• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From front door to Santiago de Compostela

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Irish man walking to Spain to support cancer research
(I found this in the paper this morning. I have deleted a link to a fundraising site)
An Irish pilgrim is walking more than 2,500km from his home in Co Laois to Spain to raise money for cancer research in memory of his sister.
Eamonn Culliton, who began his walk on April 4th from his home in Portlaoise to Santiago de Compostela, is documenting his trip in aid of Irish Cancer Society on social media. He estimates it will take him about three months to get to his destination. “I am currently in the middle of nowhere on the side of a mountain in Wales,” he said.
“It took me three days to walk from Portlaoise to Dublin, where I got the ferry to Holyhead. I walked to Bangor, passed the foot of Snowden and now I am somewhere outside Minffordd.
“This walk is in memory of my sister, Alice McCann, who passed away from cancer during the height of the pandemic. I just wanted to do something because at that time due to Covid people couldn’t go to funerals. It seemed like her life was suddenly just gone so I wanted to do something to mark it, and this is it.”
Mr Culliton, an aerospace engineer in Shannon, has taken a sabbatical and has not put a figure on how much he wants to raise.
“I have always wanted to walk the Camino. Originally it was supposed to be walked from your house to Santiago de Compostela so I said I would try and do it how it was intended to be done. It is harder but I am also meeting more people as a result. Then there are the days when you only meet one person but that is what it is all about too.”
The father-of-two has been blown away by the generosity of the people he has met along the way. He has been put up in hotels and given meals.
“It has been amazing. I have had a few hairy moments when I got lost and it was getting dark, but I have always met someone to show me the way,” he said. “I was getting a bit down on myself the other evening when I came across a farmer and his wife. The farmer had lost his first wife at 49 to cancer. My sister was only 52. You meet people who have been touched by cancer everywhere and if not, they are going to be, and it gives me the strength to keep going.”
His route will take him to England and then he will travel to France and walk from Saint de León to Biarrit and then along the Camino Way to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great article, I wonder why he choose the route he did though. It would have been shorter to walk to Rosslare and get the ferry to Roscoff and avoid the long walk through the UK which is not the traditional way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It may be that Mr Culliton is intending to walk via Reading Abbey, where the hand of St James was once held, having been brought to England by Empress Matilda during the twelfth century. (What purports to be the same hand is now held in the Church of St Peter in Marlow.) From Reading Abbey, he could take The Way of St James, an excellent four-day Camino to Southampton, designed by the Confraternity of St James. The journey could then be continued on the Camino Inglés.

However this would probably take a lot less than three months, so perhaps he plans to walk via Canterbury Cathedral, another major pilgrimage destination following the murder of Archbishop Thomas à Becket in the twelfth century. From there, it is a superb trek to Dover and then to Vélelay on the Via Francigena, then on the Voie to Vézelay to Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port, and the Camino Francés from there. The walk from Canterbury to Santiago by this route, with a diversion to Lourdes, took me just over three months.

It would be very interesting to know which route Mr Culliton has settled upon, if any. With luck, someone will point him towards this forum, so that we could all follow his journey and wish him Buen Camino!

Last edited:
It may be that Mr Culliton is intending to walk via Reading Abbey, where the hand of St James was once held, having been brought to England by Empress Matilda during the first century. (What purports to be the same hand is now held in the Church of St Peter in Marlow.) From Reading Abbey, he could take The Way of St James, an excellent four-day Camino to Southampton, designed by the Confraternity of St James. The journey could then be continued on the Camino Inglés.

However this would probably take a lot less than three months, so perhaps he plans to walk via Canterbury Cathedral, another major pilgrimage destination following the murder of Archbishop Thomas à Becket in the 12th century. From there, it is a superb trek to Dover and then to Vélelay on the Via Francigena, then on the Voie to Vézelay to Saint Jean-Pied-de-Port, and the Camino Francés from there. The walk from Canterbury to Santiago by this route, with a diversion to Lourdes, took me just over three months.

It would be very interesting to know which route Mr Culliton has settled upon, if any. With luck, someone will point him towards this forum, so that we could all follow his journey and wish him Buen Camino!
Nope, he is going down the west coast of Wales then Devon and on to Plymouth for the ferry to Roscoff.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have watched days one and two as well as the intro. (They cover the reverse, towards Dublin, of what I did the year after the Salvador. Just because it was flat!)
Eamonn, when you do find time to join the forum, welcome, and know you have gained some people, thanks to the newspaper report yesterday, you did not expect to be following you. Keep safe, and may the kindness of strangers sustain you.

Irish man walking to Spain to support cancer research
(I found this in the paper this morning. I have deleted a link to a fundraising site)
An Irish pilgrim is walking more than 2,500km from his home in Co Laois to Spain to raise money for cancer research in memory of his sister.
Eamonn Culliton, who began his walk on April 4th from his home in Portlaoise to Santiago de Compostela, is documenting his trip in aid of Irish Cancer Society on social media. He estimates it will take him about three months to get to his destination. “I am currently in the middle of nowhere on the side of a mountain in Wales,” he said.
“It took me three days to walk from Portlaoise to Dublin, where I got the ferry to Holyhead. I walked to Bangor, passed the foot of Snowden and now I am somewhere outside Minffordd.
“This walk is in memory of my sister, Alice McCann, who passed away from cancer during the height of the pandemic. I just wanted to do something because at that time due to Covid people couldn’t go to funerals. It seemed like her life was suddenly just gone so I wanted to do something to mark it, and this is it.”
Mr Culliton, an aerospace engineer in Shannon, has taken a sabbatical and has not put a figure on how much he wants to raise.
“I have always wanted to walk the Camino. Originally it was supposed to be walked from your house to Santiago de Compostela so I said I would try and do it how it was intended to be done. It is harder but I am also meeting more people as a result. Then there are the days when you only meet one person but that is what it is all about too.”
The father-of-two has been blown away by the generosity of the people he has met along the way. He has been put up in hotels and given meals.
“It has been amazing. I have had a few hairy moments when I got lost and it was getting dark, but I have always met someone to show me the way,” he said. “I was getting a bit down on myself the other evening when I came across a farmer and his wife. The farmer had lost his first wife at 49 to cancer. My sister was only 52. You meet people who have been touched by cancer everywhere and if not, they are going to be, and it gives me the strength to keep going.”
His route will take him to England and then he will travel to France and walk from Saint de León to Biarrit and then along the Camino Way to Santiago.
I'm Eamonn and it was me who walked the Camino last year in aid of Cancer Research. I haven't been on here for quite sometime, Any questions please ask?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi I just saw this on the web while looking for something else. I'm Eamonn and it was me who walked the Camino last year in aid of Cancer Research. Any questions please ask?
How are you? Simple as that. I have not forgotten you, nor your sister.

I have watched days one and two as well as the intro. (They cover the reverse, towards Dublin, of what I did the year after the Salvador. Just because it was flat!)
Eamonn, when you do find time to join the forum, welcome, and know you have gained some people, thanks to the newspaper report yesterday, you did not expect to be following you. Keep safe, and may the kindness of strangers sustain you.
I was on the forum but i let it slip since i returned. It was the adventure of a lifetime.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did the Barrow Way for the same reason!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back