• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Aquileia to Singidunum - The RecRoad Project

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Italian archaeologist Sara Zanni started a project (at Montaigne University in Bordeaux) of reconstructing old Roman route that connected Venetieet Histrie with Pannonia Superior. To be more exact nowadays Aquileia in NE Italy and Belgrade (capital of Serbia). She already walked three Caminos to SdC and is now going to start walking that route which goes from Italy through Slovenia and Croatia to Serbia on September 2nd and planning to finish it in 27 days (530km). That route was first mentioned in 333 AD by anonymous pilgrim from Bordeaux on his pilgrimage to Jerusalem in a document called Itinerarium Burdigalense which is the oldest document about pilgrimage to Holy Land.

Official link: https://reconstructingromanroads.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/the-recroad-project/
Slovenian link to interview with some photos: http://www.rtvslo.si/kultura/drugo/po-sledeh-stare-rimske-ceste-pes-od-ogleja-do-beograda/426919

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, it's clear that the Celts also settled in Serbia (I din´t know it)
In word Singidunum, dunum means Castle.
There are a lot of cities with Dun included in their names in Western Europe: Dundalk, Dundee, Dunquerque, Dumbria....
I wonder if in year 250 BC people could travel from Britain to Singidunum and could ask for basic things in their Celtic language as they can do nowadays using English language:D

So, it's clear that the Celts also settled in Serbia (I din´t know it)
In word Singidunum, dunum means Castle.
There are a lot of cities with Dun included in their names in Western Europe: Dundalk, Dundee, Dunquerque, Dumbria....
I wonder if in year 250 BC people could travel from Britain to Singidunum and could ask for basic things in their Celtic language as they can do nowadays using English language:D
Exactly, same as London (Lundun). Dun(on) meaning settlement/fence/fortress and for Singi there are two theories: a) ring (that would mean round fortress which Belgrade has) and b) name of the tribe that settled the place before Scordisci tribe which already contained different Celt tribes. Celts were all over Balkans, very strong culture.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back