• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Camino to rest of Europe?

NickJames

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2013!
Hey all!

Sorry, just found this forum and was planning on walking the Camino in May/June of this year! I was also hoping to visit the rest of Europe for a month or two after I'd completed the Walk, and was wondering what some veteran Pilgrims would recommend as far as what type of backpack to bring and how much/what type of clothing for the summer months of the year (Lots of rainproof stuff, under-armour, etc.)

I would really appreciate any help or advice, and hope to see you all on the trail in 2013!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Nick,

I'm not sticking around quite as long as you (I'll only be in Europe for two months, including the camino) but here are some things I can think of:

My pack is 50L, which is generally bigger than most people carry on the camino, but not so big as to cause you any harm (as long as it's not full, at least). However, it's also big enough to bring over the non-Camino items you'll be traveling with, such as regular people clothes and shoes rather than pilgrim clothes and shoes. As far as what I'm actually bringing for the rest of my trip, I don't recommend you borrow my packing list as it's mostly light dresses!

However, one other tip I can give you (it took me way longer to find this info than it should have) is that right before you start your camino, send your extra stuff ahead because you obviously can't carry it on the camino. The Santiago post office only holds packages for 15 days before it gets tossed/destroyed. Send it all to The Pilgrim Helper, this page has all the info you need: http://pilgrimhelper.wordpress.com/luggage-storage/ Send it from Spain rather than France, it's apparently like half the price for postage.

I'll be on the trail at the same time as you, so you just might see me there! I'll be the one with the 50L pack....

Lindsey

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi there
We are travelling around Europe by train for about 4 weeks after our Camino.
We start walking in St Jean about April 20 and hopefully will be ready to move on from Santiago (first to Porto) at the end of May. We will have our Camino backpack and one relatively small case ( airport type with wheels and extendable handle) each when we get to St Jean. I have communicated with http://www.expressbourricot.com/en.html who have a service to take the cases from St Jean to 'pilgrim helper' in Santiago for 70 about euros per case
Ian

At just over 1 kg of empty weight, the

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lowe-a ... essed=true

is too large for your needs on the Camino, but it is only an ounce or two heavier than the next size down, so if you let your equipment slosh around during your pilgrimage, you should be able to fit your additional equipment inside for the remainder of your trip to Europe. Send your extra stuff to Ivar in Santiago for storage, and it will be waiting for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Does anyone know what type of backpack would be best? I'm hoping to spend a full 90 days in Europe (About 60 days after I finish the Camino), so trying to figure out what will not only allow me to carry everything I need, but wont weigh me down too much as I move across the continent. I'm a pretty big guy (Over six feet, about 215 lbs.) and pretty athletic, so carrying stuff not usually a problem, but any advice from previous Pilgrims or backpackers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm notorious for over-packing stuff I do not need and am currently looking at the Osprey Atmos 65, Osprey Fairpoint 70 or the Osprey Aether 70. Anyone know if these are suitable or would they be way to big?

Thank you so much for any help, it is truly appreciated and buen camino!

Pack what you need. Then throw out half of it.....

(everytime I return I wonder why on earth I have all these clothes)

NickJames said:
Does anyone know what type of backpack would be best? I'm hoping to spend a full 90 days in Europe (About 60 days after I finish the Camino), so trying to figure out what will not only allow me to carry everything I need, but wont weigh me down too much as I move across the continent. I'm a pretty big guy (Over six feet, about 215 lbs.) and pretty athletic, so carrying stuff not usually a problem, but any advice from previous Pilgrims or backpackers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm notorious for over-packing stuff I do not need and am currently looking at the Osprey Atmos 65, Osprey Fairpoint 70 or the Osprey Aether 70. Anyone know if these are suitable or would they be way to big?

Thank you so much for any help, it is truly appreciated and buen camino!

Your pack will be much larger than what most people carry, whichever way you go. The size isn't so much the problem - the weight you're carrying on the camino is the most important factor. So don't be tempted to fill it while on the camino! Send ahead as much as you can survive without. I'm not really one to talk as there are many things that I "can't live without" that many other pilgrims would consider luxuries...

Don't carry more than 10% of your body weight, so no more than 21 pounds - and many people would advise to carry much less than that. Most people shouldn't need more than 16-17 pounds worth of stuff on the camino. I met a guy on the camino who had a 70L Osprey pack, and while yes, it was huge, and he did look quite strange next to people carrying 25L packs, he also had months of traveling after to consider.

Osprey is a great brand, many pilgrims carry Osprey packs, so I'm sure whichever you go with will be fine, so long as it fits you properly.

Good luck!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back