• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Irun to Hendaye

slometa

Hello!
Anybody has information how to come from Irun to Hendaye? I miss this part of my itinerary... What are the ways to reach Hendaye? Thank you very much for help!
Lana

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lana
And if this is about your travel back home by train: you can walk from the Spanish train to the French one. In my recollection it is the same trainstation

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks. Yes I'm traveling by train, although not home, but to the starting point (SJPdP). Actually I don't understand - how it should be the same train station?
Regards, Lana

Hi Lana,
Have a look at the google maps site that rfescotours posted, and it'll show.
You'll see too stations, the one most to the west is for cargo, the one nearest Hendaye is for people.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

How long/far is the walk from Irun to Hendaye train station heading towards Bayonne/SJPP?? I know its a silly question given that I will be walking the rest of the camino. I arrive that day on an international flight so just wondering how long the walk is and if I will have the energy after a long flight

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
travelgirl27 said:
How long/far is the walk from Irun to Hendaye train station heading towards Bayonne/SJPP?? I know its a silly question given that I will be walking the rest of the camino. I arrive that day on an international flight so just wondering how long the walk is and if I will have the energy after a long flight
Ten minutes at the most, nice and easy.

slometa said:
Thanks. Yes I'm traveling by train, although not home, but to the starting point (SJPdP). Actually I don't understand - how it should be the same train station?
Regards, Lana

The problem is there are several train networks that meet at Irun/Hendaye. They have different rail gauges so its necessary to transfer. For some trains its a matter of crossing the platform and for others its necessary to go from Irun to Hendaye.

Here are Wikipedia sites that obtain:

Irun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irun_railway_station

Hendaye
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_d%27Hendaye

From which I derive:
Renfe trains terminate in Irun
Euskotren trains stop in Irun and terminate in Hendaye
SNCF TGV terminates in Irun and stops in Hendaye
SNCF TER (local) terminates in Hendaye
SNCF night train terminates in Irun and stops in Hendaye

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having read all the thread posts, and having spent several weeks over a few recent years travelling as a research tourist between, and sleeping in Irun/Hendaye, I would recommend taking a taxi between Irun and Hendaye. Especially if you're arriving at Irun after long, international travel.

Yes there are regular train/bus connections between the two train stations, no it's not "very" far between Irun and Hendaye; but it ain't a 10 minute walk either.

If I had a choice at the beginning of such an adventure between (1)figuring out the unfamiliar, but short, train/bus connections between the two cross-border/international towns after a long flight, and then making those connections; or (2) walking across the border/bridge for +/-45 minutes between Irun/Hendaye stations; or (3) taking a taxi ---for +/-15Euros, I'll take a taxi.

Once at Gare Hendaye it's an easy train/bus ride to Gare Bayonne from where you catch the train to SJPdP and the beginning of your Camino. If you're late at Bayonne for the last train/bus to SJPdP, stay at the Monte Carlo Hotel just across from Gare Bayonne where you'll get a bed/decent meal for good prices and take the SJPdP train the next morning.

... but it ain't a 10 minute walk either...

Indeed, it's a bit longer in high heels. :p

There is a little 'suburban' type shuttle train that runs between Irun and Hendaye. They gave me a sketch map for it at the station in Irun- I clearly wasn't the first one to need it. I walked to where the little train ran from- and the shuttle train seemed to be running about every 10-20 minutes. It let me off just outside the SNCF station in Hendaye. I was trying for a 'quick change' onto a train that I wouldn't have made without this shuttle.
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
KiwiNomad06 said:
There is a little 'suburban' type shuttle train that runs between Irun and Hendaye. They gave me a sketch map for it at the station in Irun- I clearly wasn't the first one to need it. I walked to where the little train ran from- and the shuttle train seemed to be running about every 10-20 minutes. It let me off just outside the SNCF station in Hendaye. I was trying for a 'quick change' onto a train that I wouldn't have made without this shuttle.
Margaret

The "little suburban type shuttle train" which Margaret mentions is the Eusko Tren which actually runs between San Sebastian and Hendaye stopping at Irun and other places on route. It is inexpensive and runs everyday twice each hour from from roughly 07:00 to 22:00. Check this web timetable for exact times. http://www.euskotren.es/es/presentacioneuskotren

MM

If you want to do something totally different that you will remember for many years walk from Irun to SJPDP. It is called the gr10 I done it about 2 years ago takes about 5 days is TOUGH, but amazing, it is not part of the Camino. It is just really a light hearted suggestion.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back