• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frogg Toggs!

C

Camino Chris

I know the topic of raingear has been discussed 100's of times here...ponchos vs rain coats, and everyone seems to have a personal preference, from expensive brand names like Altus, to the cheapest plastic poncho on the market.

I love Frogg Toggs Ultra lite rain gear!
I'm mentioning them because I have read very little about them on the forum and I would like to "sing their praises" as another option for future pilgrims to consider.

My first introduction was when my son hiked 1000 miles of the Appalachian trail in the spring a few years ago in LOTS of rain and was kept dry in the jacket/rain pants. He also owns their poncho and alternates between using the two styles.

I then purchased my own 2pc set and used them for my two Caminos (Frances and Del Norte/Primitivo) the last two years. I have been extremely satisfied and will be taking them once again this spring and here is why...
1) They are amazingly lightweight
2) They do a great job of being breathable, yet keep you very dry in heavier rains
3) They are very affordable at $20 US from Amazon and a few of the larger retail sporting good stores. So for pilgrims who may be on a tighter budget, Frogg Toggs do the job. Check them out!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I agree with you about the usefulness and the value of Frogg Toggs. As a lifelong saltwater fisherman and now a full time fishing guide, I know their value first hand.
As a September-October-November pilgrim, I'll opt for a heavier waterproof jacket. Being from Florida, I am not cold tolerant. :)

For general Camino/Hiking use, again, I agree they are a great choice.

I agree with you about the usefulness and the value of Frogg Toggs. As a lifelong saltwater fisherman and now a full time fishing guide, I know their value first hand.
As a September-October-November pilgrim, I'll opt for a heavier waterproof jacket. Being from Florida, I am not cold tolerant. :)

For general Camino/Hiking use, again, I agree they are a great choice.
I realize they may not be as appropriate for very cold weather by themselves. I am a woman 5'4", 130 lbs. but did not like the female options available for Frogg Toggs. (I'd ordered an attractive looking style for women, but returned it cuz too bulky and not lightweight.) I then ordered the men's small and it is roomy enough to use any or all of my Camino layers underneath if needed, so it has still kept me warm enough...and dry of course!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Camino requires no need for expensive, rugged gear and those Frogg Toggs would work just fine. I have a friend of mine that swears by them.
Another great thing is that if by some chance you walk a totally dry Camino (I have done so twice....yup, over 30 days each time, zero rain from SJPdP to SDC) you can ditch the Frogg Toggs and leave them on a trusty donativo table. Heck, they only twenty bucks.
I have actually found it mildly therapeutic to leave stuff for others on the donativo. ha ha

The Camino requires no need for expensive, rugged gear and those Frogg Toggs would work just fine. I have a friend of mine that swears by them.
Another great thing is that if by some chance you walk a totally dry Camino (I have done so twice....yup, over 30 days each time, zero rain from SJPdP to SDC) you can ditch the Frogg Toggs and leave them on a trusty donativo table. Heck, they only twenty bucks.
I have actually found it mildly therapeutic to leave stuff for others on the donativo. ha ha
Hi Mark, I've read many of your detailed comments over the past few months and I really appreciate all the solid advise you share with others.

Very generous of you to leave unused items behind for others and I have, too. However, since my Frogg Toggs are so lightweight, I'll probably just keep them in my pack, cuz I know I'll be daydreaming of a 4th Camino within a few months of returning home!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mark, I've read many of your detailed comments over the past few months and I really appreciate all the solid advise you share with others.

Very generous of you to leave unused items behind for others and I have, too. However, since my Frogg Toggs are so lightweight, I'll probably just keep them in my pack, cuz I know I'll be daydreaming of a 4th Camino within a few months of returning home!
Don't get me wrong, I don't advocate donating everything. It's just at the end of the Camino, or the last week or so I just get in a jettisoning mood, ha ha. A couple of things I wished I hadn't. I thought later on, "why the hell did I donate that? I need it". :D

Thanks, all. I'll try on a pair of Froggs Toggs this week, and see how they feel. From the sound of it, it seems like a great idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks again. I posted this question in another thread: Do I even need the Frogg Toggs pants that comes in the set? So what if I'm wearing shorts and my legs get wet. Is that a mistaken assumption?

Thanks again. I posted this question in another thread: Do I even need the Frogg Toggs pants that comes in the set? So what if I'm wearing shorts and my legs get wet. Is that a mistaken assumption?
Hi Mike, If the weather is not super cold, and if you are comfortable with wet legs, no problem. My son walked in lots of cold rain on a 1000 mile stretch of the AT. He never wore the pants that came with the Frogg Togg jacket and had no regrets. He hiked in shorts the whole way.

Hi Mike, If the weather is not super cold, and if you are comfortable with wet legs, no problem. My son walked in lots of cold rain on a 1000 mile stretch of the AT. He never wore the pants that came with the Frogg Togg jacket and had no regrets. He hiked in shorts the whole way.
Thank you, Chris. My walk is for 2 weeks from May 23th 2017 from SJPP. If I were doing a longer Camino, and it was colder, and into Galicia, I might bring rain pants. Thanks for your comment. It helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I need them. The water runs down my legs, then my socks wick it inside my footware. I hate wet feet.
If I was caminoing in the dryer months I would reconsider.
Regards
Gerard

I'd love to try them but when I searched to buy here they were about $70 per top and bottom!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'd love to try them but when I searched to buy here they were about $70 per top and bottom!
Wow, sounds like you Aussies have it rough when it comes to purchasing gear. Probably you have some good options and prices in your own country. Sorry about the hype on gear ideas that may not be available to you.

I remember a couple of years ago seeing Frog Toggs in Big W. Not sure if they still sell them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! As you know I'm in love with my Aarn. Well, except for what it looks like but looks are not my strong point either.
I like to be able to put my rain gear on and off without stoping to take off my backpack, so the Frogg Toggs would not be my first choice, but I'm going with a couple of other people who may need gear, hence the question. Just wondering.

Thanks, all. I'll try on a pair of Froggs Toggs this week, and see how they feel. From the sound of it, it seems like a great idea.
UPDATE TO MY OWN POST... I walked in the pouring rain in shorts and just a poncho and my socks and shoes got wet (inside the shoes). So I bought the Frog Toggs. They seem really good. Waiting for the next big downpour here in Richmond, VA.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back