• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Cabo de São Vicente using Rota de Vicentina facilities

Conques

Time of past OR future Camino
See "about you"
First impressions of Rota Vincentina way to reach Lisboa from Faro - Lagos - Sagres or Cabo de São Vicente as a pilgrim.

12 sections of about 20 km to reach Santiago do Cacem or Porto Covo. Accommodation is available at the end of each section.
So, you can combine two sections for larger legs and if two sections are too long, you can quit the Rota.

I Will take the example of my first leg:

Rota Vicentina guide propose 2 sections:
Cabo - Vila Bispo: 14km
Vila Bispo - Carrapateira: 22 km
Total: 36 km

Following the regional road 263
Cabo - Vila Bispo: 14 km
Vila Bispo - Carrapateira: 14 km
Total: 28 km

Mix of the preceeding
Cabo - Villa Bispo: 14 km
Vila Bispo - Carapateira: 17 km
Total: 31 km
You just quit the Rota at the intersection with N263 8 km before Carrapateira.

->Accommodation in Carrapateira: 32 Eur for a single room (Pensão do Dunas).

For my second step, I made 23 km from Carrapateira to Aljezur (in place of 36 km) getting out of the Rota after 12 km and following regional than national road.

->Accommodation in Aljezur: 17 Eur (Amazigh Hostel)

Please note that the map and road book of Rota Vicentina is available in Sagres Tourism Office (for free) and in Carrapateira Pensão de Dunas (for 5 Eur )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 3, I just arrived in Zambujeira do Mar.

2 reommanded steps:
Aljezur-Odeceixe (18km)
Odeceixe-Zambujeira (18km)

I decided to combine them ...

From Aljezur, I took the road 120 to Rogil where I wanted to have a breakfast. It's about 6 km but there is quite no gain in distance (1km) so I would propose to follow the normal way.

In Odeceixe, you have to choose whether to follow the Fisherman Trail or the Historical Way,
Well, there should be a discussion about that choice but not today

You have to follow the river down to the beach (4km) than to climb a cliff and follow a sand path. It's hard to walk there, it's slow and even dangerous in some parts!

So, I had to quit that trail in Azenha do Mar to be sure to arrive before the night!

Now, if you don't have a map, you are in trouble...

I found some local roads to arrive in Zambujeira but that made the walk quite longer.

There is a road from Odeceixe to Zambujeira. It's only 14 km...

Accommodation: hakuna matata youth hostel 18 Eur.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 4
I was in Almograve by 1.30 pm.
There is few accommodations here so I was happy to get a room (Isa, restaurant/rooms, 30 Eur with shower and wifi)

If I had to do this leg again, I would take the Fishermen Trail again but I would step out of it in Cavaleiro and take the road to Vila Nova de Milfontes. It is only about 28 km in total and you avoid to walk the part from Cavaleiro to Almograve which is less spectacular but harder because you walk through sand dunes. This village is bigger than Almograve so the risk is lower to be obliged to spend the night on the beach

First impressions of Rota Vincentina way to reach Lisboa from Faro - Lagos - Sagres or Cabo de São Vicente as a pilgrim.

12 sections of about 20 km to reach Santiago do Cacem or Porto Covo. Accommodation is available at the end of each section.
So, you can combine two sections for larger legs and if two sections are too long, you can quit the Rota.

I Will take the example of my first leg:

Rota Vicentina guide propose 2 sections:
Cabo - Vila Bispo: 14km
Vila Bispo - Carrapateira: 22 km
Total: 36 km

Following the regional road 263
Cabo - Vila Bispo: 14 km
Vila Bispo - Carrapateira: 14 km
Total: 28 km

Mix of the preceeding
Cabo - Villa Bispo: 14 km
Vila Bispo - Carapateira: 17 km
Total: 31 km
You just quit the Rota at the intersection with N263 8 km before Carrapateira.

->Accommodation in Carrapateira: 32 Eur for a single room (Pensão do Dunas).

For my second step, I made 23 km from Carrapateira to Aljezur (in place of 36 km) getting out of the Rota after 12 km and following regional than national road.

->Accommodation in Aljezur: 17 Eur (Amazigh Hostel)

Please note that the map and road book of Rota Vicentina is available in Sagres Tourism Office (for free) and in Carrapateira Pensão de Dunas (for 5 Eur )
My wife and I are planning on walking this rout in mid October...your comments are very helpful. I am curious as to where to start..in Cabo or Porto Covo and if Cabo what is the best way to get from Lisbon to Cabo?

Day 4
I was in Almograve by 1.30 pm.
There is few accommodations here so I was happy to get a room (Isa, restaurant/rooms, 30 Eur with shower and wifi)

If I had to do this leg again, I would take the Fishermen Trail again but I would step out of it in Cavaleiro and take the road to Vila Nova de Milfontes. It is only about 28 km in total and you avoid to walk the part from Cavaleiro to Almograve which is less spectacular but harder because you walk through sand dunes. This village is bigger than Almograve so the risk is lower to be obliged to spend the night on the beach
And there is also an excellent laid-back restaurant in Vila Nova de Milfontes, built up on stilts right next to the water. DELICIOUS fish -- but then how can grilled fish right out of the ocean not be delicious?!

Enjoying your reports, Conques, looks like you are stirring up some interest in this route! Bom caminho, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day 5

Well...
I told you yesterday the best option was to stop in Vila Nova de Milfontes. The idea was to spend a night there then to walk to Sines (and probably to reach Santo André the day after but this part is to be confirmed as I don't have a map to look at).

If you know the day you will reach Porto Covo well in advance, you could consider to stay there (for example Ahoy Porto Covo Hostel). If not, don't even try and moreover on Saturday!! It's full of tourists

The other idea that you can go to Cercal (18 km from Porto Covo) than continue the Rota Vicentina through Vale Seco and Santiago de Cacem imply you spend a night in Porto Covo so the problem is the same.

I arrived in Porto Covo after 30 km of roads, partly not paved, fortunately. I already tried to book something yesterday but was not lucky even for a 4 or 5 star hostel and imagined that there would be a free bed somewhere...
I immediatly entered a bar and asked how to go to Sines, the only possibility was to call a taxi.
Not too expensive but not really the peregrino method!
In Sines, I found a wifi connection in a bar and booked what I think was the last free room in the area

Believe me, I will not come back to Porto Covo even if it's a beautiful place.

So, I will remember day 5 as I broken my iPhone screen, I got inflammation on Achilles tendon and had to enter a car during a peregrination

My wife and I are planning on walking this rout in mid October...your comments are very helpful. I am curious as to where to start..in Cabo or Porto Covo and if Cabo what is the best way to get from Lisbon to Cabo?

Hi Marvin, all your questions have an answer on the official Rota Vicentina site.
Bom Caminho!

Day 6

Sines to Santo André is a 16 km walk.
When you look at the 1/55000 map, you see nothing but a highway. In Sines, 2 lanes are painted, one in green and one in red.
I supposed that it was the same up to Santo André and took a non paved road through Cadaveira which gave me 5 km of quietness.
When I arrived at the end of this sandy path, I had to follow the highway with no more green or red lane ... On my left, there was a fence and ... a non paved path in the "Reserva natural Lg S.André" I could have climbed the fence but was not sure that the path would continue
But it does!
So, it is too late for me but one should find an information about that path and how to access it.

I stopped in Santo André as I would have done if I have had a accommodation in Porto Covo

You will find nothing but hotels or Bombeiros, here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Conques, sounds like this is not a simple way to walk. Hope you are well. Are you going to take the boat to Setubal and then walk to Lisbon? You are a real trailblazer, thanks so much for posting and letting us know how it's going! Laurie

Conques,

If as Laurie suggests you are going to walk from Setubel do consider following the Costa da Caparica up to Lisbon. The wide beaches are beautiful with simple fish restaurants backed by holm oak forest; even in December it can be splendid!

MM

Last edited:
Are you going to take the boat to Setubal and then walk to Lisbon? Laurie

Yesterday I bought a 1/600000 map to have an idea of how to reach Lisboa. I also requested my phone navigator to find a way ...

It proposed me to reach Setubal, indeed and from there to walk to Barreiro and take a ferry to Lisboa, which is (dixit the phone) a 40 km walk that could be made in two days if necessary.
I told my phone that I could also take a boat from Sines to Lisboa but it didn't answered
I like the idea of a ferry, like on Camino del Norte but when there is a bridge, you are supposed to use it (aren't you?)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are you going to take the boat to Setubal Laurie

Yes, I will walk on N261 from here (Santo André), through Melides, Torroal, Comporta to Troia and take a ferry to Setubal.

The problem is that accommodations are difficult to find. For example, the Pensõa A Toca do Grillo in Carvalhal seems to be full. So, tommorow, I may be will reach Carvalhal (if the inflammation permits) but I could have to move again using bus or taxi

Yesterday I bought a 1/600000 map to have an idea of how to reach Lisboa. I also requested my phone navigator to find a way ...

It proposed me to reach Setubal, indeed and from there to walk to Barreiro and take a ferry to Lisboa, which is (dixit the phone) a 40 km walk that could be made in two days if necessary.
I told my phone that I could also take a boat from Sines to Lisboa but it didn't answered
I like the idea of a ferry, like on Camino del Norte but when there is a bridge, you are supposed to use it (aren't you?)
Hi, Conques, I'll bet there is no way for anyone to walk over either the April 25 bridge or the one that goes into Parque Nacoes. I think that there has been discussion about marking a route that stays on the east side of the Tejo and crossing over a bridge much further north, almost at Santarem. But that would have the tremendous disadvantage of missing Lison! So I think you should feel quite comfortable taking a boat.

If you're going to take a ferry, consider also Cacilhas. There are frequent ferries to Lison. For one thing there is a great restaurant you may pass, called Ponto Final, with a terrific view over the river to Lisbon.

Setubal to Barreiro doesn't look like a very scenic walk. As Margaret says, the Costa Caparica is very nice, but I don't know if you would just be slogging through the sand since there are very few roads between CAbo Espichel and the town of Costa da CAparica. And it would be quite a few additional kms to go Setubal, CAbo Espichel and then along the coast.

Here's a possibility, but I have no idea how feasible it is -- Setubal along the coast southwest through Portinho da ARrabida, essentially a place with a few bars and restaurants, and then maybe through Sesimbra and north along the N highway.

Or, if you are giving up on the coast idea, you could walk from Setubal to Palmela, where there is a pousada in a castle on the hill and then on minor roads to Barreiro.

The towns on this side of the river near Lisbon are not very scenic, but have a lot of huge apts., cars, busy roads. I wouldn't want to walk through a lot of those places. The national highways (undivided, the N routes) take a lot of traffic in this area, not like in other parts of the country. This has become especially true since the recession and many people looking to avoid tolls. You will also have the divided highways to deal with. Good luck with this part of the trip!

You might also want to know that there is a good commuter rail line system. You can see the map here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertagus

If things get too crazy and hectic walking in this area, that's always a good option. They run frequently at least during the work week.

Hope your inflammation is subsiding, my bet is that it has to do with all the asphalt. Ice works wonders! Bom caminho, Laurie

Further to Laurie's last post if you walk from Setubel to Palmela there is a wonderful Order of Santiago chapel within the pousada/castle complex. Don't miss it. Give the delightful carved scallop shells a love pat for me. Coastal views and never-ceasing wind are also superb!

Bom caminho!

Last edited:

€83,-
Day 7

I walked from Santo André to Carvalhal through Melides.
Santo André -> Melides: about 14/15 km (from Bombeiros station)
Melides -> Carvalhas: about 20 km
So a total of 34/35 km.

I started at 7:30 and arrived in Melides by about 11:00.
I found a bed and breakfast there:

Maria Mar
www.surfincomporta.com
+351 962 475 961
+352 967 566 192
So, it is to be verified as the door was closed.

I didn't enter Melides, there is may be something else.

I had my lunch in Tia Rosa restaurant, please note that this is not a bar and they are reluctant to prepare sandwiches ...
Near the restaurant, there was a sign for an hotel, I suppose: A Serenada Enorurismo.

Now, from this restaurant (there is a milestone km 24) to Carvalhas ( milestone km 8) you will find NOTHING to drink not to mention to eat and believe me, it can be hot in the afternoon I just had a 25 cl bottle of water and it is not sufficent

The road is straight with few traffic and no shadow but easy to walk.

I arrived in Carvahal at 16:45 and directly tried to find " A Toca de Grillo" I phoned to them and there was a free room for which they requested 40 Eur ... I paid ... But it is twice the price I paid for the same room in Pensão do Dunas

Good news, it seems there is a new Alojamento Local:
Alojamento local O Avelino
Av. 18 dezembro
Carvalhal
935 740 596

Last edited:
Day 7

I walked from Santo André to Carvalhal through Melides.
Santo André -> Melides: about 14/15 km (from Bombeiros station)
Melides -> Carvalhas: about 20 km
So a total of 34/35 km.

I started at 7:30 and arrived in Melides by about 11:00.
I found a bed and breakfast there:

Maria Mar
www.surfincomporta.com
+351 962 475 961
+352 967 566 192
So, it is to be verified as the door was closed.

I didn't enter Melides, there is may be something else.

I had my lunch in Tia Rosa restaurant, please note that this is not a bar and they are reluctant to prepare sandwiches ...
Near the restaurant, there was a sign for an hotel, I suppose: A Serenada Enorurismo.

Now, from this restaurant (there is a milestone km 24) to Carvalhas ( milestone km 8) you will find NOTHING to drink not to mention to eat and believe me, it can be hot in the afternoon I just had a 25 cl bottle of water and it is not sufficent

The road is straight with few traffic and no shadow but easy to walk.

I arrived in Carvahal at 16:45 and directly tried to find " A Toca de Grillo" I phoned to them and there was a free room for which they requested 40 Eur ... I paid ... But it is twice the price I paid for the same room in Pensão do Dunas

Good news, it seems there is a new Alojamento Local:
Alojamento local O Avelino
Av. 18 dezembro
Carvalhal
935 740 596
Conques, I just looked at a map and wondered if you have been spending your days alongside the N-261 or whether the Rota Vicentina have marked some off-road paths. My feet couldn't take 34 kms on asphalt, I learned that the hard way! Bom caminho, thanks for letting us know how it's going!

Conques, I just looked at a map and wondered if you have been spending your days alongside the N-261 or whether the Rota Vicentina have marked some off-road paths. My feet couldn't take 34 kms on asphalt, I learned that the hard way! Bom caminho, thanks for letting us know how it's going!

I didn't find an alternative way. Rota Vicentina ends in Santiago do Cacem. I only found a non paved road from Santo André to milestone 34 (Carvalhas is near milestone 8) so it seems you would have to walk on asphalt for 26 km .

Day 8
Well, some information again

From Carvahal to Comporta, you will walk 8 km. After that and up to the point of embarcation (I should verify whether this word exists) there is a mere 13 km as it is situated 4 km before Troia, in Soltroia. So, 21 km to this point and please note that from Comporta you will find nothing to drink. Just get some water there if necessary.
There is a ferry every hour, cost is 4,25 Eur, travelling duration: 20 minutes (atlantic ferries)
In Setùbal, plenty of hotels. I'm in Bluecoast (youth) hostel, 18 Eur.
So, if you include the walk from Carvalhal to Soltroia, the boat travel and the walk to the hostel you will find 30 km but it's 22 km indeed.
You can walk at the side of the road, it's comfortable pine needles padded sand

I started at 8:00 (after breakfast) and was in the hostel at 14:45. Normal check in hour is 16:00 but they allowed me to enter

€83,-
Day 9

I tested for you: Setúbal -> Montijo -> Lisboa

Well, I finally made a choice!
Montijo center was only 24 km far from my location in Setubal. The Boat Terminal is 3km far from city center of Montijo. So I only had to walk 27 km to reach Lisboa after a 13 km long boat travel to cross the Rio Tejo.
Total is 40 km

There are two parts but one road: N252.

From Setubal to Pinhal Novo. It's a busy road you have to walk on for 13 km. You have to be cautious and it is noisy.
When you reach Pinhal Novo, all traffic signals are sending you to a bridge over the railway. Don't follow them, just continue straight and you will have the choice between a staircase and ... a lift (!) to get under the railway
Just after you will be on a beautiful place with shadow and everything you need for your lunch.
The second part is easier as there is a path near the road up to Montijo. You will fast enter the suburbs of Montijo. At milestone 0 km, just follow N5 to the center of the city and then the sign "Terminal fluvial do Seixalinho"
There is a speed boat every plain hour it seems. Cost: 3,25 Eur. It takes 20 minutes to reach Lisbon and you arrive about 1,3 km from cathédrale Sé.

From now on, I will follow the Brierley guide so Will have nothing special to report.
Oh, that's too bad ;)

Report anyway because we're enjoying your posts!!!
You gave me a lot of info for my planned (not exactly next year) walk from Tarifa to Fisterra. Thanks.

Ultreia!

€83,-
Day 9

I tested for you: Setúbal -> Montijo -> Lisboa

Well, I finally made a choice!
Montijo center was only 24 km far from my location in Setubal. The Boat Terminal is 3km far from city center of Montijo. So I only had to walk 27 km to reach Lisboa after a 13 km long boat travel to cross the Rio Tejo.
Total is 40 km

There are two parts but one road: N252.

From Setubal to Pinhal Novo. It's a busy road you have to walk on for 13 km. You have to be cautious and it is noisy.
When you reach Pinhal Novo, all traffic signals are sending you to a bridge over the railway. Don't follow them, just continue straight and you will have the choice between a staircase and ... a lift (!) to get under the railway
Just after you will be on a beautiful place with shadow and everything you need for your lunch.
The second part is easier as there is a path near the road up to Montijo. You will fast enter the suburbs of Montijo. At milestone 0 km, just follow N5 to the center of the city and then the sign "Terminal fluvial do Seixalinho"
There is a speed boat every plain hour it seems. Cost: 3,25 Eur. It takes 20 minutes to reach Lisbon and you arrive about 1,3 km from cathédrale Sé.

Thanks, Conques, and like Kinky says, we want to keep hearing from you! So glad you have made it to Lisbon and I hope you enjoy it. Are you staying in Lisbon a while or forging ahead tomorrow? Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi Conques, did you have any scary encounters with dogs on the Rota Vicentina? The official info advises caution when approaching farms, because of guard dogs. This is the only reason I'm holding back on walking this route. Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Conques, did you have any scary encounters with dogs on the Rota Vicentina? The official info advises caution when approaching farms, because of guard dogs. This is the only reason I'm holding back on walking this route. Jill

Not more on this way then on others. I walk without sticks and have had no problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
how did it go north of Lisbon? Bom caminho, Laurie

Well, it took me 19 days to reach Santiago from Lisboa. Up to Golegã, it was really boring walking amongst corn and tomatoes fields. After it was more pleasant but, there is a lot of asphalt and cobblestones and in September, it was hot! Up to Porto, you will see few peregrinos. Then more and more and when you arrive in Tui, it's full of people. Fortunately, it took me only 3 days from Tui to Santiago

Total km from Cabo: 882
Total days: 28
Average: 31.5 km/day

Well, it took me 19 days to reach Santiago from Lisboa. Up to Golegã, it was really boring walking amongst corn and tomatoes fields. After it was more pleasant but, there is a lot of asphalt and cobblestones and in September, it was hot! Up to Porto, you will see few peregrinos. Then more and more and when you arrive in Tui, it's full of people. Fortunately, it took me only 3 days from Tui to Santiago

Total km from Cabo: 882
Total days: 28
Average: 31.5 km/day
Wow, that is awesome average!!!
Congratulations :)

An unexpected (and very welcome) 6 week camino opportunity has arisen . . . So . . . I’m planning to arrive in Sagres on 1 Feb 2016 (leaving home on 29 Jan). Shall attempt to walk the Historical Way of the Rota Vicentina (rain and wind permitting at this time of the year) up to Setubal / Lisbon, bus to Fatima, walk from there to Porto, and then hug the coastline as much as possible to Padron, finally arriving in Santiago mid-March. I tend to stay offline while away, but will report back sometime! Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jill,
What a wonderful journey you have planned! Looking forward ( with envy ) to reading your future posts describing your camino.

Bom caminho!

Margaret Meredith

Sounds great! Perhaps we will meet in Santiago! Buen Camino, SY

Have a wonderful Camino Jill. I look forward to hearing about the Historical Way as I started to research the two routes (Fisherman's Way too) recently. I first wrote them off as too expensive but through a search of booking.com it would appear that there are some fairly affordable accommodations (€12-25). When my research is complete I will post the information.

I have been wavering back and forth but am thinking about during a combo of the two mid March.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
Thanks for the feedback!
I’m aiming for the following places on the Rota Vicentina.
They are the cheapest I can find online and which are open in winter.

Sagres, PuraVida Divehouse, E18
Vila do Bispo, Casa Mestre Guest House, E28
Carrapateira, Surf n Sand Hostel, E12
Arrifana, Solar dos Vales, E35
Rogil (Aljezur + 6km), Hotel Alcatruz, E36
Odeceixe, Odeceixe Hostel, E15
Sao Teotonio, Sao Teotonio Hotel, E29
Odemira, 3 x B&Bs in town [?]
Sao Luis, Casa da Tia Maria, E25
Cercal do Alentejo, Casazul M&B, E25
Vale Seco, Moinhos do Paneiro, E45
Santiago do Cacem, Guest House A Cocheira, E15
Melides, ?
Comporta, ?
Setubal (by ferry), Blue Coast Hostel, E15
Lisbon (by train)
Fatima (by bus)

Jill

Hi
Thanks for the feedback!

Melides, ?
Comporta, ?
Lisbon (by train)
Fatima (by bus)

Jill

HI
I think it is not necessary to sleep in Setúbal, when you cross by ferry to Sado river catch the bus (express=30 minutes to Oriente station) or train (https://www.fertagus.pt/pt/fertagus#!popup/1/) and sleep in Lisbon.

Comporta to Troia is very easy. If you have good legs, you can always follow the beach instead of you walk along the road.

AMSimoes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI
I think it is not necessary to sleep in Setúbal, when you cross by ferry to Sado river catch the bus (express=30 minutes to Oriente station) or train (https://www.fertagus.pt/pt/fertagus#!popup/1/) and sleep in Lisbon.

Comporta to Troia is very easy. If you have good legs, you can always follow the beach instead of you walk along the road.

AMSimoes

Hi
Thanks for the ideas. I think my progress from Santiago do Cacem to Lisbon will depend on the weather. (Rain and wind: I’m heading straight for Lisbon and the museums.) I have stayed in Lisbon several times, but have never been to Setúbal, hence the thought of an overnight there. Not sure what it’s going to be like walking from Santiago do Cacem to Troia, and whether I can find budget places to stay or not (any ideas?); maybe I’ll just want to get into Lisbon; but thanks for the thumbs up from Comporta to Troia, and I hope the sun is out so I can attempt the walk along the beach. I love Portugal, can’t wait to get back! Jill

Hi
Thanks for the ideas. I think my progress from Santiago do Cacem to Lisbon will depend on the weather. (Rain and wind: I’m heading straight for Lisbon and the museums.) I have stayed in Lisbon several times, but have never been to Setúbal, hence the thought of an overnight there. Not sure what it’s going to be like walking from Santiago do Cacem to Troia, and whether I can find budget places to stay or not (any ideas?); maybe I’ll just want to get into Lisbon; but thanks for the thumbs up from Comporta to Troia, and I hope the sun is out so I can attempt the walk along the beach. I love Portugal, can’t wait to get back! Jill

• Hi Jill
Setubal is not particularly beautiful (just Jesus Church). The most beautiful part is the Serra da Arrábida. It has a great grilled fish.
AMSimoes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jill,
From Setubel walk 6k north to the castle of Palmela which is now an elegant pousada and includes a tiny, splendid Santiago chapel complete with incrusted shells. Don't miss it!

Palmela and its castle served as the headquarters of the Knights of Santiago, who were the "owners" of the Alentejo. Many towns and villages of the Alentejo have churches dedicated to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Rota de Vicentina (Historical Route) last April and really enjoyed it. Here are a some other good places to stay.
Arrifana, Pousades de Juventude (youth hostel) Email arrifana@movijovem.pt... Lovely overlooking the sea. i didnt write the cost down, i dont think it was much.
Odeceixe, Casa Hospedes Celeste, 20e includes breakfast. Run by a lovely lady who walked the Camino years ago and has a book that she has been collecting the signatures of Camino walkers in for years.
Odemira, Residencial Rita, 22.50 includes breakfast.

Buen Camino, Judy.

I walked the Rota de Vicentina (Historical Route) last April and really enjoyed it. Here are a some other good places to stay.
Arrifana, Pousades de Juventude (youth hostel) Email arrifana@movijovem.pt... Lovely overlooking the sea. i didnt write the cost down, i dont think it was much.
Odeceixe, Casa Hospedes Celeste, 20e includes breakfast. Run by a lovely lady who walked the Camino years ago and has a book that she has been collecting the signatures of Camino walkers in for years.
Odemira, Residencial Rita, 22.50 includes breakfast.

Buen Camino, Judy.
I walked from Arrifana beach to Santiago do Cacem last Sept/Oct. on both the Fisherman's and Historical trail. We also stayed at Casa Hospedes Celeste in Odeceixe. What a great little lady and host!

€83,-
This question is diected at those who have walked both the Fisherman's and the Historical Trail: if I could do only one which should it be?

Depending on my stages (might do 2 in one when short) I might be able to swing both: walk Santiago do Cacem down to Odeceixe then bus back up to Covo Novo to continue south along the Coast till Cabo or Sagres.

Wonder how Jill @jsalt is doing...

To
@petitewalker @Conques @marjude @jsalt and anyone else who has walked the Fisherman's and Historical Trails.

I am putting together potential stages and am planning on combining a few of them as they are short. Plus at times in order to save time or to avoid expensive accommodations (for me above €20-25).

What do you guys think of these?
(before everyone jumps on me and says DON'T, I often walk 35+ km stages and don't mind doing around 40).

Historical Trail
1) Santiago do Cacém - Vale Seco (cheapest acc. €45) - Cercal do Alentejo
41 km
2) Cercal do Alentejo - São Luis 21 km
3) São Luis - Odemira 25 km
4) Odemira - São Teotinio - Odeceixe
36 km

Travel bus Odeceixe to Porto Covo

Fisherman's Trail
5) Porto Covo - Vila Nova de Milfontes
20 km
6) Vila Nova de Milfontes - Almograve - Zambujeira do Mar 37 km
7) Zambujeira - Odeceixe 18 km
8) Odeceixe - Aljezur 18 km
OR
7) Zambujeira - Odeceixe - Aljezur 36 km
8) Aljezur - Carrapateira 36 km
9) Carrapateira - Vila do Bispo 22 km
(friend leaves nearby)
10) Cabo de São Vicente 12 km and visit Sagres.

So walking about 10 or 11 days.

Caveat: I read that a few of the stages on the Fisherman's Way have loose sand making for difficult walking which means a 36 km stage might not be ideal.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers
LT

Oh, lucky you. I know a lot of these places and will have to hunt through my notes to see if I have any info that can help you, but one thing that jumps out at me is that when you are in Vila Nova de Milfontes, do not miss the restaurant down on the beach, kind of on stilts. Amazing sunset views, great grilled fish, not pricey.

And p.s., if you happen to be spending the night in Santiago do Cacem, I´d highly recommend a visit to its church with a Santiago statue, and also if you can get there, the roman ruins outside town are really nice. It's a whole village that has been partially uncovered, great museums, I think the name is Miróbriga, but I'll check on that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Aurelio. Maybe this designation will spur more action to connect the Rota Vicentina to the Caminho from Lisboa. The distance is surely not that great, from Santiago de Cacem to Lisbon (less than 150 km), and it would likely involve some ferry rides. I guess this means I'm not a purist, since the Rota Vicentina makes no claim to being part of an ancient Camino, but I do think having a route from one tip of Portugal to the other would be really attractive for many.

Thanks, Aurelio. Maybe this designation will spur more action to connect the Rota Vicentina to the Caminho from Lisboa. The distance is surely not that great, from Santiago de Cacem to Lisbon (less than 150 km), and it would likely involve some ferry rides. I guess this means I'm not a purist, since the Rota Vicentina makes no claim to being part of an ancient Camino, but I do think having a route from one tip of Portugal to the other would be really attractive for many.

Me for one! My husband I are planning/hoping to walk from the Cap to Santiago in Autumn 2017. We fell in love with Lisboa (loved your walking tour!) and we cant wait to return next year.

The Rota Vicentina Historical Trail, from Cabo de S. Vicente to Santiago do Cacem.
Really enjoyed it, and this is how I did it.

First, I met up with a good friend in Lisbon and we took a train to Lagos, and then a bus to Sagres on 1 Feb.

Sagres: stayed at PuraVida Divehouse, E18 in a 4-bed dorm, included breakfast. Great vibe, and the owner kindly gave us a lift the next morning to the start of the trail at Cape St Vincent.

Vila do Bispo: stayed at Casa Mestre Guest House, E28 for a twin-bed room with shared bathroom. No breakfast, but there is a fully equipped kitchen, so we did our own supper and breakfast.

Carrapateira: stayed at Surf n Sand Hostel, E12 for a bed in a dorm. The dorm was full, so they gave us a fabulous little cottage that had 3 beds, a kitchen and bathroom.

Vales: stayed at Solar dos Vales, E35 for a double room with bathroom and breakfast. They don’t have any twin-bed rooms, so my friend slept in her sleeping bag on her side of the bed, and I had the sheets and blankets on my side!

Rogil: stayed at Hotel Alcatruz, E40 for a twin bed room with bathroom and breakfast. Had a great supper at the Sweet Potato restaurant (Batata-Doce) at the very far end of town. Back at the hotel we sat by the log fire with complimentary liqueurs.

Odeceixe: I had booked the Odeceixe Hostel on booking.com, E15 for a bed in a dorm, but when we got there it was closed for renovations!! But no problem, Casa Margaride, on the same street, gave us a twin bed room for E30, with bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen. However, it was freezing cold, as there was no heating.

Sao Teotonio: stayed at Sao Teotonio Hotel, E40 for a twin bed room with bathroom and breakfast. This is not a particularly nice town, but this hotel was the best value by far.

Odemira: stayed at Residencial Rita, E50 for a twin bed room with bathroom and breakfast.

Sao Luis: stayed at Casa da Tia Maria, E25 for a single room with shared bathroom.

Cercal do Alentejo: stayed at Casazul M&B, E45 for a twin bed room with bathroom and breakfast.

Vale Seco: stayed at Moinhos do Paneiro, E45 for an “economy twin bed room” with bathroom and breakfast. This turned out to be the kids’ room (i.e. bunk beds) in a family cottage, which was occupied by other guests, so we upgraded to our own cottage. There is nowhere else to stay in this area.

Santiago do Cacem: stayed at Guest House A Cocheira, E15 for a dorm bed. No heating.

From here we took the bus to Troia, the ferry to Setubal, a bus to Lisbon, and a bus to Fatima, where we started walking again. Arrived in Santiago de Compostela on 12 March.

Happy to answer any questions!

Jill

Caveat: I read that a few of the stages on the Fisherman's Way have loose sand making for difficult walking which means a 36 km stage might not be ideal.

Hi, we met a few people coming the other way who were walking parts of the Fisherman’s Trail, and they ALL said that the loose sand made it really hard going in places . . . . but the stunning scenery made up for it! Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @jsalt
I ended up doing:
Santiago do Cacém - Cercal do Alentejo - Porto Covo - Vila Nova de Milfontes - Zambujeira do Mar - Odeceixe - Arrifana - Cappeteira - Vila do Bisbo - Cabo de São Vicente.
The Fisherman's Way was just spectacular! Harder than the Norte from Irún to Bilbao due to ups and downs plus soft sand but well worth the effort. I met a lovely Italian in Vila Nova de Milfontes and we walked to the Cabo together, otherwise no one walking from North to South.
We crossed 4 Dutch ladies and 2 Germany couples walking South to North but that was it.
After finishing I stayed with a friend in Raposeira, just a 3 km walk from Vila do Bispo then bussed from Raposeira - Lagos - Lisbon - Porto.
I had planned to walk 4 days on the Caminho Portugês from Lisbon but when I arrived it was hailing and so jumped on the next bus leaving for Porto. Just finished day 3, tomorrow I step foot into Spain in Tui. Saturday back to Lisbon then home.
Lovely weather for 2 weeks. Sun all the way :)!

Hi everyone

Next time, before moving on towards Lisbon on bus/train, please consider to restart your walk at Palmela, the old headquarters of Military Order of Santiago in Portugal (near Setúbal). Besides an historial place, with a great castle, it's a very nice town to visit. After Palmela, meanwhile, there's also an alternative of 10 km walking near Coina river. You can see it on this map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zT0KuOZizBkg.k2XTPbDA-n-g

@peregrina2000 Hi Laurie and other potential Rota Vicentina walkers. As I didn't end up continuing the 'Live' thread I will post some information here. Laurie - if you want to move the info back to the 'live' thread which I guess you started for me that is fine too.

General remarks:

- The Fisherman's Way is spectacular! It has the most beautiful, untouched, savage coastline that I have ever seen.
- Signage is excellent along the Fisherman's way (Porto Covo - Odexeice) and very good along the Historical Way - at least the part that I completed (Santiago do Cacém - Cercal do Alentejo and Odexeice - Cabo do Vicente).
- The Fisherman's Way is not for those afraid of heights or who are allergic to walking in soft sand.
- The Fisherman's Way is comparable to the Norte from Irún to Bilbao with all the ups and downs but more difficult as you will, at times, be walking for hours in soft sand.
- Inexpensive (<€20) accommodations can usually be found along the Fisherman's Way (Surfers hostels), less so along the Historical Way at this time.
- Do not expect to see many if any walkers. We saw 6 along the Fisherman's Walk (2 German couples and one Dutch) and 2 along the Historical Way (Dutch). In Capo de Vicente we met an Australian who had just finished 2 weeks on the Via Algarviana and was starting the Rota Vicentina. You will see in parts a few days walkers. More are going South to North than North to South - which I did as I was walking towards a friend's house. I also liked having the sun in my face vs. on my back.
- No map or guide needed. I didn't have anything and did just fine.
- Made all reservations through booking.com but it was not necessary this time of year. In the summer definately when all the surfers com.
- Bus Lisbon Airport to Sete Rios bus station €3.50.
- Bus Sete Rios - Santiago do Cacém (2 hours) with Rede Expressos €13.30 (bought online).
- Bus Lagos - Lisbon €20

Stages:

Hostel Santiago do Cacém: Guest House A Cocheira €15
In historical part of town not far from the Igreja. Run by a Dutch couple. As I was the only one and it was cold at night they gave me a private room with sheets and towels (with electrical heater) for the same price as a bed in a dorm.

Historical Trail:
1) Santiago do Cacém- (Vale Seco 18 km) - Cercal do Alentejo 41 km
Only a casa rural in Vale Seco.
Casazul M & B €25 . More a hotel as had a private room and bath with a terrace.

Trail connecting the Historical and Fisherman's Way:
2) Cercal - Porto Covo 18 km
Ahoy Porto Covo Hostel €16
Nicolão the owner is lovely, so is his hostel. He runs it by himself, started 2 years ago. He is from the area and has walked the route so can tell you all the ins and outs. It officially doesn't open till 15.00 but he let me in early and sat down with me, pulled out the map of the Rota Vicentina and gave me lots of tips.
3) Porto Covo -Vila Nova de Milfontes 20 km (lots of sand!)
Hostel: Hike & Surf Lodge €18. surf.lodge@gmail.com
4) Vila Nova - Almograve (15 km) - Zambujeira do Mar 37 km (more sand!)
Hostel: Hakuna Matata €15
5) Zambujeira - Odeceixe 18 km
Hostel: Hostel Seixe, Rua Nova 17 a (can't reserve through booking) €15
A bit of a mess but a single room (with 2 twin beds). Shared bathroom.
I found Odeceixe a bit depressing and the route into town not terribly inspiring. Had a nice crema de mariscos though.

In Odeceixe the Fisherman's Trail joins the Historical Trail.

6) Odeceixe - Aljezur (15 km) -Arrifana 30 km + 10 km (mistake by taking the wrong GR signs and walked inland along the Via Algarviana). Watch out when leaving Aljezur!
Hostel: youth hostel - Pousade de Juventude €13.00.
Incredible place - modern, new, sheets, towels, complementary shampoo. A bargain for the price.
7) Arrifana - Cappeteira 24 km
Surf & Sand Lodge €12
I stayed with a friend who picked me up and brought me back the following morning
8) Cappeteira - Vila do Bisbo 22 km -(Raposeira)
I stayed at a friend's house in Raposeira just 3 km from Vila do Bisbo.
Walking companion stayed at the Guesthouse in the middle of town. I believe that it was €20-25
9) (Raposeira) - Vila do Bisbo - Cabo de São Vicente 14 km
Didn't sleep here but there is a hostel Pura Vida Dive House in Sagres €20
DO NOT walk into Sagres, road is dangerous.

That's it I believe. Afterwards I took a bus up to Lisbon then on to Porto to walk 4 days along the Caminho Portugues Central (Porto - Tui). It was hailing when I arrived in Lisbon that is why I took the next bus out of the city. I enjoyed wonderful weather up North. The first two days were asphalt and cobblestones, often along dangerous roads without sidewalks. I was starting to wonder why anyone would want to walk this Caminho. Luckily the third and fourth day were beter with less asphalt but still more than I like. And I did have the pleasure of meeting and staying with Fernanda at Casa Fernanda. What a lovely woman, as well as her husband Jacinto.

Hello,
In this thread, many say that the Fisherman's Way is spectacular, etc.... but what about the Historical Way ? Is it also nice or rather boring ? What is it like ? Why is it called the Historical Way ? I would be very grateful if someone could describe it objectfully.
Thanks a lot

Hello,
In this thread, many say that the Fisherman's Way is spectacular, etc.... but what about the Historical Way ? Is it also nice or rather boring ? What is it like ? Why is it called the Historical Way ? I would be very grateful if someone could describe it objectfully.
Thanks a lot

Hi
This route seeks to re-establish the old trail that would have been used by pilgrims, travellers and locals on their journeys throughout the region. We learn its history from the fountains, churches, old country houses, the villages, the legends and the stories heard along the way.

Hi
This route seeks to re-establish the old trail that would have been used by pilgrims, travellers and locals on their journeys throughout the region. We learn its history from the fountains, churches, old country houses, the villages, the legends and the stories heard along the way.

Thanks a lot amsimoes for your answer. Also, what is the coutryside like on the historical trail ? Is it green ? urban ? hilly ?
Have you done both the trails ?
Barbara

@Barbara06 I have done the stretch Santiago do Cacém to Cercal do Alentejo and then from Odeceixe to the Cabo. The 3 or so days in between I didn't as there are no albergue type accommodations.

What I experienced were hills, green fields, little towns and very little asphalt. On both the routes they have done an EXCELLENT job of marking the route and keeping away from roads.

This area is VERY underdeveloped. The Fisherman's Way seems to be more walked, maybe due to the amazing coastline.

Don't expect much history or culture on either routes - you go for the nature.

Last edited:
@Barbara06 I have done the stretch Santiago do Cacém to Cercal do Alentejo and then from Odeceixe to the Cabo. The 3 or so days in between I didn't as there are no albergue type accommodations.
What I experienced were hills, green fields, little towns and very little asphalt. On both the routes they have done an EXCELLENT job of marking the route and keeping away from roads.
This area is VERY underdeveloped. The Fisherman's Way seems to be more walked, maybe due to the amazing coastline.
Don't expect much history or culture on either routes - you go for the nature.

Thanks so much LTfit for your answer.
Do you mean that you didn't walk in between Cercal do Alentejo and Odeceixe because there are no albergue type accommodations ? In that case what did you do ? you took the fisherman's way instead just for that stretch ?
Would you say it is easier to find albergue type accommodations on the fisherman's way ? is this way not too hard to walk because of the sand ? (sorry for so many questions...)

My original plan was to walk the ENTIRE Historical Way from Santiago do Cacém to Odeceixe, bus up to Porto Covo on the coast then walk the ENTIRE Fisherman's Way to Odeceixe then continue on to the Cabo. In Odeceixe they both meet.

About 2 weeks prior to leaving I found out that between Santiago and Odeceixe several stops had only a casa rural or hostel for >€30. As I was walking alone and didn't want to spend that much I decide to walk to Cercal de Alentejo - 2 stages in one (41 km) - then walk a short stage to Porto Covo (18 km). This is signed route that crosses over to the coast.

Along the Fisherman's way there are hostels at the end of each stage geared towards surfers. In general upscale - all with sheets and towels.

I can't give you advice regarding difficulty as I don't have a problem walking long stages or ups and downs but let's just say that it is definitely challenging in parts with lots of soft sand. Maybe that's why the stages are short.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks a lot amsimoes for your answer. Also, what is the coutryside like on the historical trail ? Is it green ? urban ? hilly ?
Have you done both the trails ?
Barbara
Hi Barbara, here are some recent photos from the Historical Trail. I hope they help to show what the countryside is like. Some days are through forests with lots of ascents and descents, and no facilities at all for 20 kms or so between towns. I loved the scenery the first week from the Cape going north. It's not so interesting the second week into Santiago do Cacem, but still a lovely walk. Very well marked the whole way. Jill
024ViladoBispo.jpg 053Signpost.jpg 080Canal.jpg 114Odeceixe.jpg 149NearSaoLuis.jpg

Since the captions are missing I'll try to fill in.
Top picture square in Vila do Bispo
Second speaks for itself.
Third the stage leaving Odeceixe where you follow a canal for almost 18 km - don't be fooled it was the only flat day.
Fourth Odeceixe
Last unsure.

When I get my act together and download my 500+ pictures from my phone to my computer I will post pics of both routes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, the last photo is between Odemira and Sao Luis. 25 kms and rated “somewhat difficult” by the official guide book. No refreshments en route, so we took packed lunches. My journal reads: “Up and down quite a lot, views across the countryside, cork woods, eucalyptus plantations, a lovely stretch along the river. No other hikers, or even people, just 2 cyclists coming the other way. Just as we were thinking of stopping for lunch a picnic table appeared by a bridge over the river – the only one the whole day! Finally approached Sao Luis and we could hear loud music – it was Carnival Day!” (9 Feb 2016). Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great, wonderful, beautiful pictures. That western coast of Portugal south of Lisbon is really something. So much nicer, IMO, than the Algarve, even though both are on the Atlantic. Name your favorite town/s, please, :). Always looking for a nice base for a couple of days, and being able to do day hikes on this Rota would be a really nice way to spend the time.

And LT, sorry to hijack this thread, but when are you starting your walk? I keep getting confused. I am mildly optimistic that K1 and I will get a face to face this year! Even if my knee falls apart, my ticket home isn't till July 7. Buen camino, Laurie

I am mildly optimistic that K1 and I will get a face to face this year! Even if my knee falls apart, my ticket home isn't till July 7. Buen camino, Laurie
That could quite easily happen, Laurie. I bought my tickets two days ago and will start on May 18th from Bayonne. Plan is to be in Santiago on July 4th the earliest :)

K1

Hi
Thanks for the feedback!

Melides, ?
Comporta, ?
Lisbon (by train)
Fatima (by bus)

Jill
SO EXCITED about following your travels on this route!!!!!!
Hugs!!!!

Wonder how Jill @jsalt is doing...

To
@petitewalker @Conques @marjude @jsalt and anyone else who has walked the Fisherman's and Historical Trails.

I am putting together potential stages and am planning on combining a few of them as they are short. Plus at times in order to save time or to avoid expensive accommodations (for me above €20-25).

What do you guys think of these?
(before everyone jumps on me and says DON'T, I often walk 35+ km stages and don't mind doing around 40).

Historical Trail
1) Santiago do Cacém - Vale Seco (cheapest acc. €45) - Cercal do Alentejo
41 km
2) Cercal do Alentejo - São Luis 21 km
3) São Luis - Odemira 25 km
4) Odemira - São Teotinio - Odeceixe
36 km

Travel bus Odeceixe to Porto Covo

Fisherman's Trail
5) Porto Covo - Vila Nova de Milfontes
20 km
6) Vila Nova de Milfontes - Almograve - Zambujeira do Mar 37 km
7) Zambujeira - Odeceixe 18 km
8) Odeceixe - Aljezur 18 km
OR
7) Zambujeira - Odeceixe - Aljezur 36 km
8) Aljezur - Carrapateira 36 km
9) Carrapateira - Vila do Bispo 22 km
(friend leaves nearby)
10) Cabo de São Vicente 12 km and visit Sagres.

So walking about 10 or 11 days.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers
LT
A MILLION LIKES!!!!!!
I wish there was a way to make this post a new thread of its own, it seems hidden among a bunch of gems all sparkling with information.
Huge thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts, experiences and plans!

A MILLION LIKES!!!!!!
I wish there was a way to make this post a new thread of its own, it seems hidden among a bunch of gems all sparkling with information.
Huge thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts, experiences and plans!

You are welcome! I did in fact end up doing the those stages except that I crossed over to the coast on day 2 walking from Cercal do Alentejo to Porto Como and followed the coastline south.

p.s. I just went through the thread and had fun looking through some of my pictures :)

Last edited:
Thanks to all for all the pictures and information :).. I had somewhat missed out on this thread :rolleyes:
Very useful as still on my to do list

Fwiw, this our blog:
http://rotavicentinablog.wordpress.com
At the end of each day’s post we put notes about our accommodations. We will be posting some suggestions soon for a couple route adjustments we might make if doing the route again. Hope someone can find this helpful. (Of course, contrary to the thread title, we went north to south like the guidebook reads)

Last edited:
Greetings to all who have walked this route!
My wife and I are in the planning stages to walk the Caminho Portugues in 2020, and this Rota Vicentina is tempting.
My query is: has there been any update on how to get from Santiago do Cacém to Lisbon?
Bom Caminho
Andrew

Greetings to all who have walked this route!
My wife and I are in the planning stages to walk the Caminho Portugues in 2020, and this Rota Vicentina is tempting.
My query is: has there been any update on how to get from Santiago do Cacém to Lisbon?
Bom Caminho
Andrew

Hi, AJ,
No fair! Annother epic walk in your future!

Using my new wikiloc premium account, :) I was able to search for trails passing through both places. Most are for cyclists, but I did find one walking trail. This one goes up the Troia peninsula and then takes a boat over to Setubal. Looks like it avoids a lot of the built-up heavily trafficked areas, but I am not sure how you would get over the April 25 bridge! I suppose you could make your way to Cacilhas and take the ferry. In fact,I think maybe there was some forum chatter about that, I will check it out. Laurie

P.s. have you seen this thread? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-lagos-to-lisbon-to-santiago.9916/#post-68779

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, AJ,
No fair! Annother epic walk in your future!

Using my new wikiloc premium account, :) I was able to search for trails passing through both places. Most are for cyclists, but I did find one walking trail. This one goes up the Troia peninsula and then takes a boat over to Setubal. Looks like it avoids a lot of the built-up heavily trafficked areas, but I am not sure how you would get over the April 25 bridge! I suppose you could make your way to Cacilhas and take the ferry. In fact,I think maybe there was some forum chatter about that, I will check it out. Laurie

P.s. have you seen this thread? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-lagos-to-lisbon-to-santiago.9916/#post-68779

Hello Laurie,
I don't think this one will be as epic as the last one... :)
As this in the very early stages of planning, we're exploring options. As you know, I am not walking alone :)
It does indeed look like a ferry to get across the Tejo is the way to do it, from Cacilhas to Cais do Sodré, or from Porto Brandão to Belem.
Thank you for the wikiloc reference and the forum thread: it's great info, as always. You're a legend!
Bom Caminho!
Andrew

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back