• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Leon to Santiago

sylvia coates

There will be two of us doing that part of the trail. We are not seasoned walkers. Does anyone know if it could be done in about 12 days? We have also thought about doing some of it by bus, if necessary. Can anyone help?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Syl,
Depending on any detours, it is about 312kms from Leon to Santiago. It is possible to walk it in 12 days - you would need to walk about 26kms per day.
If you are thinking of getting buses anyway, you might like to consider not starting from Leon! The walk out of Leon isn't great and if I were you, I would get a bus to Astorga and start walking from there. There are frequent buses throughout the day that take about 50 minutes and cost 6 euro. Astorga is 260km from Santiago which means that you can walk about 22kms per day. This is quite doable, and even if you are not a seasoned walker you will be so proud of yourself if you walk all the way to Santiago!Pilgrim hugs,
Sil

Sylvia, here is what I plan to do: get to Leon from Madrid (train or fly, depends on cost). Take the train from Leon the next morning (first one is at 7am) to (can't think of the town offhand, will get it later if you like), & then walk to Hospital de Orbigo. I'll either make a short day of it there or continue on to Astorga. Does this make sense? :) If you overnight it in Leon, I stayed at both the convent (very nice & for a donativo) & Hotel Paris (also very nice, but $$).

Kelly

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sylvia:
We are doing the same trip and have planned 14 days just to have one day off and to start slowly. We arrive in Leon June 1. But I suspect we will push to do it in 13 days so we can take the extra day at the end of our trip. We are going on to Finisterre.
Ultreya
Rambler

Sylvia,

I did the Camino last fall. I took the bus from Madrid to Astorga. It took 10 days from Astorga to Santiago. This was perfect. I walked with a big group of 5-6 people most days. So we walked leisurely. One of the guys I walked with left from Leon and it took 2 days to get from Leon to Astorga.

I found for my first time during the Camino with a limited schedule, Astorga to Santiago, was great. It allowed me to really enjoy the pilgrimage. I didn't rush and got to spend 2 days in Santiago to explore and hang out with my new friends.

Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to all who have replied to my post. This is just great!!! Since we do want to see Leon, we will try to get the bus to Astorga and begin our walk from there. I am in France right now and will be probably leaving from Bordeaux. My friend will meet me in Spain. She is coming from U.S.A.

You won't miss anything if you take the bus between Leon and Astorga. It's nothing but following a long straight busy dusty road for a day and a half.

Hi,
I am walking with three friends. We fly to Madrid Sept. 10, plan to take bus/train to Leon and start walking Sept. 12 allowing 14 days to get to Santiago. This is the first time for all of us. So we won't miss much if we start in Astorga? Leon is supposed to have lots to see.
All of the info for Sylvia is great to know.
I really enjoy all of the info on this discussion board and have learned lots.
thanks,
Jayne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a lot to see in Leon, but as others have written the walk out of Leon is a slog on hard pavement thru busy city streets. Many guidebooks even recommend bussing in and out of the city. Last year when I walked the Camino I said to myself: if I come back again and only did the walk from Astorga to Santiago I would be completely happy. I loved mountains and Galicia is absolutely gorgeous.

In Leon, you can see the Cathedral, which is nice (but unlike Burgos, you can't take photos inside) & you must see San Isidro, especially the medieval frescos inside. San Isidro used to be a required stop for pilgrims in the Middle Ages.

You can stay at the convent albergue for a donativo, then take the train the next day to Astorga.

dg

Hi Sylvia and welcome to the Forum :)
You haven't said when you intend to walk but since you have said you are not seasoned walkers be careful. 8) Sil(lydoll) has said that starting from Leon means approx 26kms per day - in view of what you have said I wouldn't try to walk that from the start, you are likely to be getting buses because of injury. Either work out your bus bits or start further along the road, as others have suggested, eg Astorga. Try to get some training in before you start

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The airport in Leon is actually in La Virgen del Camino. I walked off the plane at 3 p.m., up the hill to an ATM, then on to Villadangos, arriving at about 7:30 p.m. Fourteen days later I was in Santiago. The first few days are gentle terrain, so it gave me a chance to get in shape for the uphill parts later.

There are buses in Hospital del Orbiga, Astorga, Molinaseca, Ponferrada, Cacabelos, Sarria, Melide, Arzua, and Arca that can be used to skip parts of the Camino. There were a lot of buses in O Cebreiro, but they may all have been tour buses.

We made it! Left Astorga on July 12 and arrived in Santiago on the 23. It was an experience like no other. For 2 fifty-something ladies with no walking experience we did incredibly well. Not a blister or a fall. The first two days climbing were difficult, but afterwards, we felt like teenagers walking. We took it easy on the descents, where most people go too fast and hurt their knees.
We had nothing but sun and gorgeous weather until the day we arrived in Santiago, where it rained until we left on the 26. The celebrations were incredible with concerts everywhere, the fireworks and ¨burning of the Cathedral,¨ the Mass on the 25, and of course, the fact that we received our Compostela, was a great culmination to it all.
Thank you so much to all who replied and helped with suggestions. We owe you a lot.

Sylvia Coates

Hi Sylvia,
Congratulations on your pilgrimage and so glad you had such a great experience :D . Hope the memories are long lasting :!:
Regards,

Brendan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I have found this topic extremely valuable as I prepare for my Camino journey in 2 weeks. I was wondering if there is any way to get from Santiago (where I fly into with Ryanair) to Astroga (to begin my Camino).

Thanks in advance!

ALSA has buses from Santiago to Astorga - 8am arr 13h20: 9h45 arr 15h25 : 13h45 arr 18h15
Tickets are 19.87 euro.

You can book at http://www.alsa.es If you click on SHOW it will give you a list of towns that it stops at.

You can also take a train:

Daily from Santiago to Astorga - 9:04am arrives 14:19pm and costs 26.90 euro.

Book at http://www.renfe.es

jleex88 - A better option would be to fly Ryanair to Valladolid and get a bus from the airport to Astorga.
I did a check on the Ryanair website:

Depart: London Stansted 08:30 Arrive: Valladolid 11:35

1 x Adult 3.79 GBP
Fare: 3.79 GBP
Taxes / Fees: 26.85 GBP
Total Price 30.64 GBP

The Alsa bus:
Departs Valladolid 13:00 and the Airport at 13:15 arrives Astorga 15:30 Costs 10.23 euro

€149,-
I am planning to do exactly this - Ryanair to Valladolid and bus, except to Leon rather than Astorga, also starting in a couple of weeks. The bus seems pretty regular and you can book a ticket online (http://www.alsa.es)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks so much!
I will definitely be looking into the Alsa bus.

I actually already booked my ticket to Santiago (I should've waited and gotten the cheaper flight, and cheaper bus)...arg. O well :D

Hopefully I'll be able to walk from Astroga to Santiago in 10 days...my flight leaves on the 4th (I plan on starting August 24th). I might start a little before Astroga to be safe. Anyways, thanks a lot!

Does anybody know how many days it takes from Ponferrada to Santiago? I'm considering starting from there because of my time restraint.
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is 205km from Ponferrada to Santiago. You have a hard climb up to O'Cebreiro and an undulating route from there all the way to Monte de Gozo. If you can walk 20km a day you will cover it easily in 9 or 10 days. This is what your walking schedule could look like.

Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.4 km
Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7 km
La Faba - Triacastela 25.6 km
Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 km
Sarria - Portomarín 22.4 km
Portomarín - Palas de Rei 25 km
Palas de Rei - Ribadiso da Baixo 25.7 km
Ribadiso da Baixo - Pedrouzo 22.4 km
Pedrouzo - Santiago de Compostela 19.2 km

There are ALSA buses from Santiago to Ponferrada.

jleex88,

I've walked several times from Astorga to Santiago. When alone, 8-9 days. When not, 10 day. So, if you begin walking on 24th, the 2nd you can arrive in 10 days in Santiago. And you have booked your plane on 4th ... so in my opinion you have time enough.

If you begin in Ponferrada you will miss Astorga, Rabanal, Irago Mountain, Manjarin, El Acebo ... buff can't imagine!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

To Javier,
I will be walking my first segment of the Camino in October. I am an experienced walker and am planning to fly to Santiago and spend the night and then take the bus to Astorga. I will have 9 nights on the trail prior to my reservation for the 10th night in Santiago. Based on your posts this sounds doable. I love mountains and don't want to miss the sites you have suggested. Any suggestions on how to space this walk out?

Thanks,
Margo
Javier Martin said:
jleex88,

I've walked several times from Astorga to Santiago. When alone, 8-9 days. When not, 10 day. So, if you begin walking on 24th, the 2nd you can arrive in 10 days in Santiago. And you have booked your plane on 4th ... so in my opinion you have time enough.

If you begin in Ponferrada you will miss Astorga, Rabanal, Irago Mountain, Manjarin, El Acebo ... buff can't imagine!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any suggestions on how to space this walk out?

Just use common sense, try to do the uphill bits at the beginning of your walking days and you will be better off, or even break the mountain stages halway up the Cebreiro (vega de valcarce, portela, a faba) or halfway down to Molinaseca (El Acebo is a gorgeous place, for example)

enjoy!

Margo,

This is how I broke it up:

1--Astorga --Rabanal
2--Rabanal--Molinaseca
3--Molinaseca--Villafranca
4--Villafranca--Ruitelan (my favorite albergue was in Ruitelan)
5--Ruitelan--Fonfria
6--Fonfria--Sarria
7--Sarria--Gonzar
8--Gonzar--Melide (I didn't care for albergue in Melide)
9--Melide--Santa Irene
10--Santa Irene--Santiago

This wasn't how I had "planned" it though. In March there was snow in a couple of places and it changed the amount I had walked each day. I think I had originally "planned" 9 days for this segment but as it turned out, this worked out well. I'm sure once you get started you will see what works out best for you. As I recall, there are albergues in several of the smaller towns in this stretch so you could easily walk either a few kilometers more or less each day depending on how you are feeling and still find somewhere to stay

Hi, Margo.

Yo are sleeping first night in Santiago.

First bus to Astorga takes from 08:00 to 13:20.

Sometimes I've begin walked at 12:00 (when the bus from Madrid arrives) but you can begin walking at 13:30. I would walk to Rabanal would may be you prefer to stay first night in El Ganso. Less than 5 hours to Rabanal.

Second day, (from El Ganso or Rabanal) to Ponferrada.
Third day, Villafranca del Bierzo
Fourth, Cebreiro
Fifth, Triacastela
Sixth, Sarria
Seventh, Portomarin
Eighth, Palas de Rei
Nineth, Arzúa.
Tenth, Santiago.

These are the "marked" daily walks, but there's a lot of albergues, towns and options.

For example, From Cebreiro I use to continue to Calvor (5 km. before Sarria) because when I arrive in Triacastela use to be between 11:00 and 12:00 and it's to early to stop, I prefer to continue. So, next day you continue to Portomarin. As an experienced walker, when you arrive to any albergue and you know there's another albergue in 5-7 km, many times you will prefer continue, because, small albergues has something "special" and different than the ones in big towns.

In October there's no problems to sleep in any albergue.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I forgot to say, if you have enough time, it's interesting to continue to Finisterre, but walking!! not by bus.

The bus takes a three hours trip and, after that, when you arrives in Finisterre and get the Albergue, you will NOT stay there, because you have NOT walked from Santiago. And, if walking (three days) there's marvellous places to enjoy, the best way to finish your pilgrimage.

Buen Camino, to Fisterra if possible,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

You can work out many combinations using the http://www.godesalco.com/plan website.

Once connected to the site click on English.
Click on the route you are doing – Camino de Santiago for the Camino Frances. Click on the circle to the left of the town where you are starting, eg: Astorga
Scroll down to the town where you will finish, Santiago, and click on the right circle.
You can write your name in the space provided, then click on SEND THIS FORM.
In the new page, the mileage between each village and town will be displayed.
Click on each place where you would like to stay. If you are planning on walking 20km per day, click on the town closest to the 20km distance displayed to the left of the town. Eg: Astorga is ticked. Click on Rabanal 20,4km will be displayed.
Then click on Molinaseca and 24,8km will be displayed. Continue choosing your overnight stops until you have reached Santiago.
Enter the dates of your pilgrimage in the space provided.
Click on SEND THIS FORM The next window will offer you different documents to download with your daily schedule, profile of the route etc. I like the 2nd to last option which gives a complete schedule with days, dates, mileages, symbols, sunrise and sunset etc.

Good luck!

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back