• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Brisbane to St Jean

Arthur Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Leon to Santiago2016)
Frances (SJPDP to Leon 2017)
I know this question has been asked previously, that is, the best way to travel from Brisbane to St Jean, and the answers I have found all state fly to Paris and then train to St Jean. Just wondering if flying to Barcelona is a better option as the train journey to St Jean from Barcelona appears to be shorter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take Renfe train from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona. Alternatively take Vibasa bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona or ALSA bus from Estacio Nord to Pamplona via Zaragosa.

Take CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona bus station to SJPdP.

Time works out shorter than Paris to SJPdP but bus schedule from Pamplona to SJPdP is seasonal. If you end up staying overnight there is only an AM bus from Pamplona in summer while the AM train from Bayonne is daily all year. So it depends on your travel schedule and time of year when you travel.

Its also possible to go from Barcelona Sants to Toulouse and Toulouse to Bayonne and finally to SJPdP all with SNCF (with the section from Barcelona to Toulouse operated in cooperation with Renfe) . Schedules may be faster than from Paris or via Pamplona ... but that depends on your timings.

Barcelona Sants is reached by Renfe Cercanias/Rodalies trains. Journey time from Airport to Sants is 22 minutes.

One other option is to fly from either of Paris to Biarritz BIQ or Barcelona to San Sebastian EAS. It is easy to get to Gare Bayonne from either of these airports.

Homeward bound it is easier to get from Santiago to Barcelona than Paris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your prompt reply and advice, much appreciated.
Regards
Arthur

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know this question has been asked previously, that is, the best way to travel from Brisbane to St Jean, and the answers I have found all state fly to Paris and then train to St Jean. Just wondering if flying to Barcelona is a better option as the train journey to St Jean from Barcelona appears to be shorter.
I have done this from Australia, but it involved an overnight stay in Barcelona because my flight arrived too late to catch a convenient train. I could have caught an evening train, but that just moved the place I needed overnight accommodation.

This was using Emirates. Other airlines might have more convenient arrival times.

I say Arthur, try this: Singapore Air fly Brisbane-Singapore-Paris with a short lay over in Singapore and breakfast at Charles De Gaulle. Then Easyjet 10:00AM-ish will take you to Biarritz for a fist-full of Euros (about 60-ish). From Biarritz, it's an easy 1-hour train ride to SJPDP. I have always found Singapore Air to be an exceptional quality airline for a budget price and with a short stop over in Singapore for a stretch.

cheers
Pat

PS - go the maroons

I'm flying BNE to Barcelona via Dubai (and a 7hr train ride to Lourdes, my starting point, via Narbonne and Toulouse). I'm coming back from Madrid (again via Dubai). That way I can (quickly) see the two main cities in Spain. The train from SdC to Madrid is 5 hrs or so. The problem I'm finding with trains is that (apparently) for high-speed services you must book in advance and (although the Renfe/Rail Europe site tells you that services can be booked 3-4 months in advance, I don't seem to be able to do it until about 1 month before... a pain...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm flying BNE to Barcelona via Dubai (and a 7hr train ride to Lourdes, my starting point, via Narbonne and Toulouse). I'm coming back from Madrid (again via Dubai). That way I can (quickly) see the two main cities in Spain. The train from SdC to Madrid is 5 hrs or so. The problem I'm finding with trains is that (apparently) for high-speed services you must book in advance and (although the Renfe/Rail Europe site tells you that services can be booked 3-4 months in advance, I don't seem to be able to do it until about 1 month before... a pain...

Rail from Santiago to Madrid is not considered high speed even if parts of the rail are upgraded to that standard.

You do need to book in advance of boarding the train. If you book a month in advance you might get a better price than if you book at the train station a few minutes before boarding. You'll have to weigh off the convenience versus the costs.

Rail from Santiago to Madrid is not considered high speed even if parts of the rail are upgraded to that standard.

You do need to book in advance of boarding the train. If you book a month in advance you might get a better price than if you book at the train station a few minutes before boarding. You'll have to weigh off the convenience versus the costs.
Thank you whariwharangi for the clarification about the speed of the trains in the return leg. The requirement to book in advance is the message I am getting while trying to book the train from Barcelona to Toulouse. And it keeps on telling me it is "too early".

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you whariwharangi for the clarification about the speed of the trains in the return leg. The requirement to book in advance is the message I am getting while trying to book the train from Barcelona to Toulouse. And it keeps on telling me it is "too early".

Have you tried booking it with SNCF or with Renfe? Using SNCF site I can get schedule for 27 August (or 90 days from today).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have you tried booking it with SNCF or with Renfe? I think SNCF is the service provider.
Yes, with both. I think the problem might be the TGV component from Narbonne to Toulouse... The last time I tried it said I will be able to book from 27th July which is just a month before the trip... so, I keep my fingers (and toes) crossed...

Yes, with both. I think the problem might be the TGV component from Narbonne to Toulouse... The last time I tried it said I will be able to book from 27th July which is just a month before the trip... so, I keep my fingers (and toes) crossed...

There are several trains per day so I wouldn't get worried about it.

There are several trains per day so I wouldn't get worried about it.
Yes, I know (from 6:20am or so from Sants), I guess I just want to get that sorted since it is the last bit before starting my walk (flights and hotels in Barcelona and Lourdes are sorted)... Thank you for your suggestions whariwharangi, much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It really
Depends on what is most important to you and how much time you have. The travel time seems to be less but more train/bus interchanges plus you miss out on the French countryside coming down from Paris. I am planning to travel from London to Bordeaux (after flying in from Canberra and a couple of catching up with friends days), do a couple of days wine tasting and then train to SJDP.

I say Arthur, try this: Singapore Air fly Brisbane-Singapore-Paris with a short lay over in Singapore and breakfast at Charles De Gaulle. Then Easyjet 10:00AM-ish will take you to Biarritz for a fist-full of Euros (about 60-ish). From Biarritz, it's an easy 1-hour train ride to SJPDP. I have always found Singapore Air to be an exceptional quality airline for a budget price and with a short stop over in Singapore for a stretch.

cheers
Pat

PS - go the maroons
Arthur I agree with Pat on most points. I am going from Sydney to Paris and then EasyJet to Biarritz. Just a word of warning on the EasyJet option: their timetable shows that the 10:50 flights do not operate every day. The other days often have a 7 am (too early to connect directly) and then 19:30 ( very long wait probably).
Only disagreement is the PS which would be cryptic to most forum members. Blue is much better.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back