• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Caminha to Valencia (Central Route) or A Guarda (Coastal Route)

Eswee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese - Coastal (2017)
Primitivo (2019)
I am starting this thread after all the positive replies I got from my previous thread. The only problem is that I have now doubt in my mind. From Caminha, must I take the route inland to Valença (as planned) and then follow the Central route, or must I take the traditional Coastal Route via A Guarda, Oia, Mougas etc to Redondela. Please help me make up my mind. I am only starting my Camino on 7 October 2017.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only problem is that I have now doubt in my mind.

Maybe let go of the control and be flexible about which route to take.
You will be walking in the off-season, so you don’t have to book ahead.
Research all the options and decide, when you get there, where you will walk to today.
It’s very liberating :)
Jill

You can go either way, but since you started on the coastal, why move in land?

I had thought of doing this, and a past forum member very well versed on all things Camino Portugues explained that the walk to Valença would be unmarked, following major roadways. Perhpas you can find Albertinhos' posts on the topic, probably between feb and april 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am starting this thread after all the positive replies I got from my previous thread. The only problem is that I have now doubt in my mind. From Caminha, must I take the route inland to Valencia (as planned) and then follow the Central route, or must I take the traditional Coastal Route via A Guarda, Oia, Mougas etc to Redondela. Please help me make up my mind. I am only starting my Camino on 7 October 2017.
Hi again Eswee
Its your camino, there are no absolute rules so its a case of what you are looking for. I had determined a true coastal walk so had decided to follow the senda as far as possible to caminha (though some of this is inland ie Marinhas to viana) and then go a guarda, oia, baiona, vigo and rejoin inland route at redondela.
If you go this route the ferry crossing from Caminha to spain is daily ...except Mondays! Which was when i needed to cross...so I had a tricky plan b diversion by bus and train. Moral of story ...if you get to Caminha on a Sunday evening after last ferry (7pm)...stay an extra night!...there is a ferry website at http://www.caminhaturismo.pt/ver.php?cod=0E0D

I haven't done the route via Valença...although valenca is very historic and looks and sounds beautiful and I believe the inland route is better marked... although once in Galicia I found signing more consistent than it was on the Portuguese Senda stretches.
If you go via a guarda the camiha ferry meets spain at 'a pasaje'...and the indicated path is northish inland to a Guarda. Ive heard its a nicer route if you turn to your left/westwards and follow the coast round the mountain instead. There is a famous Castro site near a guarda https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...jwATAc&usg=AFQjCNGn--QSPTUy9N-djHlSoaK40ORbhQ

I missed out on this because of my diversionary antics. The port / harbour at a guarda is a good place to eat and I was offered a menu peregrino at restaurante Gaviota (7€). Oia is lovely but tiny...i stayed at casa puertas...

I am starting this thread after all the positive replies I got from my previous thread. The only problem is that I have now doubt in my mind. From Caminha, must I take the route inland to Valencia (as planned) and then follow the Central route, or must I take the traditional Coastal Route via A Guarda, Oia, Mougas etc to Redondela. Please help me make up my mind. I am only starting my Camino on 7 October 2017.
I start out from Porto early next month going along the cost to Caminha then turning inland to Valenca / Tui . My reasoning is based on the desire to see Valença / Tui. And also earlier this year in May while on Holiday in Porto I done the first 2 stages along the costal to get a feel for it and it was Beautiful but what hit me was I missed the fields / forests / rivers / hills / the little Hamlets were curious dogs and chickens come out to greet you of the Camino Frances I done last year . So that's my compromise also earlier another person mentioned in a post today that they felt lonely as it was deserted which ever you choose enjoy

Hi Eswee: Although Valenca and Tui are nice, if you decide to take the coastal route past Caminha (which would be my personal preference), here are a couple of things you may want to consider: (a) if the ferry is not running for some reason (i.e. tides) you can try walking up to the beach near the mouth of the river (about 3 kms) and ask for Mario. If he is there, he will take you across to the Spanish side for 5 euros apiece (or at least that was the going rate in summer 2016); (b) once on the Spanish side, either by ferry or other means, as noted by @stevov above, you can turn left and follow the river to the ocean and then turn north and walk along the ocean into A Guarda. On a nice day it is a beautiful walk on a good path, and was one of my favourite sections. From the ferry dock I believe that the yellow arrows will take you inland into A Guarda.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back