• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

From León to Sarria

ArthurD

Hi,
We are planning to walk the Camino Frances with a group of 10 to 15 people. We want to travel from León to Sarria by bus or train on April 28th. Can anyone tell us what is the cheapest or easiest way to do this?
Thanks a lot!
Greetings, Arthur

D

Deleted member 3000

Trains and buses go from Leon to Lugo/Sarria or Monforte de Lemos/Sarria. The trains seem to be in the middle of the night.

Monbus is the bus line that goes from Lugo to Monforte through Sarria. There are quite a few buses each day. Check their websites for schedule and price (ALSA will get you out of Leon).

I took the afternoon train to Sarria from Leon. I had to change trains in Monforte de Lemos & wait an hour or so for the train to Sarria. I had to buy 2 tickets: one to Monforte, then when I got there, the ticket to Sarria.

Kelly

molly382001

Camino(s) past & future
I too am planning to travel from Leon to Sarria. I've found train and bus web sites but am running into major difficulties getting the on-line systems to take my reservations and payment. My bank assures me there is no problem with my credit card; therefore, I can only assume the issue is within Renfe or ALSO's on-line systems. Anyone out there had this problem and know a solution? Or, do I just need to take my chances and wait until I arrive in Leon to try to purchase tickets? Thanks for any help you can provide.

fraluchi

RIP 2019
Camino(s) past & future
One every year since 2007
ArthurD said:
We want to travel from León to Sarria by bus or train on April 28th.
In my experience trains are more expensive than travel by bus. From Leon there are buses to Lugo (ALSA.es - change in Ponferrada) just about every hour. Reckon from 3 and a half hour to 5 hours of travel (depending on choice) From Lugo you take Monbus to Sarria. Also here several buses a day.
Seen as you are a group of 10 to 15 people, you may want to consider hiring a minibus. Evaluate cost vs. convenience and time. :|

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
We had to book our bus ticket near the time, 3 months is to quick, a month ok.
The bus people are very helpful, even in the middle of the night which is pretty scary anyway
Bus Ride:
Madrid to Astorga= v. sore bum
Leon to Sarria= one slightly bruised cheek :mrgreen:

Sadly you will be missing some of the best bits.
You'll have to really get to know Sarria so you 'can feel (this part) Spain'
Think I saw some wonderful patisserie shops, sadly had already had my fix of the morning :!:

Buen Camino
David

Advertisement

Booking.com