• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From León to Sarria

ArthurD

Hi,
We are planning to walk the Camino Frances with a group of 10 to 15 people. We want to travel from León to Sarria by bus or train on April 28th. Can anyone tell us what is the cheapest or easiest way to do this?
Thanks a lot!
Greetings, Arthur

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trains and buses go from Leon to Lugo/Sarria or Monforte de Lemos/Sarria. The trains seem to be in the middle of the night.

Monbus is the bus line that goes from Lugo to Monforte through Sarria. There are quite a few buses each day. Check their websites for schedule and price (ALSA will get you out of Leon).

I took the afternoon train to Sarria from Leon. I had to change trains in Monforte de Lemos & wait an hour or so for the train to Sarria. I had to buy 2 tickets: one to Monforte, then when I got there, the ticket to Sarria.

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too am planning to travel from Leon to Sarria. I've found train and bus web sites but am running into major difficulties getting the on-line systems to take my reservations and payment. My bank assures me there is no problem with my credit card; therefore, I can only assume the issue is within Renfe or ALSO's on-line systems. Anyone out there had this problem and know a solution? Or, do I just need to take my chances and wait until I arrive in Leon to try to purchase tickets? Thanks for any help you can provide.

ArthurD said:
We want to travel from León to Sarria by bus or train on April 28th.
In my experience trains are more expensive than travel by bus. From Leon there are buses to Lugo (ALSA.es - change in Ponferrada) just about every hour. Reckon from 3 and a half hour to 5 hours of travel (depending on choice) From Lugo you take Monbus to Sarria. Also here several buses a day.
Seen as you are a group of 10 to 15 people, you may want to consider hiring a minibus. Evaluate cost vs. convenience and time. :|

We had to book our bus ticket near the time, 3 months is to quick, a month ok.
The bus people are very helpful, even in the middle of the night which is pretty scary anyway
Bus Ride:
Madrid to Astorga= v. sore bum
Leon to Sarria= one slightly bruised cheek :mrgreen:

Sadly you will be missing some of the best bits.
You'll have to really get to know Sarria so you 'can feel (this part) Spain'
Think I saw some wonderful patisserie shops, sadly had already had my fix of the morning :!:

Buen Camino
David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.