• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From England to Africa - On foot

longhaul

I'm planning a two year walking trip and personal pilgrimage beginning in Spring 2012, which will pass through France and Northern Spain on the way to Morocco and further South. Having walked small portions of the Camino through Northern Spain I would love to walk the length of France on the Camino from St Malo and Mont-Saint-Michel and then to Huesca where I will leave the Camino and continue.
I would really appreciate route advice and map and guidebook advice. This will be the longest trip of my life and being well-prepared is a must.
Please, any suggestions are most welcome.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
She has also written 2 books about this journey - which she did in a couple of stages:-

Slow Journey South - walking to Africa - a year in footsteps.

Sahara - A journey of love, loss and survival.

Another long disatance walker who wrote of his journey is Nicholas Crane in his book called Clear Waters Rising

Janet

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Great Donkey Walk by Susan Chitty and Thomas Hinde tells of their Santiago to Greece walk in the 1970's. They took their young children and 2 donkeys.

I doubt if it will be directly relevent but they do point out the dangers of having maps that were not detailed enough, the problems when paths disappear because of development, the need to lay over for the winter, an accurate compass, and how they came to love and loathe their donkeys at the same time.

Of course there was no internet, GPS, ATM's and light weight gear.

Personally, I think you are out of your mind but if I could I would join you at the drop of a hat. I will not be the only here.

We walked from St Malo to Finisterre in 2005. Found the GR routes the official Camino follows very circuitous, tending also to avoid places rather than go through them so we bought maps and worked out our own route following some GR and some minor roads which was fine, minor roads in France are very quiet and if you take some hi-vis kit you feel quite safe. We wild camped pretty much the whole way which was fine.

We had difficulties finding food and water at times as there are some gaps between places, but we were walking with a handcart so just stocked up and carried more. There is a thread here about handcarts if you are interested. Planning ahead by asking the locals where shops/cafes are and whether they will be open is sensible as the French keep odd business hours which vary from one part of the country to another and can catch you out if you are depending on finding an open shop in a town.

The problems MP points out are all still true, but they are frustrating rather than trip-ending.

The CSJ will have a guide for any of the official routes you choose to use, just give them a bell: http://www.csj.org.uk/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all!

Thank you all so much for your replies, I'll be sifting through and doing as much reading as possible over the next eight months. And as for anyone wanting to join in for certain stretches, you are more than welcome.
I'm overwhelmed by the support, I will get back to you all once I've gone through your recommendations.
Thanks again

L

We are looking forward to hearing what you have planned when you get to that stage. I would also join you in a second....if it were possible. Many of us are envious.
Buen (long distance) Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, it's been a strange few months, but things have taken a more definite shape and unfortunately a serious delay, but considering the alternative, the correct decision.
We leave June 2013. The route is still Sheffield to Cape Town, with a minor alteration. Instead of England-France-Spain, we're now taking England-France-Switzerland-Italy-Sicily and then on to Alexandria.
From then on, Egypt-Sudan(dependent on political situation Xmas 2013)-Uganda-Kenya-Tanzania-Malawi-Mozambique-Zambia-Zimbabwe-Botswana-South Africa
I didn't mention in the previous post that this is going to be a charitable hike, raising awareness and funds for water-poverty based projects in each of the countries we pass through.
At the moment we're working on finding exceptional partners in each country with whom to create sustainable projects to raise awareness of and fundraise for before arriving to work on them.
The main launch for the hike will be this may but for now there is a facebook page,
http://www.facebook.com/thelongwellwalk
Have a look and please keep going with the amazing advice!
Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back