Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Using iphone or iPad? Add forum icon to your home screen. Here is how to do it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Over 10 years of Camino Q&As in one place. Sign Up and plan your camino with us. It's free!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

LIVE from the Camino From 22 Apr 17!

Discussion in 'Camino del Sureste' started by MikeJS, Mar 12, 2017.

1. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Francis (2011), Norte (2012), VdlP (Apr 2016). Next - Sureste or Levante?
    Plans are now coming together and I expect to fly to Alicante on 17 Apr. I am booked to brush up on my Spanish (hope to be able to do more than just the essentials - wine, food, bed! - after the course) from 18 to 21 and start the walk on 22. First planned stop in Montforte del Cid which should be a comfortable first days walk of between 25 and 29km depending which source you believe!

Owing to the lack of a single up to date guide I will be using a GPS track when necessary and also plan to collect the latest guide from the Asociación amigos del camino de Santiago de Alicante when I am in Alicante. I have also gathered together a lot of general info in a spreadsheet that you should be able to see here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ve9sh6ajmp2oz6v/AACSHaGef1ri7ZV1Vai0QoRCa?dl=0

I plan to update this thread during the walk as often as possible.

2. Mike Savage

Mike Savage mike-savage.com

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francés
    Camino Inglés
    Muxia/Finisterre
    Português da Costa
    Português Central 2017
    Camino Sanabrés 2017
    Camino Inglés 2017
    That sounds wonderful Mike.

Buen Camino!

3. Davey Boyd

Davey Boyd Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    2015 Geneva - Santiago via the San Salvador and Primitivo
    2015 SJPdP - Santiago and Finisterra
    2016 Camino Frances - Finisterra - Muxia via San Salvador/Primitivo then back to SJPdP (in winter)
    2017 VDLP April 5th
    Buen Camino!

4. Stephen Nicholls

Stephen Nicholls Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Porto to SdC [2011]
    Salamanca to SdC [2012]
    Lisbon to Porto [2013]
    Camino Ingles [2014]
    Ruta del Ebro [2015]
    Sureste [2016 aborted.]
    Finisterre [2016]
    [My final Camino.]
    Greetings, young Mike!
    I tried that camino a couple of years ago, and had to abandon it, due to severe blistering of the feet, plus forecast of a foot of snow in the hills! But that was in February, and April should be much better. I was in Alicante only a week ago, and found this sign .... if you follow it, I think you'll end up in heaven :).
    Buen camino, amigo!
    P1060491.JPG

5. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Thanks for the good wishes. I always start with a little trepidation especially when I walk by myself. That said I do like the solitary hikes which is one of the reasons I chose this route. Did the VdlP last year that turned out to be a bit busier than expected.

KinkyOne and Stephen Nicholls like this.
  6. alexwalker

alexwalker Forever Pilgrim Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (2009): Camino Frances
    (2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
    (2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
    (2014): SJpdP-Astorga
    (2015): Astorga-SdC
    (2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
    (2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
    (2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
    @MikeJS :I just bought this one:

http://www.csj.org.uk/product/pilgrim-guide-camino-del-sureste/

2017 edition, for £ 7.00. Arrived in my mailbox in Norway after 5 days... Very light and handy. I combined it with a few Google Earth searces to get a grasp. Nice.

The Assoc. in Alicante also has a 5 Euro albergue offer, on the Camino on way out of Alicante. Check out:

http://www.encaminodesdealicante.org/ (Only in Spanish: Rightclick to translate if you use Chrome).

Location of the Assoc. in Alicante:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...67be9360fac!8m2!3d38.343776!4d-0.493274?hl=es

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    KinkyOne likes this.
  7. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Alex - Thanks for that.

I tried a CSJ guide before for a previous Camino and did not like it at all. Far, far too wordy and very few maps. Does their Sureste guide have a good maps?

I’m content with gps track and my friend google maps! I’m staying in a shared flat in Alicante before my camino as part of the spanish course and I have contacted the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante and plan to visit them before I leave as they say they have a ’new’ guide.

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  8. alexwalker

alexwalker Forever Pilgrim Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    (2009): Camino Frances
    (2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
    (2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
    (2014): SJpdP-Astorga
    (2015): Astorga-SdC
    (2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
    (2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
    (2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
    No maps in that guide, @MikeJS But it looked very helpful and informative, not least with phone numbers to all places. I studied the Sureste on Google Earth, and it looks easy, with few places you should miss. I suppose you will attend an Enforex spanish course? I was there one month in April 2016 for learning basic Spanish: Very helpful! Feel much more confident in going alone on rural grounds. Stayed in a local's apartment in Alicante centre.

PS: Maybe there is some stuff on WikiLoc?

Albergues etc. on Sureste:

http://www.encaminodesdealicante.or...ues/albergues-del-camino-del-sureste-2014.pdf

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Alex - Most (if not all ) of that Albergue info is on my spreadsheet linked in the first post.

10. Bad Pilgrim

Bad Pilgrim Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
    Oh, it should be wonderful in April. Please tell us all about it! I'd like to know what you think about their guidebook as well, as you go along!

/BP

11. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Now in Alicante having had a very smooth and trouble free trip out. Found my accommodation easily and the start of the Camino! Here for 4 days to brush up my Spanish. Disconcerting that the simple trip here will now take more than 5 weeks to travel back home!

Bad Pilgrim and peregrina2000 like this.
  12. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    09 CFrancés, CFisterra 10 VPodiensis 11 CNorte 12 VPlata 13 VPlata, CSanabrés 14 CLevante, CSanabrés 15 CSureste, CInvierno, CMuxia 16 CMadrid, CSalvador, CPrimitivo (17 RLana, CInterior)
    Wow, I will be your most devouted follower! I am so jealous! And you will have time to scope your way out of the city so you won't get terribly lost, like I did... I know you aim to get further the first stage but, once again, the Casa del peregrino in Orito is good standard, just saying... I will follow in your footsteps but... Two months to go... Take care!/BP

13. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Forgot to say that I liked the guide very much. My version was from 2010 but there was no problem. Maps are very basic though. As for the accommodation along the way there is a list as of 2014 in the ressources section on this forum. Now if they have printed a new guide since 2015, even better. Mine was in Spanish though. I would like to hear if there is a new version and what you think of it!

14. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    BP I checked the way out yesterday as I had nothing else to do! Saw a few Camino signs and the way was fairly straight. I hope to pick up a guide when they open on Thursday evening! I think it is still only in Spanish- good job I'm doing this course. As for accommodation, I have a pretty god list ( I think ) on my spreadsheet that is linked at the start of this thread. Also air B&B helps!

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  15. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Went to find the Amigos de Santiago en Alicante so I knew where they were when they opened on Thursday to find them open! Typical! However, at least I could get the guide (5euro) which looks very comprehensive with good maps. Just need to massively improve my Spanish to read it all! After 4.5 hrs of lessons today I think my head will explode!

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  16. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Good. The maps are super basic in my version but they give you a sense of direction. But the "rutómetro" is very detailed, meter by meter. There are a lot of info about the historic route and what to see in each town, stories connected to the Camino and so on... It will be a great opportunity to practice your Spanish!

17. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I leave Alicante in the morning to start my walk. It's been an interesting city and I'm sure there is a beach somewhere! Despite being a tourist town I can still eat out well (and drink) for less than 25 euros a day which I don't think I could do in uk! Given the reduced value of the £ it seems strange to me that it is still inexpensive here. Also, it's much safer crossing the roads here than at home as at least cars here stop at the pedestrian crossings. In fact cars stop to give way on most roads. Also the wide streets paved with tiles and stone look a lot smarter than Brighton's chewing gum strewn concrete. There is very little litter and everyone seems to be washing the pavement in the morning. In addition, most nights there is someone dancing in the street, last night was tango. The Spanish lessons have been hard work and after 4 to 5 hours a day my brain is numb. I just hope some of it sinks in. However, I will be pleased to leave as I tend to find any city a bit soul destroying. Now let's see what tomorrow brings.

KinkyOne and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  18. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Alicante to Monforte del Cid. About 28 km. Started at 0720 and arrived at 1220. A bit early for my air B&B room but the owner was fine with be arriving early. Quite east to find my way out of the city and after the cemetery there were plenty of yellow arrows to show the way. In fact the amigos de Alicante's guide seems to be very good and well worth the 5 euros. Probably about 60% tarmac and pavement but the rest was nice rugged tracks. After only an hour I had left most of the city behind, and saw pigs wandering around and an hour later I was out in the country. As I neared Orito there was a sign showing an alternate route to MdC which saved about 2 km so I took that route as it was my planned destination. Air B&B seems a useful tool for Camino's like this that have less albergues di peregrinos (AdP) to choose from. In fact I'm using it for tomorrow's stop in Sax but hope to stay in the AdP in Caudete the following day. Saw no one else on the track today.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM
  19. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Wow now you are on your way, fantastic. Yes what I like is that the city stops short and throws you out in the countryside rather quickly. It must be much greener now in Spring than in Summer. Any photos? - The shortcut to Monforte: do you mean you didn't pass the Cueva de San Pascual, the sanctuary just before Orito? Or does the short-cut appear after the Cueva? It's quite a hike to get there, and if there is an alternative route to skip the hilly part it's good news for those who like to choose. But it would break my heart if pilgrims started to miss out on the sanctuary up there. Nothing big or fancy, but it's beautiful! - The hotel Fuente del Cura in Sax is very good standard, almost luxury style according to my standards, and offers reduced prices to peregrinos. Keep on moving! :OD

/BP

KinkyOne likes this.
  20. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Never managed to get photos onto this web site. But I post on Facebook as well with photos. Lots of wild flowers out but looking a bit like a dry summer at home. Went to San Pascual and the diversion is after that at the bottom of the hill. Saved about 3 kms. Tried to contact the hotel in Sax but as they were a bit tardy in responding I booked a room with AirB&B again. Hotel did respond tonight and the price would have been 22 euros. So well worth using. Just need to confirm a bit earlier I guess.

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  21. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    MdC to Sax 25kms
    Left at 0730 on what was a cool but sunny day. In fact didn't take my fleece off until 1000! Easy to follow track that was well marked until I got to Petrer. It is often difficult to follow the Camino signs through cities and this was true here. Got most of the way through then lost the signs. Not helped by the fiesta in progress! No problem as I have a gps track and my mate google. Ultimately found my way through but added about 5 kind to the route, so did 30 kms instead of 25. Track after Petrer was well marked and the last few kms into Sax were a pleasant stroll along a river. Got to Sax at 1300 and stopped for food ( and a large beer). Room not available until 1500 ( which I knew) so just relaxing and sorting things out for my walk to Caudete tomorrow.

22. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Okay, did you get lost in Petrer when walking on the left side of the river/canal? In the town I mean, walking through a park with playgrounds and stuff? I think it was a canal, but it was dry when I was there. I forgot to turn right over a bridge and had to go back. If you have the same guide as I did, it says that you can continue straight on by the left of the river but that adds 2 kms and passes some kind of Ermita. Okay that was confusing, sorry... Glad to hear that you are in Sax. Have you visited the castle?

/BP

23. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    No, I was at the high end of Petrer so no river but as I lost the arrows I headed down toward the river and crossed over. Therefore ended up picking up the route that goes via Elda! If I had managed to follow my intended route I would have avoid some hills. My mistake as given how well the route is marked so far I must have just missed the signs. But you know how frustrating it is when cities choose to try something posher than a painted arrow! I remember on one Camino where a city used engraved scallop shells placed on the pavement- try seeing those on a busy street. As to the castle in Sax, I can see it from my room but it looks a little high up at the moment! May go for a stroll later....

24. alansykes

alansykes Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    VdlP (2010 & 2012), St Cuthbert's (2011), Madrid/Levante (2013),
    Sureste-Fisterra (2014), Deltebre-Padrón (2015), Mozárabe from Almería (2016)
    Caudete tomorrow, if you're going that way, has an excellent albergue, with the only disadvantage that's it's on top of the hill. I ate in Los Naranjos in central town, a simple but outstanding restaurant, with a menu with not much choice, but all of it tempting - and it certainly tempted the locals, as it was packed by 8.30pm and I was lucky to get a place.

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  25. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Phoned the albergue in Caudete this afternoon so should be ok for a bed. Up a hill - lovely! I will look for los naranjos.
    Camino notes

Had a few hours to spare after I had checked into my room - Casa Saxrural airb&b again and it was excellent- so thought I would go for a walk! Sat above Sax is a very old Saxon castle so I of course decided to would walk up to it! Being a Sunday it was closed but at least I wasn't surprised. Bar El Quijote, which is just across the bridge as you enter the town, was very good. Lovely lady called Anna helped me and you have to like a place that when you ask for another glass of wine say "help yourself "! So a beer, 3 glasses of help yourself wine, fried anchovies then chicken and chips all for 13 euros!

KinkyOne, Bad Pilgrim and Mike Savage like this.
  26. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Sax to Caudete via Villena 29kms
    Out at 0730 and arrived at 1230. Hot today and had used all my water in the water sac by the time I arrived. However, I still had a litre in reserve. Unusually, I had a coffee before I left sax and a coffee and tostada in Villena - I must me getting soft! Track was simple today, well marked and flat - too flat really as I hate seeing my destination when it's more than 15kms away! More general agricultural on the way and plenty of wild flowers still out. Unfortunately, it is a fiesta here today so little if anything is open. On the bright side there is a fridge full of beer in the AdP!Staying in my first AdP for this Camino and it's fairly typical. In an old church building with bunk beds and a single shower. However, at the moment I'm the only one there but I'm told another person is expected later. So far this Camino is definitely not crowded. There have only 2 others here this week and it would seem only 3 English people in 5 years! Tomorrow I should see the little red elephants of the Camino Anibal!

KinkyOne, Mike Savage and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  27. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yeees the red elephants are cute! Uhm... Some of them look like red blobs of paint rather than elephants but I appreciate the artist's efforts...

More or less 2 people a week is also what I could see in the registers at the albergues, two years ago, looking through the months of Spring. During Summer it must be almost deserted...

So you are off to Montealegre del Castillo tomorrow? That is another stage where you can see the town several kilometers before you arrive... And bring water because there is no place to stay in between? Or, coming from Caudete (and not from Yecla), are there any villages to pass through?

KinkyOne likes this.
  28. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    On my way to MdC at the moment. No places in between but I knew that so have plenty of water. Route is dimple and flat and I Agee avotthe red elephants. Just spoke to the tourist office in Petrola so I should be ok for a bed there! Next few stages are awkward if there is nowhere to stay ion Petrola. I would prefer not to need to call the day before but that seems to be the requirement.

29. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    I always called one day ahead. I don't know if that was necessary, given the low numbers of pilgrim. There will certainly be a place for you to stay in Pétrola, but as you now know, no shower... There is not much to see in that town but, as you might experience tomorrow, it's a beautiful walk to get there! Will you stay in Chincilla or try to reach Albacete the day after?

30. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    My guide book infers you must call the day before. Not to ensure a place but I think it is so someone is expecting you! Found today's walk tough for no obvious reason but I'm sure it's more than the 35 kms the guide shows as I know my place. Luckily tomorrow is a short one as I hope to go to Albacete to next day.

Bad Pilgrim likes this.
  31. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Caudete to Montealegre del Castillo 35kms

No one else arrived last night so I was by myself again. Left at 0700 and got to MdC at 1410. I knew I had to go to the Ayuntamiento (town hall) to register and get the keys. Also I knew they would not be open all afternoon. Luckily for me they did not close until 1430! That would make it tough for some to get there in time as I walk quite quickly! Track to here was good and well marked with yellow arrows and little red elephants. Mainly flat again and passed lots of almond and walnut trees and wild flowers. Also lots a rabbits around. Last section is a dull slog along a road. Only relief was seeing 3 people going along the Camino riding skateboards and a Spanish driver that stopped in the middle of the road to call me over and tell me how to get into the AdP! MdC is quite a small town with about 700 inhabitants. Their AdP is excellent - 8 beds,2 loos and a shower all very clean and very nicely done. No charge either and they would not take a donativo either. Just had my 3 course lunch (with a coke!) but unfortunately this placed is closed tonight so I need to find somewhere else for tonight. Saw in the register that there is a Scottish man a day ahead of me so I guess we will catch up at some point! Be nice to have a conversation with more than ten words in it! Hasta manana.

KinkyOne likes this.
  32. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yeah it is a real slog to get to MdC, the last kilometers... I think the distance from Yecla is somewhat shorter, about 30 kms?

You have a beautiful walk to look forward to tomorrow. Not from the start, but rather half-way through. You'll see!

The staff in the Ayuntamiento of MdC are very friendly and the albergue is nice, I agree. The same procedure mañana in Pétrola, aim for the Ayuntamiento. There is a Damian that is responsible for the albergue, right? He is some sort of Camino character that I have heard of but I never met him... Maybe you will have better luck...

/BP

33. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I am looking forward to it. Yes it is Damian who I called yesterday. At least tomorrow is a short walk ready for a couple of long days after Albacete. When you said in an earlier post that you could see MdCfrom a long way I was getting worried as I could not see it when I thought I should be close. Turns out that you don't really see it until you turn the last corner and it's about 2kms away! Thanks!!

34. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    I was joined in the AdP in MdC by a Spanish peregrino called Pepe. He is doing the Camino on on electric bike! The person who let us into the AdP warned us not to let the door close unless we had a key. Evidently, someone recently stepped outside to check something and the door closed and locked on them. No keys and no trousers! Had to go across to the restaurant to get them to phone for help!

MdC to Petrola only 23kms

An easy day today but the next stop is another 36 kms away. Left at 0710 and arrived at 1200. Lovely stroll today on a good track with lots of little twists and turns. Pleasant scenery and still dry. Although the last 6km was dead straight again! This is a very small place so found my way to the bed,after asking for help,them asked for the best place to eat. Hopefully they are open tonight as well. The albergue is very simple, just 4 bunk beds on a room that is part of the church. A hand basin with cold water and a toilet. So it was an RA's dhoby for me! (Ask a navy person what that means!) To get to the AdP you need to phone Damian Lopez the day before. Then when you arrive you need to call again and go to 19 Calle San Bernard to get the key. I had to ask the baker! Damian is 100 m right of bar Jesus the AdP is to the left of the bar by the church.

Attached Files:

35. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Think I have got the photos to upload now! Here are a few from the previous part of the camino

Attached Files:

Mike Savage, KinkyOne and Bad Pilgrim like this.
  36. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    That must be one of the longest straight roads of all the Caminos - longer than the one to Guillena on VdlP?

The skies look rather ominous! Bare in mind that the next stage can be tricky in or after it has rained: the roads get muddy. The last slog into Albacete can be particularly difficult when your feet just sink through... Perhaps you have better shoes than me.

Will you visit Chinchilla as well?

37. Bad Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future:
    The first picture is from the first arrow next to the Basílica, right? There is a pensión at the other side of the street, if anyone wants a fast start!

38. MikeJS

MikeJS Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    BP. It has stayed dry so far so my fingers are crossed for dry but not too hot weather. Not going via Chinchilla as there are a few long stretches coming up and it's a bit early in the Camino and font won't to over do it.
    Yes you are correct.

Bad Pilgrim likes this.