• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Guernica to Bilbao

AlexB

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés
Hi, I'm starting the Camino del Norte on the 19/05 and I was wondering if I can walk from Guernica to Bilbao 30kms+ instead of stopping in Lezama. I have been checking the terrain and there are lots of up and downs, very different from C Frances. A guide calls this bit a leg crusher, it feels intimidating. Asking because accomodations in Lezama area is very scarce.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That would be a very long day!
Lots of ascents/descents and the final miles into Bilbao are mostly on stone (including countless stairs). We did a shorter stage and were still in pain upon arrival in the city. If you can break it up I suggest you do it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I walked the Norte I did this in one day - it was long but the albergue in Lezama was full so phoned ahead a booked a hostel bed in Bilbao.

I suppose it all depends on what kind of walking you're used to etc. And, if you're starting in Irún, you'll have a week of walking under your belt so can see how you fair with distances.

This section after from about Lezama onwards is pretty industrial -with the exception of the final incline up Mt. Avril. There are buses along this stretch so if you decided to walk the whole way and were having issues, you could hop on a bus.

Buen Camino!

When I walked out of Bilbao I slept in Larrabetzu. That is a tough day. Going to Larrabetzu makes that stage shorter evens out those two stages. The donativo there is really nice. Try that as an alternative.

When I walked out of Bilbao I slept in Larrabetzu. That is a tough day. Going to Larrabetzu makes that stage shorter evens out those two stages. The donativo there is really nice. Try that as an alternative.
Thanks that's very helpful, I was looking into Larrabetzu this morning and it's open in May. The Lezama albergue opens from June and the only accomodations around are rather costly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks that's very helpful, I was looking into Larrabetzu this morning and it's open in May. The Lezama albergue opens from June and the only accomodations around are rather costly
I also noticed that about the albergue in Lezama not opening until June.
When I walked that portion I stayed in Lezama, but I think that I could have walked on to Bilbao. The albergue in Lezama didn't open until 3 pm, so I had quite a wait after I got to Lezama around 1:00.

yes it is brutal but it's doable. theres 2 big mountains. one just before Bilbao

I was wondering if I can walk from Guernica to Bilbao 30kms+ instead of stopping in Lezama
Back in the days before Gronze and apps were a thing, the most-used Norte paper guide was Dave Whitson and Laura Perrazoli's Northern Caminos. Their stage 6 was Gernika to Bilbao, 35.5km, so in that sense it might be considered 'normal'.
I think it's at Larrabetzu you pick up the road and buses are available and some of my companions couldn't resist the temptation...
I enjoyed the full stage, which does have a significant hill just before the city. I made the mistake of going for an albergue at the other end of the city, and that made the last bit more of a schlep than it might have been.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back in the days before Gronze and apps were a thing, the most-used Norte paper guide was Dave Whitson and Laura Perrazoli's Northern Caminos. Their stage 6 was Gernika to Bilbao, 35.5km, so in that sense it might be considered 'normal'.
Only 31.2km these days! You used to have to walk all the way to the far side of Bilbao to reach an albergue...

I walked that stage and it was absolutely excruciatingly painful on the legs, my sister and a friend took the bus at Larrabetzu but I continued to walk. I stayed 2 days in Bilbao to recuperate but I wouldn't do that many kilometers up and down again and i think it took me about 8 hours or more, i was 56 at the time and it was the hardest stage on the north by far for me anyway

In principle, I planned to do it, and depending on how I'm doing and the weather, there is the back up of the bus. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year we shortened by staying at a hotel in Zamudio, which is just a little further on than Lezama. If you don't mind the expense or isolation of a hotel, I can recommend this as a reasonable option. The next day we did the long hike to and through Bilbao to Portugalete (east side of the river and then over via the transporter). It was a pleasant, if a little long day. We had a fabulous lunch at a very happening square in Bilbao which I remember as one of my very favorites.

This can be done, but is going to be a long and hard day.
Note that, from Goikoletxea (about 1.5 km before Larrabetzu), you will be walking on asfalt/concrete (with practically no shade) until you reach the base of monte Avril.

Just before arriving to Zamudio, there is an alternative to your left via the underpass, which saves you some asfalt (and time) and circumvents Zamudio.

There are buses from Larrabetzu every hour on working days. Check here (sorry its in Spanish and Basque only) for A3223, which sometimes also starts from Goikoletxea. Also, there is another bus (A2151) which will take you directly to the hanging bridge, but on the other side of the river from Portugalete.

If you are adventerous, you could try an alternative path from Lezama to Bilbao with less asfalt. Somethig like what appears in this track.

This morning I saw 3 people near Zamudio walking the camino. The season is starting...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.