• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Barcelona to SJPDP: Tips and Recommendations

jawadwehbe

Time of past OR future Camino
May 20 2023
Hello,

I will be arriving to barcelona on May 21st at around 8 30 am. Is it possible to reach SJPDP on the same day? If not, what is the recommended way to go to reach SJPDP?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The last few years the ALSA/CONDA bus between Pamplona and SJPdP has had less frequent scheduling than in the previous years. My guess is that there will be only one bus running per day then and at 1430. That means you aren't likely to get it in time if you take a bus or train from Pamplona. You may have to fly. Otherwise you could taxi from Pamplona for maybe a bit over 100€. When you get there though it should be easy to find other pilgrims willing to share the ride and costs.

Or spend the night in Pamplona.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is a spectacular, though occasionally challenging, walk. Girona and Figueres are cultural highlights before you hit the GR10 at Port de la Selva. Keep going West and you'll hit StJdP eventually. It'll take a bit more than "same day" though ;)

That 11:00 am train will get you to Pamplona without any stress but same day to St J? Nah. Unless you want to make a taxi-driver very happy.

You could just start walking from Barcelona along the Catalan / Aragones or train it to Pamplona and start West from there. There being no rules follow your bent. For me the idea of travelling backwards along the Frances for the sole purpose of turning around and walking back along my €100 cab ride over a couple of days is anathema

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Choosing a Sunday for your arrival day is likely to make a fast journey to SJPDP that day even more difficult. Are you fully committed to the date, time and arrival in Barcelona? If you can tell us where you are travelling from then perhaps we can offer simpler solutions.

Hello,

I will be arriving to barcelona on May 21st at around 8 30 am. Is it possible to reach SJPDP on the same day? If not, what is the recommended way to go to reach SJPDP?
I advise a night in either Barcelona or Pamplona to get used to travelling slowly. Even if you reach SJPdP the same day, you won’t be able to start walking. Check rome2rio for bus or train to Pamplona then bus. It’s an easy journey.

We are traveling from Australia and arrive in Barcelona on the afternoon of May 31st. We have booked a hotel near the main train station, will stay one night and catch the train to Pamplona the next day. There we will enjoy 2 nights to recover from the long flight, get a taxi to SJPDP on the morning of June 3rd and start walking (after a quick visit to the pilgrims office). We are lucky we have enough time to have those 2 nights in Pamplona.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is a spectacular, though occasionally challenging, walk. Girona and Figueres are cultural highlights before you hit the GR10 at Port de la Selva. Keep going West and you'll hit StJdP eventually. It'll take a bit more than "same day" though ;)

That 11:00 am train will get you to Pamplona without any stress but same day to St J? Nah. Unless you want to make a taxi-driver very happy.

You could just start walking from Barcelona along the Catalan / Aragones or train it to Pamplona and start West from there. There being no rules follow your bent. For me the idea of travelling backwards along the Frances for the sole purpose of turning around and walking back along my €100 cab ride over a couple of days is anathema
Wow walking - nice idea. How long do you think it would take?

It took me three days to walk from Barcelona to Monserrat (you could take the train to start there instead). Then another 19 days to Puenta de Reina and one to Pamplona. No rest days. Not as many places to stay as on the CF so its a bit harder to adjust your schedule. I did it Oct/Nov and kept thinking how pretty it would be in spring; lots of fruit trees. I used Gronze for lodging info and Wikiloc for tracks. I used the Caminos Catalan (via Huesca) and Aragonese.

Last edited:
From Port de la Selva to St Jean on the GR10, 60 - 70 days depending mainly on weather. Hikers are occasionally pushed off-trail and need to hunker down for a few days. re-supplying can require detours too.

The Camino routes are a bit kinder. 20 days or so as @Rick of Rick and Peg says

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks! Thought I might ride my bike from Barcelona leave it and walk the Camino!

Just yesterday my plane landed to Paris CDG terminal 1 at 1830. Took the internal train to terminal 2 .and after 10 minutes I rest my body and pass the night to a hotel inside terminal.(ok Paris is nice attractive I saw it before and never is enough but the target is Santiago .so today 07.17 took the train to Bordeaux and change train to Bayonne and now iam almost arrive to sjdp.have enough time between train's departures .

Just yesterday my plane landed to Paris CDG terminal 1 at 1830. Took the internal train to terminal 2 .and after 10 minutes I rest my body and pass the night to a hotel inside terminal.(ok Paris is nice attractive I saw it before and never is enough but the target is Santiago .so today 07.17 took the train to Bordeaux and change train to Bayonne and now iam almost arrive to sjdp.have enough time between train's departures .
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Choosing a Sunday for your arrival day is likely to make a fast journey to SJPDP that day even more difficult. Are you fully committed to the date, time and arrival in Barcelona? If you can tell us where you are travelling from then perhaps we can offer simpler solutions.
Sorry for the late reply, but yeah barcelona is the cheapest ticket from my country(Lebanon). It seems i should book a flight from Barcelona to Bordeaux or somewhere closer to SJPDP to get there.

I just took a look and flights are very expensive (right now) to get there on the same day. It looks like the train to Pamplona is the best option but will add a day. You can make up that day along your Camino by busing or taxiing one day. Totally understand if you don’t want to do that though.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back