• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino From el camino franc

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hello Forum Friends,
I was thrilled to meet Kevin and his wife at the beginning of our walk but I haven´t met any others so far. We are now half way through our camino - I can´t believe that it is passing so quickly!
Just to recap: it rained the first 3 days and I got horrible blisters on both heels. I applied Compeed and after 2 days they went all mushy and stuck to my socks. When I tried to take the socks off, several layers of skin came off with the Compeed. I thought my camino was over but by applying a healing ointment and wrapping my heels in gauze, plasters and protecting them with sponges, I was able to walk for three days in my CROC sandals. At Logrono I bought hiking sandals and have worn them every inch of the way thus far. They have been a godsend and I am actually very pleased that I have been able to wear sandals as I can take my trousers off (when it gets hot) without taking them off, and it is easier to air your feet during a stop when you have sandals on. The only drawbacks are the occaisonal stones in your shoes, very dusty socks and soles that feel somewhat bruised from all the rocks and pebbles underfoot. If you are not used to boots and wish you could walk in trainers and/or sandals, feel assured that you can.
We had a very emotional experience just outside Logrono when I gave Maria Medel the little brag book of photos of her mother, Felisa. She got quite a shock when she saw her mother´s photo on the front cover and then started crying as she turned the pages, crying over and over again, ¨Mi Madre, O mi Madre!¨ We stayed for a while sitting on the bench in front of her table and she kept kissing the pages and wiping tears away.
Just a short comment on the albergues. People often ask for advice on the best albergues along the way. My thoughts were that the newer, more modern, cleaner, brass and glass albergues is what they meant. Our experience has been that the older, smaller albergues are where pilgrims will have a more magical, spiritual experience. In Granon we climbed a steep stone staircase into the bell tower of the church where pilgrims sleep on matresses on the floor and the hospitalero cooks an evening meal for all the pilgrims. We had to sing for our supper by clapping hands and banging on the table, singing, ¨We are, we are PILGRIMS¨, in tune to Queen´s We will rock you.
In Villamjor Monjardin we slept on matresses again but felt the love and caring of Jon and Sara, hospitaleros from Vitoria who have been caring for pilgrims for 5 years.
In Tosantos we slept on the floor but had a wonderful meal and a very special pilgrim service in the attic officiated over by a young priest who has done the camino, been a hospitalero and was ordained only 2 months ago.
In San Bol - be warned! no toilets, no running water, no electricity - we slept in bunks with the resident cat choosing who to sleep with, the hospitalero cooked a wonderful meal which we ate by candlelight and went to bed with the sounds of music being played by a Spanish pilgrim. There is a healing spring next to the albergue and I´m sure my teeth will all be fine now that I have brushed them with water straight from the spring!
The weather has been very good - cool in the mornings and evenings but hot during the day so we start off with shirt, fleece, shorts and over trousers and moult by 10am. We are coping with silk sleeping liners as many of the albergues offer blankets and most have pillows.
Buen camino to all who are leaving soon to walk a camino. Be open to everything the camino has to offer. Ivar, I will contact you before we reach Santiago.
Love to all,
Sil

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi sil
I'm happy that the weather has been good to you after the first days of rain. Also that your blisters are not impeding in any way your camino. Funny how those Compeed can turn a harmless blister into a real mess. Plasters did a wonderful job on mine, too.

Good weather is forecast for a good part of next week so enjoy every moment of your camino as the days go by very quickly. My impression was that it took longer to get my equipment and prepare physically for the camino than to actually walk the 750 kms to Santiago.

Buen camino, peregrina!

Hi all,
We are now in Villadangos - about 20kms from Leon. We had a very uninspiring walk alongside a busy main road this morning to get here but that is the camino, some days are magical and others are manical! So far we have not had any problems getting beds in the albergues and even pilgrims arriving quite late (after 5pm) have been given mattresses. There did seem to be more pilgrims on the path this morning - many with nice clean boots and fresh looking clothes! I think a lot of people start in Leon so these could be the new pilgrims.
I was thrilled to meet another Forum member - Belinda from London - two days ago. She is doing the camino on her own and, I think, finding it a overwhelming. There have a been a few cases of bed bugs and some pilgrims have had to go to hospitals and doctors for treatment. Sue from Australia was devastated to have two episodes with the beastly things and she said that they are not only itchy but also painful. I think something is going to have to be done about the recurring infestations in some albergues.
Yesterday I took a few photos for the ¨Day on the Camino¨essay and will try to send them as soon as we find a place that can send photos. I´m sure the essay is going to be very interesting.
If anyone would like ón the road´info, please mail me off the forum -eg: food prices, drinks, albergues etc. I will be happy to answer.
Buen Camino to those leaving this week,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi sil! I am behind you in Santo Domingo. I´m only going 15-20 km-day & even that can be slow going. Don´t worry about sending your Sept 12 pictures. I won´t be home until Sept 29. On my stretch, the Camino is still crowded, even though I keep falling back & falling back.

I am so glad the weather is much nicer this time around. It´s making my journey a lot more spiritual. Lots of beautiful walks in vineyards full of ripe grapes. They all looked yummy!

Tomorrow I go to Villamayor del Rio & decide if I want to walk over the mountains or chicken out & take the bus. Decisions, decisions. :D

Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back