• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Brindisi to Santiago

David Edmond

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP April 2014
Been a long time in the thinking and planning, app 3000 km still not 100% certain but would be a start of next March
Has anyone out there walked any part of this route exempting the Franch leg as that is pretty well documented
I would love to hear your views and tips
David

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You may feel like a salmon swimming upstream for a good portion of the walk but it is certainly possible. I am currently walking from Vercelli to Rome on the Via Francigena. In the fall or next spring, we will likely walk from Rome to Brindisi. The current walk is very well signposted towards Rome and I've seen some signs for the opposite direction as well. Despite the signs, I also recommend Maps.me with the route GPS points. Also, a local phone for calling ahead for a bed is close to mandatory if you want to stay in ostellos. There are not enough pilgrims to have full time hospitaleros.

I've also walked from Navarette to Montserrat / Manresa near Barcelona as part of the Camino Ignaciano. If you choose that route, which is the opposite direction of a few Santiago Caminos, it is also well signposted and supported. It is a challenging but beautiful section, particularly through Los Monegros.

After we reach Brindisi, the next walk is planned to connect Vercelli to Manresa which is supposed to be well signposted mostly through GR routes but that planning is well in the future. Buen Camino!

You may feel like a salmon swimming upstream for a good portion of the walk but it is certainly possible. I am currently walking from Vercelli to Rome on the Via Francigena. In the fall or next spring, we will likely walk from Rome to Brindisi. The current walk is very well signposted towards Rome and I've seen some signs for the opposite direction as well. Despite the signs, I also recommend Maps.me with the route GPS points. Also, a local phone for calling ahead for a bed is close to mandatory if you want to stay in ostellos. There are not enough pilgrims to have full time hospitaleros.

I've also walked from Navarette to Montserrat / Manresa near Barcelona as part of the Camino Ignaciano. If you choose that route, which is the opposite direction of a few Santiago Caminos, it is also well signposted and supported. It is a challenging but beautiful section, particularly through Los Monegros.

After we reach Brindisi, the next walk is planned to connect Vercelli to Manresa which is supposed to be well signposted mostly through GR routes but that planning is well in the future. Buen Camino!
Micheal
Thank you for your advice and pointers, enough for me to study and think about
will keep in touch

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Micheal
hope your walking is steady
I wonder if you could give me an idea of price to stay in the ostellos?
trying to work a rough budget
thanks david
Buen Camino

...Has anyone out there walked any part of this route exempting the Franch leg as that is pretty well documented
I would love to hear your views and tips
Hi there, David. In 2013 I followed a few trails in the opposite direction through France and Italy as far as Bari. I walked without GPS or internet connection making music along the way. There may be something here of use:

Trails: Castella - Bari (2013)

Castella - Moissac: Voie du Puy
Moissac -Toulouse via Carcassone - Arles: Canals & local trails; Voie d'Arles

Arles to Montgenèvre: GR653D
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arles-to-montgenèvre-gr653d.19203/

Montgenèvre - San Quiroco d'Orcia: Via Francigena
San Quiroco d'Orcia - Perugia: local trails
Perugia - Assisi: il Cammino di San Francesco
Assisi - Rieti - Rome: il Cammino di San Francesco
Cantilice - Monte Sant'angelo: il Cammino di San Francesco
Monte Sant'angelo - Bari: following the beach & coastal roads.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ssana-turinese-via-assisi-rome-to-bari.32023/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/italy-shelter-2013.320/

Happy planning!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
...and if I had this time over, I would alter my course...

I'd turn right at Briançon or Cessana Turinese and walk the Alps, the lakes and foothills to Venice. From there I'd follow trails via Ravenna to La Verna Sanctuary, the start of Il Cammino di San Francesco....

The great rice bowl of Italy and the flats which precede, (Via Francigena: Turin to Tuscany) are brutal in high summer ...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
...and if I had this time over, I would alter my course...

I'd turn right at Briançon or Cessana Turinese and walk the Alps, the lakes and foothills to Venice. From there I'd follow trails via Ravenna to La Verna Sanctuary, the start of Il Cammino di San Francesco....

The great rice bowl of Italy and the flats which precede, (Via Francigena: Turin to Tuscany) are brutal in high summer...
Thankyou for the info especially in your second reply
i am gathering some good advice so will begin to lay my plans
david

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back