• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From California to Camino! Starting June 1st, 2015 :)

Josie86

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Well, that's it! I've decided that THIS is the year. I WILL be setting off to walk the Camino Frances this summer. I have been flirting with the idea for a little over 3 years now and just decided two days ago that despite my travel buddy backing out, I'm going to go anyway! I would have loved to be able to go during the late spring, but I am a teacher and therefore it is impossible to leave my students for the amount of time needed to complete this pilgrimage.... busy Summer time will have to do :p haha.

Okay, now the stressful part.... planning for the Camino. I don't want to wait to long to start planning but I am sooooo busy as well. I am finishing my MsEd program in three weeks, the CAHSEE is in mid-march (I teach 10th grade English :)), and then we go right into my commencement ceremony, finals for the HS, graduation for the HS and then BAM! it's Camino time.

Besides announcing my trip, I wanted to create this thread as a way of being able to ask all of the 1,894,521 questions that I am sure I will have over the next few months. All advice, suggestions, and whatnot are welcome! :)

Okay let me start the bombardment....

1.) Anyone travelling during the same dates? I will be leaving from California on May 29th. Planning to arrive in Paris early morning on the 30th and hang out for a tad bit before hoping on a flight to Biarritz either late afternoon on the 30th or early am on the 31st. Then, catch a train to SJPP and hoping that I arrive in SJPP not too late on the 31st. Obviously, I will be booking flights in advance but is it very difficult to get train tickets in Biarritz? I have never been on a train or at a train station so I don't really know what to expect. Is this something that I should also book in advance or can I just buy it when I'm there? Is there a significant price difference? I really would rather not be on a tight schedule.

2.) I plan on walking from about the 1st or so of June through the 5th or 6th of July (roughly 35 days). I want to average about 15 miles a day but plan to have 5-7 days where I kick it up to 20+ miles so that I can have the luxury of spending extra time in a city should I feel so inclined. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I hike here in California but nothing extensive.

3.) On that note, I plan on starting a Camino prep training plan. I will start with just long walks back-to-back-to-back-to-back to get the feel for walking when sore and tired. Once I decided on the backpack I will purchase and travel with, I'll start walking/hiking with it. Will this type of training suffice or should I throw in some trail running?

4.) Backpacks..... bleh! With so many options, my head begins to spin. Ladies out there.... your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Backpacks... and most equipment in general are always sort of awkward on me. I am pretty petite. At 5'2" and about 125lbs EVERYTHING is always too big. The only real must-have and non-negotiable for me on the backpack is that it have a bladder compartment. I really like having access to water at my shoulder haha. What suggestions do the ladies have in terms of which backpack to purchase (men, you too, if you've done research for the ladies! haha)?

5.) Since I will be travelling alone, should I plan the cities I want to stop in and where I want to stay each night? Is there a resource I can look over of people who have done the Camino Frances in about the same amount of time? Is there one you particularly love?

6.) If you want to share your comprehensive list of what was in your gear pack... I'd love to read it! :) Share on!

Well, that wasn't quite 1,894,521 questions .... but I'm sure that between now and the end of May, I will have plenty more!

Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to offer. :) My first period class is waiting behind the locked door... I guess I should go open it! :p Have a great day!

- Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew into Paris on my first Camino and then took the train to SJPdP with train changes in Bordeaux and Bayonne. Bayonne and Biarritz are very close to each other and I believe you will need to take a taxi or bus from the airport to the train station. I know last year the train was not running from Bayonne (Biarritz) to SJPdP due to track maintenance and pilgrims were getting there via bus or taxi. Don't know if the tracks have been repaired by now.
I would guess most pilgrims average about 25 kilometers (15-16 miles) a day. How far you will average is up to you, your physical condition, weather, etc, or just plain how far you feel like walking on a particular day. Get a guidebook and make a rough plan or itinerary, but by no means etch that in stone. Your plans can easily change once you begin your Camino walk. Lot's of guidebooks available. You will get a lot of varied opinions on them as far as which is better. Most first time pilgrims use the Brierley guidebook. It works. It's pretty simple and has good maps and shows what's available in the towns in the way of albergues, hotels, etc. Also covers the populations of the towns, sights to see, places of interest, etc. It's a no brainer.
As far as packs and what to bring, you will get a ton of different opinions on that was well. All I can say is that since you are doing a summertime Camino, bring as little as possible. Northern Spain is neither freezing cold or brutally hot at that time of year. I wore a t-shirt and shorts everyday on both my Caminos. I thought the weather was perfect, though there are some on here that say otherwise. One thing for sure, you do need to stay hydrated and lots of places to get water along the Way. Wear a hat, too.
I would say you could easily walk your Camino with a pack no bigger than about 32 liters. You really don't need that much stuff.

my wife and I live in Temecula. We have been hiking every weekend up at the Santa Rosa Plateau. it's gorgeous, and the terrain is varied, so you get a bit of a workout while training. It's a bit of a drive for you, but thought I would share the option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum, Josie. First off, I can tell you that I also started off with a water bladder in my Osprey Exos, but I soon discarded it - I found that I tended to carry more water than I needed (extra weight) and it was a nuisance having to flush it every few days with the recommended cleaning tablet solution. Fortunately I had a water bottle with a hole in the cap and, using an 'S' hook (a carabiner will do too) I was able to hook my water bottle onto the strap of my pack - easily accessible while I was walking without having to take my pack off.

Be sure you go to a reputable outdoor store and get properly fitted with a pack. Many packs come in S, M, and L (lengths) and some still are specifically designed for women.

Happy planning!

Welcome Josie!

Hi Josie,
Just an input from a fellow fiver footer :) While the ladies packs work for many, if they don't fit or feel right check out some of the small guys packs. I had really good luck with that and found my hiking buddy that way. I ended up with a Sitka bow/hunting hiking pack, weird, but it was the only pack that fit!
We will be hiking the same time this year- maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm starting in Madrid.
Have fun planning!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
my wife and I live in Temecula. We have been hiking every weekend up at the Santa Rosa Plateau. it's gorgeous, and the terrain is varied, so you get a bit of a workout while training. It's a bit of a drive for you, but thought I would share the option.

Murrieta and Temecula are actually pretty close to me. I usually hike in the Corona area of the Cleaveland National Forest or out in the Rancho/Claremont area since I am familiar with those trails. I will definitely look into getting some training in Murrieta/Temecula as well now! Thanks for that suggestion! :)

josie, it's either $3 or $4 per per person to use the park. If you walk all the time, it's cheaper to pay $40 for the household for the yearly pass.
FYI. maybe we'll run into you out there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh the horror, Jose 86, 6 questions with subquestions. There is no way the veterans will be able to tell you all these 6 exponant 6= ?????questions have already been answered in a simple thread you could search for by typing 6ala6 ;0)

I will just give you my 2cents about water and how to carry it. It is heavy. On my 1st Camino, on CF in May-June, I carried water bottles, one of each side of my backpack. After drinking from one until empty and then the other, day after day after day, I really hurt myself and could no longer put a foot in front of the other, or a thigh in front of the other.

So since then I have been walking with a Camelback system: a bit of a pain to fill up again, water gets warm, but no pain that would put an end to my walk. Plus, when you carry bottles on the side of your backpack, with most bags, you cannot access it unless a walking buddy hands it to you and puts it back. So think of a front backpack strap holder - can easily be homemade. It may be a question of spreading your resources around, and always planning on what you will need until you reach the next watering hole. I know last month I saw a website that showed each of them, but can no longer located. If anyone knows about it ...

Have a fabulous time!

Welcome Josie. I'm sure you'll get everything all sorted out and have a great time. There should be an REI somewhere near you and the folks there can help you choose a backpack that will fit you properly. Osprey is one brand that has different sizes of bladders and I am sure others. I'm using a 1.5 liter bladder as there is amble opportunity for refill along the way.

Hi Josie. I am leaving California on May 27th --- from San Jose to Madrid to Pamplona (overnight) then to St Jean on the 29th. I'm heading to Orisson on the 30th and then on to Roncesvalles on the 31st. We may run into each other along the way.

I have been lurking on this site for months -- soaking up tons of information about every aspect of this venture. I'm also walking on my own and the folks on this forum have made me feel confident and ready for this amazing adventure. So, thanks to all you experienced posters!!

I too am training -- and will visit REI for my pack fitting next week. Have a great time planning your adventure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, that's it! I've decided that THIS is the year. I WILL be setting off to walk the Camino Frances this summer. I have been flirting with the idea for a little over 3 years now and just decided two days ago that despite my travel buddy backing out, I'm going to go anyway! I would have loved to be able to go during the late spring, but I am a teacher and therefore it is impossible to leave my students for the amount of time needed to complete this pilgrimage.... busy Summer time will have to do :p haha.

Okay, now the stressful part.... planning for the Camino. I don't want to wait to long to start planning but I am sooooo busy as well. I am finishing my MsEd program in three weeks, the CAHSEE is in mid-march (I teach 10th grade English :)), and then we go right into my commencement ceremony, finals for the HS, graduation for the HS and then BAM! it's Camino time.

Besides announcing my trip, I wanted to create this thread as a way of being able to ask all of the 1,894,521 questions that I am sure I will have over the next few months. All advice, suggestions, and whatnot are welcome! :)

1.) Anyone travelling during the same dates? I will be leaving from California on May 29th. Planning to arrive in Paris early morning on the 30th and hang out for a tad bit before hoping on a flight to Biarritz either late afternoon on the 30th or early am on the 31st. Then, catch a train to SJPP and hoping that I arrive in SJPP not too late on the 31st. Obviously, I will be booking flights in advance but is it very difficult to get train tickets in Biarritz? I have never been on a train or at a train station so I don't really know what to expect. Is this something that I should also book in advance or can I just buy it when I'm there? Is there a significant price difference? I really would rather not be on a tight schedule.

2.) I plan on walking from about the 1st or so of June through the 5th or 6th of July (roughly 35 days). I want to average about 15 miles a day but plan to have 5-7 days where I kick it up to 20+ miles so that I can have the luxury of spending extra time in a city should I feel so inclined. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I hike here in California but nothing extensive.

3.) On that note, I plan on starting a Camino prep training plan. I will start with just long walks back-to-back-to-back-to-back to get the feel for walking when sore and tired. Once I decided on the backpack I will purchase and travel with, I'll start walking/hiking with it. Will this type of training suffice or should I throw in some trail running?

4.) Backpacks..... bleh! With so many options, my head begins to spin. Ladies out there.... your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Backpacks... and most equipment in general are always sort of awkward on me. I am pretty petite. At 5'2" and about 125lbs EVERYTHING is always too big. The only real must-have and non-negotiable for me on the backpack is that it have a bladder compartment. I really like having access to water at my shoulder haha. What suggestions do the ladies have in terms of which backpack to purchase (men, you too, if you've done research for the ladies! haha)?

5.) Since I will be travelling alone, should I plan the cities I want to stop in and where I want to stay each night? Is there a resource I can look over of people who have done the Camino Frances in about the same amount of time? Is there one you particularly love?

6.) If you want to share your comprehensive list of what was in your gear pack... I'd love to read it! :) Share on!

Well, that wasn't quite 1,894,521 questions .... but I'm sure that between now and the end of May, I will have plenty more!

Thank you in advance for any help that you are able to offer. :) My first period class is waiting behind the locked door... I guess I should go open it! :p Have a great day!

- Jo

- Jo
So Jo,
just read your post and felt like i was listening to myself think out loud! ....except about being petite....and a female...lol I'm actually leaving from the east coast on May 30. i Am walking with my best friend, and we are arriving in SJ on the Sunday. But logistically, we're not sure what time we will get in. So it's up in the air if we are going to start on the Monday. I can't imagine we're going to hang around the extra day. ..
How much actual planning have you done? There is definatly way more planning involved than i would have ever imagined. ..

- Jo

So Jo,
just read your post and felt like i was listening to myself think out loud! ....except about being petite....and a female...lol I'm actually leaving from the east coast on May 30. i Am walking with my best friend, and we are arriving in SJ on the Sunday. But logistically, we're not sure what time we will get in. So it's up in the air if we are going to start on the Monday. I can't imagine we're going to hang around the extra day. ..
How much actual planning have you done? There is definatly way more planning involved than i would have ever imagined. ..

Rsoucy, so you teach as well? Haha or did you just mean the sudden decision to do the Camino? Haha.

My planning so far consists of trolling through this forum all day long and reading the blogs that people have shared with me haha. I'm going to try and go to REI next weekend so that I can get fitted for a pack. I keep telling myself that I'm going to start walking consistently but with work, studying for my exams, and grading my student's work, I barely have time. I really need to start though. I want to buy shoes soon too so that I can see if they'll work. Other than training, I mostly just plan on booking my flights, and hotels in Paris and SJPdP and perhaps Roncevalles since I'm planning to walk from SJPdP straight to Roncevalles. From that, I'm not trying to plan too much! Best of luck to you and your friend! Perhaps we will run into each other on the road!

Buen Camino!

Hi Josie, I fly into Madrid on the 29th of May and plan to start my first Camino in St. Jean on the 30th. I will be on of the 6' red heads you see out there!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome cabigred and Buen Camino!

Hi Josie, I fly into Madrid on the 29th of May and plan to start my first Camino in St. Jean on the 30th. I will be on of the 6' red heads you see out there!
Cabigred, haha I'm sure I'll probably run into you at some point then! At 6' compared to my 5', you'll be an easy find! I've decided to stay a day in Paris so I will be beginning a day after you but I plan on walking straight through to Roncesvalles. Will you be doing the whole Frances? Best of luck and Buen Camino!

Hi Josie, I am going to Santiago. I am taking my time and have split up some of the longer days, and am planning to stay every 7th or 8th night in a hotel and take a rest day. So Santiago not until July 8th. It will be such fun! I am staying overnight in Orisson on the 30th, so I will see you on the Camino!

Welcome, to this great forum. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome, to this great forum. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Hi Josie,
Am from British Columbia, and did the Camino last September/October. We flew to Paris, overnighted and then flew to Biarritz the next am, and took the private shuttle to SJPP and got on the trail just after 11 am (too late to be starting IMO as it was beastly hot.) We overnighted in Orisson on the first night, which I would highly recommend doing. You will meet some of your fellow walkers who you will likely run into again and again during your walk and the camaraderie is quite moving. The jet lag coming from the West Coast is something to really be considered and as has been stated many times on this forum, that is a huge push on your first day to walk from SJPP to Roncevalles which increases your chances of injury. Happy planning!!

Welcome, Josie.

Are you planning on walking 20 miles or 20 kilometers per day, on average. Remember that, in Europe, everything is measured in metrics. One mile is, what, 2.2 kilometers? So if you're planning on walking 20 miles a day, that's about 45 kilometers a day.
That's alot of kilometers!

Are you walking in order to tell others that you did it or are you walking to have adventures?
It took me 40 days to get from SJPdP to SdC. I averaged 22 kilometers a day. I stayed an extra day in three cities. I had lots of adventures.

Be careful. I learned that the Camino has a way of turning your well-laid plans topsy turvy.

You can find threads here on the forum with advice on what to pack, what not to pack, etc.

Whatever you decide to do, please plan on taking it slow and easy on your first week or so, no matter how excited and fit you feel.

You mentioned that you want to start training so you can get used to walking when you are sore or tired. Please be cautious. I advise you to not walk when you are sore or when you are tired. Walking when you are sore can possibly lead to injuries that could have been avoided and can end your Camino. Walking when you are tired can be a mental thing (good to practice for) or a physical thing (not so good). I suspect that walking when you are tired can lead you to make bad decisions (which can also end your Camino) and the Camino is loaded with decision making from day one.

Of course, there are times when you must push on - there's no albergue for another 5 kilometers, you've already started up from SJPdP and there is no turning back, it's pouring rain and you simply can't find a dry place to stop and rest for even a minute.

But train to make yourself stronger. Don't train to make yourself learn how to live with misery.

Make a mental note that you will ALWAYS:
  1. Listen to the advice of the people in the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP
  2. Stop when your body tells you that it has had enough and needs a rest, either for a few minutes or for the day.
Buen Camino

PS - I asked if you are walking to tell others you did it or if you are walking to have adventures. There's always the third possibility - you are walking it as a pilgrim (decide on your own definition of pilgrim but remember, Santiago de Campostella is the home of a Saint). I think the third option will greatly increase your chances of success.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome, Josie.

Are you planning on walking 20 miles or 20 kilometers per day, on average. Remember that, in Europe, everything is measured in metrics. One mile is, what, 2.2 kilometers? So if you're planning on walking 20 miles a day, that's about 45 kilometers a day.
That's alot of kilometers!

Are you walking in order to tell others that you did it or are you walking to have adventures?
It took me 40 days to get from SJPdP to SdC. I averaged 22 kilometers a day. I stayed an extra day in three cities. I had lots of adventures.

Be careful. I learned that the Camino has a way of turning your well-laid plans topsy turvy.

You can find threads here on the forum with advice on what to pack, what not to pack, etc.

Whatever you decide to do, please plan on taking it slow and easy on your first week or so, no matter how excited and fit you feel.

You mentioned that you want to start training so you can get used to walking when you are sore or tired. Please be cautious. I advise you to not walk when you are sore or when you are tired. Walking when you are sore can possibly lead to injuries that could have been avoided and can end your Camino. Walking when you are tired can be a mental thing (good to practice for) or a physical thing (not so good). I suspect that walking when you are tired can lead you to make bad decisions (which can also end your Camino) and the Camino is loaded with decision making from day one.

Of course, there are times when you must push on - there's no albergue for another 5 kilometers, you've already started up from SJPdP and there is no turning back, it's pouring rain and you simply can't find a dry place to stop and rest for even a minute.

But train to make yourself stronger. Don't train to make yourself learn how to live with misery.

Make a mental note that you will ALWAYS:
  1. Listen to the advice of the people in the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP
  2. Stop when your body tells you that it has had enough and needs a rest, either for a few minutes or for the day.
Buen Camino

PS - I asked if you are walking to tell others you did it or if you are walking to have adventures. There's always the third possibility - you are walking it as a pilgrim (decide on your own definition of pilgrim but remember, Santiago de Campostella is the home of a Saint). I think the third option will greatly increase your chances of success.

Weeelllll.... I want to walk an average 15mi/24km per day and I do want to have a few adventure days. I am going for the adventures and to really just enjoy the pilgrim experience - religious reasons intertwined. Mostly, I just live in a big city that is so impersonal and fast-paced - I just want to get away and have some real communication with people. I am thirsty for genuine human interaction - not the fake hustle and bustle of the city life and the workspace. I've always been so busy with work and school and it's the first time that I've actually had the free time to do it so I;m jumping at the opportunity.

My 24km pace would get me to SdC in about 32 days with no rest days but seeing as how I do want to take it slower at the beginning and have a few rest/adventure days open, I'm hoping I am able to have a few 20mi/35km days in order to get me to SdC in about 35 days. That way, I'll still have time to make it to Finisterre if I decide I want to and back to Pamplona for the San Fermin Festival. If I manage my timeline, I should still have some days to relax afterwards. I haven't planned the days after visitng the festival. I fly out of Madrid so I know I will need to eventually head over that way.

You were so right about training to get stronger and not for fatigue. I did it my way (because I'm stubborn) and injured myself last week! As the world would have it, I read your post the day after my injury. I think the heavens were pouring salt on my wound through you! :p I think that I am going to take your advice (and my body's) and train for endurance and strength rather than for fatigue. I am not in terrible shape and I still have 8 weeks before my trip - I can still get some decent training in!

Thanks for all of your advice! I can't wait to leave. I find myself daydreaming about leaving constantly! :):D

Buen Camino!

Weeelllll.... I want to walk an average 15mi/24km per day and I do want to have a few adventure days. I am going for the adventures and to really just enjoy the pilgrim experience - religious reasons intertwined. Mostly, I just live in a big city that is so impersonal and fast-paced - I just want to get away and have some real communication with people. I am thirsty for genuine human interaction - not the fake hustle and bustle of the city life and the workspace. I've always been so busy with work and school and it's the first time that I've actually had the free time to do it so I;m jumping at the opportunity.

My 24km pace would get me to SdC in about 32 days with no rest days but seeing as how I do want to take it slower at the beginning and have a few rest/adventure days open, I'm hoping I am able to have a few 20mi/35km days in order to get me to SdC in about 35 days. That way, I'll still have time to make it to Finisterre if I decide I want to and back to Pamplona for the San Fermin Festival. If I manage my timeline, I should still have some days to relax afterwards. I haven't planned the days after visitng the festival. I fly out of Madrid so I know I will need to eventually head over that way.

You were so right about training to get stronger and not for fatigue. I did it my way (because I'm stubborn) and injured myself last week! As the world would have it, I read your post the day after my injury. I think the heavens were pouring salt on my wound through you! :p I think that I am going to take your advice (and my body's) and train for endurance and strength rather than for fatigue. I am not in terrible shape and I still have 8 weeks before my trip - I can still get some decent training in!

Thanks for all of your advice! I can't wait to leave. I find myself daydreaming about leaving constantly! :):D

Buen Camino!

Rest up. I think you're going to be fine.

When I walked, I had no idea how long it would take. Try not to get mastered by a schedule. There are many experiences that you will not be able to fit into your timeline. Try to let each day happen as it will happen.

Mostly people are kind and compassionate on the Camino. However, don't be disappointed if you meet some jerks there, too.

I finally bought my train ticket for my next Camino and, now, I always have it in the back of my mind. The countdown has begun!!

I wouldn't be surprised if you pass me on the CF. :p

Buen Camino

The more and more I think about it.... the more and more I have a feeling that I'm going to fail miserably at getting to SdC in my planned number of days... and the more and more I'm okay with that.

How I wish SJPdP was just a train ride away for me! I think I am more nervous about the 11 hr flight to Paris (and the flight from Paris to Biarritz) than I am the actual journey. I hate flying. I'm hoping to take a Tylenol PM and sleep the majority of the flight LOL.

When do you start your Camino?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum fellow Califorian. All the resources you will need are on this forum. Plus the advise of pilgrims that have completed the Camino many times. My advise would be to book early. Treat yourself to a stay in Orisson on your first day. You might want to visit where Ernest Hemingway wrote "The Sun Also Rises" in Pamplona. Wear bigger shoes to allow for any foot swelling. Practice walking on rocks because most of the trails are rocky. If you don't want to carry a pack there are services in Spain that will drop off your pack at your next albergue or close to it for €7 or less. It has been my experience that private albergue seem to be better than the public ones. Take the train from Paris directly to SJPDP .
Route your journey before you leave and modify it on the Camino accordingly. Have a great journey. Buen Camino.

The more and more I think about it.... the more and more I have a feeling that I'm going to fail miserably at getting to SdC in my planned number of days... and the more and more I'm okay with that.

How I wish SJPdP was just a train ride away for me! I think I am more nervous about the 11 hr flight to Paris (and the flight from Paris to Biarritz) than I am the actual journey. I hate flying. I'm hoping to take a Tylenol PM and sleep the majority of the flight LOL.

When do you start your Camino?
Nah, you will be able to do it. Just don't get too burned out or injured trying to prepare and train for it prior.
I walked my first Camino (SJPdP to SDC) in July/August 2013 at 52 years old with no prior preparation or training. It's not as hard as some make it out to be. Just take your time, take care of yourself physically and know your limitations and it's no problem.

Haha I wish I hadn't already booked the flight!o_O:(
I took the train from Paris to SJPdP on my first Camino. It was nice, but didn't get much sleep on it. I don't regret it, but I'd probably fly down to Biarritz if I were to do it a second time using that route. Now I did enjoy the little mountain train from Bayonne to SJPdP. That was very cool.

LOL.
I was so excited, I couldn't sleep on any of the trains and hardly slept that night in SJPdP.
But it was wonderful to be on the train, surrounded by so many people with one purpose in mind - to walk the CF. The train was surprisingly quiet.

It looks like your plans are somewhat similar to ours. Three women starting the Camino on June 1st... two of us are from Northern CA and the other is from Southern CA but lives in Arizona at the moment. One will most likely be on the train with you on the way to SJPDP. The other two of us will be traveling up from Barcelona. We also plan on going back to Pamplona to enjoy the festival. I'm sure our paths will cross more than once. We plan on covering 15-20 miles a day... maybe more. Our goal is to finish July 1st. All three of us have gone years without vehicles and are constantly on our feet day in and day out so we a ready for the challenge so don't feel discouraged. We all are training very differently. I dance and am weight training and hike as well, another is walking ten miles a day and the other had been walking all over town with a pack and hiking as well. Stay active, be realistic that you are going to have very uncomfortable days, be whatever you need to keep your feet in good shape and know that everyday is going to be a different challenged as well as amazing new experiences.

Oh and about packs... all three of us are also taking different approaches to a minimalist, and experienced mcguiver type, and a super prepared/weighed out ounce by ounce. Im only taking a 28l pack and I am bringing a water bladder. I personally dont want to bring any thing extra so Im keeping it simple. I think the only adjustment for you may be the weather... I lived in the Pacific Northwest without a car so Im ready for some cool weather... and happy to be missing out on Sacramento's 100+ summer (with no water since we are in a drought lol)

- Jo
Osprey makes light weight packs for men and for women. I highly recommend that you visit a REI store in your area. They have all your Camino needs and a outstanding return policy.
Walk, walk, and walk some more. Find some steep long climbs and walk them in both directions. Walk on pavemeny, dirt, gravel, sand, mud. Train in the clothing and shoes and socks you plan to wear on your camino. Get a pack and put 10% of you body weight in it and wear it when you train.
When you start your Camimo, don't push yourself. Start out easy, walk to your level of endurance, listen you your body and take heed. You will get stronger everyday. My last Camino we did 20 kilometers a day to start and within a week we're walk up to 30. The Camino is not a foot race it's a endurance walk.
Use this forum to research your Camimo. Great information and advice from Camino experts, except Johnny Walker. He insists that the hills of Spain are gently rolling.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I think you'll find your own groove, I walked Frances in 33 days with a two day rest in Burgos.
My knee started acting up when I stepped out of the Municipal Albergue in SJPDP and hobbled to Orisson that morning, I limited the first third of my Camino to 20km days, and when my knee stopped acting up and my fitness level removed, I was able to crank out 28-32km days after that and some .
As long as you don't get injured, you should be able to finish within your 35 day window.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm also planning to start from SJPP on June 1. I will be spending the weekend before in Barcelona and taking the train to Pamplona and bus to SJPP on May 31. I'm flying out of Santiago on July 3 so I will be looking to make the journey in 26-28 days to allow extra time to walk to Finisterre. However, I still have the option of taking 32 days, so I will just see how things develop. I'm torn because I would like to make it more of a physical challenge (I'm a distance runner) but I don't want to rush and miss out on the experience and never develop a camino family. I'm hoping I will find others on a similar pace.

Urban Trekker, thank you for your advice. I have been in and out of my local REI constantly for a few weeks now! I just purchased an Osprey bag and am going to hit a trail today. I'm like a little kid wanting to try out a new toy! Haha. I'm also going To test out my trekking pokes. What is your opinion of trekking poles on the Camino? I'm a little worried about the steep downhill sections. Thanks again for your advice.

Buen Camino! :)

Stephanie M, how wonderful! I originally wanted to do this Camino after I graduated from my BA as well but as the world would have it I couldn't (or perhaps I didn't try hard enough). Congratulations on your accomplishments and I'm sure this Camino with your best friends will be an amazing experience. I feel in love with hiking and the outdoors when I was an undergraduate. I attended UCSB. Santa Barbara has such beautiful trails and even a short hike with just a bit of elevation will reward you with a beautiful Ariel view of the Santa Barbara area and the Pacific Ocean I am just finishing my MS Ed bI'll be graduating in two weeks. This is my present to myself hahaha. If not now, when, right? :p I'm sure I will at some point run into you girls! I plan on starting the first and would love to be in SdC by July 1-2 so that I can do Finisterre and/or Muxia if I want to by July 4/5 and back to Pamplona for San Fermin by the 6th. I wanted to see the opening ceremonies. However, I'm starting to lean on the notion that if o don't make it to Pamplona right on the 6th, I'll still be fine. The festival will still be happening. Are you girls planning on booking accommodations for Pamplona during San Fermin beforehand? I think I will but I'll worry about that when I'm walking through Pamplona on my Camino. Anyway, I wish you ladies the best trip ever and safe travels! Hope to run into you guys!

Buen Camino!

I'm also planning to start from SJPP on June 1. I will be spending the weekend before in Barcelona and taking the train to Pamplona and bus to SJPP on May 31. I'm flying out of Santiago on July 3 so I will be looking to make the journey in 26-28 days to allow extra time to walk to Finisterre. However, I still have the option of taking 32 days, so I will just see how things develop. I'm torn because I would like to make it more of a physical challenge (I'm a distance runner) but I don't want to rush and miss out on the experience and never develop a camino family. I'm hoping I will find others on a similar pace.

Blake 88, perhaps the challenge for you will be not to rush it! Hahaha. I'm sure you will find people who are traveling at your pace. I have a friend who did the Camino a few years ago and he made it all the way to Finisterre In 25 days! He lived his Camino experience. What he did was to start off at a more moderate pace and meet a few people and then he would do his long bouts and meet some more! He even slowed his pace a bit towards the end because he met a girl hahaha. I think he could have totally made it to Finisterre in about 20 had be really pushed haha. Follow your heart and do what it tells you! You'll be fine!

Buen Camino!

I think you'll find your own groove, I walked Frances in 33 days with a two day rest in Burgos.
My knee started acting up when I stepped out of the Municipal Albergue in SJPDP and hobbled to Orisson that morning, I limited the first third of my Camino to 20km days, and when my knee stopped acting up and my fitness level removed, I was able to crank out 28-32km days after that and some .
As long as you don't get injured, you should be able to finish within your 35 day window.
Bajaracer,

That's good to know! I would love to make it to SdC in 33 the way you did so that I could have the option of Finisterre after open before the festival de San Fermin. Being that I've never been to Spain, I really want to make the most of this trip after my Camino. I plan to check out the festival after my Camino for a day or two and then I don't leave until the 12th so I guess I'll explore as I see for at that point in time! Haha

Stephanie M, how wonderful! I originally wanted to do this Camino after I graduated from my BA as well but as the world would have it I couldn't (or perhaps I didn't try hard enough). Congratulations on your accomplishments and I'm sure this Camino with your best friends will be an amazing experience. I feel in love with hiking and the outdoors when I was an undergraduate. I attended UCSB. Santa Barbara has such beautiful trails and even a short hike with just a bit of elevation will reward you with a beautiful Ariel view of the Santa Barbara area and the Pacific Ocean I am just finishing my MS Ed bI'll be graduating in two weeks. This is my present to myself hahaha. If not now, when, right? :p I'm sure I will at some point run into you girls! I plan on starting the first and would love to be in SdC by July 1-2 so that I can do Finisterre and/or Muxia if I want to by July 4/5 and back to Pamplona for San Fermin by the 6th. I wanted to see the opening ceremonies. However, I'm starting to lean on the notion that if o don't make it to Pamplona right on the 6th, I'll still be fine. The festival will still be happening. Are you girls planning on booking accommodations for Pamplona during San Fermin beforehand? I think I will but I'll worry about that when I'm walking through Pamplona on my Camino. Anyway, I wish you ladies the best trip ever and safe travels! Hope to run into you guys!

Buen Camino!

We haven't made too many and for Pamplona yet... I did read somewhere that some people sleep outside ... Lol maybe give that a go ;) . Well hopefully our paths will cross!!!

We haven't made too many and for Pamplona yet... I did read somewhere that some people sleep outside ... Lol maybe give that a go ;) . Well hopefully our paths will cross!!!

You girls are brave! Perhaps by the time I've finished my Camino and get back to Pamplona I'll be brave too!! Yes, hopefully we'll cross paths! Until then, Buen Camino!

Can't wait!!!!

The fete is worth avoiding, room prices are sky high and the crowd is basically a rock concert mosh pit 24/7 for the entire week.
Sorry!

The fete is worth avoiding, room prices are sky high and the crowd is basically a rock concert mosh pit 24/7 for the entire week.
Sorry!
Good to know! I have always wanted to experience it though. I teach English and one of the first books I ever fell in love with and that I will be teaching next year is Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". Perhaps I'll be brave and camp one night just to check it off of the list and move on. I'm hoping to make friends along the way. I have an extra week and a half after I plan on finishing to just hang out. We'll see what I decide to get into haha.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I didn't see an answer here so:

Biarritz Airport BIQ. See the access information.
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Take Chronoplus bus #14 from the doors of Biarritz Airport to Gare Bayonne. When I went the price was 1 euro and the driver was not happy to make change to a 20 Euro note (of which I had naught else).
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Take SNCF TER #62 service (currently Autocar as tracks are still out of service) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP. You can purchase a ticket at the station or pay for it in advance and pick it up at the station. You cannot reserve a seat on TER services. The fare can be found with the schedule information. Note that the site does not recognize SJPdP as an acronym.
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

See the Gare Bayonne site for virtual recce. In particular see the picture of the station so you recognize where to get off the bus.
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne

Thank you so much!
I didn't see an answer here so:

Biarritz Airport BIQ. See the access information.
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Take Chronoplus bus #14 from the doors of Biarritz Airport to Gare Bayonne. When I went the price was 1 euro and the driver was not happy to make change to a 20 Euro note (of which I had naught else).
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Take SNCF TER #62 service (currently Autocar as tracks are still out of service) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP. You can purchase a ticket at the station or pay for it in advance and pick it up at the station. You cannot reserve a seat on TER services. The fare can be found with the schedule information. Note that the site does not recognize SJPdP as an acronym.
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine/

See the Gare Bayonne site for virtual recce. In particular see the picture of the station so you recognize where to get off the bus.
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne

Thank you so much! :)

Would anyone be kind enough to share their packing lists with me or a link to another thread where other people have shared theirs? With three weeks to go and grading/finals coming up I know these three weeks are going to go by so quickly! Or I would be happy to post what I have so far and maybe some of the veterans could let me know what I still need/don't need? Either way, thanks a million!

Buen Camino!

"The Sun Also Rises"
One of his works of fiction, right? The resulting myth also is fiction.

The festival is deeply religious at its core, with parades and masses. The devout carry on in spite of the debauchery that has evolved.

The running of the bulls, only one of hundreds in Spain, is a mixture of fools doing dangerous things, and skilled runners who know bulls and bull running. They try to keep the fools off the course, and will remove any who are noticeably incapable of safely running. Last year they arrested and heavily fined a runner who took a selfie. Ninety percent of those on the course actually try to stay away from the bulls, so it is more "hiding from the bulls." They take bragging rights for simply being on the course.

Accompanying activities like tomato and wine festivals start out festive, but the copious addition of wine and youth usually makes them quite untenable to the bulk of the participants. A girl died two years ago while crowd surfing (while drink) by jumping off a statue when no one was there to catch her. I don't think her family viewed the activities as a big, fun party. In the wee hours of the morning, those without a 350E per night room find whatever space they can, and collapse between the broken bottles and vomit. That is adventure to some, but after you have walked the Camino and viewed the landscape 20 meters into the nearby forests, your view of life in the detritus of humanity may alter your willingness to collapse in the urban filth of tens of thousands of partiers.

You can watch all the bull runs and festivities on the internet these days. You may be able to get your fill there:

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/san-fermin/encierros/

Pamplona is a fantastic city 51 weeks a year. Enjoy it then! :)

Would anyone be kind enough to share their packing lists with me or a link to another thread where other people have shared theirs? With three weeks to go and grading/finals coming up I know these three weeks are going to go by so quickly! Or I would be happy to post what I have so far and maybe some of the veterans could let me know what I still need/don't need? Either way, thanks a million!

Buen Camino!

The best way to plan your gear is by the activities you plan to engage in.

Walking in sun, wind, rain, and cold; evening wear; eating and drinking; sleeping; hygiene; luxuries that you can't live without; first aid (in particular foot care); and how you are going to carry it all around. Most of this stuff is personal choice and is driven by other travel experience.

The ideal is a brown envelope containing a spare pair of underwear.

One of his works of fiction, right? The resulting myth also is fiction.

The festival is deeply religious at its core, with parades and masses. The devout carry on in spite of the debauchery that has evolved.

The running of the bulls, only one of hundreds in Spain, is a mixture of fools doing dangerous things, and skilled runners who know bulls and bull running. They try to keep the fools off the course, and will remove any who are noticeably incapable of safely running. Last year they arrested and heavily fined a runner who took a selfie. Ninety percent of those on the course actually try to stay away from the bulls, so it is more "hiding from the bulls." They take bragging rights for simply being on the course.

Accompanying activities like tomato and wine festivals start out festive, but the copious addition of wine and youth usually makes them quite untenable to the bulk of the participants. A girl died two years ago while crowd surfing (while drink) by jumping off a statue when no one was there to catch her. I don't think her family viewed the activities as a big, fun party. In the wee hours of the morning, those without a 350E per night room find whatever space they can, and collapse between the broken bottles and vomit. That is adventure to some, but after you have walked the Camino and viewed the landscape 20 meters into the nearby forests, your view of life in the detritus of humanity may alter your willingness to collapse in the urban filth of tens of thousands of partiers.

You can watch all the bull runs and festivities on the internet these days. You may be able to get your fill there:

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/san-fermin/encierros/

Pamplona is a fantastic city 51 weeks a year. Enjoy it then! :)

Yeah, that sounds pretty awful actually! Haha.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... Or I would be happy to post what I have so far and maybe some of the veterans could let me know what I still need/don't need? Either way, thanks a million!

Buen Camino!

That might be the better option! But start a new thread for this as otherwise it might be buried in this one. Buen Camino! SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Blake 88, perhaps the challenge for you will be not to rush it! Hahaha. I'm sure you will find people who are traveling at your pace. I have a friend who did the Camino a few years ago and he made it all the way to Finisterre In 25 days! He lived his Camino experience. What he did was to start off at a more moderate pace and meet a few people and then he would do his long bouts and meet some more! He even slowed his pace a bit towards the end because he met a girl hahaha. I think he could have totally made it to Finisterre in about 20 had be really pushed haha. Follow your heart and do what it tells you! You'll be fine!

Buen Camino!

It sounds like my timeline should be just fine then. That's a good way to approach it - I will probably stick to a more traditional schedule for the first 7-10 days so I can get comfortable and then I can decide if I want to pick it up when I get closer to the Meseta. Coming from the west coast, jet lag was rough on me on a trip to Europe last summer, so I'll probably be glad to take the first part a little easier.

Are you still planning on starting on the 1st? Have you looked into reserving a bed in St. Jean? I'm trying not to overplan things but I feel like that is one I should probably book in advance just to be safe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It sounds like my timeline should be just fine then. That's a good way to approach it - I will probably stick to a more traditional schedule for the first 7-10 days so I can get comfortable and then I can decide if I want to pick it up when I get closer to the Meseta. Coming from the west coast, jet lag was rough on me on a trip to Europe last summer, so I'll probably be glad to take the first part a little easier.

Are you still planning on starting on the 1st? Have you looked into reserving a bed in St. Jean? I'm trying not to overplan things but I feel like that is one I should probably book in advance just to be safe.

You know, I'm thinking I'll actually start the 2nd. I'm gonna spend the night in Paris and rest up BC I know I'll probably be jet lagged too. How long did it take you to adjust last summer? With that being said, I'm also not planning on stopping in Orrison. My plan is to walk on through to Roncesvalles from SJPP.

Also, I did end up booking in advance for the night of the 1st. I don't think I'll book in advance from then on out but I wanted the security of knowing if have a place to rest when I arrived haha. How about you? What day are you starting?

You know, I'm thinking I'll actually start the 2nd. I'm gonna spend the night in Paris and rest up BC I know I'll probably be jet lagged too. How long did it take you to adjust last summer? With that being said, I'm also not planning on stopping in Orrison. My plan is to walk on through to Roncesvalles from SJPP.

Also, I did end up booking in advance for the night of the 1st. I don't think I'll book in advance from then on out but I wanted the security of knowing if have a place to rest when I arrived haha. How about you? What day are you starting?

It took me 2-3 days to feel normal again but I'm sure being out late the whole weekend for a bachelor party made the time adjustment more difficult than it might normally be, haha. I'm sure you will be fine by the time you start.

I'm planning to travel from Barcelona to SJPP on the 31st so I can hopefully start on the 1st, depending on how much sleep I am able to get in a Barcelona hostel over the weekend. If I'm tired or the weather looks bad on the 1st, I may decide to stay an extra day in SJPP to explore and start on the 2nd. I will be walking through to Roncesvalles on day 1 as well.

Good luck and buen camino if I don't run into you!

It took me 2-3 days to feel normal again but I'm sure being out late the whole weekend for a bachelor party made the time adjustment more difficult than it might normally be, haha. I'm sure you will be fine by the time you start.

I'm planning to travel from Barcelona to SJPP on the 31st so I can hopefully start on the 1st, depending on how much sleep I am able to get in a Barcelona hostel over the weekend. If I'm tired or the weather looks bad on the 1st, I may decide to stay an extra day in SJPP to explore and start on the 2nd. I will be walking through to Roncesvalles on day 1 as well.

Good luck and buen camino if I don't run into you!
Hahaha I sure hope I adjust by then! I hike slow so I will probably be the last hiker into Roncesvalles! Haha

Good luck and Buen Camino to you too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back