• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From A Guarda to Santaigo 100km

eimearbaxter

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help on the Coastal Camino from A Guarda to Santiago. I saw some info that seemed to indicate that this route to Santiago would not be sufficient to get my compostela. I have been using the Camino Ways website as a guide, but the thread I read online seemed to say that obviously being a commercial company the itineraries they provide do not necessarily fulfil the continuous 100km required. Is this true?

We have 6 days of walking - can anyone suggest a suitable starting point? We had ideally wanted to start in Portugal and cross the border but we won't have enough time. We will be coming from Porto as we spend a couple of days there before we start walking and were thinking to get the train to Vigo and travel back to A Guarda or Baiona?

All help would be gratefully received.

Eimear

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have 6 days of walking - can anyone suggest a suitable starting point? We had ideally wanted to start in Portugal and cross the border but we won't have enough time.
Valenca is only a few steps from Tui, and both are recognized as being 100 km or more and qualify you for a compostela. Get two sellos per day.

Anything shorter and you should get specific information from the Pilgrim Office. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valenca is only a few steps from Tui, and both are recognized as being 100 km or more and qualify you for a compostela. Get two sellos per day.

Anything shorter and you should get specific information from the Pilgrim Office. I think they will say "no" to A Guarda. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Tui and Valenca - they aren't on the coastal route though are they? Would Baiona be a better starting point?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have 6 days of walking - can anyone suggest a suitable starting point? We had ideally wanted to start in Portugal and cross the border but we won't have enough time. We will be coming from Porto as we spend a couple of days there before we start walking and were thinking to get the train to Vigo and travel back to A Guarda or Baiona?

All help would be gratefully received.

Eimear
If you really wanted to start from the portugues side you could start in Caminha, which is a beautiful town, and get the boat across to A Guarda. It is approx 26k to Baiona and you will pass through Oia which is well worth a stop to eat at Taperia a Camboa and see the Monastery of Santa Maria de Oia just up the road. Baiona is also a very beautiful town with lots of history and well worth a look around or a stay if possible. If the weather is kind to you you couldn't be in a nicer place to walk with the Atlantic on your left as you go.
Bom Caminho and Buen Camino to you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back