• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From BCN - Montserrat - Camino de Santiago

arunb

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018
Hi, I hope whoever reading and replying to this is doing well!

I'll be arriving into BCN (Barcellona Airport) on the 24th and will be heading from there to Montserrat. Any idea on an economical way to do this?

Then, I'll be looking for the monastery on Montserrat to stay in that evening and begin the Camino Catalan trail of the Santiago the following morning. Is this (monastery) even an option?

Can one enjoy even a few days of this? Say for instance I only had 2-3 days to trek. Would it be worthwhile? Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We did this two months ago! Montserrat is definitely worth the visit and they have a clean albuerge there for pilgrims! You can even get a delicious pilgrims’ meal in the fancy restaurant for just 10€. Otherwise, The dorm has kitchen facilities and there is a small store with a few items you can use to cook your own meal. Staying at the site was wonderful because the crowds leave in the early evening and the place takes on a completely different feel.

We took the metro from Barcelona and switched to a train at the end of the line. This took us to the aerial tram which takes you up the mountain though you can certainly hike up if you are looking for a challenge. The metro/train/aerial was less than 15€ total.

The next day we hiked to Manresa along the final stage of the Camino Ignacio - about 32k - and stayed at an inexpensive youth hostel there. Lovely town where you can catch a train back to BCN or busses to Huesca, Zaragoza, Jaca, etc.

You mention only having 2-3 DAYS to walk? Did you mean weeks?

We did this two months ago! Montserrat is definitely worth the visit and they have a clean albuerge there for pilgrims! You can even get a delicious pilgrims’ meal in the fancy restaurant for just 10€. Otherwise, The dorm has kitchen facilities and there is a small store with a few items you can use to cook your own meal. Staying at the site was wonderful because the crowds leave in the early evening and the place takes on a completely different feel.

We took the metro from Barcelona and switched to a train at the end of the line. This took us to the aerial tram which takes you up the mountain though you can certainly hike up if you are looking for a challenge. The metro/train/aerial was less than 15€ total.

The next day we hiked to Manresa along the final stage of the Camino Ignacio - about 32k - and stayed at an inexpensive youth hostel there. Lovely town where you can catch a train back to BCN or busses to Huesca, Zaragoza, Jaca, etc.

You mention only having 2-3 DAYS to walk? Did you mean weeks?

Hey vacajoe, thanks so much for this reply! So helpful.

2-3 days is correct. Can I do what you mentioned within that time frame?

For instance, I'll arrive at the BCN airport from Girona on the 24th in the afternoon. I'll go immediately from there to Monserrat via the metro, train, and aerial tram you mentioned. Then, I'll stay there at the Albuerge you mentioned.

On the 25th I'll trek all day and make it to Manresa like you mentioned. I'll stay the night at the hostel you mentioned and catch a train back to BCN on the 26th.

Does that sound doable? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Definitely! From the airport to Montserrat, it’ll take 2 - 3 hours. Tell them you are walking the Camino and need a credential (otherwise you can’t stay there!). The walk to Manresa is a full day (20 miles). The third day you can visit the town and take the train back to Barcelona (90 minutes). Have fun!

Definitely! From the airport to Montserrat, it’ll take 2 - 3 hours. Tell them you are walking the Camino and need a credential (otherwise you can’t stay there!). The walk to Manresa is a full day (20 miles). The third day you can visit the town and take the train back to Barcelona (90 minutes). Have fun!

Wonderful, man! Thank you. So, it's a shorter distance to Barcelona from Manresa than it is from BCN Airport to Montserrat? Also, if I had 1-2 extra days to add to the trip would you have any other suggestions such as destinations to keep walking to? If you don't mind I may ask you a few more Q's as I solidify my plans.

From the airport, you head into downtown Barcelona and then to Montserrat, that’s why it’s a bit longer than the return from Manresa to Barcelona. The train you take to Montserrat is actually the same one you’ll take back from Manresa, you just are getting back on at a later stop. Not sure how long you are staying in Barcelona, but the 10 ride metro pass will likely save you money even if you only use it a few times (you can buy it from the machine at the airport, then use it to get almost all the way to Montserrat)

Barcelona is worth a few days of exploring, too, if you have the time. Walking from downtown to/around Park Guell (by Gaudi) and back is a great day of exercise!

Feel free to private message me (through this site or to vacajoe@yahoo.com) if you have more questions.

Attachments

• 01F02853-85B6-4FAD-AAAB-9E4AD3978774.jpeg
    01F02853-85B6-4FAD-AAAB-9E4AD3978774.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From the airport, you head into downtown Barcelona and then to Montserrat, that’s why it’s a bit longer than the return from Manresa to Barcelona. The train you take to Montserrat is actually the same one you’ll take back from Manresa, you just are getting back on at a later stop. Not sure how long you are staying in Barcelona, but the 10 ride metro pass will likely save you money even if you only use it a few times (you can buy it from the machine at the airport, then use it to get almost all the way to Montserrat)

Barcelona is worth a few days of exploring, too, if you have the time. Walking from downtown to/around Park Guell (by Gaudi) and back is a great day of exercise!

Feel free to private message me (through this site or to vacajoe@yahoo.com) if you have more questions.

Wow, what an amazing pic! Where is this? I am also walking the CP in Sept. and contemplating flying home from BCN (to Boston). Wondering what I should do around the area and Monserrat sounds like a good idea? tx

That’s the monastery at Montserrat! Definitely worth a visit (and an overnight stay if you can swing it!)

That’s the monastery at Montserrat! Definitely worth a visit (and an overnight stay if you can swing it!)

Great picture! The overnight stay is essential, IMO, at least if you want to absorb the beauty. During the day, Montserrat is beseiged by hoards, and I do mean hoards, of people. But at night it is deserted and awesome. I took a walk from the monastery out on a path that had incredible views back to the monastery as the crowds were diminishing. And then at night it was just spectacular.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! Plenty of great hiking on TOP of the mountain, too, not just on the way down following the Camino Ignacio or Camino Catalan.E415B2AC-FEFE-4405-8209-EC5A7B12EB92.jpeg

From the airport you can take the L2 to Belvitge and change to Gornal walking. Here you can buy the ~15€ ticket for the FCat train to Montserrat + Aeri (cable car) or train (selling machine with creditcard works). If you buy the tickets separately it's more expensive and another waiting queue. The train leaves every hour.

I could stay in the albergue and got a credencial at the reception. You can use the kitchen, but better bring food. The small shop is expensive and limited. Dinner is only served in the 3* Hotel in front of the albergue/monastery. I guess they have a pilgrims menu. All other facilities count on day time tourism, so they close early.

Getting off at Aeri station and walking up is possible but takes some time, cause of 500-600m gain in height.
The reception opened after a siesta break from 4 or 5pm to 8/9pm.

We had the pilgrims meal at that hotel and it was delicious and of a higher quality than you generally find on the CF. Due to the lack of a hospitalero, the kitchen area of the albuergue was closed when we stayed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back