up appointment in 4 weeks, unless I get pain before.

Oh, and I am to freeze a small bottle of water and roll it under my foot when ever I get a chance, wear my Birkies at home and not a shoe with no support. As for day time, I may have to quit my job to wear my hicking runners all they day long ;0)Stetches were not mentioned by podiatrist but a colleague of mine who runs marathons swears but rubbing foot on ball.

May you find a way to get out there and enjoy yourself, without hurting yourself any further.
Anemone -- interested to hear your update. Hope some of the things you are doing help! Liz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am lucky enough not to be a sufferer from either (sciatica, weak knees, plus a stroke a few years ago is enough, thanks :rolleyes:).
But my son, who walks and cycles a whole lot, came down with plantar whosiwotsits last year, and he swears by his Nike air something shoes.
In looking for them online I found this site - http://soulliner.tumblr.com/plantar-fasciitis-shoes - which some of you may find useful.
It's quite comprehensive and contains links to other sites as well.

http://www.okabashi.com/Foot-Care/b/2564764011?ie=UTF8&title=Foot+Care may be of interest to Americans (and others too).

There are also a number of youtube sites. I've been looking for the ones I found for my son - I think it was 'foot doctor' - but can't find them right now ...

I've had Plantar Fasciitis FOREVER...as long as I can remember... 10-20 years?? OMG it's horrible, I've tried stretches, custom made orthotics, ice, heat, special shoes, inserts, anti-inflammatories, foot soaks, massage, tennis balls, C-clamps to my feet even, taped frozen bagged rice to my feet at night. You name it, I've tried it! I am a nurse working 12 hours shifts on hard floors. Every intervention, helped A LittLe Bit, for A LittLe While. NOTHING has resolved the pain completely. But now for the AH-HA Moment... I have taken to wearing FOOT SPLINTS at night - ALL NIGHT that keep my feet at AT LEAST a 90 degree angle.. This has not cured my problem but I am here to testify my friends, I have shed tears some mornings with the realization that YES I CAN wake up and walk across the room without excruciating pain. Some mornings NO PAIN at ALL. I am determined to walk the Camino Francis in Sept/Oct 2015.. and I Will above ALL be packing my foot braces. I will be the lady in the alburque's with foot braces on at night!!! I'm so Happy. Buen Camino, Melanie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got plantar fasciitis halfway through the CF from SJPP. It was so painful! I did continue walking for awhile and did exercises and stretches without much relief, but finally had to resort to the bus or taxi. When I returned home I got CADENCE insole orthodics and a FUTURO Night Foot sleep support. Wore the "boot" every night for 2 months, as well as the insoles, and plantar fasciitis is gone! Next camino the boot goes in the backpack cuz it was lifesaver.

I developed Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot about ten months ago, 2 months after I started training for the Camino Frances I'm on now. My problem was and is an ankle which is not properly held together by weak ligaments. I was training in a pair of hiking trainers which didn't support my ankles. I went to a sports podiatrist who made a pair of custom formed orthotic inner soles one of which is a sideways wedge under my left foot. The difference between the structures of my two ankles was obvious and extreme - I've seen the video and it's fascinating. I had to stop distance walking/training for a few weeks, then started: a very specific stretching exercise, ice compresses at night, Voltaren non-steroidal anti inflammatory cream applied as often as 3 times a day. The orthotics are very hard, they're made of carbon fibre, I assume so that they will hold their shape.

By the time I left Saint Jean Pied De Port 2.5 weeks ago, my PF was about 90% under control. I wear boots that fit perfectly and support my ankle. These boots are the most comfortable footwear I own.

My PF has faded to relative insignificance over the last 2.5 weeks I've been walking the Camino. BOTH my feet get VERY sore by the end of each day's walk. There's none of the stabbing extreme pain of PF. Each morning my feet are OK after about 30 minutes of walking. I still use the Voltaren twice a day but have not graduated to any stronger pain killers as I don't like taking oral medication and in any case the pain hasn't been bad enough for me.

I haven't had a single blister because my boots fit so well. I wear one pair of Wigwam socks - yes synthetics, because they dry quickly when washed. My boots have got wet through only once so far.

I have no bone spurs. I saw a very good physiotherapist for a couple of months before I left. I've known her for 10 years, she's extremely good - treats professional football players, and I wanted a second opinion about the orthotics.

Here's the punchline: Every body is different, get expert help, do what you're told, make sure you get the details right.

I misunderstood the instructions from the podiatrist about the stretches. I reviewed everything with the physiotherapist and she clarified the stretching instructions, was more detailed re the ice pack timing.

My posts are usually rather long, my apologies. This is a serious matter which requires serious consideration. I travelled all the way from Australia to walk this Camino. I'm 71 yrs old. I may never be back. I wanted to do absolutely everything I could to insure that I didn't waste this opportunity, not to mention many thousands of dollars.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Just go see your podiatrist 2-3 months before leaving home. I went back to mind last month (leaving on May 8) and she had me jse new orthotics In my new shoes for a month and come back. Plantar fasciitis foot on left foot is great but... rigjt foot is not happy. Saw her yesterday, told her how odd The right foot pain is, thinking I was over thinking things. I am now off to an X-ray and ultrasound for something else on the Right foot which May have put a great dent on my Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back