• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Biarritz to Irun to El Camino Norte then onto Finisterr

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
I fly into Biarritz on 15 Sep ready to start the Camino North the next day. Can you tell me what is the best/easiest way to get to Irun?

Also instead of heading off the coast at the end to Santiago de Compestala I would like to stay on the coast and head to Finisterre via Muxia and then back to SdC. Anyone know if there is a good route?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, I now have some info about a hiking route from Biarritz Airport to Irun which is my preferred method.

However, still struggling for any info on routes and accommodation to stay on the northern coast instead of diverting down to Santiago de Compestala. I would prefer to stay on the coast and walk to Finisterre first and then finish in SdC.

Anyone any clues?

Hi there, MikeIan. Here are a few suggestions to help you along the way:

* Biarritz to Irun:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-del-norte/topic13746.html
scroll down a little for info on Voie de la Cote and Sentier du Littoral

* Ribadeo to Ferrol
Search Camino del Mar or Ruta do Mar. The Amigos are working on this route.
http://www.lugocamino.com/camino-del-mar

* From Ferrol you might walk the Camino Ingles as far as Betanzos then hike to A Caruña via Sada and the Costa de Dexo (Costa Doce), a very beautiful stretch of coast . I hiked this last year. I have attached a pdf flyer for the Costa de Dexo to this post

http://www.rutasasmarinas.com/ruta-5-costa-norte-oleiros?lang=es
click on Rutas as Mariñas : Puerto de Dexo (map) & Sada; also, click Roteiro Marinan: 6. Costa Doce

* A Caruña to SdC
do a Forum Search of Lost Photographer. A few years back this peregrino found a way to hike the coast beyond A Caruña via Finisterre or Muxia to SdC. He asked advice and aquired maps at the tourist centre in A Caruña. Last year when I hoped to do the same the tourist officer was unable to help me. With limited Spanish I found it too taxing to chase arround A Caruña for more information so ended my Camino with the Ingles.

[edited 10/08/21012]
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-del-norte/topic6884.html Lost Photographer, 2009

Cheers,
-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• guia_dexo.pdf
    166.9 KB · Views: 82
  • _DSC1910.JPG
    _DSC1910.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,410
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lovingkindness - Thank you. I will search the info you provided as soon as I can. Fortunately, I think I have sorted out our route from Biarritz airport to Irun - thanks to Google maps!

I fly into Biarritz on 15 Sep ready to start the Camino North the next day. Can you tell me what is the best/easiest way to get to Irun?

Also instead of heading off the coast at the end to Santiago de Compestala I would like to stay on the coast and head to Finisterre via Muxia and then back to SdC. Anyone know if there is a good route?

Hi Mike, Did you get an answer to your question? I fly to Biarritz on 15 April 2014 and am thinking of walking to Irun and then along the Camino Norte. I remember buses and trains going there as well. Did you walk? What was it like? Thanks

Richard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.