• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lisbon along coast

Nat2020

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portugwe da Costa (2019 July)
Lisboa - Porto (2020 July)
There was a Camino from Porto to Santiago.
I am planning a Camino from Lisbon to Porto along the coast. Are there marked roads through Cascais, Ericeira, Ovar. Or is it better then to switch to the main path to Porto?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The pilgrims I met said no / almost no waymarking along the coast till Porto.
The "normal" way passes Santarem, where you can descide wether to walk via Fatima or via Golega and Tomar.
I'd suggest to plan a route to Nazaré (on the coast) and if that's not what you like take the marked way to Fatima and later to Tomar. Fatima straight up north is shorter but has less historic/cultural sites. The Tomar sites are right on the way.

So far I always met some pilgrims between Lisbon and Porto, but it happend not every day. Later (from Porto) company is guaranteed. The famous cobblestone roads are much more common from Porto to Valenca, while before and after you can find more tarmac than cobblestone roads.

Thank you. Last summer I made Porto-Santiago. Sometimes there were nobody on the way.
Now I think about Lisbon - Cascais-..-Caldas de Rainha and then by bus to Aveiro (I have only 14-15 days). And then again by foot. It is on the way to Nazare. And then it is not far to Porto. It seems to me it is the part of "Trilha de areia"?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you. Last summer I made Porto-Santiago. Sometimes there were nobody on the way.
Now I think about Lisbon - Cascais-..-Caldas de Rainha and then by bus to Aveiro (I have only 14-15 days). And then again by foot. It is on the way to Nazare. And then it is not far to Porto. It seems to me it is the part of "Trilha de areia"?
All the abundant pilgrim infrastructure awaits for you on the official route which is Central from Lisbon to Porto. It goes via Santarem and Tomar. I walked there at the very end of Oct, out of season, there were between 2 and 9 people on the given day, so we even formed a Camino family and walked together most of the way. If you decide to go by the coast you most probably need a GPS as I wouldn't rely on the yellow arrows there. I enquired about Camino in Sintra when I was there 2 years ago, no one knew about it in the info centre although it seems to pass through town. Accommodation will be in the pensions and holstels as are no albergues there on the way. I walked 10 days Santaren - Porto + 9 days Porto-Santiago on the Central. If you have 2 weeks you could try starting in Coimbra or Agueda. Bom Caminho! :)

hi,
I made Lisbon to Porto along the cost last year. There were no arrow. I had a GPS with tracks in it and I also recorded my tracks. For accomodations Booking, Airbnb or in camping Orbitur : with credential you have a basic bngalow with a bed and a fridge for 14 € per night. If you want to have an idea of my camino, have a look on my videos on my youtube channel he.panpub (video : 4, 5, 6 and 7 from Lisbon to Porto)
regards
Henri

The Central stages sound walkable there, though not sure about your Espiritual. I stayed there in the municipal albergues in Armenteira and Vilanova de Arousa, then we walked the last stage to Pontecesures. Most people take the boat there. Combarro sounds like a good stop, I liked the village. Your stage Ponte Arnalas - Padron makes me wonder if you meant Vilanova de Arousa there, and then Padron. Are you thinking about taking the boat from Valanova? It goes only to Pontecesures, that's 4 km before Padron. There is a great municipal albergue in Pontecesures, possible to stop there as well.
Thank you. Could I ask when you say not sure about the Espiritual do you mean the difficulty of the walking.?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planning a Camino from Lisbon to Porto along the coast. Are there marked roads through Cascais, Ericeira, Ovar. Or is it better then to switch to the main path to Porto?

Have a look at
www.inntravel.co.uk
and their Palaces and Pathways of Sintra trip.
Not suggesting you book with them - expensive! - but their walking route may give you ideas of researching your own path from Lisbon to Sintra.

Yhank you for useful information. And I just have found informqtion about walk from Lisbon to Sintra (user T, 2016)

I walked that WAY in May of 2017 and found the path from Lisbon to Tui poorly marked.The Pope was in Fatima that month prior to my journey. Pay close attention to the signs if you go thru Santerum, that's where I got mixed up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back