• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Leon to Santiago - 1st day - Interesting or not ?

scubajunky

I'm starting sunday so would appreciate a quick response, I heard the first day out of Leon is pretty boring ? I only have twelve days walking from Leon to Santiago, would I be missing much if I did not start in Leon and possibly started a little closer to Santiago ? if so which place would you pic and does the Alsa bus go there as I am taking an Alsa bus from Santiago to Leon on Sunday morning.
Thanks in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Astorga is more suited to a 12 day Camino. Leon is a bit far. There are lots of buses, and a train, too.

upload_2015-3-27_8-16-26.png

You do realize that you can start where ever you want?

I cant remember the walk out of Leon being so bad, but if you dont want to walk it, just take a taxi to the outskirts. Or walk to the Parador. Thats a Nice place to see and then hop in a cab from there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hospital de Obrigo is a good place to start. Its about 30-40 km after Leon depending which route you have taken. There are two options after it, one is the quicker shorter route alongside the road mostly and the other is the higher, more green way, 13-16 km respectively to Astorga. Check where your bus stops on the way to Leon, more likely than not it will stop in Astorga and maybe Hospital de O as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Leon is great, but the walk out not so much. A bit of an urban sprawl.
Starting in Astorga is probably better for you and your time schedule.

Thanks guys, will the Santiago - Leon bus stop at Astorga ?
Looks like it goes there.
http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa/template.PAGE/menuitem.a2b8c42c4264a03c66c766c7421000e5/?javax.portlet.tpst=28b12525bd34c9fec845c845421000e5&javax.portlet.prp_28b12525bd34c9fec845c845421000e5=_spageview=%2FSearchExpeditions.do&_kraview=1&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Station Of Origin Station Of Destination Departure Arrival Duration Retail PriceDeparture Retail Price Return Offer From Service Seats Itinerary Observations
Santiago Compostela -Astorga -08:00 Santiago Compostela Astorga 08:00 13:20 5h 20min 23.08€ 43.85€ normal yes showitinerary Santiago Compostela - Astorga - 08:00 (new window will open)
Santiago Compostela -Astorga -09:45 Santiago Compostela Astorga 09:45 15:25 5h 40min 23.08€ 43.85€ normal yes showitinerary Santiago Compostela - Astorga - 09:45 (new window will open)
Santiago Compostela -Astorga -13:45 Santiago Compostela Astorga 13:45 18:15 4h 30min 23.08€ 43.85€ normal yes showitinerary Santiago Compostela - Astorga - 13:45 (new window will open)
Santiago Compostela -Astorga -16:00 Santiago Compostela Astorga 16:00 20:15 4h 15min 23.08€ 43.85€ normal yes showitinerary Santiago Compostela - Astorga - 16:00 (new window will open)
Santiago Compostela -Astorga -21:30 Santiago Compostela Astorga 21:30 02:15 +1day 4h 45min 23.08€ 43.85€ normal yes showitinerary Santiago Compostela - Astorga - 21:30 (new window will open)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good choice to start from Astorga I agree- especially with 12 days- but have a quick look around some of the treasures of Leon before you leave if you can. In 2008 I walked out of Leon on a very hot day, and found it very trying so close by the road. In 2012 I wasn't walking the whole Camino Frances and took a bus to Hospital de Orbigo and loved the alternative countryside walk from there to Astorga- but with 12 days I think starting in Astorga sounds wiser.
Margaret

Astorga is probably your best bet, but allowing one more day, Hospidal de Orbigo is also a possibility.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks all, just realized I have left my guidebook ( no big drama) and my pilgrim passport from my previous Camino( sjpdp to burgos ) in the house, does that mean I cannot stay in the alberge etc ?

Thanks all, just realized I have left my guidebook ( no big drama) and my pilgrim passport from my previous Camino( sjpdp to burgos ) in the house, does that mean I cannot stay in the alberge etc ?
Not at all. You can obtain a new pilgrim passport from the parish albergue in Hospital de Orbigo or in the albergue Siervas de Maria in Astorga when you stop the first night. Buen camino.

MM

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
If you are beginning your Camino in Leon, great. I did take the city bus to Virgin de Camino avoiding the industrial area, then I personally liked the long days walk through corn to Hospital de Orbigo. Some low hills then Astorga, lunch and walk to you chosen village a good night sleep and towards the mountains. This would be the part I would recommend if the person has two weeks to walk. Buen Camino........ Willy, Utah

Well, my information is not usefull for you right now, but it may help others.

I started in León and walked to SDC in 12 days. In my first day a made a mistake and walked too long way to Hospital de Orbigo, mas it was possible to walk to Villar de Mazariffe and in the next day walk to Astorga that would be nice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.