• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Caminos to the GR10 (A Traverse of the Pyrenees)

nalod

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2011, Finnesterre 2011,Le Puy to SJPDP 2011& 2012,Via de la Plata,Sambrasa 2012, Mozarabe 2013, Portugees 2013.PartNorde 2011, VDPL 2014,St-Guilhem 2014.Espalion-Roncesvalles 2014.Levante2015
Hello, strictly speaking this is not probably the right forum. In April of 2011 I done my first Camino, Camino Frances then on to Finisterre. Then later last year Cahors to St Jean PDP GR10 to Irun and Bilbao, this year Via de la Plata, Muxia and Finisterre then went to Le Puy and walked to Cahors. A lot of kms.

But then I wanted something else and after walking part of gr10 last year I could not wait to back. So in mid Aug went to SJPDP and walked to Bolquere close to Med, finished the end of Srpt just about 7 days short of the Med coast. Had some commitments to come back to.

I would be interested in hearing what other Camino people who have done this felt. I found it amazing but very tough and had an amazing effect on me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: From Caminos to the GR10

I did not exactly the same thing, but something quite similar:
First experience: pilgrimage on the Camino Frances.
Followed by different caminos (Spain and France).
This year, I did a mix: first 10 stages on the Via Tolosana, then 11 stages on the GR107 from Foix(F) to Berga (E) - which was rather a mountaineous walk. I liked this too a lot.

Had some GR10 walking as well: from Merens to refuge de Bezines, and, on the next day toward Porté-Puymorens (GR7)
It was simply great!

The Pyrenees are great, gorgeous, stunning, beautiful and magnificient. And so much more...

Re: From Caminos to the GR10

Thank you its nice to get a reply, I had to google the routes you walked and they looked great would not mind doing it some day myself. The area around Merens where you finished and on to the gr7 is where I spent my last few days, just went 2 days on from Besines (whic had just closed for season but winter shelter open).

Will finish it next year and try the Spanish gr11.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nalod
I have a friend who loves walking and thinks the camino routes are too laid out (easy to follow)! What languages do you speak, what guides do you need to change off a path and go GR ing..I am 3 Caminos finished and many more to do but may like to take a "holiday" with my friend and do a mix of both. What do you suggest, I could PM you.

hola Nalod ...and Fatma

I got 'stuck' this year (March/apr) in the Alpujarras near Granada and in the Alta Marina hills in the hinterland of Valencia ... the so-called 'Moorish Trail' in the Alta marina was absolutely stunning - I was so blown away by the beauty of it I sort of forgot abt the traditional SdC routes; walking to places like Benimaurell and Castell de Castells was fantastic ..... my initial intention to get to Merida on the Via la P from Cordoba sort of got 'forgotten' Oh yes ...and calling out a loud 'cooo-eee' into the Baranco del Infierno to hear the resounding echo is not to be forgotten!

happy trails
Peter

Plenty of ways to come, to admire, to experience - indeed!
(Peter, this sounds great! - Until now, I did not think too much about the southern part of Spain, but agree I should do so!)

The GR107 is also called "chemin des bonshommes", and it retraces somehow the way the prosecuted cathars ("non-conformist" christian group - well non-conformist to the mainstream) might have taken to get off the country.
It goes constantly up and down from +- 700m heigth to 2500m; all the time in the mountains.
The whole way takes between 8 to 12 days, depending where you start, whether you take the shortest way or not and how fit you are...

As to the GRs in France, there a quite good guidebooks from the http://www.ffrandonnee.fr (fédération française de randonnée), IGN maps included. These guidebooks exist as well for the main Caminos through France.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Una Dara pm me and I will fill you in.

Unadara,
The Mozarabe route from Granada is definitely a route less traveled. We did several days of the trail until we ran into flooding and rarely saw anyone, much less pilgrims.
Also, this year we started the GR 65 route in Geneva, Switzerland. Until that route reaches LePuy, it is only lightly traveled. Of course LePuy has grown greatly in popularity in the last few years (small wonder, it's a gorgeous route.)
On both routes, accommodations are much scarcer than on Camino Frances and stages are longer (we carried a lightweight tarp just in case.) And the terrain is more rugged than on the Camino Frances, but it sounds like you and your friend are quite capable of managing that. The way marking is good on the GR65; somewhat spotty on the Mozarabe. Our Spanish is marginal and our French is terrible, but we manage to make our way wherever we go.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes Fatma I have heard of the GR107 also - it seems to me these 'bonhommes' (and 'bonnefemmes') knew a thing or two about love, life and the pursuit of happiness....!
happy trails
Peter

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back